Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

199 different nationalities now in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Slurryface wrote: »
    The number of foreign nationals living in Ireland jumped 30% between 2006 and 2011, official figures have revealed today.

Total numbers increased by 124,624 over the five years to April 2011.

The Central Statistics Office also revealed that 544,357 non-Irish nationals were living in Ireland at the time of the census in April of last year, from 199 different nations.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/number-of-foreign-nationals-living-in-ireland-up-30-in-last-five-years-569329.html

Wow, haven't we really become a melting pot!:)

199?
    Surely we now need to find out which country we're missing, and get someone from there to come here, just to have a nice round number :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Finally, an excuse to post this video:

Shenshen wrote: »
    199?
    Surely we now need to find out which country we're missing, and get someone from there to come here, just to have a nice round number :)

I believe we're missing St. Kitts and Nevis. I feel an abduction coming on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I propose a "non-Irish national tax".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

benwavner wrote: »
    I propose a "non-national tax".
    whoi would pay it, almost everyone is a national of somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

That's a pretty impressive spread, considering:
    This is a list of sovereign states giving an overview of states around the world with information on the status and recognition of their sovereignty.

The list contains 206 entries. The states are divided using two distinct methods:

The membership within the United Nations system column divides the states into two categories: 193 member states and one observer state in the United Nations,[1] and 12 other states.

The sovereignty disputes column divides the states into two categories: 16 states whose sovereignty is disputed and 190 other states
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states

Who's missing? Is there a prize for completing the set?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

The number of foreign nationals living in Ireland jumped 30% between 2006 and 2011, official figures have revealed today.

Total numbers increased by 124,624 over the five years to April 2011.

The Central Statistics Office also revealed that 544,357 non-Irish nationals were living in Ireland at the time of the census in April of last year, from 199 different nations.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/number-of-foreign-nationals-living-in-ireland-up-30-in-last-five-years-569329.html

Wow, haven't we really become a melting pot!:)

A pissing pot more like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Non-Irish national then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Shenshen wrote: »
    199?

Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

There is 200 they just forgot to count the Irish cuz there so few of us left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

You would Slurryface and you will like it, because you are from Swaziland. My gubberment will demand you pay it, they will send people to your door to collect it, make sure you are in, thats a good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Calling David Trimble, come in Mr Trimble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I got 199 foreign national problems but a eskimo aint 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Gurgle wrote: »

Who's missing? Is there a prize for completing the set?
    You unlock the final boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

There is 200 they just forgot to count the Irish cuz there so few of us left
    Yeah, shockingly few.
    There's only 4 million Irish of the 4.5 million people in Ireland. We should form a minority support group.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The figures show the number of Polish people living here soared by 93.7% in the previous five years, from 63,276 in 2006 to 122,585 in 2011, as they overtook UK nationals (112,259) as the largest non-Irish community in the country.

Surprised at that, I would have thought the number of Polish here had declined in recent years.

Maybe they didn't bother filling out the Census first time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Can we rename this thread to;
    "The stupid racist comments thread"

Skid wrote: »
    Surprised at that, I would have thought the number of Polish here had declined in recent years.

Maybe they didn't bother filling out the Census first time around.

Maybe they had children, maybe those who stayed brought over their families.

Can you grow a pair?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I predict a further influx of Poles following the Euros. I've never seen two nationalities get on so well.

• Advertisement

Well said, I'm amazed by the number of snide, insulting, and racist comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Needs more cowbell

Can you grow a pair?

A pair of what?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I predict we'll have the full set sometime next year, the government must have planning this 'gathering' for a while,

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Maybe Kim Jon Ill Was feeling ronery, and Is living among'st us, Faked his death so he could hang out in temple bar....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

this makes me happy. love that we have loads of diferent people here. more chance for personal growht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm amazed at the lack of them.

Maybe Kim Jon Ill Was feeling ronery, and Is living among'st us, Faked his death so he could hang out in temple bar....
    I knew that was him servin me last week

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the lack of them.

Im preempting them, to be fair.
    There have been a few already and I know this thread will only bring out the idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

You must be new here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Tuvalu.

Im preempting them, to be fair.
    There have been a few already and I know this thread will only bring out the idiots.

Which ones do you think are racist, because I can only see one at a stretch?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, have we invented a few new countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭pmurphy00

something tells me we considered scotland and wales
    countries. despite them not being on the list of countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Had an Indian dinner Monday night, Chinese last night, and am thinking of getting a burrito from the new Mexican restaurant opened nearby tonight. So thank you foreign people for adding a bit of variety to irish life.

All I need now is to find a good ethnic gym to work off all the lbs I've added since Monday!! :pac:

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Which ones do you think are racist, because I can only see one at a stretch?:confused:

I propose a "non-Irish national tax".
    notnumber wrote: »
    A pissing pot more like!
    You would Slurryface and you will like it, because you are from Swaziland. My gubberment will demand you pay it, they will send people to your door to collect it, make sure you are in, thats a good lad.

these could do for a start

The "pissing pot" one seems borderline to me but I don't see any racism in the other comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

They really aren't racist comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

That's rich, coming from a lad who thinks Enoch Powell was a 'visionary'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

pmurphy00 wrote: »
    something tells me we considered scotland and wales
    countries. despite them not being on the list of countries
    They didn't, the full list is on a document at the bottom of the OPs link.

They did however include Gibraltar which is a British overseas territory, Chechnya which is a Russian federal republic and Martinque which is a French overseas department

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

still going after 3 pages, i'm proud of you AHs ;)

davet82 wrote: »
    still going after 3 pages, i'm proud of you AHs ;)

Just onto the second page for me.:p

El Weirdo wrote: »
    They really aren't racist comments.
    describing Irland as a pissing pot as oppossed to a m,elting pot because of the 199 nationalities isn't racist? really?
    Good to see that in AH piss is now a compliment.:confused:

describing Irland as a pissing pot as oppossed to a m,elting pot because of the 199 nationalities isn't racist? really?
    Good to see that in AH piss is now a compliment.:confused:

The poster didn't give a reason for referring to Ireland as a "pissing pot", and made no mention of anything else in the post. Only he knows what he meant by it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Now that we have opened the flood gates to foreign immigrants, the Irish will have to emigrate to find jobs. Talk about a distorted labour market. We have have screwed up big time! I really pity the young Irish people of today as they will have to compete with all those non-Irish immigrants in an ever shrinking labour market. Talk about committing national economic suicide!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Clareboy wrote: »
    the Irish will have to emigrate to find jobs.

That's never happened before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Einhard wrote: »
    Had an Indian dinner Monday night, Chinese last night, and am thinking of getting a burrito from the new Mexican restaurant opened nearby tonight. So thank you foreign people for adding a bit of variety to irish life.

All I need now is to find a good ethnic gym to work off all the lbs I've added since Monday!! :pac:

Exactly, anyway it improves the scenery somewhat. Us Irish are meant to be one of the ugliest lots - freckly, fat, beer bellies, no dress sense etc :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

karma_ wrote: »
    That's never happened before.

Oh yes, the Irish have immigrated in the past but now they have to leave because the most of the jobs have been given to the non-Irish. We did not have that situation in the 80s or in the 50s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Now that we have opened the flood gates to foreign immigrants, the Irish will have to emigrate to find jobs.

Floodgates implies there's no need for visas or the like in Ireland.

There is.

But EU citizens are free to travel. That's the whole EU idea thing there in operation.

We needed immigration to keep the country running during the boom years but now it's "all de immigrants fault".

Let's not point the blame where it really belongs that people have to emigrate - let's blame the foreigners. It's a nice easy target.

Typical, lazy, doesn't-understand-how-an-economy-work attitude.

*ding*

NEXT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Oh yes, the Irish have immigrated in the past but now they have to leave because the most of the jobs have been given to the non-Irish. We did not have that situation in the 80s or in the 50s.

The Irish will hardly immigrate, now, will they?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement