Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Thought I would do a run through of my experience of what happens on a planned section in case it will help anyone who may be doing the same. Some of the things that happened were surprising/different to what I had expected. Feel free to ask me to elaborate on anything.

Beforehand:
    Sent up to labour ward, test pee, weight check, bp, temp etc. Change into gown and put on a CTG trace for about a half hour.
    Obstetrician called in for any last minute questions we had
    We were brought up to the room to put bags in and wait, and measured for surgical stockings
    Given a small glass of what I think is Rantidine to drink (tastes like Ouzo!)
    When the time came, walked (in my case hobbled!) to theatre with baby's outfit
    Husband brought off to change into scrubs, I went into the theatre

Prep
    Cannula thing put in arm, attached to drip
    Sat on side of the theatre bed and told to hold onto a pillow, and anaesthetist did the spinal. This at first felt like just pressure on the spine but then it sent bad pain down my left side (my dodgy PGP side so that could have just been unique to my circumstances). The other bits he did weren't painful, only pressure.
    Legs started getting sort of tingly and warm and heavy, they put them up onto two holder things on the bed. There was a wedge put under one side, I think. Doctors and nurses were very reassuring at this stage and nice, it was probably the most nervous and uncomfortable time really.
    They put up a small screen in front of my chest so I couldn't see what they were doing, could see the doctors heads and talk to them etc.
    Legs got heavier and heavier, obstetrician asked me to lift them and I couldn't feel a thing!
    Catheter put into bladder and they painted me with the stuff and literally waited for it to dry - apparently if they don't do that, you can end up with a bad rash needing steroids as it reacts with the plaster on the dressing.
    I could feel them pressing on me but no pain. I think they may have done the first incision and then hubby is brought in.

The Birth
    In my case they needed to use forceps as the baby so high up in the uterus - another thing I wasn't expecting was for the anaesthetist to be called to push down on my tummy to help get the baby out (at this point 3 people pushing on bump!!)
    Doctor gave a bit of commentary saying she could see the hair on baby's head etc, then we heard the lovely mewl of babys first cry.
    She was shown to us over the curtain and brought over to the heated area to be checked etc, hubby went over there while the doc proceeded with the rest of the job on me. Baby then got to come over to spend a little time with me.
    Whole thing from start to birth about 25 mins - they brought me in about 10:50 and baby born at 11:15.
    Then hubby and baby went off to the nursery, she had to go into the incubator for a few minutes and get checked over. They finished off the job on my placenta/stitching etc and then I was sent off to recovery, which was about an hour to 1.5 hours of being observed, and was given syntocin (?) to contract the uterus back. (Bump seemed to disappear on the day but it's back to nearly half full size now fluid wise!)

Aftermath
    Was wheeled back on the bed to the room, where baby and hubby were, and had to stay lying down until the feeling returned to my legs, probably about 4 hours of numbness in total.
    Then they sat me up and gave me tea and toast, however by this time I had the whole family visiting so didn't get a chance to really have baby myself. This was very frustrating for the two of us as we just wanted to cuddle her ourselves.
    Once the spinal started wearing off, there was a lot more pain but they did keep me topped up with painkillers. It was still pretty sore there's no understating it really. TAKE ALL THE DRUGS THAT ARE ON OFFER!!!
    Some people get referred trapped wind pain in their shoulders, you can get peppermint water from the nurses alternatively a couple of drops of peppermint essential oil (edible) can help. TMI Alert - I had the trapped wind but it was down the other end (plus I started out a bit constipated). It made matters really a lot worse as you really don't need any additional stuff going on in your lower abdomen. I wonder perhaps the pushing on the tummy might have contributed to it. Not even morphine touched this pain!
    If I could offer any advice, try to start the day of the section as un-constipated as you can (sorry, TMI again).
    You can also get afterbirth type pains - I got these and if I hadn't just had a baby I would have thought I was in labour :eek:
    Had a really painful night the first night. They woke me at 6 to remove the catheter then about 7 got help to go to the shower. The dressing was waterproof on the wound so it was no problem getting it off.
    The second day was also quite painful but by the end of the day things were beginning to improve. Now two days on the pain does come in waves but it helps to be mobile and keeping on top of the drugs can stop it getting out of control.
    They give you an injection every night to prevent clots also, not painful.
    Dressing taken off the scar 48 hours or so later, there was a lot of bruising around it so I see now how things are so sore when moving around.

So while it certainly is not a pain free or easy :rolleyes: option, the birth itself was a very calm and relaxed experience and generally the medics help to reassure you through any scary bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

DoubleB wrote: »
    Yummy KK runny poached eggs!!! Well deserved after everything so hope you enjoyed. How's the Lil babs doing today? Tell me to mind my own business if u like but are you breast feeding? Just interested to see how that's going. Also wondered when you are on morphine are you allowed? Really hope you are feeling much better today.

Sorry doubleb. Missed this earlier. I'm formula feeding. Don't know if they give you morphine with breastfeeding but perhaps if not theres something else they can do. I tip my hat to any woman who tries breastfeeding after a section, it cannot be easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

KK, thanks for that but I have a silly question. What happens to the placenta, do they take it out like a baby? Never occured to me before. Sounds very sore, but the part about taking all the drugs on offer applies to vaginal deliveries too! I'd say you might be more bruised than most as the baby was up so high and had 3 adults leaning on your belly!

TMI but before I went into labour both time I had about a day of lots of toilet time! I was constipated too but it must have been the pressure of the head coming down and I had a massive clear out - to the point where it was days before I had to go again. Plus side to all this is you are less likely to mess yourself during the delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

They used to advise pregnant women to have an enema of a pint of water with some olive oil in it to clear things out at the beginning of the labour so they were more likely to 'keep their dignity' during delivery!

KK- great stuff! Even though I'm not planning on a section, it was fascinating reading about it from your POV. Feeling a bit better today?
    When do you get to go home?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

KK- great stuff! Even though I'm not planning on a section, it was fascinating reading about it from your POV. Feeling a bit better today?
    When do you get to go home?

+1 Great reading.

And many congrats on the new arrival! Delighted to hear mama and babs are doing well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

Kk thanks for info so interesting ! Was in rotunda yest when hit bump and it was scary to see how tight staff resources are and lack of doctors available! Be glad when baby is in arms now! Will be trying to stay at home as much as possible for labour as rotunda does not seem like place to be. So hot and lack staff etc! Was there though for visiting hours and could see all famines
    Come in so excited to see the new babies and would make u so excited Aswel .
    Lovely day out today feeling a lot more comfy now off work during day but aches everywhere by night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

aknitter wrote: »
    Highly- agreed someone is slowing time down alright. i couldn't imagine going to 42 weeks - I was annoyed that the 2nd fella was 1 day early and didn't come sooner! I feel your pain about lifting the 14 month old. I was told not to life my fella but its just unavoidable and the trying to get down to pick up toys is a nightmare, but you can't leave them there as there is a real risk you'll fall over them. Is the 4 year old excited about a new sister?

tell me about it - 42 weeks is torture!

the 4 year old doesn't know that it's a girl but he is very excited. it was very cute yesterday. We went and bought a little rattle for the baby from him and when we got home he asked me how I was going to put it in my tummy so that the baby could play with it! so so sweet - brought a tear to my eye.

It's so frustrating people telling you not to lift things and take it easy - seriously - I won't do any housework, laundry, cooking, cleaning, changing nappies, bathtimes, food shops, swimming lessons etc etc etc!! It's a great idea in theory but the practical side just isn't as easy as that.

For those of you on your first pregnancies - make sure you enjoy it - put your feet up, go swimming, go to the movies a lot, get your manicures, pedicures, reflexology & pregnancy massages because your first pregnancy is pure and utter luxury in comparison to subsequent ones! Seriously - I always wanted a big family but this pregnancy has been really tough and exhausting with the other 2. Anyway, not long till it's over and it'll all be worth it - I can't wait now!! just 6 days till June!! yay!!

KK - as someone who's possibly looking at a section I really appreciate you taking the time to post that.

I'm back in hospital Monday morning - I have no idea what position the baby is in but my instinct is that she is either transverse or fully breech. I cannot wait to see what's going on - I never have any patience at the best of time!!

I hope you and bubs are doing well. You've put my mind at ease a lot in case I do end up sectioned. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

Very interesting KK, very useful if any of us end up getting a section - it definitely doesn't sound like the easy option - you have had just had major surgery so mind yourself.

I'm feeling terrible today. My pelvis has loosened up, one of my feet has reached elephant proportions with swelling and it's sore aswell. I just can't seem to get comfortable either. Anyway I know I've little to be giving out about but having a bit of a moany day. Can't imagine going to 42 weeks either, would be rightly fed up and my DH would be sick of my moaning :)

Ya I told the physio that I'd reduce it as much as possible (lifting) but that it was unreasonable to expect me to not lift a two year old. There is also a lot of man handling with them too! That was so sweet about the 4 year old and the rattle, he'll be the big brother from hell when they are teenagers! :)

Couchkitten - I know about swollen ankles, never had them on the other 2 and I think the time of year has something to do with it. its sore too, I am wearing flip flops to keep the feet and ankle cool. Moan away, we are all in the same boat and have our moany times too.

• Advertisement

How is everyone today? Lovely sunshine last two days! Feeling very nauseous but was fine all weekend! Defo dying for labour now 38 weeks tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Had my baby shower this afternoon which was lovely. Lots of food and giggles! I'm wrecked now from all the baking but that's my last big job done. Just waiting for baby to arrive!

Got lots of cute little outfits and things, even though I told people not to bring pressies. Definitely ready for baby to arrive. I'm 36 weeks tomorrow and I do not want 6 weeks more if waiting so fingers crossed he makes an appearance soon!

Hope you all had a lovely weekend, weather was gorgeous. We don't have many baby free weekends left now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

awh that sounds nice murdy,

Sunshiner hope u get on well today

Murdy that's so nice of a day u had! Lovely idea! We went town and dinner in mams yest came home and got sick few tines and lots of bh and back ache but false alarm just exhausted now !

Hope everyone well

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

It sounds like you had a great time, Murdy! Loved the picture of the table full of food you put up on fb, what sort of goodies did you bake? Fair play to you for making all the stuff for the party- must have been pretty tiring getting ready for it!

Still having contractions this morning- by the time the baby comes my uterus will be worn out to a rag!!! I have a GP appointment later on so I'll raise the issue with him. Really hoping he doesn't send me to the hospital...kinda sick of all the visits there at this point!

My feet look like little balloons. Ok, not quite that bad, but usually my feet/ankles are quite slim so any oedema is quite noticeable. Another thing to tell dr...

How's everyone else doing this morning? How was your weekend? Only a few more weekends to go before we have our babies! Mad!

It was lovely! I had a marathon weekend of baking, my mixer got a lot of use! I made mini sandwiches, sausage rolls, cheese and pineapple skewers, cupcakes that were supposed to look like rattles (but only did a little bit), a chocolate cake, meringue nests and scones. Also punch :) Btw - The ducks were floating on sparkling water coloured with blue food colouring. All my friends baked too so later photos have a lot more on the table! We have so much food in the house. I will be eating cakes all day. Yay!

Sorry to hear you guys are feeling a bit crap, I'm actually not too bad at the moment, just really really tired. Dropped my hubby to the dart station at 8am this morning and got back and went back asleep, I only just woke up in the last 30 minutes! Just drained I guess. I don't feel any twinges or anything else going on so I don't think baby is coming anytime soon. I have my appointment with the midwife tomorrow so I guess they'll check if his head is engaged but my bump is still very high so I don't think so. I'm 36 weeks today.

Hope you're all taking it easy anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

Maybe you are actually dilating paperclip!! exciting times.

I went to a breastfeeding class this morning. Was very informative but a bit scared now that I won't be able to manage it. Seems quite complicated with all the "checking for the correct latch" stuff ect... I hope that I get help in the hospital on the day.

I'm trying not to think about the breastfeeding too much. I really want it to work for us but it's a bit stressful reading all about it when you don't have the baby here to actually try it out and you just don't know what it will be like and how your baby will cope with it!

I'm going to a breastfeeding class in the hospital on Friday too anyway so I think that will help. I'm also hoping to get some help from the midwives in the hospital!

Couchkitten I found the midwives brilliant when it came to breastfeeding - just don't be afraid to call them for each feed. I was a little shy at first - not wanting to call them to check every time I fed - but they encouraged it and I did - just to check the latch. Even on my 2nd. Anyone who tells you it hurts is lying as far as I'm concerned!! I never experienced any pain when feeding - now, I had a few blocked ducts and the pain was unreal but it was never sore when the babies sucked. Anyway, as a result my BF was established before leaving the hospital and I never had any problems. It's so hard to know if you're doing it right - when I have this bubs, I'll be asking the midwives to check again when I put her on. It may sound mad on my third but I've seen too many friends with problems and wrecked nipples - I was fortunate enough that both my boys latched on great. Fingers crossed this one does too.

An update from me too - was in this morning for an appointment and got fantastic news that the baby is no longer breech!! I'm so delighted!! head is way down now and she's fully turned (not engaged but not bothered about that - some don't engage until right before delivery) and we're ready to go - I'm so delighted i'm not facing a section! The thoughts of being away from the other 2 for 5 nights and recovering while trying to mind them all (especially if I wasn't able to lift the 14 month old!) was horrible - so i'm thrilled!!I'm ready to have this baby whenever she wants to arrive now!! the relief is incredible!!

Hope all is well - spread sounds gorgeous MW - glad you had a lovely day and a great sleep this morning.

Highly that's brilliant! Delighted!

I no sounds mean but i did a class and decided it wasn't for me so I'm going
    Bottle feed! But is great thing to do if cAn!

I'm getting sore pains all day and was feeling sorry for self and fed up after last night so getting feet hands and eyebrows done at moment as on offer and so nice relaxing and away from house! Can not figure out of pains are wind or to do wit baby :)

Paper glad and sunshiner hope ur appointments went on

• Advertisement

Some pampering sounds lovely Lynda! I'm still groggy here, haven't come around from my long sleep this morning so I think best to stay in bed eating chocolate cake. I'm going to enjoy doing that while I can!

That's reassuring about the midwives helping Highly - I want to do the early discharge if I can but the only thing putting me off is that I'll need to wait for the midwife to call to me to ask about the breastfeeding instead of having someone around to call when the baby needs to feed. It might be best to stay in hospital for the 3 days but I know I'll be desperate to get home too! Sure, I guess I can see what happens. I might not be eligible for early discharge anyway, depending what happens with labour.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    That's reassuring about the midwives helping Highly - I want to do the early discharge if I can but the only thing putting me off is that I'll need to wait for the midwife to call to me to ask about the breastfeeding instead of having someone around to call when the baby needs to feed. It might be best to stay in hospital for the 3 days but I know I'll be desperate to get home too! Sure, I guess I can see what happens. I might not be eligible for early discharge anyway, depending what happens with labour.

I know you're in Holles St too and what happened with my first is that he was born on Monday at 4.30pm and I left on Wednesday at lunchtime - so I think it's just the 48 hour rule which applies - I was more than happy to go home at that stage too. And actually - having the midwife come out to me too (because I was eligible for it as we were in south Dublin too) really helped as she would ask me to put the baby on so she could check the position etc. it was really great. I'm delighted to be back in south Dublin now (we were living down the country for a few months for work reasons when I had number 2) and I really hope that I can avail of it again - it just saves so much hassle. I had a tough labour on number 1 and she could check my stitches and was just a massive support.

Lynda - neither of my sisters breastfed and as far as i'm concerned anyone who says it makes a difference is talking bull - all my nieces and nephews are as incredible as each other and I don't think my 2 got any "extra" benefit over their cousins. I'm certainly not one of these tree-hugging breast feeding mums - however, I like the laziness of it as for the first few weeks there's no messing with bottles!! We introduced a bottle of formula at about 2/3 weeks for the 11pm feed - got hubby to do some work too!!

highly1111 wrote: »
    I know you're in Holles St too and what happened with my first is that he was born on Monday at 4.30pm and I left on Wednesday at lunchtime - so I think it's just the 48 hour rule which applies - I was more than happy to go home at that stage too. And actually - having the midwife come out to me too (because I was eligible for it as we were in south Dublin too) really helped as she would ask me to put the baby on so she could check the position etc. it was really great. I'm delighted to be back in south Dublin now (we were living down the country for a few months for work reasons when I had number 2) and I really hope that I can avail of it again - it just saves so much hassle. I had a tough labour on number 1 and she could check my stitches and was just a massive support.

Lynda - neither of my sisters breastfed and as far as i'm concerned anyone who says it makes a difference is talking bull - all my nieces and nephews are as incredible as each other and I don't think my 2 got any "extra" benefit over their cousins. I'm certainly not one of these tree-hugging breast feeding mums - however, I like the laziness of it as for the first few weeks there's no messing with bottles!! We introduced a bottle of formula at about 2/3 weeks for the 11pm feed - got hubby to do some work too!!

That's good to hear - about 48 hours in the hospital would be grand. I could do that! I just hate the idea of hubby going home at night without us and sleeping in a public ward with lots of other women and babies! I'm going to talk to the midwife tomorrow at my appointment about it anyway.

I'm going to do my best with breastfeeding but if it doesn't work for us I'm not going to beat myself up about it and feel guilty. I really think it's what works best for every person - each to their own. I wasn't breastfed and I turned out ok, :) I was also a ginormous baby. My friends think photos of me as a toddler are hilarious because it looks like I'm about to eat my little brother I'm so big. I should put a photo I have on the fb page actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I was just wondering what hay fever medication was safe to take while pregnant? I suffer really bad from it but dont want to take anything that might harm the baby.

Any suggestions would be great.

Highly - I'm delighted for you, its such a worry about the healing with the others at home too. Its such a weight off. CUMH said that I can get home within 24 hours all going well (depending on the day I go in, cause I am not leaving without seeing a physio), I'm in Cork city so the PHN will call.

Breastfeeding my two was fine, I didn't have pain but on my first the cramps (uterus contracting) were strong, but were gone within a day and then the second fella had a powerful sucking reflex and once he eased off it was fine. If you are in pain something is wrong call a midwife - thats what they are there for. I fed exclusively my second fella for about 3 months and had no bother with blocked ducts or cracked nipples (multimam balm is great), then he went looking for feed every hour and I couldn't keep up so I slowly moved him to formula - took 3 months but the result was no uncomfortable boob issues. But I have no bother with bottles etc - I have new ones waiting and formula in the press! You don't know how the baby will react or what they will like.

Actually - anyone using dummies get the glow in the dark ones, you'll be incredibly grateful for them at 3 am some morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

Coopaloop Pirton is okay.

Went in for clinic today and they decided to induce me. I was 2 centimetres naturally b4 they put the gel in. So that was at 6. So I'm in for the long run tonight ladies. So hopefully baby daisy will be here tomorrow :-)

aknitter - I had completely forgotten about the uterus contracting - that is painful - and just makes you think you need to pooh all the time!! I also got really bad after birth pains on my 2nd (apparently you don't get them on your first - I didn't anyway - really similar to contractions!) - I suppose we've them to look forward to on number 3 too......

coopaloop - no idea about fever for medication! sorry!

oh good luck sunshiner!! at least if you've dilated you can get the epidural! wishing you the very very best of luck!! I was induced at 6.30pm on my first and delivered at 4.30pm (but didn't start to dilate until 8am the morning after been induced!). on my 2nd I was induced at 9am and delivered at 4.20pm - i'd say the fact that you're already 2 cm means that things might move quite quickly!! lucky thing!! keep us updated!

Best of luck Sunshiner! So exciting :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Good luck from a July mum! :)

Advertisement