Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

199 different nationalities now in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Clareboy wrote: »
    When I speak about ' the floodgates' I mean the crazy decision made by the Irish government in 2004 to admit immigrants from the 10 accession states. Only Ireland, the UK and Sweden let them in from day one. We could have protected our labour market and kept them out for another 6 years.

Why should they have been kept out?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

old hippy wrote: »
    What does an Irish person look like?

Ginger-haired, pasty white skin and freckles? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Quirk_Douglas

old hippy wrote: »

What's the matter now, old snippy? You're sure hanging around this thread an awful lot, are you trying to change people's opinions, one boards.ie member at a time?

You know what an Irish person looks like, so don't be facetious, you've lived in this country for long enough, you should know by now. I really wonder what your game is though, I mean - what's your ultimate goal? Why are you so adamant on continued immigration and for these immigrants to be referred to as 'Irish'? Why are you trying to draw certain answers out of people so you can play the race card? What do you get out of it?

The people who are anti-immigration or in favour of more stringent immigration control on this thread -it seems to me- hold these opinions because they want to preserve our Irish culture and heritage and stop it from being bowdlerized, but what do you want?

You're obviously in favour of multiculturalism - why? And don't bother giving me a list of statistics which explains why multiculturalism is good for the economy or something, what's good for the economy in the short-term may be disastrous for our country in the long-term. Besides, people debating with statistics copied and pasted from different websites is tiresome and has very little relevance. Try using your brain to expostulate with for a change.

Also, tell me, as a matter of curiousity; have you always been in favour of everything that the media beats into your brain and tells you is a good idea - or have you just been feeling particularly docile recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What's the matter now, old snippy? You're sure hanging around this thread an awful lot, are you trying to change people's opinions, one boards.ie member at a time?
    I call that bold talk for someone with 20 posts to their name. He can post on this thread as much as he likes, within the charter. What is it to you?
    You know what an Irish person looks like, so don't be facetious, you've lived in this country for long enough, you should know by now.
    OK, I'll play that game. Which of these people are Irish?http://imgur.com/a/oTom5#0
    I really wonder what your game is though, I mean - what's your ultimate goal?
    Probably some hippy **** like "we are all people" - does that threaten you?
    Why are you so adamant on continued immigration and for these immigrants to be referred to as 'Irish'?
    Probably because immigration is useful for economic growth and because it is rude to call someone with an Irish passport "not Irish".
    Why are you trying to draw certain answers out of people so you can play the race card?
    He's not holding a gun to anyones head "making them" say things now is he?
    As to "playing the race card" that does not mean what you think it means.
    What do you get out of it?
    It's a discussion forum - why are you here?
    The people who are anti-immigration or in favour of more stringent immigration control on this thread -it seems to me- hold these opinions because they want to preserve our Irish culture and heritage and stop it from being bowdlerized,
    Really, I had a pretty tough time trying to get most Irish people from showing any interest in stopping Irish cultural heritage buildings from rotting. Those concerned about immigration especially so. And bowdlerize doesn't mean what you thik it means. it refers more to censorship..what aspects of Irish culture do you beleieve are being censored???

but what do you want?
    You're obviously in favour of multiculturalism - why? And don't bother giving me a list of statistics which explains why multiculturalism is good for the economy or something, what's good for the economy in the short-term may be disastrous for our country in the long-term.
    Any evidence for that?
    Besides, people debating with statistics copied and pasted from different websites is tiresome and has very little relevance.

Yes those pesky facts get in the way don't they?
    Try using your brain to expostulate with for a change.
    What assertion would you like him to "expostule" against with his brain? I like you, you are funny.
    Also, tell me, as a matter of curiousity; have you always been in favour of everything that the media beats into your brain and tells you is a good idea - or have you just been feeling particularly docile recently?

Ah the medjah. And the old ad hominem attack. Shame, you were doing relatively well until there. If asking for a proper slanging match instead of debating facts was doing well.

God Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

MadsL wrote: »
    I imagine in their minds those bombing their fellow muslims.
    That makes as much sense to me as the Romanians driven out of NI, but there we are.

Indeed, there we are.

So, you think the London 7/7 bombers thought they were killing the people bombing their fellow muslims? Which were ordinary London commuters.

Don't you think there's something pathologically wrong with that type of mentality? I don't think the UK in this day and age is very unwelcoming place for immigrants. I think there's plenty of government support for integration, but the fact is that large sections of the population just have no interest in their children becoming English.

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Indeed, there we are.

So, you think the London 7/7 bombers thought they were killing the people bombing their fellow muslims? Which were ordinary London commuters.

I have no idea what they were thinking. Likewise I have no real understanding of the reasons Irish people chose to bomb my local shopping centre when I was younger. I don't recall suggesting they should ut controls on Irish coming to my home country however.
    Don't you think there's something pathologically wrong with that type of mentality?
    Of course...However a very small minority of any nation engage in terrorism
    I don't think the UK in this day and age is very unwelcoming place for immigrants. I think there's plenty of government support for integration,
    You say that like it should be unwelcoming.
    but the fact is that large sections of the population just have no interest in their children becoming English.

Tell me, how long have you lived in the UK - and where?

I have no idea what they were thinking. Likewise I have no real understanding of the reasons Irish people chose to bomb my local shopping centre when I was younger. I don't recall suggesting they should ut controls on Irish coming to my home country however.

Of course...However a very small minority of any nation engage in terrorism

You say that like it should be unwelcoming.

Tell me, how long have you lived in the UK - and where?

IRA and Al Qaeda is a false equivalence. There was a political element to the IRA, UVF, ETA, Palestinian's or if you want to go back further the IDF who were essentially a terrorist organisation pre-1948.
    Al Qaeda have no political agenda and are largely based on hatred of those considered less pure than them.

Don't think it matters how long I lived in the UK, why do you keep asking? For the record I spent 2 years in London

IRA and Al Qaeda is a false equivalence.

One mans freedom fighter is anothers terrorist etc.
    There was a political element to the IRA, UVF, ETA, Palestinian's or if you want to go back further the IDF who were essentially a terrorist organisation pre-1948.
    Al Qaeda have no political agenda and are largely based on hatred of those considered less pure than them.

Really. So a political wing legitimises blowing up civilians. Interesting.
    Don't think it matters how long I lived in the UK, why do you keep asking? For the record I spent 2 years in London

So you were an immigrant then. Interesting. How would you react if I suggested you were not really there legitimately and just gathering intelligence for a bombing campaign. Would that be reasonable seeing as how your fellow countryman, y'know, bombed shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

9959 wrote: »
    Perhaps the 'context' of a radio programme such as 'Liveline' will change to reflect the new demographic, hardly a reason for major concern.
    Occasionally I listen to a similar show on BBC 5 Live hosted by Nicky Campbell, yes the contributors have different accents - regional and national - but they all seem to understand each other and the topic of the day, no problem.

Your "they'd support Ireland in sport above all other countries" is carbon-copy Norman Tebbit's Cricket Test.
    'Google' it, have fun!

coonecb1,
    I make a point comparing your ''they'd support Ireland in sport above all other countries" to Right-Wing ideologue Norman Tebbit's 'cricket test', and you thank me for it, (scratches head), I'm almost as confused as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

You know what an Irish person looks like, so don't be facetious, you've lived in this country for long enough, you should know by now. I really wonder what your game is though, I mean - what's your ultimate goal? Why are you so adamant on continued immigration and for these immigrants to be referred to as 'Irish'? Why are you trying to draw certain answers out of people so you can play the race card? What do you get out of it?

The people who are anti-immigration or in favour of more stringent immigration control on this thread -it seems to me- hold these opinions because they want to preserve our Irish culture and heritage and stop it from being bowdlerized, but what do you want?

You're obviously in favour of multiculturalism - why? And don't bother giving me a list of statistics which explains why multiculturalism is good for the economy or something, what's good for the economy in the short-term may be disastrous for our country in the long-term. Besides, people debating with statistics copied and pasted from different websites is tiresome and has very little relevance. Try using your brain to expostulate with for a change.

+1

Could not have put it better myself, The smugness of some people on here talking about intellect or lack of it is incredible.

People are entitled to have an opinion on their country opening up boarders, but when they do it's almost like the intellectual elite line up one by one to nit pick through any post.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

And who would we have built all those apartments and then rented them?

Interesting that you blame immigrants for the mismanagement of the biggest gift of an economic miracle this country has ever seen.

And I don't see a huge impact on Sweden. Apart from the crash all countries have experienced in 2008 as a result of the credit crisis.

Building a load of apartments for those who actually building them! Well that makes sound economic sense!

The Big Irish Economic Miracle - and what a price we, our children and the generations yet unborn will have to pay for the greatest economic miracle this country has ever seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It is annoying when people try to use facts in an argument. Gets in the way of all the irrational disliking of other races.

And seriously, what culture do we have? We watch english football, we don't speak irish, we drink to excess (my favorite bit) and watch english soap operas.
    I really don't see how a polish person doing the same is going to hurt irish "culture".

Building a load of apartments for those who actually building them! Well that makes sound economic sense!

The Big Irish Economic Miracle - and what a price we, our children and the generations yet unborn will have to pay for the greatest economic miracle this country has ever seen!

Are you blaming immigrants for the policies of a Fianna fail government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Grayson wrote: »
    He is blaming immigrants for everything. Like many in this country he is too indolent to do anything for himself and resents "outsiders" who show him and his like up for their lack of abilities and "go get it" spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Indeed, (..........)dren becoming English.

As I asked earlier -

Camden street full of Arabic speakers?

You know what an Irish person looks like, so don't be facetious, you've lived in this country for long enough, you should know by now. I really wonder what your game is though, I mean - what's your ultimate goal? Why are you so adamant on continued immigration and for these immigrants to be referred to as 'Irish'?...........

My, aren't you the angry fellow.

Tell me, why shouldn't they be referred to as Irish? Are you saying we should have two types of Irish citizen?

And who do you blame for that, and why.

And no one want to play spot the Irish?

http://imgur.com/a/oTom5#0

It can't be the gingers. That'd be too easy.

Unless you knew I'd think that. In which case it is the gingers.

But then you'd know that I'd know that. So you place the cup with the poison in front of me.

Wait. Where was I?

Grayson wrote: »

I am blaming the Fianna Fail government for opening the floodgates to foreign immigrants and for destroying our country. The fact that we now have 199 nationalities in Ireland is nothing to celebrate.

• Advertisement

He is blaming immigrants for everything. Like many in this country he is too indolent to do anything for himself and resents "outsiders" who show him and his like up for their lack of abilities and "go get it" spirit.

How dare you speak about me in the third party and how dare you say that I am indolent. You know nothing about me, so do not personalise this discussion.

I am blaming the Fianna Fail government for opening the floodgates to foreign immigrants and for destroying our country.

You are asserting that.

A. Fianna Fail government for opened "the floodgates".
    B. The country was "destroyed"

Are you saying the country was destroyed because FF let in a lot of immigrants?

Nothing at all to do with the financial practices of FF?
    The fact that we now have 199 nationalities in Ireland is nothing to celebrate.
    I agree, we should certainly wait for a proper milestone to celebrate.

9959 wrote: »
    coonecb1,
    I make a point comparing your ''they'd support Ireland in sport above all other countries" to Right-Wing ideologue Norman Tebbit's 'cricket test', and you thank me for it, (scratches head), I'm almost as confused as you.

It was a thanks for the interesting link, because I'd never heard about it.

I actually scrolled down hoping to find that it's faded to insignificance because 2nd and 3rd generations supported England rather than the 1st generation, but actually it didn't seem to be anything like that, which kind of confirms the things I wouldn't like to see happen here.

One mans freedom fighter is anothers terrorist etc.

Really. So a political wing legitimises blowing up civilians. Interesting.

So you were an immigrant then. Interesting. How would you react if I suggested you were not really there legitimately and just gathering intelligence for a bombing campaign. Would that be reasonable seeing as how your fellow countryman, y'know, bombed shit.

I would say you're throwing an accusation that's factually incorrect, and ask you to back it up with evidence.

I'm not saying that about immigrants, I'm merely pointing to actual, real-world examples of the negative side of excessive immigration.

Of course I know the majority of immigrants are honest decent people. But when you allow ghettos to develop, there will be negative consequences. An example is the violent extreme Islamists in the UK.

And who do you blame for that, and why.

Eh, I'll go with Mel Gibson as my answer :o

I would say you're throwing an accusation that's factually incorrect, and ask you to back it up with evidence.

Then don't mind if I ask for your evidence that "large sections of the population just have no interest in their children becoming English." and why you seem opposed to an evidence based discussion earlier when you said "don't bother giving me a list of statistics"
    I'm not saying that about immigrants, I'm merely pointing to actual, real-world examples of the negative side of excessive immigration.

By highlighting extreme examples such as Al-Qaeda and the 7/7 bombers you are extrapolating into the entire immigrant population. That's as useful as me judging the Irish by the actions of the CIRA.
    Of course I know the majority of immigrants are honest decent people. But when you allow ghettos to develop, there will be negative consequences. An example is the violent extreme Islamists in the UK.

And there you go again.

• Advertisement

Eh, I'll go with Mel Gibson as my answer :o

Final answer?

Nodin wrote: »
    As I asked earlier -

Camden street full of Arabic speakers?

I 'd say a reasonable description of what an Irish person looks like would be fair haired, pale skinned and blue eyed - and ugly!

Now, there are many variations on that but I think if you rounded up a random sample of 1000 Irish people i think the majority would fit that description.

Personally I have dark hair but blue eyes, so I contradict my own generalisation.

Then again, there are exceptions to most rules in life.

I 'd say a reasonable description of what an Irish person looks like would be fair haired, pale skinned and blue eyed - and ugly!

Now, there are many variations on that but I think if you rounded up a random sample of 1000 Irish people i think the majority would fit that description.

Personally I have dark hair but blue eyes, so I contradict my own generalisation.

But you can't confidently say who is Irish from that collection of six people.

I'd like to make the following points.

1. I think immigration is a good thing, but I believe there should be a limit on it.

2. At the moment we have 10% of the Irish people who are foreign born. I think this is close to the optimal amount to have, it brings massive benefits to the country without much negative things.

3. However, I believe now is the time to get tough on immigration (from outside the EU obviously) as there are negative effects that will come if we allow the % born outside Ireland to get to 40-50%.

4. The reason I say this, is that once you get to those levels, there's no going back, there's no mass deportation that's really possible. The time to have the debate is now, not in 30/40 years time.

Also, my Joe Duffy "Context" quote was meant as follows:

Most true Irish people would understand the ridiculousness of Joe Duffy and Liveline.

I think people not born here don't really get the idea that we don't complain, we ring Joe Duffy instead.

It's a light hearted point I was trying to make

• Advertisement

I'd like to make the following points.

1. I think immigration is a good thing, but I believe there should be a limit on it.

2. At the moment we have 10% of the Irish people who are foreign born. I think this is close to the optimal amount to have, it brings massive benefits to the country without much negative things.

Why is 10% optimal? Based on what?
    3. However, I believe now is the time to get tough on immigration (from outside the EU obviously) as there are negative effects that will come if we allow the % born outside Ireland to get to 40-50%.

What negative effects would they be?
    4. The reason I say this, is that once you get to those levels, there's no going back, there's no mass deportation that's really possible. The time to have the debate is now, not in 30/40 years time.

Because immigration is a one way street right? No-one ever leaves.

But you can't confidently say who is Irish from that collection of six people.

No because I don't believe it's a realistic sample of 6 people based on the Irish population.

Plus they are different nationalities so I probably couldn't distinguish any of the nationalities let alone which one is Irish

Then don't mind if I ask for your evidence that "large sections of the population just have no interest in their children becoming English." and why you seem opposed to an evidence based discussion earlier when you said "don't bother giving me a list of statistics"

By highlighting extreme examples such as Al-Qaeda and the 7/7 bombers you are extrapolating into the entire immigrant population. That's as useful as me judging the Irish by the actions of the CIRA.

And there you go again.

I know you think you've comprehensively rebutted my points but you haven't.

I wasn't the one who was opposed to the list of stats, it was another poster. I don't think you can have an evidence based discussion on anything without it turning into a snooze fest. I'm simply giving my opinions and you're giving yours. Don't cite lack of evidence as meaning they're invalid points.

No I'm not, read my quote, I said:

Just felt I needed to say this,

I have recently let out my apartment, the same apartment I bought in 2005. When I moved in all 102 were owner occupied. In the past 5 years each and every single one of these apartments have been let to non nationals on rent allowance.

When I was in the process of letting my apartment the first 4 couples were on rent allowance and all non nationals, the lady who moved in told me she works 37 hours a week but now asks would I accept rent allowance. This lady is 6 months in the country. Now I have a huge problem with my tax's being used to pay rent allowance for someone in this country 6 months. I have no doubt the smug, all inclusive, it's good for the country brigade will ask ''what's the problem'' but I am sick of seeing my tax being spent on non nationals whilst every single service is cut to the bone.

Why is 10% optimal? Based on what?

What negative effects would they be?

Because immigration is a one way street right? No-one ever leaves.

I believe 10% is optimal, it's not a scientific number, it's a subjective thing based on my opinion by for example comparing Dublin to London, Amsterdam, Paris and various places I've visited.

I observe other countries, I observe Ireland, I draw the 10% figure as a basic idea.

The negative effects I've already explained if you care to read my posts.

I believe certain types of immigration are basically a one-way street. Immigration from Nigeria, the Middle East is basically one-way traffic.

Immigration from the EU, China, Brazil I think is a bit of a revolving door, with people coming going in both directions.

No because I don't believe it's a realistic sample of 6 people based on the Irish population. Plus they are different nationalities so I probably couldn't distinguish any of the nationalities let alone which one is Irish

OK, then you pick six. Then ask people to name their nationalities. It's not an exact science - the point that is being shown to you is that you cannot judge by looks - most people learn that at an early age.

*retraction - yes you did not say the point about statistics, my other points stand however.

So you can't be black/brown/yellow and Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I am blaming the Fianna Fail government for opening the floodgates to foreign immigrants and for destroying our country. The fact that we now have 199 nationalities in Ireland is nothing to celebrate.

I'm only dealing with the first part of your post

Are they realy to blame? They hadn't a clue what was going on and what would happen
    Dick Roche wrote:
    ''there is no reason to believe that large numbers of workers will wish to come'' (Irish Times letters 12-7-2002)

The opposition knew even less. And himself an MEP and supposed to know Europe
    "I estimate that fewer than 2,000 will choose our distant shores each year." Irish Times 2002

Try closer to 200,000

Any wonder roads and projects and the HSE and any other plan gets messed up with leaders who can't plan anything

not yet wrote: »
    ....but I am sick of seeing my tax being spent on non nationals whilst every single service is cut to the bone.

They came here, they worked and paid tax, and they're entitled to the benefits now if they're unemployed.

• Advertisement

I believe 10% is optimal, it's not a scientific number, it's a subjective thing based on my opinion by for example comparing Dublin to London, Amsterdam, Paris and various places I've visited.

What percentages are those cities at respectively?
    I observe other countries, I observe Ireland, I draw the 10% figure as a basic idea.
    So pulled out of your ass, basically.
    The negative effects I've already explained if you care to read my posts.
    You've mentioned bombings and some vague reference to immigrants not wanting their children to be English. Anything else I have missed?
    I believe certain types of immigration are basically a one-way street. Immigration from Nigeria, the Middle East is basically one-way traffic.
    Is it now? http://www.herald.ie/news/our-emigrants-flood-to-dubai-3105506.html
    Immigration from the EU, China, Brazil I think is a bit of a revolving door, with people coming going in both directions.[/QUOTE]
    You think. Which means you cannot be bothered to research it.

Nodin wrote: »
    They came here, they worked and paid tax, and they're entitled to the benefits now if they're unemployed.

No, you are deluded. I am telling you from my experience this is not always the case. Are you seriously telling me you believe every single non national who has arrived here in the past 10 years worked and paid tax's.

OK, then you pick six. Then ask people to name their nationalities. It's not an exact science - the point that is being shown to you is that you cannot judge by looks - most people learn that at an early age.

*retraction - yes you did not say the point about statistics, my other points stand however.

6 is not a good sample, it's too small to get any meaning from.

I'm not saying there is one description for how all Irish people look, that's ridiculous, it'd be like asking if the average Irish person looks like Phil Lynott or Paul McShane.

But I think if you took a random, unbiased sample of 1000 people from the population of Ireland, I think there would be a discernible pattern to the way people look.

Likewise, I think if you did the same in the UK 100 years ago you'd see a discernible pattern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There are lots going to work in the Middle East. Engineers and teachers and others good jobs

But we don't call them migrant workers, we call them ex-pats ;)

the same apartment I bought in 2005.

Think I spotted the reason for the hostility...

mikemac1 wrote: »
    There are lots going to work in the Middle East. Engineers and teachers and others good jobs

But we don't call them migrant workers, we call them ex-pats ;)

Because there is work in these places. At the moment we do not have work for minimum wage employees, but they still arrive.

No, you are deluded. I am telling you from my experience this is not always the case. Are you seriously telling me you believe every single non national who has arrived here in the past 10 years worked and paid tax's.

Care to post some numbers?

Seems like my side are the argument are doing all the work.

Think I spotted the reason for the hostility...

Yeah, sure ain't your type always correct.

Care to post some numbers?

Seems like my side are the argument are doing all the work.

No...................................

• Advertisement

You can't arrive and claim. That's a fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement