Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee grounds

Options
  • 04-10-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I own a cafe and just curious about other uses for my coffee grounds other than the usual composting etc (waste).

I was wondering if there is a process that could turn these grounds into moulds or even something like an alternative to paper cups.

It would be cool if my coffee shop used recycled coffee grounds as their cups.

Just looking for maybe some scientific eye's to have a look for me as it's something I am serious about.

I know other uses have been "exfoliating creams" and the PH of coffee grounds is around 6.5 meaning its great for composting.

I think per day in cork city alone there must be a couple of tonnes of coffee grounds produced per day. This could be collected for free and transformed into something else.

Another trait i found is that coffee grounds can absorb odours. Dont really know if this is a significant thing or what it could mean if trying develop a new product from the waste.

Advertisement