Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

Best luck sunshiner thinking of u and dying see a pic of baby daisy!
    Hope all goes quick and well for u ;) exciting!

Sunshine had you many pains and cramps to know u where at 2cm?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

Good luck sunshiner - I hope it goes smoothly.

Another one bites the dust eh! Lets hope we are all soon to follow.

Great to hear some positive feeding stories highly and aknitter. I will be calling the midwife over to help. It is something I would really like to do. I really do think that it's amazing that we have grown little humans from scratch and can continue to be their only source of nutrition for another 6 months after they are born.

Was hoping to do the early transfer home scheme as well but trying to to set my heart on it as I don't want to be running out of hospital before I feel confident of my baby minding skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Sunshiner - congratulations best of luck with it.

Couchkitten - is this your first? I know in CUMH they only do the 24 hour turnaround for experienced Mams and for newbies they keep you in for 2 days, check with the hospital.

My contractions felt more like period pains!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Goodluck Sunshiner x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

It's my first but the early transfer home scheme works from 12 hours .....friends have told me that I really won't want to do this though.

http://www.coombe.ie/index.php?nodeId=242

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

Linda they were like period pains and pressure. She said had it been my 2nd pregnancy she would have gone ahead and broke waters at that stage.

God hope u get some sleep throughout induction so excited for u

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Uh sunshiner, best of luck! Hope all is going well, welcome Daisy!! :-)

Couchkitten, that looks like a great option. I suggest you play it by ear and see how it goes. For the first I think a day or so in the hospital isn't a bad thing. The midwives are great with new Mams, I was only remembering myself being shown how to wash a newborn! You'd be surprised how slippery they are! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

how exciting, another little one!! let us know how it goes!

Ended up back in hosp last night for what turned out to be a 3 day false labour. Dr had a bit of a rummage around down there, they put me on monitor to make sure baby wasn't distressed. All turned out to be fine so I was turfed out again...and yes, still having contractions today.

New pregnancy symptom: pregnancy carpal tunnel! My left hand feels like it's been hit with a hammer. :(

Come on out soon, baby....please...

Ah hat was disappointing papergillard I had false labour Sunday and was so disappointed yest but now just going keep self as busy as can and try ignore all things till I'm so definite and shouting wit pain!
    It's mad my back so sore and cramps and yet we do much worse to
    Come! I'm only 38 weeks so could be another 3 weeks waiting! Terrible ;(

Rest today and hope feel better! I also get that problem in hand all
    Our circulation is gone to dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Worrying that it feels like period pains, how do you know when it's real labour? Everyone says you just know but I'm getting cramps regularly over the last week but they don't feel like contractions.

Glad everything is ok paperclipgrad! And thinking of you today Sunshiner

Everyone I know just said that you 'know' when it's real labour- the contractions don't stop, they get progressively worse and are very regular. Mine were all over the place so it was a good indicator that it was false labour, but still felt a bit weirded out by having them so frequently- usually i got them about 4/5 times a day, then on saturday it was suddenly 4/5 times an hour!! wtf??

Waiting game from here on in.....

EDIT: Remember when I was in hospital at the same time as herself having the twins?? That was 4 weeks ago....and baby is due in 4 weeks! It'll come before we know it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Good luck sunshiner! Hope all goes well for you and we will be dying to hear all about baby Daisy

From FB it looks like we have another one on the way soon! Not mine unfortunately....

Now I'm having stabbing pain down the insides of my thighs and sore back with the BH! Feel like I've been dealt the full hand today. Just 4 more weeks....offer it up, offer it up....

In other news, how adorable are these?

6304_466693603409007_1177143933_n.jpg

<3

Oh my god so adorable!
    On way rotunda for appointment! Really starting get impatient like u paperglad! Going ask what's max rotunda let u go over today!

How far along are you now, lynda?

Sorry, couldn't resist posting more!

For those of us with little fellas...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuQZtckcXlVtg52_tAKj2JVEMEUsLdV59W3SrIHm2FKLc2u4MKPg
    (from this page: http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2012/10/crochet-cuffed-baby-booties-pattern.html)

il_fullxfull.384294371_adnh.jpg

Obviously all these patterns could be adapted for either sex with colours or made in a neutral color.....

• Advertisement

38 weeks yesterday

We're all so far along now, hard to believe!

Just out hospital head still not engaged getting fed up on wait now!!
    Have go back next week! Head down in pelvic but not engaged.
    Don't think anything coming soon for me;) hope feeling better paperglad and thinking of sunshiner

Paperclip, that sounds rough but tbh I hate it when your told "you'll know when its the real thing", I call b*&^%ks on that. I and the hospital were not sure I was in labour last time - the contractions were holding steady at 6-7 mins apart, lasting about 1 minute and was 2cm dialated. Nothing really happened then until the waters went. If you are in pain and worried call the hospital.

Those bootees are really cute, I can't crochet but have a pattern for knitted ones, if anyone wants it pm me and I'll dig it out and scan it.

Murdy - is your cat acting strange? Usually ours avoids any room where the 2 year old is but last night she was constantly at my side, purring and slept on the couch beside us for 3 hours. Its actually a bit dangerous going up and down the stairs so I let her go behind the hot water tank in the hot press today just to get some peace.

Thought I would do a run through of my experience of what happens on a planned section in case it will help anyone who may be doing the same. Some of the things that happened were surprising/different to what I had expected. Feel free to ask me to elaborate on anything.

Beforehand:
    Sent up to labour ward, test pee, weight check, bp, temp etc. Change into gown and put on a CTG trace for about a half hour.
    Obstetrician called in for any last minute questions we had
    We were brought up to the room to put bags in and wait, and measured for surgical stockings
    Given a small glass of what I think is Rantidine to drink (tastes like Ouzo!)
    When the time came, walked (in my case hobbled!) to theatre with baby's outfit
    Husband brought off to change into scrubs, I went into the theatre

Prep
    Cannula thing put in arm, attached to drip
    Sat on side of the theatre bed and told to hold onto a pillow, and anaesthetist did the spinal. This at first felt like just pressure on the spine but then it sent bad pain down my left side (my dodgy PGP side so that could have just been unique to my circumstances). The other bits he did weren't painful, only pressure.
    Legs started getting sort of tingly and warm and heavy, they put them up onto two holder things on the bed. There was a wedge put under one side, I think. Doctors and nurses were very reassuring at this stage and nice, it was probably the most nervous and uncomfortable time really.
    They put up a small screen in front of my chest so I couldn't see what they were doing, could see the doctors heads and talk to them etc.
    Legs got heavier and heavier, obstetrician asked me to lift them and I couldn't feel a thing!
    Catheter put into bladder and they painted me with the stuff and literally waited for it to dry - apparently if they don't do that, you can end up with a bad rash needing steroids as it reacts with the plaster on the dressing.
    I could feel them pressing on me but no pain. I think they may have done the first incision and then hubby is brought in.

The Birth
    In my case they needed to use forceps as the baby so high up in the uterus - another thing I wasn't expecting was for the anaesthetist to be called to push down on my tummy to help get the baby out (at this point 3 people pushing on bump!!)
    Doctor gave a bit of commentary saying she could see the hair on baby's head etc, then we heard the lovely mewl of babys first cry.
    She was shown to us over the curtain and brought over to the heated area to be checked etc, hubby went over there while the doc proceeded with the rest of the job on me. Baby then got to come over to spend a little time with me.
    Whole thing from start to birth about 25 mins - they brought me in about 10:50 and baby born at 11:15.
    Then hubby and baby went off to the nursery, she had to go into the incubator for a few minutes and get checked over. They finished off the job on my placenta/stitching etc and then I was sent off to recovery, which was about an hour to 1.5 hours of being observed, and was given syntocin (?) to contract the uterus back. (Bump seemed to disappear on the day but it's back to nearly half full size now fluid wise!)

Aftermath
    Was wheeled back on the bed to the room, where baby and hubby were, and had to stay lying down until the feeling returned to my legs, probably about 4 hours of numbness in total.
    Then they sat me up and gave me tea and toast, however by this time I had the whole family visiting so didn't get a chance to really have baby myself. This was very frustrating for the two of us as we just wanted to cuddle her ourselves.
    Once the spinal started wearing off, there was a lot more pain but they did keep me topped up with painkillers. It was still pretty sore there's no understating it really. TAKE ALL THE DRUGS THAT ARE ON OFFER!!!
    Some people get referred trapped wind pain in their shoulders, you can get peppermint water from the nurses alternatively a couple of drops of peppermint essential oil (edible) can help. TMI Alert - I had the trapped wind but it was down the other end (plus I started out a bit constipated). It made matters really a lot worse as you really don't need any additional stuff going on in your lower abdomen. I wonder perhaps the pushing on the tummy might have contributed to it. Not even morphine touched this pain!
    If I could offer any advice, try to start the day of the section as un-constipated as you can (sorry, TMI again).
    You can also get afterbirth type pains - I got these and if I hadn't just had a baby I would have thought I was in labour :eek:
    Had a really painful night the first night. They woke me at 6 to remove the catheter then about 7 got help to go to the shower. The dressing was waterproof on the wound so it was no problem getting it off.
    The second day was also quite painful but by the end of the day things were beginning to improve. Now two days on the pain does come in waves but it helps to be mobile and keeping on top of the drugs can stop it getting out of control.
    They give you an injection every night to prevent clots also, not painful.
    Dressing taken off the scar 48 hours or so later, there was a lot of bruising around it so I see now how things are so sore when moving around.

So while it certainly is not a pain free or easy :rolleyes: option, the birth itself was a very calm and relaxed experience and generally the medics help to reassure you through any scary bits.

Couldn't edit this but wanted to add a few more things that I thought of, in case it helps.

It's now 5 days on and I can update you that the recovery is not so bad. The first 2-3 days are quite tough but after that I have been quite mobile and can get stuff done. There is pain still but it comes and goes and is managed very well with the difene and paracetamol. Compared to bad PGP I would say recovery from a section is easier. Now this could come back to bite me in the arse but that's what the last couple of days have been anyway!

There were a few things that I wasn't sure what would happen beforehand, that I only thought of after.

Difene - They offer this in a suppository but as I was feeling very IBS'y they thought it was a bad idea and gave me the option of the oral tablet. I took this and continued to take it that way all through the hospital stay. So if you feel uncomfortable know you can ask for the tablet.

Bleeding/Catheter- There was quite little bleeding really compared to what I expected. For me it was like a period the first day or two and then tapered off, but sort of spread off over the days if you know what I mean. I didn't know what they would do about it just after the op when you have the catheter in etc, but they just place pads between your legs (which obviously don't move with the spinal!) There's also an incontinence pad put on the bed for the first few days. About 6 hours after the op, they helped me change into my own nighty and put pants on (they can thread the catheter tube through those) and got me up to have a freshen up. As it was fairly painful moving at that stage, it was great being able to drink loads of fluids as needed without worrying about getting to the toilet! The catheter was removed at 6am the next morning.

Wound - I think different surgeons do it their own ways. Mine had a waterproof dressing on the top which was on for 48 hours, then removed and there was just steri strips over the scars. You can get these wet in the shower. These were removed before I went home. It's sort of stitched from the inside and the stitches are dissolvable.

First couple of days - If I have any advice I would say don't tell anyone the time of your surgery (or the day, if that's possible!) After all, if you go into spontaneous labour nobody knows the hour nor the day!! I only got to hold baby a short bit in the theatre as she had to go into the incubator for a bit, then by the time I finished in recovery and got back up to the room we only got to have a short time with baby before the visitors turned up. I think it sort of contributed to the hormonal feelings that kicked in a few days later. If I was doing it again and having the section in the morning I wouldn't allow visitors until I had at least been mobilised that evening and had got to enjoy my baby for a bit first.

aknitter wrote: »
    KK, thanks for that but I have a silly question. What happens to the placenta, do they take it out like a baby? Never occured to me before. Sounds very sore, but the part about taking all the drugs on offer applies to vaginal deliveries too! I'd say you might be more bruised than most as the baby was up so high and had 3 adults leaning on your belly!

TMI but before I went into labour both time I had about a day of lots of toilet time! I was constipated too but it must have been the pressure of the head coming down and I had a massive clear out - to the point where it was days before I had to go again. Plus side to all this is you are less likely to mess yourself during the delivery!

Hey aknitter
    I presume they just take it out, not sure if they cut it off or what, or if they just inject something to make it come away...

I was asking them about the bruising and they were saying that it often happens even with no forceps or pushing, its just the cutting/moving through the abdomen that does it.

thanks KK, are you home yet? Great advise about the visitors, its nice to have them but they do take it out of you. My mother is not impressed that they may not get to visit in the hospital, if I can get the 24 hour turn around.

KK, thanks for that but I have a silly question. What happens to the placenta, do they take it out like a baby? Never occured to me before. Sounds very sore, but the part about taking all the drugs on offer applies to vaginal deliveries too! I'd say you might be more bruised than most as the baby was up so high and had 3 adults leaning on your belly!

TMI but before I went into labour both time I had about a day of lots of toilet time! I was constipated too but it must have been the pressure of the head coming down and I had a massive clear out - to the point where it was days before I had to go again. Plus side to all this is you are less likely to mess yourself during the delivery!

Hey aknitter
    I presume they just take it out, not sure if they cut it off or what, or if they just inject something to make it come away...

I was asking them about the bruising and they were saying that it often happens even with no forceps or pushing, its just the cutting/moving through the abdomen that does it.

thanks KK, are you home yet? Great advise about the visitors, its nice to have them but they do take it out of you. My mother is not impressed that they may not get to visit in the hospital, if I can get the 24 hour turn around.

I got home yesterday, so had first night at home last night (scary but got through it!)
    It's just such an overwhelming time isn't it that you really need to be able to chill out with baby if you need to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Glad you got home KK! Sounds like you're recovering ok anyway. Hope all is going well with little one anyway :)

Aknitter, our cat isn't acting any different but he's very clingy anyway so is my shadow at the best if times. I reckon when baby arrives is when his behaviour will get weird! Cute that your kitty is enjoying your company so much!

Had my 36 week appointment today, head not engaged but baby in the right place and everything is well, not a bother on me at all! I may be crap at the first half of pregnancy but I'm doing pretty well in the second half! Had to get my blood taken again and it looks like double iron doses for me but apart from that all is good. Don't think baby will be along anytime soon anyway.

Signed up for the research thingy in holles st so have another detailed scan on 18th June when I'm 39 +1 which is nice. I'm hoping by signing up I'm tempting fate and I'll go earlier than that!

So just knackered tonight, I'm just home after leaving the house at 11.30am. Had a day of shopping, errands and appointments. Very crampy now too!

Advertisement