Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

199 different nationalities now in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

jfallon wrote: »
    Here is a report in the Independent from 2008 when it was costing the state €150m a year, wonder do the CSO publish stats on non-irish nationals receiving rent allowance?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/united-nations-of-claimants-costing-state-150m-1446654.html
    No the CSO dont publish such statistics, no more than revenue publish how much of our tax take comes from non Irish companies using postal addresses here to pay this state huge amounts of corporation tax while avoiding much higher rates in the countries in which they actually based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

We wiill never be as poverty stricken, priest ridden, emotionally,financially, or socially retarded as we were before we joined the EEC/EC/EU.

i wouldn't bet on that....

well, i was born in 1945.....in one room.....from what i remember, we were happier as a nation then.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

KINGVictor wrote: »
    I dont really get the logic of your post there tbh.

What do you mean by unbalanced immigration?

I don't mean anything by unbalance immigration.

I was quoting someone who said they were in favour of what they called "balanced" immigration. They then explained what they thought that meant.

So I was then posing the question as to what would "unbalanced" immigration be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Eh, you quote my post and ask a question that's been answered in my same quote.

Here's my post you were quoting:

Personally I have dark hair but blue eyes, so I contradict my own generalisation.

Then again, there are exceptions to most rules in life.

So therefore looking at a street full of non-white people, you've actually no idea who is and is not an irish citizen.

Nodin wrote: »
    So therefore looking at a street full of non-white people, you've actually no idea who is and is not an irish citizen.

Eh, pretty much yeah <suspects being laid into a trap>

well, i was born in 1945.....in one room.....from what i remember, we were happier as a nation then.....

...yep, the good aul days of tenements, massive emmigration, stultifying conservatism, magdalene laundries, lads being used as slave labour by the christian brothers, censorship.....what a happy glad time it was...

yes , when the priests raped our children, women were seen as baby machines, our best emigrated, or died of TB, and it was illegal for a forigen manufacturer to open a factory here!...great days altoghter.
    Happily my children are growing up in more secular,multi-cultural,and confident society.
    You were born in the year in which Ireland was the ONLY country in world whose Prime Minister offered condolences to the german people on the death of Adolf Hitler, wow ..what a great national boast!

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Immigration is always an emotive topic and as such you will find folks who will use it as an avenue to promote their ideological stance on the subject. The problem however, is that a lot of them do not face or understand the facts- hence the amount of rubbish by some posters on this thread.

As I've explained in earlier posts, I'm not opposed to immigration.

I just think immigration needs to have limits, and we need to come to a consensus on what those limits should be.

For example, on one end of the spectrum we can be completely racist and opposed to all foreigners. On the other end we can allow our country to be completely free to anyone who can afford the plane ticket.

Neither of those are the best solution, there has to be some in-between.

Where that in-between lies is the thing we should be discussing

...yep, the good aul days of tenements, massive emmigration, stultifying conservatism, magdalene laundries, lads being used as slave labour by the christian brothers, censorship.....what a happy glad time it was...

yes, those were the days......

no dublin streets full of drug addicts, homeless, mugging etc.....different times of course......

no negative equity, low suicide rate........

my mother was an ubmarried mam in 1938, she never went anywhere, except out to the scullery to do our laundry.....

do, yopu honestly think everybody was going around holding the heads in despair.........if so...you are so wrong.....

• Advertisement

Eh, pretty much yeah <suspects being laid into a trap>

O no. I didn't lay a trap

........you did that yourself back here when you said
    It could be the fact that they don't look Irish,

in response to the question....
    Pherekydes wrote:
    The question I'd like answered, and I can't see if it was asked yet, would be how do you know these people in Camden St are not natives?

Now if I was American I'd be seriously p*ssed off at this.

I worry that if immigration is left completely unchecked, this scene could be played out in Croke Park in 30/40 years time. That would be a sad day indeed.

W4-LACM4VXo

I worry that if immigration is left completely unchecked, this scene could be played out in Croke Park in 30/40 years time. That would be a sad day indeed.

?v=PRBoI5jpnLc&feature=g-hist
    Wow what a grasp of computer skills!:D

no dublin streets full of drug addicts,.....

No, just alcoholics.
    homeless,,.....

Yeah, it was there.
    http://legionofmaryd7.com/mstar.htm
    mugging etc.....

Lower crime rate due to emmigration....
    no negative equity,

...because a lot of people had no fucking money and no way of getting a loan.
    low suicide rate........,,.....

...under-reporting due to stigma, high emmigration levels in the demographic most affected.

no dublin streets full of drug addicts, homeless, mugging etc.....different times of course......

no negative equity, low suicide rate........

my mother was an ubmarried mam in 1938, she never went anywhere, except out to the scullery to do our laundry.....

do, yopu honestly think everybody was going around holding the heads in despair.........if so...you are so wrong.....
    crime rates were actually higher for certaincrimes, suicide rates were not recorded because the paedophile church of Rome who held unelected power wouldn't allow a coroners verdict of suicide, there was no shortage of homeless people, much of the country was denied electricity, indoor sanitation and adequate education and medical care.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sfc501

Just be grateful you'll never have Islamics settling into your country.
    Sharia law is already creeping in to the UK consciences.
    It's only a matter of time the UK will be governed by them despite them hating us.

• Advertisement

sfc501 wrote: »
    Just be grateful you'll never have Islamics settling into your country.
    Sharia law is already creeping in to the UK consciences.
    It's only a matter of time the UK will be governed by them despite them hating us.

Islamics? Are they like the Muslamic infidels who want to bring in interracial law?

Islamics? Are they like the Muslamic infidels who want to bring in interracial law?
    Brilliant my friend, but I really wouldn't feed the trolls, easier to report them

You know Azteca stadium is in Mexico city.....?

O no. I didn't lay a trap

........you did that yourself back here when you said

in response to the question....

I don't quite get the trap that I'm supposed to be in. What does this mean (I'm slow)

• Advertisement

I don't quite get the trap that I'm supposed to be in. What does this mean (I'm slow)[/QUOTE]
    eh, your posts already showed that:D

Wow what a grasp of computer skills!:D

Haha, got it in the end, you lose! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Haha, got it in the end, you lose! :D
    I wouldn't be so sure about that.

I don't quite get the trap that I'm supposed to be in. What does this mean (I'm slow)

You effectively stated that you can't tell who is and is not irish by skin colour and appearance yet claimed this was the case earlier.

crime rates were actually higher for certaincrimes, suicide rates were not recorded because the paedophile church of Rome who held unelected power wouldn't allow a coroners verdict of suicide, there was no shortage of homeless people, much of the country was denied electricity, indoor sanitation and adequate education and medical care.

just like most of the world........

exactly how many families were destroyed by drugs......

did we all go around moaning, and holding our heads in despair.......

adherence to the catholic religion, was optional.....

i never went to prison for not doing so......

yes, i can say i went hungery..but i didn't starve.....
    i went cold, but i didn't freeze to death.....
    yes, i got sick.....and went to the adelaide hospital......free.
    yes, i had no new clothes.....but who, cared.....

and, yes i got beaten at school....but, who didn't.
    yes, i went to the pictures, maybe 3 or 4 times a week...who didn't.
    yes, i rushed home to hear programmes on the radio..who didnt.

yes, i trimmed the wicks on the oil lamps..
    yes, i played games in the street...
    yes, i went in one door of the church.....and straight out the other.(whitefriar street)

yes, i walked to sandymount....and ate raw cockles...
    yes, i swam in the canal, and drank the water...

any more you wish to know about a happy childhood....

You know Azteca stadium is in Mexico city.....?

Oops, you've actually got me there, hehe :o

I genuinely forgot about that, however the incident I'm talking about is this

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/26/sports/la-sp-0626-plaschke-gold-cup-20110626

just like most of the world........

exactly how many families were destroyed by drugs......

did we all go around moaning, and holding our heads in despair.......

adherence to the catholic religion, was optional.....

i never went to prison for not doing so......

yes, i can say i went hungery..but i didn't starve.....
    i went cold, but i didn't freeze to death.....
    yes, i got sick.....and went to the adelaide hospital......free.
    yes, i had no new clothes.....but who, cared.....

and, yes i got beaten at school....but, who didn't.
    yes, i went to the pictures, maybe 3 or 4 times a week...who didn't.
    yes, i rushed home to hear programmes on the radio..who didnt.

yes, i trimmed the wicks on the oil lamps..
    yes, i played games in the street...
    yes, i went in one door of the church.....and straight out the other.(whitefriar street)

yes, i walked to sandymount....and ate raw cockles...
    yes, i swam in the canal, and drank the water...

any more you wish to know about a happy childhood....
    My kids go to school and dont get beaten.They can read and watch movies without the paedophile church of Rome censoring them.
    if they rae sick they dont have to go to the only protestant hospital in Dublin to be treated.
    They arn't hungry,they are kept warm, they are not afraid of forigeners, if my 20 year old daughter gets pregnant she wont be criminalized and locked away, her child wont be legally, a bastard, if she gets married and has a job in the public service she wont have to be forces to leave to be a baby machine, everyone that I know in Ireland drinks water, but some use it to make a Latte!
    Your idyllic world never existed, but perhaps your bitterness stems from the fact the fact that mother Ireland deprived you of so much.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/26/sports/la-sp-0626-plaschke-gold-cup-20110626
    Did you even read the article?
    "We're not booing the country, we're booing the team," Sanchez said. "There is a big difference."
    It was truly strange but, in the end, it indeed worked, perhaps because there is pride in living in one of the only countries where it could work.

How many places are so diverse that it could fill football stadiums with folks whose roots are somewhere else? How many places offer such a freedom of speech that someone can display an American flag on their porch one day and cheer against the flag the next?

You effectively stated that you can't tell who is and is not irish by skin colour and appearance yet claimed this was the case earlier.

My God, kind of sick of coming back to this point, but let me try and be clear one last time:

- You can't (*) be 100% certain where somebody is from
    - You can make a reasonably accurate guess, depending on the circumstances. I gave the example of somone with black skin in Parnell Street being likely to come from Africa rather than, say, Leitrim.

Now, if that same person was standing in Times Square I'd would be more likely to be wrong.

Do you follow me (I think you do understand, but are trying to somehow make me say something racist so you can say "gotcha!")

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Obviously he was too busy being cold and hungry as a child in idyllic Ireland to learn to read at school between his beatings.

• Advertisement

And......?

Obviously he was too busy being cold and hungry as a child in idyllic Ireland to learn to read at school between his beatings.
    I think you'll find that was a different poster. ;)

My God, kind of sick of coming back to this point, but let me try and be clear one last time:

- You can be 100% certain where somebody is from
    - You can make a reasonably accurate guess, depending on the circumstances. I gave the example of somone with black skin in Parnell Street being likely to come from Africa rather than, say, Leitrim.

Now, if that same person was standing in Times Square I'd would be more likely to be wrong.

Do you follow me (I think you do understand, but are trying to somehow make me say something racist so you can say "gotcha!")
    Yeah, Phil Lynott so looked like he was from Leitrim, and Jason Sherlock is obviously from Cavan,noe Samantha Mumba is clearly from Sligo, Paul McGrath well he has a real Biffo face..etc,etc,.

- You can be 100% certain where somebody is from

....so on the balance of probabilities you'd say phill lynott wasn't Irish, and despite complaining about the number of foriegners here, you can't conceive in your mind that they could well be Irish citizens.

I think you'll find that was a different poster. ;)
    Me bad. Apologies:o

Sanchez told Plaschke: "We're not booing the country, we're booing the team. There is a big difference."

Is there really? The team represents the country. So if you disrespect one, you disrespect the other.

What reason could the team have given them to boo the national anthem?

If I didn't like a team, such as for example the Dutch team, I would never dream of booing their national anthem, because that would be a gross insult to the Dutch people and nation.

Sanchez told Plaschke: "We're not booing the country, we're booing the team. There is a big difference."

Is there really? The team represents the country. So if you disrespect one, you disrespect the other.

If I didn't like a team, such as for example the Dutch team, I would never dream of booing their national anthem, because that would be a gross insult to the Dutch people and nation.

Goes on all the time. The world still turns. If thats your argument against immigration, it does actually rate as one of the most pathetic thats been dragged up here.

My kids go to school and dont get beaten.They can read and watch movies without the paedophile church of Rome censoring them.
    if they rae sick they dont have to go to the only protestant hospital in Dublin to be treated.
    They arn't hungry,they are kept warm, they are not afraid of forigeners, if my 20 year old daughter gets pregnant she wont be criminalized and locked away, her child wont be legally, a bastard, if she gets married and has a job in the public service she wont have to be forces to leave to be a baby machine, everyone that I know in Ireland drinks water, but some use it to make a Latte!
    Your idyllic world never existed, but perhaps your bitterness stems from the fact the fact that mother Ireland deprived you of so much.

i see your lack of history dulls your perspective.......

i mother went to st kevins, the coombe, mercer street, holles street...all free...plus the dispensary in bride street....all free....

i went to the adelaide because it was next door.....fancy having a hospital on your doorstep......

idyllic.....??? is that what you read...i never wrote that.....

maybe you should read instead of guessing.......

maybe the truth hurts......

The person writing the article didn't seem to give a shit. Neither did the US fan s/he interviewed. In fact, the whole article seemed to be a bit of an endorsement for multiculturalism.

You really need to find better links to backup your arguments, because so far you've failed miserably.

• Advertisement

i mother went to st kevins, the coombe, mercer street, holles street...all free...plus the dispensary in bride street....all free....

i went to the adelaide because it was next door.....fancy having a hospital on your doorstep......

maybe the truth hurts......[/QUOTE]
    The truth dear boy is that Ireland pre EU was a catholic run , mono ethnic, xenophobic, poverty stricken hellhole.

Yeah, Phil Lynott so looked like he was from Leitrim, and Jason Sherlock is obviously from Cavan,noe Samantha Mumba is clearly from Sligo, Paul McGrath well he has a real Biffo face..etc,etc,.

Just edited my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

As I've explained in earlier posts, I'm not opposed to immigration.

I just think immigration needs to have limits, and we need to come to a consensus on what those limits should be.

For example, on one end of the spectrum we can be completely racist and opposed to all foreigners. On the other end we can allow our country to be completely free to anyone who can afford the plane ticket.

Neither of those are the best solution, there has to be some in-between.

Where that in-between lies is the thing we should be discussing

In all fairness, if you want to reduce immigration into Ireland, then you have to approach your local TD to convince the government to effectively sign off the EU freedom of movement directive. Although I am not quite sure how this would play out to be frank because these days there is so much emphasis on the symbiotic nature of the EU.

Another way will be to reduce the number of International students coming to study here- again something you can take up with the Universities and colleges in Ireland.

Because apart from those, the Department of Justice which runs the Immigration service in Ireland are doing a damn good job.

Goes on all the time. The world still turns. If thats your argument against immigration, it does actually rate as one of the most pathetic thats been dragged up here.

Well there's also the trivial point about domestic terrorism e.g. the 7/7 bombin and the drain that can put on a country's resources, but this is one of the things.

I'm not anti-immigration, I think immigration has changed Ireland in positive way, I just think now's the time when we should start thinking about taking away the punch bowl.

I kind of feel like the person who was warning about the property bubble back in 2005 if I'm being honest.

Time will tell if I'm correct, but let's look at how immigration has worked in other countries before we decide to continue further.

Should anyone who can afford the plane ticket over here simply be given an Irish passport?

maybe the truth hurts......[/QUOTE]
    The truth dear boy is that Ireland pre EU was a catholic run , mono ethnic, xenophobic, poverty stricken hellhole.

i forgot to say, i never noticed that the adelaide was a protestant hospital...

does that bother you....?????

i don't know how old you are.....but my advice is you should learn a bit more about the subject, before you post......

everybody in those days running around in despair.........that is hilarious......

they are only doing that now......are you too proud to admit that..????

Well there's also the trivial point about domestic terrorism e.g. the 7/7 bombin and the drain that can put on a country's resources, but this is one of the things.

You mean there'll be terrorism here if we let in the foriegners?????????? Dear god, I can't conceive of such horror...

Is there somebody making you type this nonsense, btw? If so you should contact www.They'remakingmedigahole.com - they're there to listen and help.

• Advertisement

i forgot to say, i never noticed that the adelaide was a protestant hospital...

does that bother you....?????

i don't know how old you are.....but my advice is you should learn a bit more about the subject, before you post......

everybody in those days running around in despair.........that is hilarious......

they are only doing that now......are you too proud to admit that..????
    A nonsensical, probably drunken post that says so little it is impossible to give it an detailed reply.
    As for knowing my subject I have a B.A. (Hons) in Social Policy does that count?

mod

Okay, WileyCoyote, and golden lane. Can we please get back on topic? Thanks.

/mod

mod

Okay, WileyCoyote, and golden lane. Can we please get back on topic? Thanks.

/mod
    My apologies to you and other posters. I let myself get dragged off topic.
    Probably best i leave it for tonight.

You mean there'll be terrorism here if we let in the foriegners?????????? Dear god, I can't conceive of such horror...

Is there somebody making you type this nonsense, btw? If so you should contact www.They'remakingmedigahole.com - they're there to listen and help.

Good lord, is there anybody reading what I'm actually saying????

I don't claim there'll be domestic terrorism if we let in foreigners. I'm saying immigration is good, but there are also downsides. If immigration is left unchecked, a real world example of a downside is something like what they have in the UK where young men are recruited into groups who then want to bomb the country they were born in.

OK, enough of this serious stuff for one night.

I'm off to "You laugh you lose" for some amusement :pac:

Good night.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement