Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB Kilrush, Co. Clare

Options
  • 04-10-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I was hoping someone could tell me if NGB is available in Kilrush since the activation of the MAN there about a month ago? http://www.techcentral.ie/19835/kilrush-gets-19m-broadband-network-boost

My parent's house is about 2km outside the town. They are currently with Vodafone and the service is terrible. They're on an "up to 2Mb" connection but it barely hits 1Mb most of the time and contention seems terrible. They had a netflix subscription which they had to cancel because it buffered 6-7 times for just a 40 minute tv episode. Netflix says on their website that a connection speed of .5Mb is required so considering the amount of buffering, I can only assume they don't even reach that at times.
    On the eircom website when I enter their phone number it says up to 8Mb and up to 24Mb is available, so it sounds like NGB might be available there.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

sandair wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was hoping someone could tell me if NGB is available in Kilrush since the activation of the MAN there about a month ago? http://www.techcentral.ie/19835/kilrush-gets-19m-broadband-network-boost

My parent's house is about 2km outside the town. They are currently with Vodafone and the service is terrible. They're on an "up to 2Mb" connection but it barely hits 1Mb most of the time and contention seems terrible. They had a netflix subscription which they had to cancel because it buffered 6-7 times for just a 40 minute tv episode. Netflix says on their website that a connection speed of .5Mb is required so considering the amount of buffering, I can only assume they don't even reach that at times.
    On the eircom website when I enter their phone number it says up to 8Mb and up to 24Mb is available, so it sounds like NGB might be available there.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi sandair,

I've checked the Kilrush exchange for NGB and can confirm that there is no NGB there at the moment. The planned upgrades up to the end of 2012 also don't include this exchange. The list is reviewed monthly so we may have more news later in the year.

With regards to the metropolitan area network, I'm not sure if eircom are part of this project. From the article you posted it seems like this is more of a local initiative and there's no mention on any internal communications. I'll send off a request to networks and see if they have any knowledge of the project. Will let you know if I get anything back.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sandair

Thanks very much James.
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I get and many others around kilrush get 2.5 mbps. Which is okay. But very disapointing considering, all the 3g networks in kilrush can and do regularly get 2.5mbps plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I get and many others around kilrush get 2.5 mbps. Which is okay. But very disapointing considering, all the 3g networks in kilrush can and do regularly get 2.5mbps plus
    Hi Carnacalla

I have replied to the thread you have created in relation to efibre.

Thanks

Al

Advertisement