Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Picture of Dorian Gray @ The Abbey

• 04-10-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Running until November 17th.
    I have never read the book nor seen any film version of it, so I'm looking forward to catching this.

Has anyone been or anyone looking forward to it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Haven't seen it on stage but the book is absolutely beautifully written, I'm very tempted to go see it myself. If the dialogue stays true to the book then I'm sure it would be a joy to behold.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I haven't been to see it yet but I fully intend to. I haven't read it but have read plenty of other Wilde works and enjoyed them all. Should be fun, really looking forward to it!
    A friend saw it on opening night and highly recommended it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

I've booked, but not going until November 10th. :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just back from it this evening. Excellent production.
    Like a true philistine, I'd seen the movie (one of the earlier productions) but not read the book. It has been sitting in my "to read" pile for longer than I care to remember though.

It's a lot darker than the film from what I remember, and I can see how it caused such a scandal when first released given the values of the time.

Jasper Britton as Lord Henry Wotton steals the show for me, incredible acting using fantastic dialogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I've read the book but not seen any film/stage productions.

I have to say I didn't really like it over all. I just didn't like the way it was done (you'll understand when you see it) and I didn't think Dorian was played very well. For me, Frank McCusker as Basil was the only character I enjoyed.

I would still say it is worthwhile to see, but I was disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

I have to say I didn't really like it over all. I just didn't like the way it was done (you'll understand when you see it) and I didn't think Dorian was played very well. For me, Frank McCusker as Basil was the only character I enjoyed.

I would still say it is worthwhile to see, but I was disappointed.

Saw it last night and unfortunately I almost entirely agree with you. I did enjoy most performances (Gray included) but the production itself was really grating.

It has made me determined to read the book soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

This runs until the end of next week right? Really want to see it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

matty55 wrote: »
    This runs until the end of next week right? Really want to see it

Yep it's extended to November 24th I think - still haven't seen it myself! I must sort something out sharpish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Saw it a few weeks ago and really loved it. Jasper Britton was great.

Advertisement