Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are death metal vocals like rapping

• 04-10-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Death metal vocalists basically just say words in a more or less monotonal voice, this is similar to rapping no? I've rapped and done death metal vocals and to me it seems that both are similar in using words and in lacking melody?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Some of the time they are, but most metal has a completely different rhythmic style to rap music meaning the delivery of the words is also dissimilar. Rap often features complex rhyme schemes and wordplay, whereas death vocals are more likely to be in free verse and place emphasis on certain words (as Randy Blythe often does, for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

So rapping requires more technique and is more complex? I always thought that the word smithery by a rapper like Ice T up to OG was really incredible, the amount of thought that went into writing lyrics that were hard hitting and insightful while maintaining a rhyme scheme and tempo must have been considerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

Hmm yes and no. Some death metal vocalists are basically speaking very fast and in an amelodic way, like rappers, but with a growl (Corpsegrinder from Cannibal Corpse does this a lot, though he includes intermittent shrieks and growls). However a lot of death metal vocals require serious lungs, as you're growling/screaming/grunting etc. from the bottom of your stomach (using the diaphragm rather than the throat).

Advertisement