Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new card

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

A lot depends on your PSU.

If it is just for watching full HD videos, a HD 6450 will do just fine and the power requirements are rather low. 37 yoyos here. And it's a "passive" card, so no additional fan noises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Just for watching full screen HD videos from Youtube on the screen, it get's very laggy and cuts out, blurred..

I put it down to the card so looking to get a new one.

Your suggestion above is a good card then ?

Mind telling is the specs for your computer? There may be other reasons...

A HD 6450 is not exactly a "good card" if you want to play games (and neither is the HD 6650). They're entry level GPUs but for full HD video more than sufficient.

Current running config;

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ 2.20GHZ , 1.00GB of RAM
    Microsoft Windows XP professional

Current GFX card;
    Radeon 9250

This current build I am using was built in 2007. Been running fine, recently defragged etc.. And is running quite quick..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Single core old old Athalon.

And I'm pretty sure thats AGP :S

Its time for a new rig buddy.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Single core old old Athalon.

And I'm pretty sure thats AGP :S

Its time for a new rig buddy.

Was thinking the same to be honest, just hoping I might get away with a new card.

This build is 5 years old and is showing me signs of it recently, so think I will start stocking up on new parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its just everyday stuff you're a perfect candidate for the new Trinity line of APUs from AMD. Graphics are integrated into the processor but arent terrible like the old intel ones, plenty for HD playback. If you can use the old case again you could rebuild for €300 I'd say, and it would be many magnitudes better than what you're currently on.

ED E wrote: »
    If its just everyday stuff you're a perfect candidate for the new Trinity line of APUs from AMD. Graphics are integrated into the processor but arent terrible like the old intel ones, plenty for HD playback. If you can use the old case again you could rebuild for €300 I'd say, and it would be many magnitudes better than what you're currently on.

Yeah I am going to upgrade and have a thread going about it. I really feel this computer is on the way out, it's getting worse each day :( .. It's served me well over the years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jeez though, for a 'new' build in 2007 that was totally outdated even then! If you don't want to do a new build though, it is possible to get AGP cards that'll do 1080p video fine, I know PC World had an AGP 3650 on clearance a while back for 50 euro for example.

The problem is not so much the GPU. Despite hardware acceleration, full HD Flash is still needs plenty CPU power and an old single core processor is not cut out for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 jforrw

Adding more RAM can help. Better to get new system, AMD's Trinity APU combines both a quad-core X86 processing engine as well as a DX11 capable graphics core, DDR3 memory controller.

jforrw wrote: »
    AMD's Trinity APU combines both a quad-core X86 processing engine as well as a DX11 capable graphics core, DDR3 memory controller.

Quad-core is rather a marketing spin in this case:
    The CPU cores are based on a reworked Bulldozer architecture, called Piledriver. Although marketed as a quad-core processor, the A10-4600M includes only two modules with four integer-cores and two floating-point cores total. As a result, the CPU is not a true quad-core processor.

Technically speaking, they're not 4 independent cores as each pair is sharing resources.

Advertisement