Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY'ing a curtain pole

• 04-10-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Could use some help and advice.

We just moved into a house and its drafty, very much so. We are working on some stuff to resolve this but one of the things we have done it to get some curtains, to block the drafts from the worst doors, but as I was about to put them up I realised that there is too much of a gap between the doorway and the curtain and that they would block some but not all of the draft.

So this got me thinking and I have a solution but I could use some help.

btw, its a bog standard wooden pole
    curtain_pole.jpg

I want to cut in half the part I am supposed to attach to the wall, by doing this I should close the gap between the door and the curtain and reduce the draft. However, they are connected by attaching a plate to the wall (this plate has a bolt coming out of it) and then screwing the wooden holder into that.
    My problem is that, once I cut this holder in half, I lose the bit that I am supposed to screw onto the attachment that is now on the wall. I was looking for a replacement for that but issue is that 1 I cant find any and 2 I dont even know what the thing is called so I have to describe it every time.
    The one I am talking about uses a system where into the wooden pole holder they have screwed in a large wooden screw that is hollow with bolt threading in this hollow section.

So I am hoping someone know the name of this thing I am looking for and also where I can get it.
    Also, I am looking for another plate (with the bolt sticking out) that I screw into the wall and that I later fit the wooden pole bracket to.
    Anyone know where I can find these?

Please see attached pic for an illustration. Might be easier than my description :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,629 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you cut the support where you are suggesting you will make the 'base' very small and the support will not be as steady on the wall. Also the metal plate will show as it is a good bit bigger than the profile you will leave after cutting.

Before you get involved in anything complicated, just try putting the curtain up as it is. Provided you have good coverage of the door - a few inches past the edge of the door on all sides - you will find it improves the situation a good bit even though there is a gap.

If it is not satisfactory then you could then try shortening the supports. Either that or use the plastic rail that sits closer to the wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Plastic rail,drill it directly to the wall.

Use the curtain rail hooks to attach the curtains to the rail.

Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

paddy147 wrote: »

Simples.
    as paddy says..and c'mon get some draught excluder foam tape ..you can pick it up in the euro shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Slightly off-topic - have you tried using draught excluder tape around the doors? This might help more than using curtains.

Be conscious of the possibility of needing to use the door to escape from a fire and whether a curtain would get in your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

paddy147 wrote: »

Simples.
    I wish it was simples Paddy. The curtains we have will not be supported by a plastic, or even metal, rail. Simply too much weight
    Maudi wrote: »
    as paddy says..and c'mon get some draught excluder foam tape ..you can pick it up in the euro shops.
    I have done that already, I am also getting one of those brush like things for the bottom of the door. The doors have glass inserts and are still drafty as ****. This is my best option
    Prenderb wrote: »
    Be conscious of the possibility of needing to use the door to escape from a fire and whether a curtain would get in your way.
    Its why I want them on curtain poles. They are being placed so when the door opens they move out of the way, or if not they are free running so you can just push them aside.
    One of my worries with a rail is that they dont slide very well, especially with weight on them.

Anyways, I found out the name of what I am looking for. They are called "hanger bolts", anyone know where I can find hollow ones with bolt threading on the inside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,629 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had a heavy velvet curtain over a door for years on a plastic rail. You need to have enough clearance for the curtain to be able to push beyond the edge of the door.

If you have very cold glass and fabric up against it, the fabric will mildew and rot. I speak from experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

looksee wrote: »
    If you have very cold glass and fabric up against it, the fabric will mildew and rot. I speak from experience.
    Its not that mad looksee, there is no damp or mildew in the house. They are internal doors that I am speaking about and there is no condensation at all.
    As for the curtains, these are very heavy. Old, very heavy and heavily lined curtains. Plus as they are in doorways they will be moved dozens of times a day, especially the one into the sitting room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

looksee wrote: »
    Its not that mad looksee, there is no damp or mildew in the house. They are internal doors that I am speaking about and there is no condensation at all.
    As for the curtains, these are very heavy. Old, very heavy and heavily lined curtains. Plus as they are in doorways they will be moved dozens of times a day, especially the one into the sitting room.
    you might be better of just draught excluding all round your door then and get a draught excluder for the gap at the bottom of door ..not those usless yokes you push up against the door but one that fits under the door and covers both sides of door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Can you go wall to wall you could get an end support bracket

https://www.lifestyleshomedecor.com/Highland-Timber-2-3-4-inch-Inside-Mount.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cram1971 wrote: »
    Can you go wall to wall you could get an end support bracket

https://www.lifestyleshomedecor.com/Highland-Timber-2-3-4-inch-Inside-Mount.html

You can buy them in HomeFocus for not alot of euros (wooden and metal).:)

Homestore & More are also selling a "thermal door curtain" for 15 euro.

Its a curtain specificly designed for doors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement