Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I found the midwives/phns sometimes have conflicting advice so I wouldn't get too upset about it. Our little man is in a crib not a Moses basket and nothing has been said to us. I'm presuming by ventilated blankets they mean cellular blankets? They're just the ones that look kind of knitted with some holes in the pattern. Apparently, they don't suffocate baby if they go over their face. I 'm sure you're doing a great job! There's just so much to learn and lots of conflicting advice as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

yeah you're right. the cellular isn't a bad idea, i might look for a couple, i have a few knitted ones anyway, and a holey one to haha it probably is a cellular one.one of my friends mums just told me to keep doing what im doing as its obviously working. i have a very content baby :) i'll stick with going with the flow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Jennii, I cant believe you were told that about a moses basket, I never bought one for my 3. They only last you 3 months so I didnt see the point with them. BTW the cellular blanket advise wasnt there for my 1st and she's still here!
    Sounds like you have the blues, it will pass, if baba is happy you are doing everything perfect.

Thank you AKnitter and Murdy! :)
    I thought the same about it, I just figure unless you already have it from someone or as a gift, why spend needed money on something that won't last very long. They are beautiful though.

Yeah I was a complete mess last night, definitely the blues, but I feel better today, at least the cry helped me sleep. Hope it passes soon, I'm sick of hormones :P

Jennii, I got mine a few days on the trot! It will all come right in the end. Nothing beats a good cry though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

oh yeah cry away jenni, i did just for no reason. But it settles down. Dont beat ur yourself up, it sounds like your doing a fab job.

Thanks guys!
    I want to just let it out, but I feel like it's totally unfair on the baby to feel so sad, and it's nothing to do with her at all the poor thing! I just feel strange! I'm sure it'll ease up, it's not affecting how much I wanna be with Izzy anyway, so as long as I'm still good to her, I'm okay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

How are you doing today Jennii? We are all here for a chat if it helps. I felt like that for ages and it did help chatting on the FB page etc.

Thank you :) I'm okay, I had a little cry earlier to myself, so that helped a bit. I'd talk if I knew what to say haha.. just all over the place. Hope it won't last long :)

I know, I felt the same - just really not myself and feeling sad but wouldn't have been able to give reasons etc. Are you getting a break at all, or a sleep when baby is sleeping? Might help

• Advertisement

She sleeps through the night.. ONly wakes once, so I'm getting a good bit of rest. I think it's because himself stresses very easily, and when she's crying or if she pees while he's changing her, he gets in a foul mood really easily and I just worry that we won't last through it. I'm sure I'm just letting small things upset me, and there's nothing more..

Also was reading about breastfeeding and I'm worrying I'm doing it wrong... she has loads of dirty nappies in the day, like 5/6 and plenty of wet ones... I must be doing it right so?

She's very quiet, must be pretty content, she's very alert since day one, always looking around her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Jenni how you're describing your otherhalf's stressing is exactly how my hubby is too. He gets very stressed when things go wrong. More upset with himself that he's doing something wrong or that he can't mind her properly. It's really getting to me too. I hope you're doing ok. It really is tough and overwhelming. But at the end of the day I keep telling myself how lucky and blessed I am to have the most beautiful and healthy thriving baby and that keeps me going. Hope you get plenty of rest. I have great help from my family so I'm very very lucky. Hope u get help & don't be afraid to ask for it. I schedule someone in most days!!!!

It sounds like what you're feeling is pretty natural Jennii - sure our hormones are all over the place and there's the tiredness too. It makes the world look a bit different, I think. I think the men are more worried/nervy as well. My hubby is definitely more paranoid then I am. This morning he gave out to me because I fed the baby before changing him which is the opposite of what we plan to do. I wanted to swing for him when he said it me! He was fast asleep next to me while I dealt with a screaming baby - obviously I was going to feed him first, he was starving and I just wanted to quiet him down! It's easy for him to say, I'm the one up with him all night while he sleeps :) It backfired on him anyway because I made him get up and change the baby then, even though it was 45 minutes before his alarm was due to go off.

I had a bad afternoon yesterday where I just felt so blue, I didn't feel teary just a bit resentful of the baby and really grumpy. I wanted to have a nap as I'd had a bad night with but he just wouldn't go asleep. I was getting so irritable but decided to put him in a pram and go for a walk and get an ice cream. Once I did that I felt fine again and it perked me up so I wasn't so tired. Also, I had a better night with him last night so things look a lot better today.

We registered the baby today - it was surreal seeing his birth certificate. He's a real, registered person now!

Aww congrats Murdy! I can't wait for Izzy's piece of paper :)

Yeah I definitely think it's just a mix of everything. He's tough on himself, but he's just the greatest dad, completely in love with his little girl. I'd love to take some of the pressure off him but I guess, until we find our routine and get ourselves together it'll be a little tough.

Hope everyone's doing well!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

Jenni I was same and only now Ella 3 weeks my hormones settling!
    Just go with them it's all normal. My other half and I hav found it straining too although also great. He panics so much more when. She cries and although he brilliant and loves her men just stress more. Also it gets easy to snap at each other too much. We been going out the off coffee when grandparents come visit or walk alone just bring us back normal or calm :)

We got birth cert on wed Aswel was delighted i get it! Said she will get pps number in 10 days now !

Oh that's great :)

Yeah we're going down to Clare tomorrow till Wednesday/ Thursday and mum's offered to babysit for an evening so we can go cinema, might go to the pub after that too for a small drink. Can't wait, it's like a date, I can't decide what to wear lol!

Had a nightmare night with my little one - he's suffering from reflux which means every time I lay him down flat he screams in pain. Was awake most of the night :( I was in tears because I was just so tired and he's upset and I don't know what to do.

My mum is coming over later to take him out so I get a sleep and the PHN is calling in but it's just very hard. He's been so good so far and I hate seeing him in pain. Because he is feeding so well and putting weight on as well the paediatrician advised me not to change anything we're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

Yes Ella started getting that a bit this week. My after every feed but after a few and threw up 2 bottles this week. Last night Ella was breathing heavy and moving alot in crib so I was looking or holding we for night really tired too now. Can't believe she 3 weeks today

lynda18 wrote: »
    Yes Ella started getting that a bit this week. My after every feed but after a few and threw up 2 bottles this week. Last night Ella was breathing heavy and moving alot in crib so I was looking or holding we for night really tired too now. Can't believe she 3 weeks today

Yeah, the heavy congested breating is scary :( My LO always had that and tbh, he doesn't spit up a huge amount but in the last few days we just can't put him down flat on his back to sleep - he's obviously so uncomfortable. We've got a few things we can try out to help so we'll do that over the weekend and see how we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

MW - is josh getting his wind up? Have you tried some infacol which helps them. You can get it over the counter or even tescos. penny had something similar 2 nights ago for 2 nights - she really really needed to poo and was incredibly squirmy. Just wanted to be up. Thankfully last night she was back to normal. Reflux is my worst nightmare. I really hope he's ok. (and you!)

• Advertisement

highly1111 wrote: »
    MW - is josh getting his wind up? Have you tried some infacol which helps them. You can get it over the counter or even tescos. penny had something similar 2 nights ago for 2 nights - she really really needed to poo and was incredibly squirmy. Just wanted to be up. Thankfully last night she was back to normal. Reflux is my worst nightmare. I really hope he's ok. (and you!)

He does get wind up but not much. I'm thinkin of trying the infacolr even baby gaviscon. I'm hoping it's temporary! He had a ggod night the night before last but he was in a bad way last night so I'm hoping it won't last too long and is connected somewhat to the heat.

At least it's the weekend and my hubby will be helping at night and be home for two days. Glad Penny is back to normal anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Sean had a tough time about a week ago and i was like you murdy just upset that I couldn't settle him so I got the infacol and it worked a treat, it brought his wind straight up and he is off it now thank god!

I feel for you, there is nothing worse than not being able to settle them when you have tried everything!

lainycool wrote: »
    Sean had a tough time about a week ago and i was like you murdy just upset that I couldn't settle him so I got the infacol and it worked a treat, it brought his wind straight up and he is off it now thank god!

I feel for you, there is nothing worse than not being able to settle them when you have tried everything!

I know, it's so upsetting! Especially as he is so good really and wants to sleep, he just gets woken up in pain :(

Sending my mum to the chemist when she comes over!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Well hopefully the infacol works quickly on him and all will be well again in the murdy house hold x

Off to tesco to buy infacol - AJ is having a bit of a time with his wind.
    I feel for any of you with first time daddys! I found that for him it wasn't real until the baby was here and then all of a sudden they have a screaming baby and all that entails and a hormonal OH, its tough on them. Though murdy, I like what you did with the nappy change.

Jennii - 95% of my mans nappies are dirty (kinda like mustard seeds) and phn said its fine, though going through a fright of nappies.

aknitter wrote: »
    Off to tesco to buy infacol - AJ is having a bit of a time with his wind.
    I feel for any of you with first time daddys! I found that for him it wasn't real until the baby was here and then all of a sudden they have a screaming baby and all that entails and a hormonal OH, its tough on them. Though murdy, I like what you did with the nappy change.

Jennii - 95% of my mans nappies are dirty (kinda like mustard seeds) and phn said its fine, though going through a fright of nappies.

Every one of Josh's nappies has poo in it - every single one. I have to change him so often as well. He's a machine! I'm taking it as a good sign that he's feeding enough. :)

Hope the infacol helps AJ - all our poor little babies. I read something really interesting that said that babies should really be in the womb for longer - they talk about a mythical fourth trimester. But because our brains and heads got so big over time they come out earlier and their digestive system is actually a bit underdeveloped so that's why they get reflux/wind etc.

Jennii, mine was exactly the same, understandably enough we were both very nervous and tensions ran high! I think he was more worried than me when things went a bit wrong or when we were trying to figure it out. But after a couple of weeks he will get his confidence and you'll both be grand. It does add to the horrible feelings when you're bickering though. Hope you are feeling better today. Getting a break with your mum's help will be good for you :)

Murdy, mine puked several times a day up to a week or two ago, at the 6 week check the doctor said that their oesophagus only really start maturing from 6 weeks on so hopefully Josh's reflux won't last too long. It must be hard to see him in pain though so hope the infacol helps. I also heard something about putting a book under the top end of the cot mattress so he is not laying flat, if you know what I mean? There's foam wedges you can get to do the same thing. The PHN also suggested a small bit of cooled boiled water to help with wind, not sure if it would also help the reflux?

I went through a stage of having dirty nappies at every feed, then a stage of only one a day which was disconcerting! Now, at maybe two/three feeds there'll be a dirty one (or two, she likes to poo mid feed!)

I'm so excited to go out with Edward. Just cannot wait to have him to myself for an hour or so :) Mum's an absolute angel, I didn't even ask her to mind Izzy, she jumped at the opportunity haha :)

There are so many mustard nappies! I just wonder where it all comes from haha. I can't complain though, I'm obviously feeding her well enough :)

Does anyone elses baby feed a huge amount in the evening and sleep through the night? I was so worried the first time, but she was alive and well next day, so I let her off with it haha. Everyone keeps saying that I'm wile lucky, and that it means she's well settled, so I guess it's good, just scary when everything you read says they're meant to feed every 2-3 hours. I just go with the flow and so far it seems to work :) Must be doing something right! I'm feeling way better now, and so is Ed, so we're finally out of our blues!

Jennii. wrote: »
    I'm so excited to go out with Edward. Just cannot wait to have him to myself for an hour or so :) Mum's an absolute angel, I didn't even ask her to mind Izzy, she jumped at the opportunity haha :)

There are so many mustard nappies! I just wonder where it all comes from haha. I can't complain though, I'm obviously feeding her well enough :)

Does anyone elses baby feed a huge amount in the evening and sleep through the night? I was so worried the first time, but she was alive and well next day, so I let her off with it haha. Everyone keeps saying that I'm wile lucky, and that it means she's well settled, so I guess it's good, just scary when everything you read says they're meant to feed every 2-3 hours. I just go with the flow and so far it seems to work :) Must be doing something right! I'm feeling way better now, and so is Ed, so we're finally out of our blues!

That's cluster feeding (there's loads of info online if you want to take a look) - it's very common for baby to feed a lot in the evening in preparation for the night. Josh does it all the time. It's a good sign! :)

Glad you're feeling better about things :)

• Advertisement

Oh yaaaay :')
    I'm just really happy that she's thriving, she's a dream settler too! as soon as the light's off, she feeds and falls asleep, like she knows it's beddy time!!

I'm glad Josh is doing so well too :) I must say even though we've to be nearby all the time, I'm not finding motherhood a huge challenge. It's so pleasant! So far anyway, I suppose knowing there's help nearby is a huge factor though!

I have to get ready to move next month too, back to college in September :P

Advertisement