Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Piper Group enters Receivership

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

for the month of aug for a week back when i used do security in pebble beach twas €750 for weeks stay

Was that? August is commonly the peak time. Many accommodation businesses, across the country, increase their prices during peak season. August used to be one of the busiest months in Tramore long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

prices for accomodation are normally put up on 1st of june prices need to come down was talking to a few holiday makers during the summer and they said they would of been better going abroad its actually cheapoer going abroad than holidaying in ireland

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

tramoreman wrote: »
    prices for accomodation are normally put up on 1st of june prices need to come down was talking to a few holiday makers during the summer and they said they would of been better going abroad its actually cheapoer going abroad than holidaying in ireland

Most of them simply cant go lower. Many are not being greedy - if they dropped the prices they would be out of business. Tramore is fairly cheap compared to other counties for accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Sully wrote: »
    Most of them simply cant go lower. Many are not being greedy - if they dropped the prices they would be out of business. Tramore is fairly cheap compared to other counties for accommodation.
    if they can't then what should come to play here is value for money, business's need to start working together like e.g. pebble beach three nights stay and an evening meal in esquire 150 for two people or weeks family stay during summer and passes for amusements

• Registered Users Posts: 29 xperi

when will the "showmen" finally accept that unless they offer a family pass for the amusements things are gonna keep getting worse & as some one suggested a package for families accomadation & passes included, but they wont their only intrested in their little patch , too many of em to aggree on anything & the fact that most of em hate each other dont help, Tramore is chasing a dying sector of the market, i wont holiday in ireland with the kids , having to leave a hotel bar at 9pm & go to ur room if u have children is nonsense, i got 2 well behaved children why cant we listen to some music or sit and have a nice chat in a hotel bar till 11pm during holiday time, Spain is ur only answer cheap (ish) sun, bars where the kids can sit till whatever time they wont,

• Advertisement

i was talking to a someone on june bank holiday weekend the person told me they are normally down before june for a week the june bank holiday they were down which was friday sat sun they were charged the same price for both holidays

if they can't then what should come to play here is value for money, business's need to start working together like e.g. pebble beach three nights stay and an evening meal in esquire 150 for two people or weeks family stay during summer and passes for amusements

Completely agree with you. This is something I have tried to do over the past few months but I haven't had much (bar one business, Pirates Adventure) agreeing. Ill be trying again for next summer.
    tramoreman wrote: »
    i was talking to a someone on june bank holiday weekend the person told me they are normally down before june for a week the june bank holiday they were down which was friday sat sun they were charged the same price for both holidays

If I am reading this right, they were charged the same rate before the June Bank Holiday and after/during? Either way, the rates would be the same throughout June for a lot of businesses and may start in May.

xperi wrote: »
    having to leave a hotel bar at 9pm & go to ur room if u have children is nonsense, i got 2 well behaved children why cant we listen to some music or sit and have a nice chat in a hotel bar till 11pm during holiday time, Spain is ur only answer cheap (ish) sun, bars where the kids can sit till whatever time they wont,

Just on this note. This is a law in Ireland which bars are supposed to enforce. Some do, some don't. I was at an event in a hotel in the town some weeks ago and a group of people were really annoyed that there were kids in the bar. Cant please everyone I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I think Tramore has a lot of problems these days that are also problems on a National scale.

Paying for Parking down on the Prom is one of them and especially the fact that the Parking facilities are poor on the Prom and in a lot of places in Tramore.

I think another small problem is which maybe Insignificant to some but the Population is ageing in Tramore in my personal opinion but you may find some census data to verify that, But that may be also a problem, I for one don't see as many young people around as I did years ago and I don't see overall as many people around these days at night.

I think it maybe because of Lack of money and also lack of Job opportunities in Tramore and the South-east, maybe younger people have moved away from the town and the town is not as attractive. Also don't forget the South east as a unemployment rate of just over 20%. Waterford has a unemployment rate Between a phenomenal 25 and 29% -

I'm just entering the deeper issues here to be honest and the consequences of high unemployment and low consumer spending.

Also the fact that Freddie employed 50+ people which are now also unemployed and some bars now closed with it and the amusements are at risk.

Tramore is a lovely place, relaxing and lovely prom and scenery. But Tramore's future needs to be decided who is the town looking to attract nowadays with Cheap holidays abroad? What market does the town have in 2012? And what path is it willing to take to safe itself and make the town grow?

With a crumbling Economy in Ireland and lack of funding nowadays for projects and growth in the Town. Something needs to be done that is Cost-effective and just magnificent. Tourism may not be the way forward anymore, everything seems to be going against Tramore nowadays with Cheaper options.

How long are we going to continue on this path of self-destruction? The market is declining rapidly, How many bars or shops will Continue to shut before action is taken? How many jobs could be lost next? And what about the Amusements which is Tramore's heart and a way of bringing in the tourists?

I'm going to aim for Positivty from now and the community and TDs must work together to sort out the problems before time runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I have said this before but... it works for my Wife so here goe's,
    Tramore is following a tourist market that no longer exists, Tramore of the fifties sixties and even some of the seventies where you had a captive market who could not travel to Spain cheaply, but now the world is your oyster at the same or cheaper price than a week in Tramore.So Tramore has to make a choice of where it is going to get it's business from and change, or just become a dormitory town of Waterford .
    It is as simple as that, but it will dribble on for years as it is a group of individuals who make handy bucks at what they are doing and don't really think about "up the town".
    The proposed surf building is a move in the right direction IMO but we will wait and see can that be financed.
    I live not to far from Tramore but only go there in the winter, for obvious reasons (to Me).

I agree with you in bits here, Tramore is definitely following the tourist market that was imagined in the 60s, that 60s market is So dead there is no other words to describe it.

Those days of a nice family weekend or a nice day out to the seaside are dead and buried. Nowdays people travel all over the world for holidays. Our Generation has never travelled so far.

In comparison to the 50s/60s/70s when only the near super-rich in Ireland could go travelling by plane to a foreign land. My grandmother or my uncles could never of that done then.

But Tramore sadly still thinks that market is alive, I mean we have amusements and chip shops, arcades etc etc.... But it seems those family breaks are declining and Tramore hasn't moved on with the times at all.

Tramore needs a major refresh, something like Brighton marina has. The Marina has restaurants and cafes right on the seafront with upstairs and outside seats so you can be high up and look out, Tramore needs something like this! how haven't we done this?

Tramore needs to get on with the construction of this new Surf place ASAP and new indoor surfing place. Which may bring in the tourists again!

Tramore has ideas going for it. But lack of funding and imagination and creativity is stopping this town from growing for the better and for the year 2012 and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

the problem for Tramore (and a lot of seaside towns like Kilkee etc) is that it is basically a Victorian seaside resort that didnt really move with the times and adapt. It goes for the lower end of the market. this is the problem!! Who in their right mind would want to spend a week in Tramore feeding the slot-machines in Freddie Pipers, when they could go to Spain/france for a similar price????

PEOPLE DONT WANT WHAT TRAMORE PROVIDES ANYMORE!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

the problem for Tramore (and a lot of seaside towns like Kilkee etc) is that it is basically a Victorian seaside resort that didnt really move with the times and adapt. It goes for the lower end of the market. this is the problem!! Who in their right mind would want to spend a week in Tramore feeding the slot-machines in Freddie Pipers, when they could go to Spain/france for a similar price????

PEOPLE DONT WANT WHAT TRAMORE PROVIDES ANYMORE!!

Pretty much sums it up really. Tramore has been on its arse for at least 25 years if not longer. The advent of available cheap family holidays to Spain has killed the place. The crappy summers dont help either. There are so many things wrong with Tramore, i dont know where to start.

The place is dying and has been slowly for years but the local Council sat on its hands hoping and praying for a miracle. Spending 60k on statues in the car park opposite the Majestic did nto help matters either. The place has a run down feel to it. The Bus station is in badly need of a facelift and the old train station, a listed building is falling down.

If I am reading this right, they were charged the same rate before the June Bank Holiday and after/during? Either way, the rates would be the same throughout June for a lot of businesses and may start in May.[/QUOTE]

sully the week they were down before june they were down for 7 days and charged the particular rate the june bank holiday they were down they were down for 3 days and they got charged the exact same rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The seaside needs to be made hip again, not sure quite how but some sort of clever campaign needs developing with some new reasons to visit.

There are so many competing places or go and I don't mean Spain either. If you want to keep two small kids amused in Tramore for a couple of hours Run Amuck can do it cheaper and safer (lets face it parents are paranoid) than playing games and slots in Freddies on a wet Sunday.

At least from Discover Tramore, the tourism group I run, that is very much what we try do. I rarely promote the park and the arcades through different advertising campaigns on print and digital. The idea is to focus on every other indoor entertainment center that work with us, promote the hotels, B&Bs, restaurants, nightlife and so on. Show to people that Tramore is much more than just the gorgeous seaside beach with slot machines and an outdoor amusement park.

We have many great places for kids to go. Splashworld and Pirates Adventure spring to mind. You wont be left hungry with the amount of good grub and different type of dishes available from Thai, Indian, Chinese, Fish, etc. Great pubs depending on your mood. Pop down to Redlane for a bit of shopping or Redhaus for some nice ornaments and furniture for your house or as a gift.

We give out tourism maps on the beach, Dolmen Drive, Coastal Drive, and Copper Coast - encouraging people to stay longer and explore the surrounding towns and villages. We have a 16 page brochure on the town - events, history (including old pictures), all the businesses, and a range of great photos of the town.

Not far from the 3k mark on Facebook followers wise. Social Media is probably one of our biggest areas for promoting Tramore. Its town that is much more than Sea, Sand and Slot Machines :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

scout353 wrote: »
    Freddie built up his business over a number of years and the amusement arcade was fine.

However he overextended himself by buying other businesses like The Pine Rooms at the top of the market. He also bought multiple houses in the new developments as they were built like Carrigeenlea, Doneraile Woods, Bolster's place at the top of Newtown etc.

This is what caused his downfall! Is that greed? Perhaps.

But the bottom line is that another big business man has gone bust, many people who were employed by him are out of work and on a personal level it must be very difficult to see everything you've worked for (particularly the family business) disappear even if you are to blame yourself!

I always found Freddie to be an affable, genuine person and I hope he gets back to somewhere good in the future.

I hope this lovely person didn't forget to pay other struggling companies whose services he employed who also are struggling & with staff to pay.
    A lovely fella indeed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

SPQRI wrote: »
    I hope this lovely person didn't forget to pay other struggling companies whose services he employed who also are struggling & with staff to pay.
    A lovely fella indeed!!!
    Another optimistic opinion from someone with inner peace and happiness.

Advertisement