Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Etiquette

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Shouting 'AH HEYORRRRRRR!' to acts of extreme violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I remember when we were little whenever we went to someones house and were asked if we wanted something to eat/drink my mum would pipe up 'No no, they're fine now' even if you were starving you couldn't ask then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I remember when we were little whenever we went to someones house and were asked if we wanted something to eat/drink my mum would pipe up 'No no, they're fine now' even if you were starving you couldn't ask then!

"Ye'd swear you never got a bite at home". slap.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

gatecrash wrote: »
    davet82 wrote: »
    Irish people like to 'go down to' belfast, donegal or derry for the weekend despite heading 100 miles north :confused:

maybe a dublin thing?

Nope.

We used go down to Limerick the whole time....
    When living in Cork

You can go down to Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Donegal. But by god you go up D'North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

keelanj69 wrote: »
    You can go down to Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Donegal. But by god you go up D'North.

You've just made me think about this and I've realised most of my "x to" directions are based on the standard map orientation.

I live just south of Dublin so I'd always default to "Down to Cork, Waterford, Kerry", "Over to Galway or Mayo" and "Up to Belfast, Donegal etc. ".

Weird, I never thought about it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

B0jangles wrote: »
    You've just made me think about this and I've realised most of my "x to" directions are based on the standard map orientation.

I live just south of Dublin so I'd always default to "Down to Cork, Waterford, Kerry", "Over to Galway or Mayo" and "Up to Belfast, Donegal etc. ".

Weird, I never thought about it before.
    That's not weird, it makes perfect sense. That's the way I think too.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

No matter how bad the service and food you've had in a restaurant when asked by the waitress:

'Was everything allright for ye?'

you must reply with:

Grand, thanks.

You must always invite visitors to your home back no matter how much you dislike them.
    While not actually expecting them to take you up on your word.

K-9 wrote: »

Soooo true!

Soooo true!

Luxie wrote: »
    Soooo true!

"Wait till your father gets home".

My Dad was the gentlest soul on earth, I got a slap once from him, I totally deserved it and he'd a hangover. Would never let a secret from the "job" out, he was like one of those guys out of spooks or spy novels, never let a secret out, til death.*

* Maybe going slightly James Bondish.

My Mam, even at 84, would still scare the crap out of you!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

When you hear a helicopter, it is customary to look up at the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

deccurley wrote: »

Every single time a plane or chippichopper goes over I look up. How those thing appear to hang in the air fascinates me and probably always will.

Is that not normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

"Wait till your father gets home".

My Dad was the gentlest soul on earth, I got a slap once from him, I totally deserved it and he'd a hangover. Would never let a secret from the "job" out, he was like one of those guys out of spooks or spy novels, never let a secret out, til death.*

* Maybe going slightly James Bondish.

My Mam, even at 84, would still scare the crap out of you!

Out of curiosity..............

What DID your Dad do at the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

A uniquely Irish trait that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Funglegunk wrote: »
    A uniquely Irish trait that!

As a child I was led to believe that babies arrived by Helicopter, presumably from some unknown source. There was none of that stork malarky or under cabbages, I genuinely believed I was delivered by Helicopter until I read my sisters 1st year science book and found out about the human reproductive system!! The Penis was also referred to as "a birdy" FFS!!! :D

It is also customary to spread random and untrue gossip by adding a disclaimer of "You didn't hear it from me"

It is classed as acceptable for your Motor Tax to spend anything up to six months "in the post" whilst enroute to the tax office.

It is important to have a knowledge of all things relating to the Headage, Single Farm Payment, REPS and "the CAP" if you plan to have conversation with a farmer.

Wearing your dirty wellingtons indoors is acceptable if you live in a "farmhouse"

Every farmyard must have at least one useless good for nothing dog, whom "I haven't got around to train him in yet, but he's a great dog I tells ya"

A car must only get mechanical attention and servicing if it fails its NCT (National Crock Test). The Oil light is an indicator to service it also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

When passing an acquaintance on the street, it is normal practice to ask "how are you doing?", followed by a reply of "how are you doing?", with neither parties actually answering the question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

If offering someone a drive by automobile, Irish people will offer you "a lift"; If you offer or ask for "a ride" it could be confused for sexual intercourse.

Hitchhiking in Ireland is known as "thumbing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Every single time a plane or chippichopper goes over I look up. How those thing appear to hang in the air fascinates me and probably always will.

Is that not normal?

I'm the exact same....though I definitely don't say chippichopper!!

Never heard that before until now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

mauzo wrote: »

A kid in our family couldn't pronounce 'helicopter' so she called it 'chippichopper'. I just remembered it for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

mauzo wrote: »

A kid in our family couldn't pronounce 'helicopter' so she called it 'chippichopper'. I just remembered it for some reason.

Well ain't that sweet ....

I think we look up to see if we can see them because Ireland is so cloudy! That's my expert analysis

• Advertisement

Smidge wrote: »
    Out of curiosity..............

What DID your Dad do at the job?

He was a Guard, spooks references were tongue in cheek, but he was very private about work.

Don't think this one was mentioned, its customary to give a slight wave or a thumbs up while passing drivers in rural areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That's a great name for it. After all, it does go 'chippachippachippa'.

Is that not normal?

Never mind planes, its every time you hear a car out my way and I'm as guilty as anyone. Being in the country everybody stops what their doing and looks up anytime you hear a car, tractor etc. Even in the house at night hear a car and two people make a scramble for the curtain and everyone else looking at you saying "who's that?"

The habit is hard to shake even when im in my rented spot in the city, though the constant stream of cars means a lot of looking out the window.

Stinicker wrote: »
    If offering someone a drive by automobile, Irish people will offer you "a lift"; If you offer or ask for "a ride" it could be confused for sexual intercourse.

Hitchhiking in Ireland is known as "thumbing"

and when somebody arrives in a car you say "they're landed"

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

Some more Irish Etiquette
    • Wheel your shopping trolley sideways down the isle to ensure no one can get past
    • Stop your can in the middle of the road, any road, to chat with a mate you saw walking, conveniently blocking all traffic

Never ever answer to 'How are you' with something in the negative. The only acceptable answer is 'grand.

If some-one said 'How are you' and a person answered 'I'm......not great' the sky would probably blow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never ever answer to 'How are you' with something in the negative. The only acceptable answer is 'grand.
    There are a few acceptable "soft negative" responses:

"Not bad"
    "Could be worse"
    "Sure, you know yourself"
    "Surviving"

seamus wrote: »

"Not bad"
    "Could be worse"
    "Surviving"

That's true.

Imagine if some-one answered, thanks for asking - well Im really upset. Everyone wouldn't know what to do and probably back away slowly.

Why is 'grand' so common in Ireland? I wonder where it came from.

And also how did this thread end up on the news sites? Do journalists lurk around here every day and see if there's anything newsworthy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

It's funny, I always hated 'grand' as a child and young teen, I thought it sounded really grannyish. And actually still do, but somewhere along the way I started saying it, and now can't help it! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

And also how did this thread end up on the news sites? Do journalists lurk around here every day and see if there's anything newsworthy?

I've heard of Radio DJ's grasping on to topics discussed on AH. "Ok guys, whats the stingiest thing you've seen people do, text us in" and suprisingly the text are carbon copies of the most thank post in the thread.

In fairness that article did heavily reference boards and even named the posters, just bitter my post didnt make it in.

On Topic:
    An elderly person who's had a serious accident, fall, stroke or heartattack is decribed as "having a bad turn" and from there on looks "a bit shook after that turn"

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

If some-one said 'How are you' and a person answered 'I'm......not great' the sky would probably blow up.

A woman I work with answers, "not great actually" sometimes, and then launches into a monologue of all the stuff that's wrong with her, her husband, her kids, her cat, etc., etc.

I try to just say "hello", or "hi" now to avoid playing the role of psychologist.

I've heard of Radio DJ's grasping on to topics discussed on AH. "Ok guys, whats the stingiest thing you've seen people do, text us in" and suprisingly the text are carbon copies of the most thank post in the thread.

In fairness that article did heavily reference boards and even named the posters, just bitter my post didnt make it in.

On Topic:
    An elderly person who's had a serious accident, fall, stroke or heartattack is decribed as "having a bad turn" and from there on looks "a bit shook after that turn they had that turn"

Ah yeah she had a bit of a turn ' for all elderly incidents - she had a stroke and fell and broke her arm, he collapsed and had to have a quadruple bypass:

= He/she took a bit of a turn.

Again anything to do with nerves/ mental illness

He's harmless
    She took to the bed for a week = she had a complete nervous breakdown.

He's fond of the drink is anyone who has lost his home,family and everything belonging to him and is rolling around in the gutter. Only then would some-one be pushed to say he is 'fond' of the drink.

Anyone else is a normal drinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Everything is Back the road

Never front the road, so which way is back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

As an American, I can write a novel on Irish Etiquette after spending a few years in Ireland...so long as I don't write that novel in Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Reindeer wrote: »
    As an American, I can write a novel on Irish Etiquette after spending a few years in Ireland...so long as I don't write that novel in Ireland...

give us some of it. its always interesting to hear the views of people from outside.

• Advertisement

A go On , sure what harm could happen

A go On , sure what harm could happen

Yeah we'd love to hear how you interpreted us Reindeer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Come on, don't leave us hanging! A few choice vignettes would suffice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Never mind planes, its every time you hear a car out my way and I'm as guilty as anyone. Being in the country everybody stops what their doing and looks up anytime you hear a car, tractor etc. Even in the house at night hear a car and two people make a scramble for the curtain and everyone else looking at you saying "who's that?"

The habit is hard to shake even when im in my rented spot in the city, though the constant stream of cars means a lot of looking out the window.

and when somebody arrives in a car you say "they're landed"

I would look up if tractors and cars where up there:p

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

We will often say "go way" this in turn is the polite or more formal version of ***** off* when receiving shocking or interesting news.
    It does not imply you need to remove yourself from presence.

• Advertisement

Angeles wrote: »
    We will often say "go way" this in turn is the polite or more formal version of ***** off* when receiving shocking or interesting news.

Mouth hanging open. Shocked face. 'Go. A. Way.'

You could see how a foreigner could get confused with that one alright.

seamus wrote: »

"Not bad"
    "Could be worse"
    "Surviving"

"Middlin" is another acceptable response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I love 'I will in me hole'.

Household Charge anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Angeles wrote: »
    Go'way'ou'o'tha'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

To add to the understatement side of things, if someone has a mental breakdown in the middle of the street then "he went directing traffic one night".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

He's in for some land (the young lad is in for a shock when he hears the news you've just learned of)

It was catmalojin (it was really bad)

I will in me bollix (there is no way I'm going to do what you say)

Ah would ya F off (replying to someone who has just given you incredulous news)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

pauldla wrote: »

I honestly didn't mean to tease you guys. It was a bit late for me when I so curtly replied. I was just agreeing with earlier posts that had mentioned the Irish are quite adept at giving out to one another, and no one outside that Irish club is allowed to join in. But, aren't most clubs such a way?

I'll preface this with the fact that Americans, especially a Texan as I am, are certainly not without their faults. As with any sweeping generality, your mileage most certainly will vary. However, oddly enough, Texans share a lot in common with the Irish when you can look past the firearms and cowboy hats. Southerners are all about keeping up appearances and killing people with kindness, and smiling when it hurts. The calm and the politeness, or at least the appearance of it, is extremely important in both places. This has all sorts of unintended consequences for the both of us.

A nice harmless example is 'tea'. Nowhere in the world have I had to struggle with the formalities of being offered a tea so much as my first visit to Ireland. Texans are used to having their Tea red, cold, and maybe with some sugar. Drinking tea hot was an extremely rare event. We drink hot coffee during the 2-3 weeks of winter. So, at first, I honestly wasn't really eager to accept a warm mug of tea. The first time I was offered some by my Irish GF's mother, maybe 15 years ago or so, it went something like this:

"Cup o' tea?"

"Pardon?"

"You'll have some tea will you?"

"Oh, thanks. But, we must be going soon."

"Just a cup of tea then..."

"Oh no, thank you so much. I'm fine, really."

"Oh sure, you'll have some tea."

"Oh no, please don't put yourself out. I am perfectly fine. We'll only be here a moment before we've got to catch the bus"

"Oh you're silly. Sugar?" In Texas, it is very common for a woman that is your senior to refer to a man as 'sugar' or 'hon', in politeness. So, I was surprised to see some tea arrive moments later after I gave her a smile and a nod. I thought she simply had said, "You're silly, Sugar".

She dropped 2 lumps into the mug before me.

"Milk?"

"Oh, nah. Uh, plain is fine for me, thanks."

"Ah, you'll have a bit of milk."

"Oh, really this is just fine", I replied in earnest. Tea with milk? It was an odd suggestion for me at the time.

"Sure have some milk"

"That's really very kind to offer, but I'm -"

"Not a bother", She immediately poured milk in to my tea.

I tried not to act surprised. At this point I was curious to see how it would taste and was about to give it a try.

"Oh ohohoh. Wait." she admonished me. I stopped my drinking, and looked up to see her disappear from the room. Moments later she sticks her head out from the kitchen doorway and says,

"Biscuit?"

"Uh..." Still being new to Ireland, I thought she was literally offering me something like a scone or a danish. In any case, I was beginning to become confused by the whole tea process.

"I couldn't possibly. I'm really only just here for a few, you know. "

"We've some bourbons.", she looked at me and smiled.

"Bourbons? Oh, thanks really. The tea is more than enough."

She presented herself from around the corner holding a tray heavy with 'cookies' and a few other baked goods I didn't recognize, and I had my first tea and biscuits in Ireland..

In Texas, that exchange does't even really exist. If you are a visitor, you are simply politely presented with some iced tea without a word being said. If you are at the door, or may be in a hurry, you are offered a tea so as not to be rude, but with the full expectation of it being turned down if it is the case the person truly must be on their way with something like, 'Oh, no, thank you. I must be going." Which if you'll notice, was about my first reply up above.

I learned to never turn down an offer of tea in Ireland; want it or not.

I ended up getting hooked on the tea - absolutely love it now and couldn't start the day without it. Especially love it with a smoke. Cheers.

Did you just make the Borg into the Irish Mammy

Resistance is futile we have tae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

pauldla wrote: »

I honestly didn't mean to tease you guys. It was a bit late for me when I so curtly replied. I was just agreeing with earlier posts that had mentioned the Irish are quite adept at giving out to one another, and no one outside that Irish club is allowed to join in. But, aren't most clubs such a way?

I'll preface this with the fact that Americans, especially a Texan as I am, are certainly not without their faults. As with any sweeping generality, your mileage most certainly will vary. However, oddly enough, Texans share a lot in common with the Irish when you can look past the firearms and cowboy hats. Southerners are all about keeping up appearances and killing people with kindness, and smiling when it hurts. The calm and the politeness, or at least the appearance of it, is extremely important in both places. This has all sorts of unintended consequences for the both of us.

A nice harmless example is 'tea'. Nowhere in the world have I had to struggle with the formalities of being offered a tea so much as my first visit to Ireland. Texans are used to having their Tea red, cold, and maybe with some sugar. Drinking tea hot was an extremely rare event. We drink hot coffee during the 2-3 weeks of winter. So, at first, I honestly wasn't really eager to accept a warm mug of tea. The first time I was offered some by my Irish GF's mother, maybe 15 years ago or so, it went something like this:

"Cup o' tea?"

"Pardon?"

"You'll have some tea will you?"

"Oh, thanks. But, we must be going soon."

"Just a cup of tea then..."

"Oh no, thank you so much. I'm fine, really."

"Oh sure, you'll have some tea."

"Oh no, please don't put yourself out. I am perfectly fine. We'll only be here a moment before we've got to catch the bus"

"Oh you're silly. Sugar?" In Texas, it is very common for a woman that is your senior to refer to a man as 'sugar' or 'hon', in politeness. So, I was surprised to see some tea arrive moments later after I gave her a smile and a nod. I thought she simply had said, "You're silly, Sugar".

She dropped 2 lumps into the mug before me.

"Milk?"

"Oh, nah. Uh, plain is fine for me, thanks."

"Ah, you'll have a bit of milk."

"Oh, really this is just fine", I replied in earnest. Tea with milk? It was an odd suggestion for me at the time.

"Sure have some milk"

"That's really very kind to offer, but I'm -"

"Not a bother", She immediately poured milk in to my tea.

I tried not to act surprised. At this point I was curious to see how it would taste and was about to give it a try.

"Oh ohohoh. Wait." she admonished me. I stopped my drinking, and looked up to see her disappear from the room. Moments later she sticks her head out from the kitchen doorway and says,

"Biscuit?"

"Uh..." Still being new to Ireland, I thought she was literally offering me something like a scone or a danish. In any case, I was beginning to become confused by the whole tea process.

"I couldn't possibly. I'm really only just here for a few, you know. "

"We've some bourbons.", she looked at me and smiled.

"Bourbons? Oh, thanks really. The tea is more than enough."

She presented herself from around the corner holding a tray heavy with 'cookies' and a few other baked goods I didn't recognize, and I had my first tea and biscuits in Ireland..

In Texas, that exchange does't even really exist. If you are a visitor, you are simply politely presented with some iced tea without a word being said. If you are at the door, or may be in a hurry, you are offered a tea so as not to be rude, but with the full expectation of it being turned down if it is the case the person truly must be on their way with something like, 'Oh, no, thank you. I must be going." Which if you'll notice, was about my first reply up above.

I learned to never turn down an offer of tea in Ireland; want it or not.

I ended up getting hooked on the tea - absolutely love it now and couldn't start the day without it. Especially love it with a smoke. Cheers.

The appropriate response to ''You'll have a cup?'' is either ''Gasping!'' or ''I'd love a cup''.

Brilliant! Keep 'em coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

davet82 wrote: »
    some advice on Irish etiquette (my word of the day) that i seen on a website...

http://www.ediplomat.com/np/cultural_etiquette/ce_ie.htm

i found it amusing the idea of some foregin guy reading this before a trip...

so are all the statements accurate? any that you would like to add to the advice of foregin travellers before coming here for business/pleaure?
    You missed the most important one......

Always buy your round of drinks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement