Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

199 different nationalities now in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

not yet wrote: »
    Yeah, sure ain't your type always correct.

Think we found the nerve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Nodin wrote: »
    You can't arrive and claim. That's a fact.

You can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You can

Fascinating. Please link to the relevant department and/or the information on the Citizens information page showing that this is the case.

MadsL wrote: »
    Think we found the nerve.

Who's we...?

Fascinating. Please link to the relevant department and/or the information on the Citizens information page showing that this is the case.

Ah, ain't you naive, How sweet.

• Advertisement

Ah, ain't you naive, How sweet.

You made the statement that they can arrive and claim. Now please be good enough to back it up with some evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Because there is work in these places. At the moment we do not have work for minimum wage employees, but they still arrive.

Do they?

What proff have you that work permits are being issued?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

You can

Can you please elaborate on that? How can an immigrant arrive in Ireland and start claiming unless they meet the residency requirements?

Who's we...?

Royal we. It's a cutural thing.

You made the statement that they can arrive and claim. Now please be good enough to back it up with some evidence.

Evidence this, and evidence that. I told you in my earlier post the lady in my apartment is only in the country a short while, and is now claiming rent allowance. Now I now that's not good enough for you, either way If your telling me you believe that many Nigerians who arrived here are not getting full benefits having never worked you need to wise up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There is no evidence. The claim is 100% false.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Evidence this, and evidence that..

Yeah, I know. I'm an awful bollix for preferring facts to anecdotal base-line xenophobic shite talk.

Wheres your proof? You claimed it, you back it up.
    I told you in my earlier post the lady in my apartment is only in the country a short while, and is now claiming rent allowance.

...the handy anecdote.....
    Now I now that's not good enough for you, either way If your telling me you believe that many Nigerians who arrived here are not getting full benefits having never worked you need to wise up.

And now you're confusing asylum seekers who've gained citizenship with immigrants. Well done.

Now - wheres your evidence that people can arrive and claim?

Evidence this, and evidence that. I told you in my earlier post the lady in my apartment is only in the country a short while, and is now claiming rent allowance. Now I now that's not good enough for you, either way If your telling me you believe that many Nigerians who arrived here are not getting full benefits having never worked you need to wise up.

Wow. I have just changed my entire point of view based on your convincing evidence.

Do you have a newsletter or something I can subscribe to?

Oh and Nigerians. Here we go again.

Nonsense! All your dribble does not still answer the question I am afraid- Can you please provide evidence that an immigrant can come over to Ireland and start claiming straight away? Well apart from this imaginary lady that you seem to be so fixated upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

So you can't be black/brown/yellow and Irish?

Eh, you quote my post and ask a question that's been answered in my same quote.

Here's my post you were quoting:

Personally I have dark hair but blue eyes, so I contradict my own generalisation.

Then again, there are exceptions to most rules in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Most Czechs or Poles consider the Irish utterly nuts for not gathering the delicious mushrooms growing freely in the forests. They also wonder why those bland white ones are they only things in the supermarkets. In the Czech republic you are sworn to secrecy if someone brings you mushroom picking with them as good spots for mushrooms are handed down through generations like hierlooms.

Do you not remember Glenroe and the teenagers gave Mary some wild mushrooms and she was high off her head

Scared a generation of Irish people off wild mushrooms :eek:

Care to post some numbers?

Seems like my side are the argument are doing all the work.

Haha, your side of the argument is asking for us to justify our opposition to immigration.

We're not asking you to do the same, we're merely giving our opinions and rising to your bait.

If you think you're doing all the work, how about this:

1. Explain to me your position on immigration.

2. Since your so big on stats, back up your position with statistics to prove me wrong.

There is no evidence. The claim is 100% false.

It is 100% correct

coonecb1 wrote: »
    If you think you're doing all the work, how about this:

1. Explain to me your position on immigration.

In a nutshell, balanced immigration is a positive for a country. I've lived and worked in four countries so I'd hardly be opposed to immigration. Balanced means a good scheme for prioritisation of skilled workers, as Ireland already operates. Many economic studies have described the positive benefits of immigration on an economy, that's why the majority of countries allow it in varying degrees.
    2. Since your so big on stats, back up your position with statistics to prove me wrong.

Prove what wrong? You made some vague comment about optimal, Amsterdam and 10% all via your "observations".

You'll have to make an assertion if you want statistics.

It is 100% correct

Because facts.

Don't argue lads he has us stumped.

Primary school level debating 101

Tis
    Tisn't.
    Tis
    Tisn't.
    Tis
    Tisn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Don't argue lads he has us stumped.
    Wow. I have just changed my entire point of view based on your convincing evidence.

Do you have a newsletter or something I can subscribe to?

Very condescending tbh

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Very condescending tbh

I prefer to call it smug...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It is 100% correct
    mod

You're just trolling now. You have 3 options available to you:

1. Back up the claim with a link to evidence.
    2. Retract the claim.
    3. Continue to make unsubstantiated claims and receive a ban.

/mod

OK, then you pick six. Then ask people to name their nationalities. It's not an exact science - the point that is being shown to you is that you cannot judge by looks - most people learn that at an early age.

Jeez, I haven't claimed that you can judge people by their looks.

However, looks can give you enough clues to make a logical deduction.

Also, people make decisions based on "the look" of people all the time. Sure it's not logical and rational but it's based on people's subjective experience of the world.

Examples of this would be:

Compare a black skinned person to a person of light skin and blonde or fair hair.

Sure, you can't tell where they're from, but you can tell where their not from, e.g. it's a fair assumption that neither of them are from Japan.

They could both be from Japan but a fair assumption would say they're not

Jeez, I haven't claimed that you can judge people by their looks.

Really. Except you "feel like a foreigner" when you walk around certain parts of Dublin.

Did you stop and talk to many people?

In a nutshell, balanced immigration is a positive for a country. I've lived and worked in four countries so I'd hardly be opposed to immigration. Balanced means a good scheme for prioritisation of skilled workers, as Ireland already operates. Many economic studies have described the positive benefits of immigration on an economy, that's why the majority of countries allow it in varying degrees.

I acknowledge the good things about immigration, and I agree that economic studies show immigration to be a good thing, but it depends on the situation. In an expanding economy with specific skills shortages immigration is a good thing.

So what do you think "unbalanced" immigration would look like?

The reality is that unbalanced immigration rarely takes place, once economic conditions mean that jobs are scarce, migrant workers move elsewhere.

I'm a (not very) good example of that.

Really. Except you "feel like a foreigner" when you walk around certain parts of Dublin.

Did you stop and talk to many people?

My point is, you can't judge someone purely by the way they look, but you can tell a fair bit about someone by the way they look.

For example, if I see someone with black skin in Parnell Street, you can't judge them purely based on how they look, but I think it's a fair guess that they're from Africa.

Of course it could be wrong, they could be from Leitrim, but I think if we played that guessing game I'd be right more often than not

Of course it could be wrong, they could be from Leitrim, but I think if we played that guessing game I'd be right more often than not

Remind me to play that guessing game with you in a room full of Americans.

I think you would be wrong 100% of the time.

Anyway the issue is not how others look it is how they make you feel.

What does it mean when you say you "feel" like a foreigner?

• Advertisement

Mod:

Do what you want I don't care.

I've consistently given first a first hand account of my apartment being let to a lady only months in the country and now on rent allowance. If that if not enough then ban me.

Now your being told in advance your wrong, sweet jesus that's a new one here.

Now your being told in advance your wrong, sweet jesus that's a new one here.

You should brush up on your comprehension skills.

"I think" is generally taken to mean "in my opinion" but don't let facts get in the way of your argument (again)

I have also spoken to EEC nationals who are on the dole long term and say, ''Your country is nuts giving this money out''

I have also spoken to EEC nationals who are on the dole long term and say, ''Your country is nuts giving this money out''
    On the basis that their own countries give the dole to Irish people??

Perhaps they are referring to the amount of the dole in Ireland rather than the fact of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

not yet banned.

• Advertisement

I agree, and that's the kind of thing I wouldn't like to see happen to Ireland.

I think America is not so much a melting pot, it's largely a place of individual tribes divided to a large extent. Racial tension is always there even in the 21st Century. American people themselves have told me this.

White people as a percentage of the population are becoming minorities, and I don't necessarily think that's a good thing.

They have massive ghettos of people of Black and Latinos.

The Latinos are to a fair extent more loyal to their home countries, for example the US national anthem was roundly booed by the majority of the stadium in a US-Mexico soccer game in the last couple of years.

Ditto, and believe it or now I've actually defended the giving out of that money.

I agree, and that's the kind of thing I wouldn't like to see happen to Ireland.

I think America is not so much a melting pot, it's largely a place of individual tribes divided to a large extent. Racial tension is always there even in the 21st Century. American people themselves have told me this.

White people as a percentage of the population are becoming minorities, and I don't necessarily think that's a good thing.

They have massive ghettos of people of Black and Latinos.

The Latinos are to a fair extent more loyal to their home countries, for example the US national anthem was roundly booed by the majority of the stadium in a US-Mexico soccer game in the last couple of years.

What utter nonsense. One incident without a link. Any link?

I live in area where 50% of my city speaks Spanish. They are much more patriotic in my experience than the Anglos.

As for ghettos, most large cities around the world have 'ghettos' or in other words poor people.

Ditto, and believe it or now I've actually defended the giving out of that money.

You are aware you can claim dole in another EU state, right?

Must have a chat with some of my Native American friends about how "White" people are becoming a minority and how troublesome that is to you.

• Advertisement

Must have a chat with some of my Native American friends about how "White" people are becoming a minority and how troublesome that is to you.

Indeed, go and ask them how immigration has worked out for them and their ancestors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Believe it or not?

emmm.................
    NOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

You are aware you can claim dole in another EU state, right?

you can claim anything you like.......but how much will you get...????

all the unemployed should go to a hotter clime then....spain or italy, perhaps..????

or, warsaw, paris, berlin, vienna, brussels, what..a choice....

you can claim anything you like.......but how much will you get...????

all the unemployed should go to a hotter clime then....spain or italy, perhaps..????

or, warsaw, paris, berlin, vienna, brussels, what..a choice....

Like all that nice German money that is keeping us afloat, or all that free money our farmers get? Billions, thats how much, fcuking billions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Like all that nice German money that is keeping us afloat, or all that free money our farmers get? Billions, thats how much, fcuking billions!

well, smile and enjoy it..........it may stop soon...

but, by that time, most of ireland will be suffering from depression.....

well, smile and enjoy it..........it may stop soon...

but, by that time, most of ireland will be suffering from depression.....
    We wiill never be as poverty stricken, priest ridden, emotionally,financially, or socially retarded as we were before we joined the EEC/EC/EU.

I acknowledge the good things about immigration, and I agree that economic studies show immigration to be a good thing, but it depends on the situation. In an expanding economy with specific skills shortages immigration is a good thing.

I dont really get the logic of your post there tbh.

What do you mean by unbalanced immigration? For instance, taking the case of Ireland, it is not as if the country has this magnanimous open door policy towards immigration. In actual fact, Ireland has one of the most stringent immigration policies towards Non-EU immigrants in the European Union i.e with cases relating to family reunification of immigrant families, asylum, work permits etc. The vast majority of immigrants in Ireland are actually citizens from EU member nations who have a right to move here, reside and work without any restrictions. I will be surprised if you have a problem with that because Irish citizens are afforded those same rights in all EU/EEA member nations and they have always exercised those rights.

As to your reference to the current economic situation, the issue is that you cant welcome immigrants into the country when you need them and suddenly want them out when things go peer-shaped. They have resided, worked and built lives for themselves here; a lot have to pay relatively extortionate amount of money to renew their visas annually and when they eventually qualify for citizenship, they have to wait for years for an outcome and pay some crazy money for a passport when they are eventually granted one. For your information, it takes an average of 3 years to get an outcome for a citizenship application in Ireland while it takes about 6 months in the UK, Australia, Canada, US etc.

Immigration is always an emotive topic and as such you will find folks who will use it as an avenue to promote their ideological stance on the subject. The problem however, is that a lot of them do not face or understand the facts- hence the amount of rubbish by some posters on this thread.

What utter nonsense. One incident without a link. Any link?

I live in area where 50% of my city speaks Spanish. They are much more patriotic in my experience than the Anglos.

As for ghettos, most large cities around the world have 'ghettos' or in other words poor people.

Yes most large cities have ghettos, that doesn't mean it's a good thing. I don't think we have any ghettos at the moment, but when I walk around South Circular road I see the potential for a ghetto. Same for up around Parnell street.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-21/opinion/navarrette.soccer_1_national-anthem-soccer-team-mexico-jersey?_s=PM:OPINION

Believe it or not?

emmm.................
    NOT

Well you'll just have to take me at my word, which you won't.

I think if people work here and pay taxes then they're entitled to welfare.

No argument there.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jfallon

Mod:

Do what you want I don't care.

I've consistently given first a first hand account of my apartment being let to a lady only months in the country and now on rent allowance. If that if not enough then ban me.

Here is a report in the Independent from 2008 when it was costing the state €150m a year, wonder do the CSO publish stats on non-irish nationals receiving rent allowance?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/united-nations-of-claimants-costing-state-150m-1446654.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement