Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Etiquette

• 04-10-2012 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

some advice on Irish etiquette (my word of the day) that i seen on a website...

http://www.ediplomat.com/np/cultural_etiquette/ce_ie.htm

i found it amusing the idea of some foregin guy reading this before a trip...
    The Irish are not very physically demonstrative and are not comfortable with public displays of affection.

The Irish are uncomfortable with loud, aggressive, and arrogant behavior.

The Irish are not very time conscious and may not be punctual for business and social meetings. They have a relaxed sense of time and may be a little late for meetings. However, a foreigner should be on time for business meetings.

Outwardly the Irish accept authority but inwardly have strong displeasure in accepting it. They also dislike bureaucracy.

The golf course is a major venue for conducting business in Ireland.

The small plate next to a dinner plate is for peelings removed from boiled potatoes.

Refusing a drink can be perceived as insult in Ireland.

Tweeds, wools and subdued colors are recommended.

The 'Old Boys Club' still exists. Whom you know is vital to getting the job done.

It is considered more proper for a woman to order a glass of beer or stout rather than a pint.

so are all the statements accurate? any that you would like to add to the advice of foregin travellers before coming here for business/pleaure?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

P.B.E.

Proper Boards Etiquette!

Did you get the idea for this thread from my one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

P.B.E.

Proper Boards Etiquette!

Did you get the idea for this thread from my one :D

Ye see i really did google it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

They forgot about the weather:mad:, everyone talks about the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

"It is considered more proper for a woman to order a glass of beer or stout rather than a pint. "

I have never seen anyone bat so much as an eyelid at a woman ordering a pint in this country.

"The small plate next to a dinner plate is for peelings removed from boiled potatoes."

Fookin' hell I don't even know what to say about this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭marnie d

It is considered more proper for a woman to order a glass of beer or stout rather than a pint.

I suppose this one depends on who you're with. I always drink pints, but when with my dad once in 'a more elite company' (his words, not mine), he refused to buy me a pint and sat a glass of beer in front of me. I was disgusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Whenever anyone offers you something you must always out of politeness refuse. If the offer is genuine they will offer again and only then is it polite to accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Whenever anyone offers you something you must always out of politeness refuse. If the offer is genuine they will offer again and only then is it polite to accept.

Totally agree...but when you put it like that, we sound so backward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Bargaining is unknown in urban areas.

No tipping culture.

The single finger salute while driving (raised index finger off steering wheel) is common down the sticks, even to complete strangers.
    (known as the 'bush salute' down under, and happens in rural Oz)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some would still be accurate, though it's probably about twenty years out of date at this stage.

In general, no we wouldn't be big into hugging and kissing someone on meeting them unless they're very close family (and a member of the opposite sex). No, we don't like loud and imposing behaviour, which is why American tourists so often get up people's noses. We're not time conscious. A meeting which starts at 10am actually starts about five minutes later by the time everyone gets there and settles in.
    The plate on the left used to just be for your peelings, but I don't know anyone who has boiled spuds that often anymore. Now the plate is for your garlic bread or whatever.
    Refusing a drink is not an insult. Tweeds and wools are considered strange. Who you know isn't vital, but it certainly helps a lot.

And it's more than acceptable for a woman to drink a pint.
    I only found out that this was a "thing" about five years ago. I spent so many years refusing offers of food and drink from the (now) mother-in-law and getting frustrated when she'd ask me about a million times "Are you sure? Really, it's no hassle, are you sure?". YES I'M BLOODY SURE, IF I WANTED IT I WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED IT :D

My brothers used to always slag me because if my Dad offered me a €50 to "get me by" back in my student days, I'd take it without hesitation. Apparently the correct thing to do is refuse it and wait to be offered again. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds like that was written in 1978 and never updated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Yeah apparently the whole shaking hands thing outside of formal meetings only came in recently, my folks said no one ever did it when they were younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Dress modestly and conservatively. Flashy colors and styles, white pants, nylon running jackets, etc. do not blend into Irish style.

When was this written 1972?

It is considered more proper for a woman to order a glass of beer or stout rather than a pint
    Yea, 1972
    It is acceptable, but may be misconstrued for a foreign woman to invite an Irishman to dinner. It is best to stick with lunch.
    This means she wants ya, yea of course, anytime any woman every asks a man to dinner it means she wants a porking, duh :rolleyes:
    If a woman would like to pay for a meal, she should state so at the outset.
    Doesn't everyone operate on the 'every 2nd bill' rule

While I think the above are out dated, I can agree with the majority of the other ones.

This is my fav
    Refusing a drink can be perceived as insult in Ireland.
    True dat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

seamus wrote: »
    My brothers used to always slag me because if my Dad offered me a €50 to "get me by" back in my student days, I'd take it without hesitation. Apparently the correct thing to do is refuse it and wait to be offered again. Why?

Yeah my neighbour back home who'e pushing 70 now, was saying that when he was young he worked on a milk round for a day or two and when it came to getting paid he instinctively said "Ah no no it's grand no" and the boss just said "ok then!" and didn't pay him, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

stmol32 wrote: »
    "It is considered more proper for a woman to order a glass of beer or stout rather than a pint. "

I have never seen anyone bat so much as an eyelid at a woman ordering a pint in this country.

"The small plate next to a dinner plate is for peelings removed from boiled potatoes."

Fookin' hell I don't even know what to say about this one.

Actually still true in parts , my Mother in Law would have a real problem seeing her daughters drink from a pint glass

As for the potato thing , maybe in real rural areas still ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Absolutely hate this. I got to the point with some people we know that when i offered to help and they said no, as usual, i said to them "can we just cut the bullshít. I'm english, if i ask a question just give me the answer".

They said "ah no, sure we couldn't".

fúcking drives me nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

You should always tip your hat to a member of the clergy.

Always have the exact change ready when making a trunk call at your local Post and Telegraphs office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

People do that to pretend that they're not greedy grabbing bastards I always refuse twice before accepting something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Irish middle aged farmers will park their jeep and trailer anywhere, regardless of who they are blocking in, while they go to the shop for a hang sangwich and a package o' tayhos, then spend half an hour talking to JohnJoe about the sileage and how it's a filthy day out. They are also prone to stopping in the middle of the road while driving to have said discussion again, word for word, with Mary and Pat as they drive to the mart.

It is absolutely permitted for said farmer to also drive his wife's nissan micra home at 20kmh after downing 12 pints of porter, in the dark, with no lights on.

Tradesmen almost never show up to do a job on time.

A car double-parked with the hazards on means someone has gone to buy a Lotto ticket.

'Brown envolopes' are common practice in business and politics :D

• Advertisement

Always visit a new neighbour to extract as much information as you possibly can about them, get finger-prints, a DNA sample and never visit them ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it only works in ireland.
    when i had a summer job in an apartment block in new york during a J1, it lashed rain and one of the apartments had a leak. spent ages mopping it up and putting down paper and coming back later to pick up the paper and tidy up.
    a few days later i met the owner, and she asked me to wait while she got me something. being polite, i said 'ah no, it's alright'.
    she answered 'ok' and closed the door.
    still pisses me off 14 years later!!:mad:

Ah heeore, leave eh fookin ouh!!!!!

Ah heeore, leave eh fookin ouh!!!!!

An expression used to diffuse a confrontation or shouted when being detained by law enforcement, generally used by peasants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Dress modestly and conservatively. Flashy colors and styles, white pants, nylon running jackets, etc. do not blend into Irish style.

It appears our skangers need to brush up on their etiquette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Females known to each other socially can always kiss and hug on meeting - continental style

Males and females known to each other socially or by relation can do so in a much less exhuberant way - adapted continental style

Males known to each other socially by relation or as business associates generally shake hands on meeting every time, continental style, even teenagers do it now. This is a return to the time honoured approach.

Men are expected to hug vigourously in public on the occasion of a birth, death, marriage or significant sporting success, participative or spectative. Any occasion outside of this is considered odd, overly familiar, awkward, anti-social, obnoxious, a foreign game or plain qu........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

When some one says "i'll be on there at dinner time", is that lunch time or evening time?

Someone who has moved into an area 20 years ago is still a 'blow in'.

If you're driving around looking for for a parking space, and you see someone just about to reverse into one, it's quite acceptable to drive into the space and take it from them. 99% of the time they'll just swear at you and wave their fist, and they won't get out and punch you in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

davet82 wrote: »
    some advice on Irish etiquette (my word of the day) that i seen on a website...

http://www.ediplomat.com/np/cultural_etiquette/ce_ie.htm

i found it amusing the idea of some foregin guy reading this before a trip...

so are all the statements accurate? any that you would like to add to the advice of foregin travellers before coming here for business/pleaure?

**** that, my woman drinks pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

When giving you a cup of tea, Irish people will often say 'Now' for no immediately apparent reason.

Someone who has moved into an area 20 years ago is still a 'blow in'.

And the people living in the farm up the hill are still referred to as land-grabbers even if the land was grabbed 100 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The repetition of the word "bye" up to seven times when exiting a phone conversation is commonplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Malari wrote: »
    The repetition of the word "bye" up to seven times when exiting a phone conversation is commonplace.

And a simple 'well' will suffice for 'hello'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Back in the day if your neighbours had no phone and someone called you looking to speak to the neighbours wife it was common to ring the door bell and if the neighbour's wife answered you just asked to speak to her husband, then you told the husband there was someone on the phone looking for his wife.

Are there still people who do this? maybe not for phonecalls but in other situations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It is considered normal practice in some parts of the country, for women to get up in the mornings and put on pyjamas on rather than take them off.

Similarly in the same parts of the country, the men normally wear a suit made of nylon, known locally as a "shell suit".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

It is considered normal practice in some parts of the country, for women to get up in the mornings and put on pyjamas on rather than take them off.

Similarly in the same parts of the country, the men normally wear a suit made of nylon, known locally as a "shell suit".
    In those same parts of the country, when young males meet each other, instead of shaking hands and exchanging pleasantries, they will place their hands down the front of their elasticated nylon trousers and spit on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

davet82 wrote: »

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

When someone invites you "to go for a pint"....always be prepared to have at least six

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Bargaining is unknown in urban areas.

No tipping culture.

The single finger salute while driving (raised index finger off steering wheel) is common down the sticks, even to complete strangers.
    (known as the 'bush salute' down under, and happens in rural Oz)

That's b***cks. At least in Dublin. Everyone I know tips, and tips generously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

stmol32 wrote: »
    "It is considered more proper par for the course for a woman to order a glass of beer or stout rather than a pint. go home and sleep with whomever buys her the most drinks "

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on what you're buying/doing. Someone serving at a counter rarely gets tipped, it's usually reserved for people who actually wait on you.
    Case in point, if we buy pints from the barman over the bar, we just pay for the pints. If he brings the pints over to us, we usually let him keep the change (if it's a euro or so).

In other countries, most notably the states, practically everybody in the service industry is trying to shake you down for a few bucks no matter what job they do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's normal for people to be half an hour late.

Even if you say "meet at 7:30 for 8"

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

Too quick. You should refuse at least twice. Anything less is just rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

You must pull in to the left to let cars moving faster than you pass.
    When this is done and the driver of the overtaking vehice has returned to the left lane it is an absolute must that he gives you two flashes of his hazard lights.
    It is then polite to give him a quick flash of your headlights which says 'not a bother man'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

"I'll stick a cheque in the post today":pac:

Tipping at persons descretion for non counter services would be a better description

taxi (maybe) food delivery, waiter/ess, lounge staff

i cant really think of anybody else to tip, i hear hairdressers get tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

I wish I was back home in Ireland. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

You should always spend everything that you make, as fast as you make it.

You should always buy a bigger property than you can afford.

You should always make sure that you buy a newer (insert item here) before your neighbors. If you neighbor purchases said item before you, then buy a higher priced model of the item.

You should always buy into 'if everyone else has one, then I need one too' mentality.

When all of your money is gone, your credit cards are maxed out and your mortgage is overdue. Make sure that you blame the people who loaned you the money/issued the credit cards to you. Surely they should have known better !!

You should always spend everything that you make, as fast as you make it.

You should always buy a bigger property than you can afford.

You should always make sure that you buy a newer (insert item here) before your neighbors. If you neighbor purchases said item before you, then buy a higher priced model of the item.

You should always buy into 'if everyone else has one, then I need one too' mentality.

QUOTE]

May have been true a few years ago for many.

• Advertisement
Advertisement