Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

199 different nationalities now in Ireland

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Gotta say, I am not in favour of Romanians, this is not based on their religion or skin colour, just the fact they are here to beg and steal. See it all the time, not a shop without a fat Romanian outside begging or a night club with them outside distracting people with roses and glow sticks while their friends pick pocket, seen this with my own eyes one night, bouncer gave chance and ten fat Romanian women surround him punching kicking and scraping. All while their "husbands" sit in all day exercising their livers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

gallag wrote: »
    Gotta say, I am not in favour of Romanians, this is not based on their religion or skin colour, just the fact they are here to beg and steal. See it all the time, not a shop without a fat Romanian outside begging or a night club with them outside distracting people with roses and glow sticks while their friends pick pocket, seen this with my own eyes one night, bouncer gave chance and ten fat Romanian women surround him punching kicking and scraping. All while their "husbands" sit in all day exercising their livers.

And you know they were "Romanians" because......?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Any chance you're getting Romanians confused with Roma? Be careful with that, you might get your face smashed in if you ever go to Bucharest.

Why be snide? Yous know who I am talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Why tar a whole nation with your, for the want of a better word, racist and bigotted brush?

I'm not being snide. I'm highlighting the fact you can't even get the name of the people you're slagging off right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Any chance you're getting Romanians confused with Roma? Be careful with that, you might get your face smashed in if you ever go to Bucharest.
    A mind this > < narrow is never going to go on holidays to Bucharest.

Well, in Belfast they are called Romanians and they are not nice. We have lots of hard working poles etc but the "Romanians" as I in my very limited knowledge call them, but yet I am sure you know who I mean are undesirable and if it makes me a racist to not want my community overrun with beggars and theivs then so be it.

I get the felling some people will always excuse the inexcusable, just to appear liberal and pc, or fear of becoming what most in socitey hate i.e racist. if their was a nation of people who instead of shaking hands insisted on booting you in the nuts it's ok not to like them. Like wise if their is a demographic of people who live of benefits and crime it's ok not to like them. In my experience the people who hate these type the most are the poles, many have told me (taxi driver so I get to talk to a lot of people and see a lot of things) they had them in Poland and it is their culture to scam. I suppose the poles are scarred the stupid will associate them together, and I can see why a traditionally hard working race like the poles would be morality offended by them.

Their was only ever one Romanian I seen working and liked, nice guy, worked in a car wash, told me one day he would give me cash for any phones I find in my cab, I can't help form an opinion on the evidence before me, they are not nice and have thievery and begging engrained in their society.

Anyway, you learn something new every day and today I learned I am a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Well, in Belfast they are called Romanians and they are not nice. We have lots of hard working poles etc but the "Romanians" as I in my very limited knowledge call them, but yet I am sure you know who I mean are undesirable and if it makes me a racist to not want my community overrun with beggars and theivs then so be it.

Doesn't matter what they call them in Belfast, they're not Romanians. Would have thought Belfast being such a shining beacon of acceptance and inclusivity would have cleared that up for you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I get the felling some people will always excuse the inexcusable, just to appear liberal and pc, or fear of becoming what most in socitey hate i.e racist. if their was a nation of people who instead of shaking hands insisted on booting you in the nuts it's ok not to like them. Like wise if their is a demographic of people who live of benefits and crime it's ok not to like them. In my experience the people who hate these type the most are the poles, many have told me (taxi driver so I get to talk to a lot of people and see a lot of things) they had them in Poland and it is their culture to scam. I suppose the poles are scarred the stupid will associate them together, and I can see why a traditionally hard working race like the poles would be morality offended by them.

Their was only ever one Romanian I seen working and liked, nice guy, worked in a car wash, told me one day he would give me cash for any phones I find in my cab, I can't help form an opinion on the evidence before me, they are not nice and have thievery and begging engrained in their society.

I'd love to introduce you to my Romanian friend. She got glassed in the face by an Irish traveller some years back. And guess what, she doesn't hate travellers or any Irish.

As for liberal or pc, there's nothing pc about not discriminating against people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

The last line of that post is the only sensible part of it!

So it is racist not to want a people who have an inordinately high crime and begging percentage overrun your community while accepting all other races and creeds as a benefit to your society. Well good luck with that Ireland, sure aren't yous a grand we country.

So it is racist not to want a people who have an inordinately high crime and begging percentage overrun your community while accepting all other races and creeds as a benefit to your society. Well good luck with that Ireland, sure aren't yous a grand we country.

It's racist to tar an entire people and/or nation with the same brush, yup. However, you did mention you had a very limited knowledge ...

Is Ireland being overrun? Swamped? Are the floodgates a flapping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Because pre-emptive violence on innocent people is the way to deal with this lot right?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jun/18/belfast-romanians-moved-race-attacks
    The lord mayor, Naomi Long, who also paid a visit to the Romanian families, said the racist assaults was showing the city in a negative light across the world. She said if the 110 Romanians fled Northern Ireland, the racists would have won.

"It's easy for me in my position to say I want them to stay. I entirely understand that people who have been so traumatised would want to leave. I don't want these people to leave Belfast because of a small minority of people who have brought shame to this city by their actions," she said.

Belfast in intolerance shocker!

When are these thugs gonna grow up and learn some basic human qualities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

I haven't read this entire thread, but are people mistakenly confusing Romanian nationals with Roma Gypsies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Well, in Belfast they are called Romanians and they are not nice.

Belfast continues it's strong bid to become "worst city in the UK"

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmi10

I agree with this post. Check out this account of a series of assaults where Roma were the attackers.

I would prefer if government Ireland did not allow the movement of Romani into the country.

Roma have being behind many savage assaults and murders of people in Hungary and other neighbouring countries often resulting in murder such as the incident above.

I can see little to no benefit to their presence in Ireland.

So those that settle should be physically intimidated into leaving? By a mob?

Is it 1512 or 2012?

The English had a solution for "Gypsies" in the 16th century, Passing an Act with the intention to rid the country of all Gypsies by banning further immigration and requiring the Gypsies already living in England to leave or suffer confiscation of their goods, imprisonment, and execution as felons.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I haven't read this entire thread, but are people mistakenly confusing Romanian nationals with Roma Gypsies?

One is, yes.

jimmi10 wrote: »
    I agree with this post. Check out this account of a series of assaults where Roma were the attackers.

I would prefer if government Ireland did not allow the movement of Romani into the country.

Roma have being behind many savage assaults and murders of people in Hungary and other neighbouring countries often resulting in murder such as the incident above.

I can see little to no benefit to their presence in Ireland.

Are you forecasting rivers of blood again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmi10

MadsL wrote: »
    So those that settle should be physically intimidated into leaving? By a mob?

I think they should not be allowed to settle here in the first place. Out of every group of immigrants Roma are the only one not to bring a positive contribution. Other migrants are employed and studying etc. The day I see a Roma working I will eat my hat.
    Is it 1512 or 2012?

2012 last time I checked!
    The English had a solution for "Gypsies" in the 16th century, Passing an Act with the intention to rid the country of all Gypsies by banning further immigration and requiring the Gypsies already living in England to leave or suffer confiscation of their goods, imprisonment, and execution as felons.

I would agree with this.
    old hippy wrote: »
    Are you forecasting rivers of blood again?

No, I'm saying I wouldn't like to live in the same neighbourhood as Roma. I would not consider it safe after seeing the carry on they get up to in some Central and Eastern European countries. Some really bad stuff indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭MAR86

I'm Romanian, kind of heartbreaking to read all of this, but I suppose I'll have to live with it and get used to it.

Anyway, we (romanians) are now on boards.ie, we will soon be everywhere, you can't hide, you can't run, can't get rid of us:))) only messing!!

Interesting reading though on AH, feels good to see that there are people who understand the position of immigrants, be it poles, romanians, latvians, etc.

Good luck to ya all!!! Xoxo:))

Just want to be clear...I said

and you said.
    I would agree with this.

You are clear that you are agreeing with genocide, right.

Care to confirm that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bit harsh that, in fairness

I think they should not be allowed to settle here in the first place. Out of every group of immigrants Roma are the only one not to bring a positive contribution. Other migrants are employed and studying etc. The day I see a Roma working I will eat my hat.

2012 last time I checked!

I would agree with this.

No, I'm saying I wouldn't like to live in the same neighbourhood as Roma. I would not consider it safe after seeing the carry on they get up to in some Central and Eastern European countries. Some really bad stuff indeed.

I'd rather not live in the same neighbourhood as someone like you, who appears to be advocating the mass murder of a people you don't understand/disagree with.

Because pre-emptive violence on innocent people is the way to deal with this lot right?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jun/18/belfast-romanians-moved-race-attacks

Belfast in intolerance shocker!

When are these thugs gonna grow up and learn some basic human qualities?
    They do this themselves to get bigger better houses and compo. Talked to a neighbor of one of the "attacked" family's and they seen them do it themselves, the police were laughing that the window was smashed from the inside. Why are people trying to make this complicated, walk through Belfast and see them beg, at night watch them steal, ask the people that live near them.

They do this themselves to get bigger better houses and compo. Talked to a neighbor of one of the "attacked" family's and they seen them do it themselves, the police were laughing that the window was smashed from the inside. Why are people trying to make this complicated, walk through Belfast and see them beg, at night watch them steal, ask the people that live near them.

Yeah, why try and complicate good old fashioned discrimination? :mad:

Also, I apologise for confusing Romanians with Roma gypsies, I have not traveld to this area and do not claim to be any sort of expert, from they moved in and set to bin scavenging, stealing and begging they have been referred to as Romanians to me. Consider me educated on this matter and be sure I will try to educate equally confused people.

old hippy wrote: »

Yeah, why try and complicate good old fashioned discrimination? :mad:
    Is it discrimination to want a community of Roma gypsies removed from your community if in fact they are mostly begging, stealing and making themselves a nuisance? Is the pc brigade really against calling people out on their repulsive behaviour? Mabel you would be happy with them moving next door to you? Probably rather them breaking into your house (ask any of the Irish students that have lived in the holylands in Belfast in the last few years) than live near a big old racist like me.

• Advertisement

Another thing I see them do all the time (remember I am a cab driver) is bin rummaging, you may think poor buggers having to do that, but they don't just have a hoke, they actually empty the bin out and kick the rubbish about, while not the worst thing they do can you imagine going out to your street and every bin being emptyed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭marky1905

All the roma that were supposedly put out of Northern Ireland are still here, all got given council houses and had more kids. That so called attack was blown up by the local media who love nothing better than a racist/sectarian attack story, all that happened was argument on the street with some teenagers and a window got smashed (the romas probably smashed it themselves) and media made it out to look like there was crowds people running about with guns thrying to break down the door and kill them, loada hyped up nonesense as usual! the gypsies were never gonna leave a place that hands them everything! and if any did leave probably ended up in engerland, sure every **** does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Is it discrimination to want a community of Roma gypsies removed from your community if in fact they are mostly begging, stealing and making themselves a nuisance? Is the pc brigade really against calling people out on their repulsive behaviour? Mabel you would be happy with them moving next door to you? Probably rather them breaking into your house (ask any of the Irish students that have lived in the holylands in Belfast in the last few years) than live near a big old racist like me.

Ah, so now I know how this country stayed 'crime free' prior to the invasion of the Roma gypsies.

Please.
    Your language is discriminatory, your solutions are racist (proposing to remove whole communities), so if you look like a duck, walk like a duck etc.
    Perhaps you are "a big old racist", Donald.

9959 wrote: »

Ah, so now I know how this country stayed 'crime free' prior to the invasion of the Roma gypsies.

Please.
    Your language is discriminatory, your solutions are racist (proposing to remove whole communities), so if you look like a duck, walk like a duck etc.
    Ok then, I will be a racist, you can be a walkover and let people destroy your area. Just wondering, do you accept the Roma are a problem and if so what would your solution be? I am not proposing rounding them all up, I just think that they should not be encouraged to settle ie benefits, housing etc, Mabey serve public nuisance orders to stop the begging/pick pocketing etc. What I won't do is ignore it because I am scared that some pc douche will label me racist.

9959 wrote: »

Please.

Come on, he's a taxi driver, it's pretty much guaranteed he'll be a racist.

Yep, I am not going to lie to make my argument stronger, I can't say I have any polish friends for example, but I have never meet one that is anything but pleasant and the fact that they are, in general a hard working race makes me happy they are here, I do not judge people on the colour of their skin aether, I do not judge people on the way they worship god.

I see with my own eyes that Roma gypsies are a blight on my community. They have a culture of stealing and begging. From my last post I done a job from central station and out of the 3 people begging on the lisburn road all three were Roma gypsies. I see them emptying the bins on the street, I talk to the students that cannot leave their door or windows open even if they are in the house. I talk to the door men that put the rose sellers/thieves as their biggest problem. I have never been served by one of them in a shop or seen any of them in any form of employment.

Am I to ignore this so that I do not be label a racist? Can you be a racist for disliking one crime riddled culture?

Yep, I am not going to lie to make my argument stronger, I can't say I have any polish friends for example, but I have never meet one that is anything but pleasant and the fact that they are, in general a hard working race makes me happy they are here, I do not judge people on the colour of their skin aether, I do not judge people on the way they worship god.

I see with my own eyes that Roma gypsies are a blight on my community. They have a culture of stealing and begging. From my last post I done a job from central station and out of the 3 people begging on the lisburn road all three were Roma gypsies. I see them emptying the bins on the street, I talk to the students that cannot leave their door or windows open even if they are in the house. I talk to the door men that put the rose sellers/thieves as their biggest problem. I have never been served by one of them in a shop or seen any of them in any form of employment.

Am I to ignore this so that I do not be label a racist? Can you be a racist for disliking one crime riddled culture?

Your honesty is appreciated, really, you dislike all Roma and you're not afraid to admit it, that's fair enough and if that's how you feel you certainly should not shy away from it just so others might not think you a racist.

However, you have automatically decided that all Roma are thieves and beggars and as such you are a racist. I've never met a Roma myself that I didn't see either begging or trying to scam something out of the shop I work in. But I don't automatically assume they are all like that because of the actions of those I have observed.

Sorry to be a pain, but I don't believe that taxi drivers are more or less racist than say, accountants.
    True, you're more likely to hear the unsolicited views of a racist taxi driver - captive audience and all that - than you are to hear the views of a racist accountant.
    Racism is a poison, from whatever quarter.
    Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FastSam

I wonder how many different countries have an Irish national living there? Is there an Irish person in every country in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

FastSam wrote: »
    I wonder how many different countries have an Irish national living there? Is there an Irish person in every country in the world?

not in ireland......in 2020....

Yep, I am not going to lie to make my argument stronger....

..........Am I to ignore this so that I do not be label a racist? Can you be a racist for disliking one crime riddled culture?

It's certainly a racist view to believe that the culture of a particular ethnic group is 'crime ridden'.
    If you saw a member of the 'Roma Gypsy' community walking down the street minding his/her own business, would you notice?
    I suspect not.

I suppose I could say "every Roma gypsie I have seen" instead of "all Roma gypsies" but I believe it is widely accepted that their culture is to not work, and to beg and steal. Cultural stereotyping is ok if you say the germans are good engineers but if there is a negative connotation it's a no no. MLK himself said to judge people on the content of their character, and I judge the Roma community in Belfast to be a pretty bad lot.

I suppose I could say "every Roma gypsie I have seen" instead of "all Roma gypsies" but I believe it is widely accepted that their culture is to not work, and to beg and steal. Cultural stereotyping is ok if you say the germans are good engineers but if there is a negative connotation it's a no no. MLK himself said to judge people on the content of their character, and I judge the Roma community in Belfast to be a pretty bad lot.

When was the last time you heard of someone offering a Roma a regular job? Roma have massive unemployment rates.

Co-incidentally, my neighbour here is half-Roma on her mothers side, She has worked all her life since she finished her masters degree.

Your opening few words in the above post give me a tiny sliver of hope that you are moving away, however slowly, from the irrational world of racism.
    To say that the 'Germans are good engineers' is an anodyne generalisation.
    To say that all Germans, "display a ruthless Teutonic streak in their febrile quest for efficiency in order to conquer the world of engineering, hence their penchant for jackboots and swastikas", would be tantamount to racism.

I suspect what MLK meant was that you should judge a person on the content of his/her character, I doubt he meant that you should judge a person by the country, race, community or ethnic group from which they came.

:D

• Advertisement

Pretty sure that if any group moves anywhere and only makes a neusanse of themselves then they will be attacked. If a couple hundred Irish moved into a small community in Australia and literally begged and stole while calming benefits and housing, intimidating locals by standing in large groups, breaking into houses, pick pocketing etc you would blame that community for striking back? Is it just a coincidence that it is just the Roma crowd being picked on?

I know taring them all with the same brush is wrong, but ignoring that this lifestyle is a trite of their culture is also wrong. It would strike me as sad if people just accepted it for fear of being racist, or if people that did not have to live near them showed more sympathy for them than to the community's that reject them due to their own choices and behaviour.

Compared to the fine upstanding citizens of Belfast. Seriously, pointing fingers from your neck of the woods is a bit rich.

Compared to the fine upstanding citizens of Belfast. Seriously, pointing fingers from your neck of the woods is a bit rich.

I don't fully get your point, are you saying that because some of the knuckle dragging indigenous people commit crime we should accept all crime?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement