Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

199 different nationalities now in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

UCDVet wrote: »
    I might be misunderstanding your question. I thought the EU free movement zone just afforded EU members the ability to freely travel for up to 3 months with a valid passport?

I'm all for that. Tourists should be welcome to explore Ireland and experience the Irish culture. I think it's great.

But I don't think it's in the best interest of the Irish people to allow foreigners to come in and establish residency and certainly not to work here. I'll admit I don't know the ins-and-outs what being an EU member does for Ireland; but I certainly think immigrants from outside of the EU do not benefit the Irish people.

There are Irish people who can do my job. And they'd do it just as good as me, but they'd re-invest in Ireland. They'd spend their money or save it in an Irish bank (who'd invest it), Ireland would be wealthier for it and the economy would be more strong.

Me? I'm just saving every penny I can for a few years, regularly converting it back to the currency of my original country. Then I'll move and take everything I can with me.

Maybe I'm wrong - but it doesn't seem right, IMHO. Maybe during the boom - but now? When there are unemployed people here who need it....it seems wrong. So many immigrants are willing to work longer/harder for less because even that amount is amazing compared to their other alternatives.

You got to applaud this guy for his honesty....

The point made in this post is very much whats happening today. Anything up to 4 billion is leaving the country each year...yeah yeah I KNOW IT'S THEIR MONEY and they are free to burn it if they so wish. But imagine if this money was spent in the local economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

not yet wrote: »

The point made in this post is very much whats happening today. Anything up to 4 billion is leaving the country each year...yeah yeah I KNOW IT'S THEIR MONEY and they are free to burn it if they so wish. But imagine if this money was spent in the local economy.

You're absolutely right. I'll start a campaign over here and abroad to get people to stop purchasing Irish imported goods. Think of the money they could spend on their own economies. :rolleyes:

old hippy wrote: »
    You're absolutely right. I'll start a campaign over here and abroad to get people to stop purchasing Irish imported goods. Think of the money they could spend on their own economies. :rolleyes:

Go away........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

199 different nationalities now in Ireland ??

Great:) the more cosmopolitan we become the better

when i was growing up in the 80s everyone was white & catholic and if you weren't white & catholic you were looked upon as a two-headed freak

Go away........

But imagine if this money was spent in their local economies!

• Advertisement

How in gods name can you equate Someone working here and saving every penny possible to take home when they leave to other economies not buying Irish produce....

Funny guy...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

The harsh reality is that we just cannot afford to be a multi-cultural society. Ireland is a tiny country with few natural resources and the few resources that we do have, be they employment or educational opportunities or health and welfare services should be used for the benefit of our own people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Clareboy wrote: »
    The harsh reality is that we just cannot afford to be a multi-cultural society. Ireland is a tiny country with few natural resources and the few resources that we do have, be they employment or educational opportunities or health and welfare services should be used for the benefit of our own people.

The real harsh and disgusting reality is that xenophobia and racism in Ireland are denied ad nauseam but they are actually growing

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

In 2005 when our immigration was near it's peak. Ireland was ranked 1st in the quality of life index by the economist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality-of-life_Index .

Ireland is still ranked in the top 10-15 by most respectable studies.

Before mass immigration became the norm, Ireland was in the ranks with developing countries.

We have come a long way thanks to international influence and forward thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The real harsh and disgusting reality is that xenophobia and racism in Ireland are denied ad nauseam but they are actually growing

Maybe if you take boards as your sample group. This is not the reality that I live in, where it's the minority who have a problem with foreign people and the majority couldn't give a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Another 2,300 people from all over the world joined the Irish Nation yesterday.
    Stories like this make happy for the future
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-citizens-swear-loyalty-to-the-land-of-2300-welcomes-3259696.html

Maybe if you take boards as your sample group. This is not the reality that I live in, where it's the minority who have a problem with foreign people and the majority couldn't give a ****.

Oh I don't take everything on the internet as real. I'm well aware that lots of people on the internet have multiple accounts and really wouldn't say the crap they say offline.

The statement I made was in relation to a range of things; real life experiences, research reports and internet discussions.

The irony is of course you are doing exactly what I just said.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It's a pity but it is true, there are many bigoted and ignorant people out there who find it easy to blame others for their failures, rather than look at themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

fryup wrote: »
    199 different nationalities now in Ireland ??

Great:) the more cosmopolitan we become the better

when i was growing up in the 80s everyone was white & catholic and if you weren't white & catholic you were looked upon as a two-headed freak

WRONG!!!

There used to be a busker who stood outside 'Switzers' in Grafton Street.
    I believe his speciality was 'If You Could Read My Mind' by the Canadian singer/songwriter Gordon Lightfoot.
    Oh, and Philo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

What people fail to realise is that those foreigners who are here earning are paying tax, prsi etc.
    So, someone who for example pays 30-40K per year (or whatever) in tax, prsi, usc etc. and who never claims anything (sure they can't can they) and then moves back home when their visa expires kisses goodbye to all that.

That's 150K+ minimum over 5 years per person.
    Plus 12K-18K a year to rent an apartment or house, that's another 60K-90K over 5 years spent in the economy.
    Someone earning 100k+ pays roughly 50K a year in various taxes. They have no hope of reclaiming this. Can you imagine doing that yourself?

So why gripe about the the money they legitimately earn to send to support their families? Did the Irish not do the same? (i.e. support their families back home).

Together with talking about the money leaving the country, how about also mentioning the tax contributions of those foreigners and the money they spend in this country?

9959 wrote: »
    WRONG!!!

There used to be a busker who stood outside 'Switzers' in Grafton Street.
    I believe his speciality was 'If You Could Read My Mind' by the Canadian singer/songwriter Gordon Lightfoot.
    Oh, and Philo!!!

Indeed. I was schooled with a Chinese fellow and a Japanese fellow in the 70s. In the 80s my classmates included Malaysians and er, Belgian :)
    I had mates from various places around the world, I worked with a number of Muslim South Africans who'd been in Dublin since the 60s.

I suppose it depends what part of the country you grew up in.

wandererz wrote: »
    What people fail to realise is that those foreigners who are here earning are paying tax, prsi etc.
    So, someone who for example pays 30-40K per year (or whatever) in tax, prsi, usc etc. and who never claims anything (sure they can't can they) and then moves back home when their visa expires kisses goodbye to all that.

That's 150K+ minimum over 5 years.
    Someone earning 100k+ pays roughly 50K a year in various taxes. They have no hope of reclaiming this. Can you imagine doing that yourself?

So why gripe about the the money they legitimately earn to send to support their families? Did the Irish not do the same? (i.e. support their families back home).

Together with talking about the money leaving the country, how about also mentioning the tax contributions of those foreigners and the money they spend in this country?

I don't wish to be smart but to pay 30-40k in contributions you would need to earn 150k plus. A high proportion of non nationals earn minimum wage or just above. So in reality they pay very little tax.

It's not the point, the point is we have 450,000 people on our dole and we still issue PPS numbers to non nationals....now call that what you will but I think it's insane at this point in time.

The harsh reality is that you don't give a toss about your "own people" whatever they may be. You are terrified of "otherness". Have you ever been out of Clare?

I don't wish to be smart but to pay 30-40k in contributions you would need to earn 150k plus. A high proportion of non nationals earn minimum wage or just above. So in reality they pay very little tax.

It's not the point, the point is we have 450,000 people on our dole and we still issue PPS numbers to non nationals....now call that what you will but I think it's insane at this point in time.
    A high proportion of non nationals earn minimum wage or just above.

Where are those figures exactly?
    I don't wish to be smart but to pay 30-40k in contributions you would need to earn 150k plus.

There is a minimum requirement of earnings for a foreign national in order to get a visa to work in Ireland, circa 60K.
    Many would be above that figure. A gross salary of 80K leaves 30K paid in taxes.

If earning 150K they would in fact be netting 83,133 = 66,867 paid in taxes (taxcalc.eu) --- not 30k-40K
    the point is we have 450,000 people on our dole and we still issue PPS numbers to non nationals....now call that what you will but I think it's insane at this point in time.
    The point is actually that you equate having a PPS number with being able to claim social welfare. When in fact, you cannot really do very much in this country without having a PPS number. You need one to provide to your employer, to your bank and various other institutions. That doesn't mean that one is allowed to claim a single cent off the government. In fact, if people on working visas do that then it is classed as a black mark against them.
    i.e they cannot extend their visas or apply for naturalisation or other things.

So they come to this country, bring their education and/or expertise, work their butts off, pay a ****load in taxes which they never get to see again and then are told to F off.

Oh, and we really don't like the fact that you sent all that money to your homeland to build a better life for yourself either (even though we told you to F off in the first place), we'd prefer you spent it here as well.

But thanks for spending all that money on paye and prsi,usc, rent etc. Even though you cannot claim any of that, i certainly will when i claim my state pension or the dole when i'm unemployed or public healthcare. Sure you had VHI or Bupa anyway all that time so you never claimed or weren't able to claim that, but i will.

So thanks for supporting me, even though you're no longer here because we fcuked you out off the country with our lousy attitudes.

Thanks all you doctors, dentists, software engineers etc.
    Thanks but fcuk you very much.

• Advertisement

If Gordon Lightfoot could read your mind......
    .....what a tale your thoughts would tell.

GROW UP.

There is a minimum requirement of earnings for a foreign national in order to get a visa to work in Ireland, circa 60K.
    Many would be above that figure. A gross salary of 80K leaves 30K paid in taxes.

If earning 150K they would in fact be netting 83,133 = 66,867 paid in taxes (taxcalc.eu)

The point is actually that you equate having a PPS number with being able to claim social welfare. When in fact, you cannot really do very much in this country without having a PPS number. You need one to provide to your employer, to your bank and various other institutions. That doesn't mean that one is allowed to claim a single cent off the government. In fact, if people on working visas do that then it is classed as a black mark against them.

So they come to this country, bring their education and/or expertise, work their butts off, pay a ****load in taxes which they never get to see again and then are told to F off.

Oh, and we really don't like the fact that you sent all that money to your homeland to build a better life for yourself either (even though we told you to F off in the first place), we'd prefer you spent it here as well.

So thanks all you doctors, dentists, software engineers etc.

You really think They only issue visas for people earning over 60k how sweet.

No, but it doesn't make sense to tar every non-irish person on a public forum with the same brush. It just leads to generalisations and further bigotry.

How do you think the people i've mentioned above feel about such things spouted at them?

If there is X amount leaving the country because of foreigners every year, then what is the figure that they pay into the economy every year? Is that an unreasonable question? To compare side by side?

No, but it doesn't make sense to tar every non-irish person on a public forum with the same brush. It just leads to generalisations and further bigotry.

How do you think the people i've mentioned above feel about such things spouted at them?

If there is X amount leaving the country because of foreigners every year, then what is the figure that they pay into the economy every year? Is that an unreasonable question? To compare side by side?

Just so I'm clear on this. 1st post you say they only issue PPS numbers to people earning over 60k and the next you say no.....

I am not advocating banning anyone, of any colour, of any race. What I am saying is if jobs are here and we have a low unemployment rate fine, invite people in to fill these jobs, but in a time of deep resession I think it's insane to have people still coming into the country taking minimum wage jobs.

Just so I'm clear on this. 1st post you say they only issue PPS numbers to people earning over 60k

Just so i'm clear on this. Where did i say this in the first post? Because that's not what i meant.

Just so i'm clear...on this.

If earning 150K they would in fact be netting 83,133 = 66,867 paid in taxes (taxcalc.eu) --- not 30k-40K

But thanks for spending all that money on paye and prsi,usc, rent etc. Even though you cannot claim any of that, i certainly will when i claim my state pension or the dole when i'm unemployed or public healthcare. Sure you had VHI or Bupa anyway all that time so you never claimed or weren't able to claim that, but i will.

So thanks for supporting me, even though you're no longer here because we fcuked you out off the country with our lousy attitudes.

Thanks all you doctors, dentists, software engineers etc.

2nd line above...

If Gordon Lightfoot could read your mind......
    .....what a tale your thoughts would tell.

GROW UP.

What point would that be!!!

you say they only issue PPS numbers to people earning over 60k

Again, where do i say this exactly?

6k, 60k, 600k....

There are no countries left in Europe with a homogeneous population, get used to it.
    Try and get to know some of these people, you might find - and here's the shocker - they have feelings just like us, they fall in love, they do the best for their children, they can take a joke, the vast majority of them (like the indigenous 'us') are well-meaning, hard-working, human beings, who just want to get on with their lives.

Oh, and by the way, like the Irish who went to London, Birmingham, New York and Boston all those years ago, they don't take kindly to racism, or xenophobia disguised as economic necessity.
    Why shoud they?

Please have another think about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

How can anyone complain about immigration considering the amount of illegals in the US and the amount of 'older generation Irish expats' on benefits in the UK?

And it is not like the UK is a huge country either.

Still Irish people want the freedom to immigrate and give out about the slightest anti-Irish attitude.

No country can AFFORD immigration if you want to look at it like that. Particularly countries like America and Canada where they have few people leaving and many coming in. They have little to gain.

Ireland has a lot to lose if we change attitudes. It is not going to get easier. The reason immigrants come is because Irish people do not want to do the jobs they do. I think it is Irish people on the dole not wanting to take any job going personally. That is just an observation.

And in the UK the number of Irish expats on benefit for years.

The conditions of NON EU working visas do not allow people to claim benefit beyond what they pay in.

And there is no NHS here so they don't get free healthcare.

And it is daft to suggest that if we stopped immigration in the world would not reply in kind and that would be a nightmare situation.

WE are 'that immigrant'.

Again, where do i say this exactly?

You said they only issue work visas to people earning over 60k pa. It stands to reason if they issue a work visa they in turn have to issue a PPS NUMBER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You said they only issue work visas to people earning over 60k pa. It stands to reason if they issue a work visa they in turn have to issue a PPS NUMBER.

They also issue PPS numbers to high fee paying students in Dental and Medical Schools allowing Irish wannabe dentists and doctors to train here instead of overseas.

Would you stop that?

Incidentally my wife was one of those high-earners who was recruited to Ireland by FAS in the early 2000s and then more or less tod to fuck off by the GNIB after the dot com crash, it did very little to encourage her to stay and contribute high levels of tax to Irish society.

MadsL wrote: »
    They also issue PPS numbers to high fee paying students in Dental and Medical Schools allowing Irish wannabe dentists and doctors to train here instead of overseas.

Would you stop that?

Incidentally my wife was one of those high-earners who was recruited to Ireland by FAS in the early 2000s and then more or less tod to fuck off by the GNIB after the dot com crash, it did very little to encourage her to stay and contribute high levels of tax to Irish society.

No I would not stop that.......

I understand we have a need to bring educated professionals into the country as and when the jobs arise. I'm talking about economic migrants doing jobs while Kids waste away on the dole.

The harsh reality is that you don't give a toss about your "own people" whatever they may be. You are terrified of "otherness". Have you ever been out of Clare?

For your information, I am widely travelled, multi-lingual, and I have many foreign friends. I have no problem with different nationalities and cultures. But the reality is Ireland cannot be compared to countries like the USA or Australia and we just cannot afford to support and give our few precious jobs to people from outside Ireland.

I understand we have a need to bring educated professionals into the country as and when the jobs arise. I'm talking about economic migrants doing jobs while Kids waste away on the dole.

Kids have always wasted away on the dole. If we had any sense, we'd be blaming Govt incompetence, rather than newcomers.

• Advertisement

For your information, I am widely travelled, multi-lingual, and I have many foreign friends. I have no problem with different nationalities and cultures. But the reality is Ireland cannot be compared to countries like the USA or Australia and we just cannot afford to support and give our few precious jobs to people from outside Ireland.

Well, I'm delighted to see you have an open mind, so. We can export our peoples but damn well won't let any others in.

Or we could try and build a open, integrated well-balanced society whilst attracting foreign direct investment as we have a well-rounded workforce with specialist skills and experience from across the world.

Or try and restrict trade, leave the EU and return to some bizarre 1930s Irish nirvana.

Well, I'm delighted to see you have an open mind, so. We can export our peoples but damn well won't let any others in.

The vast majority of Irish emigration has been to New World countries such as the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, countries with vast empty spaces, huge natural resources and and unlimited mineral wealth. You really cannot compare those countries to a tiny island like Ireland.

Or we could try and build a open, integrated well-balanced society whilst attracting foreign direct investment as we have a well-rounded workforce with specialist skills and experience from across the world.

Or try and restrict trade, leave the EU and return to some bizarre 1930s Irish nirvana.

We have tried the above and it just has not worked. In the 1950s we had at most 50,000 on the dole - now we have over 400,000 - I rest my case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

For your information, I am widely travelled, multi-lingual, and I have many foreign friends. I have no problem with different nationalities and cultures. .

Ye don't? What was your thread called "The New Multicultural Ireland - The Benefits?" about then?
    Speaking as a middle aged unemployed Irish male - I am sick of listening to all these do-gooders talking about all the new communities and cultures that have established themselves in Ireland over the past 10 years. What's in it for me? How do I benefit from the New Multicultural Ireland? I would love if someone could tell me! Discuss!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77848930&postcount=1

• Advertisement

The vast majority of Irish emigration has been to New World countries such as the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, countries with vast empty spaces, huge natural resources and and unlimited mineral wealth. You really cannot compare those countries to a tiny island like Ireland.

You conveniently omitted England from your list of countries with 'vast empty spaces' as a destination for the Irish.
    In terms of an economic imperative for restriction/reduction of 'foreigners', The Netherlands - a densely populated country like England - seems to have done reasonably well with its multi-cultural inhabitants.

Of course in almost every country in the world you'll hear calls for restriction/reduction/repatriation of migrant workers, coincidentally these calls become ever louder and more strident during economic downturns/recessions/depressions.

So it was and so it shall always be.
    In my opinion there's one word that bests encapsulate this phenomenon.

Scapegoating

So of the 153,050 PPS numbers issued in 2011 those PPS numbers issued you can discount 4637 of them as International Students. A further 48,401 of them were issued to EU citizens - I assume you are not proposing leaving the EU? - opps forgot the Irish PPS numbers (85,210)

So now we are down to 14802 that are really the "problem" you are talking about, ah except 3184 work permits were issued in 2011. I'll assume half of those were for high-earners and the rest specialists. So, that brings us down to 13202. Now we have a special arrangement with Brazil on visas and working - (I'm not sure of the details if anyone knows) so remove 4,939 Brazilians; down to 8263. Ah, except Ireland has a Working Holiday arrrangements with Argentina, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand and the Republic of Korea. So deduct a further 1774. Down to 6489 now.

Now we do have some Asylum obligations through various conventions we have signed over the years; even though we have the toughest regime in the EU 1,939 applied in 2011 and were issued PPS numbers (medical purposes) so you are down to about 4550. We could continue, but until we get to the point where we are talking about whether a bloke from Tonga should be let in, we are talking some really not terribly huge numbers.

So, what was the problem again?

We have tried the above and it just has not worked. In the 1950s we had at most 50,000 on the dole - now we have over 400,000 - I rest my case!

Ahem. http://thenextrecession.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/irish-emigration.png

......So, what was the problem again?

Madsl, allow me to pre-empt the rapier like riposte.

"I don't care as long as I don't have to repeat myself down at the Centra when I'm asking for a large bottle of Lilt"

Madsl, allow me to pre-empt the rapier like riposte.

"I don't care as long as I don't have to repeat myself down at the Centra when I'm asking for a large bottle of Lilt"

Ah, I miss the customer friendly Irish greeting in Centra "Ah, ya OK dere bud?"

@Clareboy, you might want to add 400,000 emigrees to your ideal 1950s paradise.

http://www.tcd.ie/business/staff/fbarry/papers/papers/Finance%20a%20Uver.pdf
    Over the course of the 1950s, some 400,000 people out of a population of less than 3 million emigrated.

Bull****, in the 1950's both my parents, 5 uncles and 3 aunts had no choice but to emigrate! That was largely due to Irelands closed economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

You are forgetting the UK..which has had huge numbetrs of immigrants from Ireland over the generations.

And eh no...as regards the US etc we are talking this century emmigration peaked in the 1980s. None of those countries have been as you describe in reality. And anyway...I am sure the indegenious people were reated far less respcetfully by Irish immigrants then we are treated.

Irish people who give out about immigration have not got a leg to stand on and they know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Irish people who give out about immigration have not got a leg to stand on and they know it.

They had legs though...before the foriegners got them.....

Nodin wrote: »
    They had legs though...before the foriegners got them.....

Taking our jobs, wimmin, dole, prams and legs...

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

You are forgetting the UK..which has had huge numbetrs of immigrants from Ireland over the generations.

And eh no...as regards the US etc we are talking this century emmigration peaked in the 1980s. None of those countries have been as you describe in reality. And anyway...I am sure the indegenious people were reated far less respcetfully by Irish immigrants then we are treated.

Hang on a second. So on one hand you say you're only talking about 20th century immigration, and on the other hand say the indigenous people were treated disrespectfully by Irish immigrants?

I might have missed something but don't remember hearing about Irish emmigrants disrespectful treatment of native Americans in the 1980's or in the 20th century in general :confused:

Also, 20th century America was a time of mostly booming economy. We are in a depression in this country and don't seem to be thinking about clamping down on illegal immigration.

A walk around the Camden Street / South Circular road nowadays makes you wonder who the native population is. I'm definitely feeling like a foreigner in my own country around there, and around places like Moore Street / Parnell Street

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement