Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Blueskye wrote: »
    I saw someone eating a 99 ice cream yesterday and HAD to have one! I never eat ice cream, not my thing at all. I couldnt finish it but it was yummy :)

I like the sound of that, always love the whipped ice cream...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks to everyone for the loveliness!! Oh girls I hope yee get a good sleep tonight free of pain. Poor things.

I was looking at the beautiful things on Next earlier. I was also looking at that sheep pramsuit. Absolutely gorgeous!! I haven't a clue what to dress my babs in for the summer either. They'll be so small that I'm guessing they will still need to be fairly well covered as in a vest and onesie type thing? Am I right?

We bought a thermometer to test the temparature in the kitchen sitting room and bedroom with the heating on in this weather as we won't know in summer what to expect for following winter if ya get me. With our fire lighting in sitting room the room temp was reaching around 17 degrees. Think between 17 and 20 is correct for newborns. Our bedroom was reaching over 18.5 with heating on. Interesting!!! I was also wondering about nighttime as in during the night. Would we need to have heating coming on during the night I wonder or what you guys think? May start saving for large fill of oil towards end of summer.

I found a very informative website called whatsupmum.ie The videos are very good especially for me who is totally clueless about minding a baby. I had my hubby watching them too!!! Much easier to remember the info when watching rather than just reading.

My sister said a great expression to me regarding my cravings but its a little rude............. basically its in reference to me wanting everything I see. It was 'if you saw a goat sh***ing you would want currants'. Hope that doesn't offend anyone but I laughed so much when I heard her say it!!!

Haha that gave me a right laugh!

I think you're right they wear the vest and onesie all the year... Must check out those vids thanks! Both of us have really feck all experience with babies/children so any tips are great.

Meant to say, I know some of ye are having problems with dry itchy skin. I just remembered the Pilates teacher telling us that sometimes putting on oils and lotions isn't enough, and if so a fish oil supplement would help. My skin is grand so far but I've been taking the omega 3 on and off, maybe it helped..

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

cant say i have dry skin, though as you just mentioned krankykitty i take pregnacare vitamins and omega fish oils 300mg

I have no clue about babies either,never changed a nappy in my life! what i can tell is check how hot they are by their head temperature. I keep hearing we are going to have one hot summer im hoping not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I take fish oil too, got the pregnacare with added fish oil. People keep telling me my hair looks great and shiny so maybe there's something to it.

Had my steroid injections yesterday, 9.30 am and back again at 9.30 pm. Admissions was lovely and quiet so no waiting. Quick jab and away I went. Found it very hard to sleep last night despite being exhausted but no other side effects so can't complain.

How's everyone doing otherwise? I got ok from manager to work from home as much as needed which is a huge relief. So the dreaded Sunday blues aren't here today. These babies are draining all my energy so the long commute was just getting silly at this stage. Only 12 weeks max to go so on the home stretch :)

• Advertisement

I love the Next baby stuff DoubleB. I bought a good bit in the sales at Xmas so trying not to buy anymore. A friend is giving me some of her son's clothes today and my OH's mother has gone bananas shopping so we'll probably have too much!

We have a few of those theometers around the house, v handy. I find house too cold at 17 degrees, I like it at 20. But we need the stove lighting and heating on a good few hours to get to that temp. Our bedroom gets to about 18 degrees ( which is where babies will sleep at night) so should be ok but I also have a little oil heater I find great for warming a room rather than heating whole house. And I think it has a timer. Would say our heating bills are going to go up next year alright. We're getting attic re-insulated to help.

Must check those videos. I'm pretty clueless with small babies. Hoping antenatal day will help re washing baby etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

It out of stock :( I was thinking that too, there could be cold days or even if you were going somewhere in the evening it could be chilly. It's so cute, I love the suits that make them look like a baby animal!

They had quite a lot of sizes left in Dundrum when I was there last week - do you want me to take a look for you? Were you looking for 0 -3 months?

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend - I'm just back from staying in a hotel with my mum and two aunts last night. Had a mini spa break and it was lovely - a nice way to start my unemployment!

Blueskye- I am also drained of all energy. I foresee lots of naps over the next while. That's so good that work will let you work from home. The commuting is really so draining. I wish it could have been an option for me but just wouldn't work with the job I do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Babies can't regulate their own temperatures - if the day is hot they'll be fine in the shade with only a nappy on and a cool cotton sheet under them. Our ones will be fine and hardy by the time the cold weather comes in and unless its too cold for you I wouldn't be putting the heating on for them - an extra blanket or sleep suit or a sleeping bag (highly recommend for the winter buy the 6-12 month size or 12-18 month and you'll get ages from it) will be grand for them. they are all different - with my first she was bundled up as she liked it nice and cosy but with the small man he has to be kept cool - if he gets too hot it irriates his skin and he wakes up scratching I've had to turn the heating down in his room and I often dry a wet towel on it to make sure the air isn't too dry either. It will all work out!

Just over visiting a friend. She gave/lent me 2 black bags of baby clothes, a swing and a bouncer. People can be so nice :) now I'm on a washing drive!!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »

They had quite a lot of sizes left in Dundrum when I was there last week - do you want me to take a look for you? Were you looking for 0 -3 months?

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend - I'm just back from staying in a hotel with my mum and two aunts last night. Had a mini spa break and it was lovely - a nice way to start my unemployment!

Blueskye- I am also drained of all energy. I foresee lots of naps over the next while. That's so good that work will let you work from home. The commuting is really so draining. I wish it could have been an option for me but just wouldn't work with the job I do :)

I know I'm really lucky to get to work from home.

Sounds like a lovely relaxing wknd.

I need to learn to nap now but despite the tiredness, I keep fighting it! Silly.

• Advertisement

I love napping.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

Hey all, glad youse all had nice weekend. We where away at wedding and it was great to switch off and enjoy self and relax. Really feel so exhausted for work today though. Going be hard keep up the five day week routine. We hav been getting work In house done so not relaxing the same at all past weeks. Need catch up on some rest. Hope everyone's well. See you all getting excited now about the baby shopping. Makes it all so much more real.

I'm an expert napper, only way I got through work the last few months was by sleeping in the car for an hour at lunchtime! Had a terrible night sleep last night so it's such a relief to know I can sleep this afternoon!

Jealous of you getting baby things Blueskye - enjoy the washing!

Lynda, hope you're not too tired today! '

• Registered Users Posts: 3 orls1977

Anyone had an anomaly scan in Limerick maternity? How detailed are they? I have one this Thursday and am so nervous :-(

Hows everyone doing today! I'm like Shakira here today (my hips not lying!) but hopefully it will ease out over the day.

Baby a bit quieter than usual today and yesterday, still doing some moving but not as much as usual. I was worrying during the night when I was waking up as I wasn't feeling much. I did feel a good few kicks when I got up this morning but I can't help but worry and be paranoid, is anyone else like this? It might be just a bit of anxiety on my part.
    MurdyWurdy wrote: »

Thanks for offering to look Murdy, you're very good. My hubby bought one up in Next Blanch yesterday, there were loads in there. We got the 3-6 months as we were thinking we might use it more in the autumn. It's really snug and cuddly! Also got the tutu babygro it was too sweet to pass.
    orls1977 wrote: »
    Anyone had an anomaly scan in Limerick maternity? How detailed are they? I have one this Thursday and am so nervous :-(

I haven't had one in Limerick but I think they usually go through the same stuff wherever you go to? There's a whole load of different measurements they take for all the baby's bits & pieces. It is nerve wracking all right but hopefully everything will be fine. Just to warn you, it can sometimes take a while for them to take some specific measurements (which is worrying at the time) but that doesn't mean there's necessarily a problem, only that baby is moving around too much for them. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 orls1977

Hows everyone doing today! I'm like Shakira here today (my hips not lying!) but hopefully it will ease out over the day.

Baby a bit quieter than usual today and yesterday, still doing some moving but not as much as usual. I was worrying during the night when I was waking up as I wasn't feeling much. I did feel a good few kicks when I got up this morning but I can't help but worry and be paranoid, is anyone else like this? It might be just a bit of anxiety on my part.

Thanks for offering to look Murdy, you're very good. My hubby bought one up in Next Blanch yesterday, there were loads in there. We got the 3-6 months as we were thinking we might use it more in the autumn. It's really snug and cuddly! Also got the tutu babygro it was too sweet to pass.

I haven't had one in Limerick but I think they usually go through the same stuff wherever you go to? There's a whole load of different measurements they take for all the baby's bits & pieces. It is nerve wracking all right but hopefully everything will be fine. Just to warn you, it can sometimes take a while for them to take some specific measurements (which is worrying at the time) but that doesn't mean there's necessarily a problem, only that baby is moving around too much for them. Best of luck :)

Thanks krankykitty, seems so diiferent for every hospital over the country, just want to prepare myself! Hopefully it will b a good detailed one :-)

My second was born in Limerick, well I was in Ennis at the time and Ennis did the 28 week scan - she couldn't get accurate measurements at all - he was (and still is) an active baby I'd swear he was a rave or something! She sent me into Limerick for a follow up scan and they were great got all the measurements for the femur lenght and whatever else. Limerick were great with the scanning, very thorough and professional. Though I did find them preoccupied with the whole gestational diabetes thing, here in the CUMH I'm not even being tested for it (and I am slightly bigger now than last time) how are you finding things?

I love the tutu babygro too! Had my eye on that too but then found it out I'm having a boy - so don't think it would go down well with hubby!

I worry all the time too - I will suddenly realise that I haven't felt anything in a while and get worked up but then a little kick will come!

I'm enjoying my first day off, the house if filthy and there's so much to do. I was up early and pottering about getting lots done - walked down to the butchers and all. Went to tesco and had a funny turn in the queue - got a weird dizzy spell and this nice lady with a baby spotted it and asked was I ok :o I'm so tired now too so I think it's my body telling me that I'm off work to rest so I shouldn't do too much in a day. Going to bed now and making husband's dinner and that's it for the rest of the day

Thanks krankykitty, seems so diiferent for every hospital over the country, just want to prepare myself! Hopefully it will b a good detailed one :-)

Hopefully all will go well, I didn't have mine in Limerick but the sonographer was really thorough so I'd imagine it'll be the same - they're wanting to spot anything that may mean you need extra help etc so they'll more than likely give you lots of time! Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

Well ladies,
    We're already halfway through, can you believe it? I'm just so amazed my body could make someone this amazing!
    I can feel her (yes a girl!!) kicking away, and it's either in the laboratory or every evening between 7 and 10, it's unbelievable how relaxing it feels and how much you become used to it, I expect her to kick every night and it feels like she's playing with us. My boyfriend has felt it a couple times and it just blows his mind :) he is so excited!!

However been feeling so sick, I could barely do anything all weekend and had to leave early today because of it. Also the heartburn is killer. Does anyone have any advice on how to ease backache?

Only a few more months left :') yaaaaay!

• Advertisement

Jennii. wrote: »
    Well ladies,
    We're already halfway through, can you believe it? I'm just so amazed my body could make someone this amazing!
    I can feel her (yes a girl!!) kicking away, and it's either in the laboratory or every evening between 7 and 10, it's unbelievable how relaxing it feels and how much you become used to it, I expect her to kick every night and it feels like she's playing with us. My boyfriend has felt it a couple times and it just blows his mind :) he is so excited!!

However been feeling so sick, I could barely do anything all weekend and had to leave early today because of it. Also the heartburn is killer. Does anyone have any advice on how to ease backache?

Try a hot water bottle or get boyfriend to give you a massage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Hi everyone,
    Boy am I glad Monday's day of work is over!! I definitely had the Monday morning blues this morning especially seeing as I spent most of my two days off for mid term doing school work and all day Saturday in school Spring cleaning my classroom and making it nice for my lil dudes (and they say us teachers have an easy time!!!)
    Murdy- I'm so glad you are getting a rest now. I am very jealous thou!!

I'm the same with the kicks if I don't feel them a few times a day, I begin to look for them! My hubby is also loving feeling them.
    I'm also getting heartburn and sickness. I had typed a massive rant about it yesterday but I dunno where the post disappeared to. I am feelin acidy and sick after most meals and when I'm hungry. Haven't been taking anything for it. Any suggestions?

I ordered some small bits from Mammas and Pappas website on Frday nighti and they arrived first thing this morning. Thought it was great service!

Any of yee fancy sharing your daily diet with me? I'm really keen to hear a typical days eating in the life of a preggo lady at this stage! Today was a typical enough day so far for me. I think I'm eating too much and getting too many calories even thou I don't count calories or know how many are in things. I've been putting on a kilo a week on average I think! Heres what I ate...

Breakfast 7.15 - Porridge with fresh pear, honey and sultanas, made with super milk. 2 slices of Mc Cambridges bread with real butter. Tea, glass of apple juice, seven seas multi vit and omega 3 for pregnancy

Break 11.00 - Fruit Probiotic yogurt(full fat), Fairy cake(It was made for me by a kid in my class I couldn't disappoint her by not eating it of course!) Quarter of a cup of tea with milk. I normally have fruit and a plain biscuit or two instead of the fairy cake!!!

Lunch 1.00 - Toasted Wholemeal bap with spinach, cheese spread, onion, ham, edam cheese slice. Carrot & Corriander soup (full fat)

Snack 3.30pm- Ate the apple I was supposed to eat at breaktime

Snack 4.30 - weak coffee with with milk and mint kitkat (small biscuit bar size)

Dinner 6.30 pm- hubby is making bacon cabbage, turnip mashed potato and parsley sauce as we speak! (I requested it as I've been craving cabbage)

Before bed snack- May or may not have a sml glass of milk and a slice of mccambriges or bowl of cereal or a few biscuits

I drink at least a litre of water every day, sometimes 2 litres.

Please be honest- too much??? I normally wouldnt have the snacks after school and would have dinner earlier but hubby offered to cook today.
    Anybody else fancy sharing a typical days eating????

breakfast porridge and a cup of tea
    ham salad sandwich - peppermint tea
    Snack - a small cake (coz i cant help myself)
    dinner - spare ribs,potatoes and peas - cup of tea
    snack - apple or banana

Lots of water about 2 litres a day

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

My usual day of eating would be the following however this usually is different on the weekends!

Breakfast: Cornflakes

11am Cappachino and flapjack

Lunch: Sandwich with ham, cheese, coleslaw followed by a yogurt

Snack: Apple

Dinner:Steak, Baby potatoes, Petit Pois and grilled tomato

Will probably have a hot chocolate about 8 and I also have drank 2 litres of water today

I take Multivitamin, Fish oils and Vitamin D

Ah balls I also lost a post I had typed out!! Double B, have you tried Gaviscon? I take it regularly and it helps a little bit. I have a bottle at home and on my desk at work! Not sure about a typical daily menu for myself, I'm a bit sporadic and random when it comes to food. But if you're really concerned, you could use Fitday or a similar site to work out the calories/nutrients etc? I think we're meant to eat an additional 200-300 a day or something. I'm eating my extra allowance in lovehearts! Incidentally, they help a bit with heartburn funny enough...
    Jennii. wrote: »

Will concur on the hot water bottle, in these drug free times it's better than a kick in the head! Or one of those hot packs in the microwave. The gaviscon is all right for the heartburn and also soda water is supposed to help, my heartburn was dreadful at the start but I go through loads of soda water now and I think it might be doing the trick. Hope you feel better soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

I've put on too much weight now. According to an app on my phone, I'm set to put on 2.5 - 3 stone over the whole pregnancy which would be a lot on me so I'm interested to see what everyone else is eating.

Generally i eat:

Breakfast: Boiled egg and toast/Porridge with banana & linseed, Coffee made with milk and multivitamin juice.

Snack: Fruit and natural yogurt

Lunch: Sandwich/Salad/Soup - today was a Cheese and Salad Sandwich on brown bread.

Snack: Usually succumb to a treat here: Popcorn, flapjack or biscuit.

Dinner: Stir-fry/Stew/Meat and two veg.

I try and eat fish at least once a week and I don't supplement with anything. I checked out the pregnacare multivitamins but I was nervous about taking extra Iron ect... when I don't need it.

Since I've got pregnant I am trying to eat more : dairy, leafy greens and fish and I am craving more sweet things unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

By the the way Double B, it looks like you are eating really well.

I found these meal planners really handy. It would cost a fortune to eat the variety of food that they are suggesting but I have used them for ideas for lunch and snacks.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a1046500/pregnancy-meal-planners-trimester-by-trimester

By the the way Double B, it looks like you are eating really well.

I found these meal planners really handy. It would cost a fortune to eat the variety of food that they are suggesting but I have used them for ideas for lunch and snacks.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a1046500/pregnancy-meal-planners-trimester-by-trimester
    There are some nice ideas for dinners and lunches on that link couchkitten. I find i want more carbs, breads,potatoes, which i dont usually eat much of as my body usually bloats from them etc but im not too bad at the min. ill enjoy while i can,id usually just have wholegrain crackers or substitute potatoes with sweet potatoes or butternut squash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

Thanks Guys :') I'll definitely try that!!

• Advertisement

Hey all, hope you're feeling good today..

I was still a bit worried today about the movements especially as I had (another) sleepless night in which I didn't notice anything either. Rang the hospital to basically see if I was being a panicker and they told me to come in and get checked out. The midwife listened to the baby and did a trace and there were loads of stuff happening. Funny since I went in I've had loads of proper kicks lol. I am signed off work till next week to rest and not be stressed. Its a bit of a bad week to be off but I was probably getting to the end of rope with feeling sore/tired. It's well worth ringing up if you are worried about something, you can get your mind put at rest by either being checked or being told something is normal..

Advertisement