Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

199 different nationalities now in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

coonecb1 wrote: »

Hang on a second. So on one hand you say you're only talking about 20th century immigration, and on the other hand say the indigenous people were treated disrespectfully by Irish immigrants?

I might have missed something but don't remember hearing about Irish emmigrants disrespectful treatment of native Americans in the 1980's or in the 20th century in general :confused:

Also, 20th century America was a time of mostly booming economy. We are in a depression in this country and don't seem to be thinking about clamping down on illegal immigration.

A walk around the Camden Street / South Circular road nowadays makes you wonder who the native population is. I'm definitely feeling like a foreigner in my own country around there, and around places like Moore Street / Parnell Street
    Illegal immigration isn't really a problem in Ireland though :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

A walk around the Camden Street / South Circular road nowadays makes you wonder who the native population is. I'm definitely feeling like a foreigner in my own country around there, and around places like Moore Street / Parnell Street

You should get out more, so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Bull****, in the 1950's both my parents, 5 uncles and 3 aunts had no choice but to emigrate! That was largely due to Irelands closed economy.

And now the Irish have to emigrate because of Ireland's open economy - same difference!

Clareboy wrote: »
    And now the Irish have to emigrate because of Ireland's open economy - same difference!

Or because of successive duff, corrupt, cronyist Govts mismanaging the country.

Anyways, there's room for improvement and no reason to scapegoat newcomers.

You are forgetting the UK..which has had huge numbetrs of immigrants from Ireland over the generations.

And eh no...as regards the US etc we are talking this century emmigration peaked in the 1980s. None of those countries have been as you describe in reality. And anyway...I am sure the indegenious people were reated far less respcetfully by Irish immigrants then we are treated.

Irish people who give out about immigration have not got a leg to stand on and they know it.

As regards Irish emigration to the UK, prior to independence, Ireland was part of the UK, so it was not emigration as such. Even though the UK is a small country in actual area it was and still is a very wealthy country, which once ruled a quarter of the earth.

The special relationship between Ireland and the UK means that people will always be moving between the two countries.

As regards Irish emigration to the UK, prior to independence, Ireland was part of the UK, so it was not emigration as such. Even though the UK is a small country in actual area it was and still is a very wealthy country, which once ruled a quarter of the earth.

The special relationship between Ireland and the UK means that people will always be moving between the two countries.

So, movement goes both ways? Excellent.

old hippy wrote: »
    Or because of successive duff, corrupt, cronyist Govts mismanaging the country.

Anyways, there's room for improvement and no reason to scapegoat newcomers.

Oh Yes, I too blame the government who opened the floodgates to immigrants from Eastern Europe in 2004, when we could have, like most other EU countries, who kept them out for another 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Hang on a second......on illegal immigration.

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find something like this (below) in the letters page of the official rag of the British National Party.

"A walk around Camden Town or London's South Circular Road nowadays makes you wonder who the native population is. I'm definitely feeling like a foreigner in my own country around here, and around places like Thomas More Street, Tower Hamlets"
    Yours,
    An unabashed Racist
    P.S.
    While we're at it, can we run those dirty, lazy Irish out of town, that can't even speak English proper, like what I do, innit.

Oh Yes, I too blame the government who opened the floodgates to immigrants from Eastern Europe in 2004, when we could have, like most other EU countries, who kept them out for another 6 years.

So the country would be a better place in perpetual isolation?

Floodgates, my bottom :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    So the country would be a better place in perpetual isolation?

Floodgates, my bottom :rolleyes:

Leave your bottom out of this 'old hippy', I'm sure it hasn't been washed in yonks!

9959 wrote: »
    Leave your bottom out of this 'old hippy', I'm sure it hasn't been washed in yonks!

I'll have to immerse it in the floodgates, in that case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

So a lot like the special relationship we have with the EU, countries we have working holiday arrangements with and countries we market medical training to.

I did a lot of work showing you that this nonsense about thousands of PPS numbers issued was in fact nonsense, and you ignored those statistics.

So now we are back to you saying "we'll join up with the UK and it will be grand like it was before independence". Dear me, is that the sum total of your intellectual output in backing up your argument?

Wonder who the lucky 200 will be?

Edz87 wrote: »
    Wonder who the lucky 200 will be?

To judge by some of the xenophobic rants on this forum, your 'lucky', could more accurately be read as, 'unlucky'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

The vast majority of Irish emigration has been to New World countries such as the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, countries with vast empty spaces, huge natural resources and and unlimited mineral wealth. You really cannot compare those countries to a tiny island like Ireland.

The people emigrating to these places are (on the whole) not emigrating to those wide open spaces: they're emigrating to the big population bases and competing with 'natives' for the jobs. Those places also don't have unlimited mineral wealth (no country does). And tell me exactly what huge natural resources New Zealand has?

• Advertisement

The people emigrating to these places are (on the whole) not emigrating to those wide open spaces: they're emigrating to the big population bases and competing with 'natives' for the jobs. Those places also don't have unlimited mineral wealth (no country does). And tell me exactly what huge natural resources New Zealand has?

Big brawny rugby players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Peter Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

The Hakka!

Jake "the muss" Heke

Our survey said......

SHEEP! Was the top answer....

http://www.sportsbar.net.au/images/australianrugby1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find something like this (below) in the letters page of the official rag of the British National Party.

"A walk around Camden Town or London's South Circular Road nowadays makes you wonder who the native population is. I'm definitely feeling like a foreigner in my own country around here, and around places like Thomas More Street, Tower Hamlets"
    Yours,
    An unabashed Racist
    P.S.
    While we're at it, can we run those dirty, lazy Irish out of town, that can't even speak English proper, like what I do, innit.

That doesn't change the fact that I genuinely feel like a foreigner around certain areas. That doesn't make me a racist it's simply stating a feeling. If I was being racist I'd say something like all foreigners should go home, but I'm not saying that.

I know you'd like to portray anyone who dares question unfettered immigration as being a racist, but if you can't even have the discussion without throwing labels around then what does that say?

That doesn't change the fact that I genuinely feel like a foreigner around certain areas. That doesn't make me a racist it's simply stating a feeling. If I was being racist I'd say something like all foreigners should go home, but I'm not saying that.

I know you'd like to portray anyone who dares question unfettered immigration as being a racist, but if you can't even have the discussion without throwing labels around then what does that say?

1. The only way you can change those feelings is for you to change your attitude towards other human beings. Policy cannot make you 'feel' different.

and

2. Ireland doesn't have an unfettered immigration policy, nor has anyone suggested it.

3. You are the one using the word racist.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Illegal immigration isn't really a problem in Ireland though :confused:

Probably not, but I think it's better to have the discussion now before it gets out of control.

The reason I say that is that once a country's native population is outnumbered (I know we're a long way from that, but still) it's impossible to undo the effects of immigration.

I look at countries like Finland and Japan and how anti-immigration they are and just wonder "What if?"

What if Finland and Japan might do better as a result?

Personally, I think having about 10% of the population as foreign born (which is currently the case in Ireland) is about the right level to have.

It adds to the cosmopolitan flavour of the country, while still maintaining a cohesive national identity.

I think the UK and France have maybe gone too far a little bit, and they have their own problems to deal with as a result.

MadsL wrote: »
    1. The only way you can change those feelings is for you to change your attitude towards other human beings. Policy cannot make you 'feel' different.

and

2. Ireland doesn't have an unfettered immigration policy, nor has anyone suggested it.

3. You are the one using the word racist.

1. What have I actually said about other human beings? Where in my post?

3. I was compared to a hypothetical "unabashed racist" - I did not use the term first, I was responding to the other post.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Probably not, but I think it's better to have the discussion now before it gets out of control.

The reason I say that is that once a country's native population is outnumbered (I know we're a long way from that, but still) it's impossible to undo the effects of immigration.

I look at countries like Finland and Japan and how anti-immigration they are and just wonder "What if?"

Personally, I think having about 10% of the population as foreign born (which is currently the case in Ireland) is about the right level to have.

It adds to the cosmopolitan flavour of the country, while still maintaining a cohesive national identity.

I think the UK and France have maybe gone too far a little bit, and they have their own problems to deal with as a result.

If we had a census again in 2012, I'll bet you any money that the amount of non EU nationals in the country will be either the same or lower.

There really isn't any coming over to the country right now and there won't be for years. They can't just decide to come over with a work visa whenever they want.
    Most non EU nationals were hired from their countries during the Celtic Tiger when there was a need for them, they're obviously not hiring any more.

EU nationals are a different story and their movement can't be predicted

Ah, I see how you slid that little white fear dogwhistle in there. Well done.

And "outnumbered" there's another one.

What if you weren't talking nonsense, Japan's economy sucks. Finland's isn't much either (55th) but saved by Nokia and abundant mineral resources.
    One in, one out?
    What identity would that be exactly?
    For example?

Oh sorry, you must have been referring to your dislike of all these foods popping up making you feel like a foreigner. Jesus, in some parts of Dublin it is impossible to get a good coodle. All this fecking pizza, noodles and sushi shite!

3. I was compared to a hypothetical "unabashed racist"
    - Oh, sorry - had trouble seeing the difference between what you posted and the average rant. Explain to me how you are not again.

Ah, I see how you slid that little white fear dogwhistle in there. Well done.

And "outnumbered" there's another one.

What if you weren't talking nonsense, Japan's economy sucks. Finland's isn't much either (55th) but saved by Nokia and abundant mineral resources.

One in, one out?

What identity would that be exactly?

For example?

I'm not attempting to put any dog whistles, please take my comments at face value, I'm not a politician I don't need to play the dog whistle game - my opinions are stated here.

I wasn't saying we are outnumbered, I said we're a long way off it but let's at least discuss it before it ever reaches that stage.

Finland and Japan's economies seem to be doing alright, certainly better than ours, and that includes the fact that Finland is in the euro, and Japan had a GDP shock because of the earthquake.

In terms of a cohesive national identity, I would be thinking of a traditional Irish identity. I think most reasonable people have a fair idea of what that is no?

In terms of the UK and France, some problems they have included domestic extremism, ghettos and a lack of interest in integration by certain immigrant groups

Oh sorry, you must have been referring to your dislike of all these foods popping up making you feel like a foreigner. Jesus, in some parts of Dublin it is impossible to get a good coodle. All this fecking pizza, noodles and sushi shite!

- Oh, sorry - had trouble seeing the difference between what you posted and the average rant. Explain to me how you are not again.

I happen to like pizza, noodles and sushi! I like kebabs and curry too, nothing wrong with the cosmopolitan side that immigration brings.

And I shouldn't have to explain why I'm not racist, I think innocent until proven guilty should apply. I'm offering a viewpoint, so let's stick to the actual topic and not waste time on whether or not I'm a racist. You think I am, I disagree - end of.

I'm not attempting to put any dog whistles, please take my comments at face value, I'm not a politician I don't need to play the dog whistle game - my opinions are stated here. I wasn't saying we are outnumbered, I said we're a long way off it but let's at least discuss it before it ever reaches that stage.

So using words like "out of control" and "outnumbered" is your neutral way of discussing. I see. Not emotive huh. But seeing we are playing that game what would that mean exactly? 51% of people in Ireland were born elsewhere. What do think would be "out of control" about that, and what would the consequences be?
    Finland and Japan's economies seem to be doing alright, certainly better than ours, and that includes the fact that Finland is in the euro, and Japan had a GDP shock because of the earthquake.
    And what factor do you think immigration policy plays in all of that? Japan has had a 20 year economic slump.
    In terms of a cohesive national identity, I would be thinking of a traditional Irish identity. I think most reasonable people have a fair idea of what that is no?
    Let's pretend I'm not reasonable (my wife frequently tells me I am unreasonable) what is that "cohesive national identity" - could you describe it for me?
    In terms of the UK and France, some problems they have included domestic extremism, ghettos and a lack of interest in integration by certain immigrant groups

Domestic extremism like paramilitaries on the streets and 'peace' walls built between communities and a lack of interest in finding a solution to those problems leading to domestic terrorism even including bombings. Right. Which ethnic group was that again. Can't remember, don't think it was Nigerians though.

• Advertisement

So using words like "out of control" and "outnumbered" is your neutral way of discussing. I see. Not emotive huh. But seeing we are playing that game what would that mean exactly? 51% of people in Ireland were born elsewhere. What do think would be "out of control" about that, and what would the consequences be?

And what factor do you think immigration policy plays in all of that? Japan has had a 20 year economic slump.

Let's pretend I'm not reasonable (my wife frequently tells me I am unreasonable) what is that "cohesive national identity" - could you describe it for me?

Domestic extremism like paramilitaries on the streets and 'peace' walls built between communities and a lack of interest in finding a solution to those problems leading to domestic terrorism even including bombings. Right. Which ethnic group was that again. Can't remember, don't think it was Nigerians though.

A cohesive national identity would be like what we have now pretty much, with the vast majority of people being born and reared in Ireland, and having an Irish mentality - for example they'd get the context of a radio programme like Joe Duffy, they'd support Ireland in sport above all other countries. They'd speak with Irish accents. They wouldn't be just living here for economic reasons and having their loyalty primarily to another country or religion.

The NI comparison is an interesting one but that involves two tribes against each other, whereas in France and UK it's individual tribes against the country itself, and refusing to assimilate into the the broader society and accept their customs and norms. Also, in NI the problems were primarily caused from the top down, where as religious extremism in the UK is more from the bottom up.

Also, despite Japan's economic slump, unemployment there is 4.2%, which is approx 3 times lower than Ireland's.

A cohesive national identity would be like what we have now pretty much, with the vast majority of people being born and reared in Ireland, and having an Irish mentality - for example they'd get the context of a radio programme like Joe Duffy, they'd support Ireland in sport above all other countries. They'd speak with Irish accents. They wouldn't be just living here for economic reasons and having their loyalty primarily to another country or religion.
    So describe for me how you will police this new Hibernia where the vast majority listen to joe, wear the green jersey and speak with Irish accents. And when will the D4 evictions begin? Will there be flaming torches, I hope so, I love a good mob me.
    The NI comparison is an interesting one but that involves two tribes against each other,

Tribes. Tell me, could I, for example, join one?
    whereas in France and UK it's individual tribes against the country itself
    What 'tribes' would they be. Could you describe one?
    and refusing to assimilate into the the broader society and accept their customs and norms.
    Which "customs and norms" would they be?
    Also, in NI the problems were primarily caused from the top down, where as religious extremism in the UK is more from the bottom up.

Who do you see as the "top" in NI?
    What is the "bottom" in the UK, could you give me an example.

So describe for me how you will police this new Hibernia where the vast majority listen to joe, wear the green jersey and speak with Irish accents. And when will the D4 evictions begin? Will there be flaming torches, I hope so, I love a good mob me.

Tribes. Tell me, could I, for example, join one?

What 'tribes' would they be. Could you describe one?

Which "customs and norms" would they be?

Who do you see as the "top" in NI?
    What is the "bottom" in the UK, could you give me an example.

Haha your arguments are getting a bit silly now.

You asked me for an EXAMPLE of what I thought a cohesive national identity is. You took a casual example and think that's my vision for a totalitarian police state!! Haha!

Tribes is a loose term, and yes you are free to join any tribe. I myself am a member of a tribe. We're called Liverpool fans. Jeez, you're getting desparate!

Then you try to get me to offer an EXAMPLE of top and bottom. Well the top could be the gerrymandering of the political system (e.g. Derry), whereas the bottom could be certain religious places of worship that preach extremism and holy war against the very country they are based in.

Haha your arguments are getting a bit silly now.

You asked me for an EXAMPLE of what I thought a cohesive national identity is. You took a casual example and think that's my vision for a totalitarian police state!! Haha!
    No, I asked you how you were going to police this utopia. How do you get people to have the same culture. I believe it has been rather unsuccessful tried previously.
    Tribes is a loose term, and yes you are free to join any tribe.
    Yeah, except there are parts of the Ardoyne Rd where applications to join the tribe by Mr O'Mahoney would be blackballed.
    I myself am a member of a tribe. We're called Liverpool fans. Jeez, you're getting desparate!
    Glad to see you are adopting foreign culture. What happens when 51% of Irish no longer follow GAA?
    Then you try to get me to offer an EXAMPLE of top and bottom. Well the top could be the gerrymandering of the political system (e.g. Derry), whereas the bottom could be certain religious places of worship that preach extremism and holy war against the very country they are based in.

Oh, so social and economic pressures cause it rather than ethnicity from the top, but at the bottom it is "holy war". Was the troubles not a "holy war" then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

We're called Liverpool fans.

Liverpool fans wouldn't be part of a cohesive national identity, would they?

The question I'd like answered, and I can't see if it was asked yet, would be how do you know these people in Camden St are not natives?

No, I asked you how you were going to police this utopia. How do you get people to have the same culture. I believe it has been rather unsuccessful tried previously.

Yeah, except there are parts of the Ardoyne Rd where applications to join the tribe by Mr O'Mahoney would be blackballed.

Glad to see you are adopting foreign culture. What happens when 51% of Irish no longer follow GAA?

Oh, so social and economic pressures cause it rather than ethnicity from the top, but at the bottom it is "holy war". Was the troubles not a "holy war" then?

Well you can't police people's minds, but you can police the borders and restrict immigration to EU countries.

I wouldn't call the troubles a holy war in the sense that it was one religion against the world. It was a complex political and sectarian conflict between two opposing sides. I don't see the opposing side of, for example Al Qaeda recruits in Bradford. Who are their equivalents that they are fighting against?

Pherekydes wrote: »

The question I'd like answered, and I can't see if it was asked yet, would be how do you know these people in Camden St are not natives?

No. That's not the question. The question is do they listen to Joe and understand it in context. Tis simple, Joe.

Pherekydes wrote: »

It could be the fact that they don't look Irish, it could also be partly due to the fact they speak Arabic!

Also, if you can't admit to the idea of a cohesive national identity, then there's not much point in arguing with you. You're being unreasonable by not even trying to accept the idea of a cohesive national identity.

Instead, you ask for an example of what that would be like, then take the example and misconstrue it to mean that is the sum total of what a cohesive national identity is.

It's like giving an apple as an example of a fruit. It doesn't mean all fruit are apples!

• Advertisement

Well you can't police people's minds, but you can police the borders and restrict immigration to EU countries.

And you are aware that we do this. Right.
    I wouldn't call the troubles a holy war in the sense that it was one religion against the world. It was a complex political and sectarian conflict between two opposing sides. I don't see the opposing side of, for example Al Qaeda recruits in Bradford. Who are their equivalents that they are fighting against?

I imagine in their minds those bombing their fellow muslims.
    That makes as much sense to me as the Romanians driven out of NI, but there we are.

My point is that you seem to be pointing to "problems" that don't exist in Ireland, the UK is very different. Have you lived there out of interest? You'll find that extremism is very much a minority (much like Belfast now) and that most immigrants want to just live their lives.

Still waiting for your examples by the way of "norms and customs" in the UK. Is cricket one? I do hope so.

It could be the fact that they don't look Irish, it could also be partly due to the fact they speak Arabic!

What does an Irish person look like?

Camden street full of Arabic speakers?

3. I was compared to a hypothetical "unabashed racist" - I did not use the term first, I was responding to the other post.
    ?...

......A walk around the Camden Street / South Circular road nowadays makes you wonder who the native population is. I'm definitely feeling like a foreigner in my own country around there, and around places like Moore Street / Parnell Street

Sorry but IMO the above is tantamount to racist language, particularly the jaded and worryingly familiar "I'm definitely feeling like a foreigner in my own country".

If you feel uncomfortable with the language you use being compared to that of an unabashed racist, then maybe - in your case - all is not lost.

Perhaps a hypothetical 'abashed' racist would be more apposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sorry but IMO the above is tantamount to racist language, particularly the jaded and worryingly familiar "I'm definitely feeling like a foreigner in my own country".

If you feel uncomfortable with the language you use being compared to that of an unabashed racist, then maybe - in your case - all is not lost.

Perhaps a hypothetical 'abashed' racist would be more apposite.

How is tantamount to racism? :confused:

Bambi wrote: »
    How is tantamount to racism? :confused:

I said tantamount to racist language.

CONCISE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY
    TANTAMOUNT (foll. by) to
    equivalent to

It could be the fact that they don't look Irish

What does an Irish person look like?

• Advertisement

So a lot like the special relationship we have with the EU, countries we have working holiday arrangements with and countries we market medical training to.

I did a lot of work showing you that this nonsense about thousands of PPS numbers issued was in fact nonsense, and you ignored those statistics.

So now we are back to you saying "we'll join up with the UK and it will be grand like it was before independence". Dear me, is that the
    sum total of your intellectual output in backing up your argument?

I never once mentioned PPS numbers in my posts and I have never advocated re-joining the UK.

I never once mentioned PPS numbers in my posts and I have never advocated re-joining the UK.

Sigh. The only measure we have of the numbers of non Irish Nationals joining the labour market is PPS numbers. You said:
    The harsh reality is that we just cannot afford to be a multi-cultural society. Ireland is a tiny country with few natural resources and the few resources that we do have, be they employment or educational opportunities or health and welfare services should be used for the benefit of our own people.

And I showed you how the numbers of PPS numbers issued in 2011 do NOT reflect your nonsense about "floodgates".

You simply ignored that.

Sigh. The only measure we have of the numbers of non Irish Nationals joining the labour market is PPS numbers. You said:

And I showed you how the numbers of PPS numbers issued in 2011 do NOT reflect your nonsense about "floodgates".

You simply ignored that.

When I speak about ' the floodgates' I mean the crazy decision made by the Irish government in 2004 to admit immigrants from the 10 accession states. Only Ireland, the UK and Sweden let them in from day one. We could have protected our labour market and kept them out for another 6 years.

When I speak about ' the floodgates' I mean the crazy decision made by the Irish government in 2004 to admit immigrants from the 10 accession states. Only Ireland, the UK and Sweden let them in from day one. We could have protected our labour market and kept them out for another 6 years.

And who would we have built all those apartments and then rented them?

Interesting that you blame immigrants for the mismanagement of the biggest gift of an economic miracle this country has ever seen.

And I don't see a huge impact on Sweden. Apart from the crash all countries have experienced in 2008 as a result of the credit crisis.

........- for example they'd get the context of a radio programme like Joe Duffy, they'd support Ireland in sport above all other countries.......They'd speak with Irish accents. They wouldn't be just living here for economic reasons and having their loyalty primarily to another country or religion.......

Perhaps the 'context' of a radio programme such as 'Liveline' will change to reflect the new demographic, hardly a reason for major concern.
    Occasionally I listen to a similar show on BBC 5 Live hosted by Nicky Campbell, yes the contributors have different accents - regional and national - but they all seem to understand each other and the topic of the day, no problem.

Your "they'd support Ireland in sport above all other countries" is carbon-copy Norman Tebbit's Cricket Test.
    'Google' it, have fun!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement