Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Udinese Europa League ITV4/Setanta Sports1 8 pm

• 04-10-2012 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Note - this game is not on 3e (Spurs) or Setanta Ireland (Newcastle)

Anfield is the venue for Liverpools first home game in the group stage of the EL having beaten Young Boys in a pretty exciting open game last time out. Liverpool are now 3 wins from their last 4 in all competition as the Brendan Rodgers era starts to take some tangible shape.

Once again its likely that the starting 11 shall feature a fair sprinkling of the young players who have generally impressed when given their chance to shine.

Udinese are a team who are struggling this season so far, another summer of sales has hit them harder than normal this time with just one win in all competitions this season and goals are at a premium.

The "bib theory" as seen in training ground photos suggests the following squad for tonight.

Jones, Johnson, Carragher, Coates, Robinson, Allen, Henderson, Shelvey, Downing, Assaidi, Borini, Reina, Skrtel, Enrique, Sahin, Gerrard, Cole, Suarez

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Udinese will be well up for this match and I can't see it being easy for us, especially if we're going to be playing an understrength team. I reckon it will be pretty tight with both teams happy enough to take a point.

1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mike65 wrote: »
    Note - this game is not on 3e (Spurs) or Setanta Ireland (Newcastle)

Anfield is the venue for Liverpools first home game in the group stage of the EL having beaten Young Boys in a pretty exciting open game last time out. Liverpool are now 3 wins from their last 4 in all competition as the Brendan Rodgers era starts to take some tangible shape.

Once again its likely that the starting 11 shall feature a fair sprinkling of the young players who have generally impressed when given their chance to shine.

Udinese are a team who are struggling this season so far, another summer of sales has hit them harder than normal this time with just one win in all competitions this season and goals are at a premium.

The "bib theory" as seen in training ground photos suggests the following squad for tonight.

Jones, Johnson, Carragher, Coates, Robinson, Allen, Henderson, Shelvey, Downing, Assaidi, Borini, Reina, Skrtel, Enrique, Sahin, Gerrard, Cole, Suarez

Was there any other ground in contention for the home games? :pac:

3-0 Udinese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Fcuk all kids in that squad. What gives??

Also, "Anfield is the venue for Liverpools first home game" :eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Don't ITV usually not show any UEFA Cup games on UPC? The screen is usually black and it says, "Programme Not Available in ROI" :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Suso might be playing tonight.

@suso30fernandez: Resting now.Important game tonight. Hope we can give u a win 2night. Have a nice day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I think the inclusion of Allen in midfield and home advantage should help us to control the game, and dominate possession. Looking at Udinese's stats this year, they are not a team that has been keeping the ball a lot, so I would expect us to have the lion's share of possession.

Can we turn this into goals and a win?

A lot will depend on Fabio Borini imo, who will finally get a chance through the middle. He's impressed me with his movement, but has been mediocre in other aspects of his game. I do expect him to get chances tonight though, and if he is successful at putting one away it could be enough to win the game. Suarez will likely be on the bench to change the game in the 2nd half if necessary.

I don't know an awful lot about Udinese but it seems they are likely to field a full strength team. Their form has been pretty indifferent in Serie A so far. They have Di Natale who we all know is a deadly finisher, so Coates and Carragher will have to be on his toes and watch for his runs in behind. Individual errors have been the number 1 cause of goals conceded this year, so it goes without saying that the defence need to cut these out.

There is a feel good atmosphere in Liverpool at the moment. Confidence is high and with home advantage and probable possession dominance it should be enough to win the game, even with most of the first teamers out.

I'll go for 3-1 Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

kfallon wrote: »
    Don't ITV usually not show any UEFA Cup games on UPC? The screen is usually black and it says, "Programme Not Available in ROI" :mad:

Fwiw/fyi... It is on Setanta Sports 1 also.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Never mind all the warm up European games over the last 2 nights, the big games have finally arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Hold on a fcuking second.

Where are the crests?

Super-Rush wrote: »

Where are the crests?

Crests are so 2011

• Advertisement

Crests are so 2011

I was into crests before crests became crests.

Where are the crests?

Falcon_Crest.jpg

Maybe so is Mike, thats why there are no crests!!

Been really buzzed about the last few Liverpool games, I finally think the squad are adapting to BR's style of play, and hopefully a few goals and a victory tonight will help the team grow in confidence and push on in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Shelvey to nut someone in the 7th minute, Liverpool to win 3-2 with a Jamie Carragher hat-trick at one end and 2ogs at the other.

Its on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

retalivity wrote: »
    Shelvey to nut someone in the 7th minute, Liverpool to win 3-2 with a Jamie Carragher hat-trick at one end and 2ogs at the other.

Its on.

4-0 to us.

The Italian teams don't take the EL that seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Crests are so 2011

You hipster :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

4-0 to us.

The Italian teams don't take the EL that seriously.

They've traveled with a strong squad though.

Sappy404 wrote: »

Maybe they don't have the squad depth that we have! With such poor form, they can't really afford to get spanked by our second team. Morale might never recover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Where's Sterling??

• Advertisement

Sappy404 wrote: »

Look at the teams when we beat Napoli 3-1 at home and drew 0-0 against away when Hodgson was in charge.

Reina,Konchesky,Carragher,Johnson,Jovanović,Poulsen,Spearing,Meireles, Shelvey, Ngog.

De Sanctis, Aronica, Cannavaro, Campagnaro, Pazienza, Dossena, Gargano, Hamšik, Maggio, Cavani,Lavezzi

Then look at the Napoli team that Man City scraped a draw against in the Champions League last season at home and lost to in Naples.

De Sanctis, Campagnaro, Cannavaro, Aronica, Maggio, Inler, Gargano, Zuniga, Hamsik (Santana 89mins), Lavezzi (Dzemaili 57mins), Cavani (Pandev 83mins)

They are almost identical. If you look through the gambling forum you will see that Italian teams are almost always a massive risk to bet on in the EL and are usually avoided.

Look at the teams when we beat Napoli 3-1 at home and drew 0-0 against away when Hodgson was in charge.

Reina,Konchesky,Carragher,Johnson,Jovanović,Poulsen,Spearing,Meireles, Shelvey, Ngog.

De Sanctis, Aronica, Cannavaro, Campagnaro, Pazienza, Dossena, Gargano, Hamšik, Maggio, Cavani,Lavezzi

Then look at the Napoli team that Man City scraped a draw against in the Champions League last season at home and lost to in Naples.

De Sanctis, Campagnaro, Cannavaro, Aronica, Maggio, Inler, Gargano, Zuniga, Hamsik (Santana 89mins), Lavezzi (Dzemaili 57mins), Cavani (Pandev 83mins)

They are almost identical. If you look through the gambling forum you will see that Italian teams are almost always a massive risk to bet on in the EL and are usually avoided.

And English teams usually take the EL so seriously as well...

5starpool wrote: »
    And English teams usually take the EL so seriously as well...

That wasn't the question though was it?

And I think they should. You could argue that we aren't really, playing a B team, but so far that's been good enough. But if we get to the latter stages, there are a lot of good teams going to drop in from the CL, some very tasty potential ties that would make for some great Thursday evenings at Anfield...

That wasn't the question though was it?

No, but has to be taken into account when assessing the likelyhood of a home win. Once the teams are announced for sure we can pass better judgement, but it will likely be a young Liverpool team again with only perhaps 3 first team regs (Johnson, Borini, Allen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

They should stick the winner of the EL into the next season's CL, just to spice things up.

5starpool wrote: »
    No, but has to be taken into account when assessing the likelyhood of a home win. Once the teams are announced for sure we can pass better judgement, but it will likely be a young Liverpool team again with only perhaps 3 first team regs (Johnson, Borini, Allen).

A second string team with something to prove and places in the first team to fight for versus a full strength team who are there for the occasion.

My money will be on Liverpool.

A second string team with something to prove and places in the first team to fight for versus a full strength team who are there for the occasion.

My money will be on Liverpool.

For the occasion? They are not some team from Serie C. We could well win and are rightly favourites, but using Napoli against us and City as an example/proof of anything is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Setanta Sports 1!? The local doesn't have that. :mad:

And yes, it is a ****ty local. :(

• Advertisement

Setanta Sports 1!? The local doesn't have that. :mad:

And yes, it is a ****ty local. :(

Does the local have a sky box? If so they can get ITV4. Go armed with the tuning info for other channels and you are sorted if they are willing to put it on.

Ive shown my local how to hook up internet streams to the tv.
    Problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

watching the Anzhi vs Young Boys game and Anzhi while being the better team so far have not had many shots on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Just turned HT in Anzhi v Young Boys, 0-0.

ITV4 is blank on UPC for the Spurs match so will probably be the same for the Liverpool match :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

ollie1 wrote: »
    ITV4 is blank on UPC for the Spurs match so will probably be the same for the Liverpool match :(

Those pesky Brits up to their old tricks again!!

• Advertisement

any team news yet?
    Shelvey on twitter seems to indicate that he'll be playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Fizman wrote: »
    Just got turned on by a group of Young Boys, :-0.

fyp

and yes i am immature

retalivity wrote: »
    any team news yet?
    Shelvey on twitter seems to indicate that he'll be playing

Official team news in about half an hour. I'd imagine it will be the team posted earlier though.

Reina, Johnson, Coates, Carragher, Robinson, Assaidi, Henderson, Allen, Shelvey, Downing, Borini.

LFC subs: Jones, Suarez, Gerrard, Sahin, Sterling, Skrtel, Wisdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Anzi beat young boys 2-0, brace from eto'o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

ollie1 wrote: »
    Reina, Johnson, Coates, Carragher, Robinson, Assaidi, Henderson, Allen, Shelvey, Downing, Borini.

LFC subs: Jones, Suarez, Gerrard, Sahin, Sterling, Skrtel, Wisdom.

strongest bench i have seen for a long long time!...thats a good starting lineup too.
    looking forward to tonights game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

we will go behind but pull in back 2nd half.

2-1

Fcuking Downing again.

and no Joke Hole!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Suso? Thought he was in the squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Coates, Carragher, Robinson, Assaidi, Henderson, Allen, Shelvey, Downing, Borini.

Subs: Jones, Suarez, Gerrard, Sahin, Sterling, Skrtel, Wisdom.

Udinese : Brkić, Danilo, Faraoni, Domizzi, Benatia, Pasquale, Armero, Badu, Pereyra, Pinzi, Di Natale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Very much the first teamers on the bench, good!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

K-9 wrote: »
    Very much the first teamers on the bench, good!

It would be no harm to put Allen and Johnson there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Go.on.my.sons

Go.on.my.sons

Supporting us again tonight since West Ham have the night off, or are you a Udinese fan too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement