Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

It's unlikely they squeeze the S3's resolution into a 4" screen so it wouldn't be necessary to have as much power. Look how much better the dual core one-s performs against the quad one-x because of the smaller number of pixels it has to deal with

Could be a very interesting phone tho

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Very glad to hear this. The S3 is a great phone but I just think it's way too big* A smaller version would be sweet and I imagine there are many like me thinking the same. At the very least it may prompt a price drop on the S2 which I am considering if it wasn't priced so ridiculously.

*Ooooh, matron.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Glad to see this, the current S3 is just too uncomfortable for me to use. The new S3 mini in or around the same dimensions as the iPhone 5 would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Expencive for a low power phone?

Retailers in Europe's northernmost countries are now listing such a device with the codename GT-I8190 in blue and white, with or without an NFC chip, for $540 and $560, respectively.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Expencive for a low power phone?

It's rumoured this won't be a low powered phone but something similar to the S3 but with a smaller screen. Going by that link, the NFC version is cheaper than the non-NFC version which doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement

/Thrusts hips
    Mobile chief JK Shin said that the company believed there was demand "in Europe" for a cut down 4-inch version of the popular smartphone, which would otherwise carry the same specs of the original. That

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

I read that it'll drop the camera down to 5MP and the processor down to a dual core.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-confirmed-by-samsung-chief-for-october-11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Well that would make it almost an entry or lower level device which is not what Samsung indicated. I hope its the full package, but with the smaller screen. Personally I would love a "Galaxy S3 Midi" with a 4.3 inch - Like the S2 but with all the extra stuff including the much better camera.
    BroLo wrote: »
    I read that it'll drop the camera down to 5MP and the processor down to a dual core.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-confirmed-by-samsung-chief-for-october-11

BroLo wrote: »

People have to get over the "More MP is more better" in cameras.
    It's all about the lens & sensor!

Also, lol
    94%7C000024d35%7C39c0_orh300w300_s3-mini.jpg

Gak...

samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-vergleich-584x605.jpg
    Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190
    Display: 4.0 inch Super AMOLED display with 800 × 480 pixels, 16.67 million colors, capacitive touchscreen, multi-touch
    CPU: STE U8420 dual-core 1.0 gigahertz
    wireless standards: HSPA 14.4/5.76 900/1900/2100, EDGE / GPRS 850/900/1800/1900
    Camera: 5 megapixel with auto focus and LED Flash, Resolution 2592 x 1944 pixels / VGA front
    RAM: 1 GB flash memory: 16 GB, MicroSD card slot ( . max 32 GB)
    Operating System: Google Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean"
    Connections: MicroUSB port, 3.5mm Kopfhörer-/Headset-Anschluss
    Wireless: Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi a / b / g / n 2.4/5GHz, DLNA, NFC (UICC , optional)
    Battery: 1500 mAh
    Dimensions: 121.55 x 62.95 x 9.85 mm
    Housing Material: Plastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Corrected proportions:

gs3minicp.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

In work at the minute. Can't look up much on this. I won't lie, when I heard about this phone I nearly died with excitement but after seeing the specs I can't be anything but disappointed!

Really thought we were getting a smaller SGS3 with identical specs for a few hours! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Very disappointing; average specs and screen resolution.
    This is being released as replacement for the Samsung mid-range phones that Apple have gotten banned in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ongarite wrote: »
    Very disappointing; average specs and screen resolution.
    This is being released as replacement for the Samsung mid-range phones that Apple have gotten banned in the US.

They're definitely missing an opportunity here. I don't understand why they're cheapening the S3 branding with this either, make it a premium product or call it something else entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Im thinking that this is just to see if the idea works.

If Samsung really wanted this to compete with the IPhone 5 then would they have released it before the I{hone came out.

This seems to me as if its just testing the water.
    When the new Galaxy comes out around March, will a mini galaxy be launched with it?

I think it will, people are not going to wait around half a year for the mini.
    Spec on it is poor compared to what was expected, but it will sell to people who dont like the IPhone and want a small screen.

Price is crucial, this imo is the reason behind the poorer spec. The IPhone and S3 are extremely expensive for a lot of people. This phone could really take off if priced correctly.

Have to look at the bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

They're definitely missing an opportunity here. I don't understand why they're cheapening the S3 branding with this either, make it a premium product or call it something else entirely.

Exactly. Really tarnishes the rep of the premium Samsung phone if you ask me. People won't look at the phone specs, think they're getting a cheap galaxy s 3, will think its ****e and blacken the brand name!

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Have to look at the bigger picture.

Bigger picture.... 4" Screen...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Bigger picture.... 4" Screen...

:pac:

Well played

Specs are as leaked, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Exceptionally happy with my S3 running AOSP Jelly Bean you simply cannot get any better, much and all as i admire Samsung for their products this is in effect just another money making idea,no doubt it'll sell well but it's too small for me, the S3 is the perfect size.

• Advertisement

jonnny68 wrote: »
    this is in effect just another money making idea

Shouldn't every idea a company puts out be a money making one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Wont be buying it but it would be good to shut a few people up who say they dont move from iPhone to S3 because its too big. Im sure the fanboys will be thinking of different excuses now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Resolution is a big let down, I expected more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is there any need for a higher resolution on what's to be considered a small device. 233 ppi is still quite good.

If the price is right I may buy one of these and get a 10 inch tablet at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭castletrader

So when will this phone be for sale in Ireland??? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Meteor are selling it now. It's also available SIM free from some online shops I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

So when will this phone be for sale in Ireland??? Thanks

You can get it on Amazon today. This is the 8gb one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-SIII-Mini-Smartphone/dp/B009PIZCI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353079861&sr=8-1

Its not a bad phone at all.

I was going to get one but holding out for nexus 4, if they ever make enough of them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

It's very pricey though. The Samsung Galaxy S2 seems like a better purchase - it's better spec'd and cheaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

This phone is a joke if you ask me, seriously lowered my estimation of Samsung. Over-priced, under-specced, and bears no relation to the far superior S3

Fail!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

If it was €150 cheaper it'd slot into the market quite well, but it's a little stupid to set the price as high as some of the flagship phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

If it was €150 cheaper it'd slot into the market quite well, but it's a little stupid to set the price as high as some of the flagship phones.

No its not stupid. This phone will sell well. Samsung have a good reputation.

Companies do this to make a profit!

It certainly doesn`t match the nexus 4 for value on paper... but its way better value than any iphone !!

Advertisement