Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

199 different nationalities now in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Clareboy wrote: »
    Oh yes, the Irish have immigrated in the past but now they have to leave because the most of the jobs have been given to the non-Irish. We did not have that situation in the 80s or in the 50s.

That's rubbish. Got any facts and figures to back this up?

The reason people are emigrating is because the country was f*cked over by the banks. The economy is in the gutter and businesses are closing down wholesale - it's not that the foreigners came in and stole all the jobs.

You really have no notion of what's going on in this country at all. Honestly it's amazing that people can actually have so little concept of what's happening in their own country.

Plus you seemingly don't know the difference between immigration and emigration which is pretty funny and also hints at the level of brainpower that's going into these amazing insights into the state of the nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Oh yes, the Irish have immigrated in the past .......

Yes, and the problems caused by Corkonians not integrating have troubled us to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Floodgates implies there's no need for visas or the like in Ireland.

There is.

But EU citizens are free to travel. That's the whole EU idea thing there in operation.

I don't remember Africa joining the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I'm delighted anyway, given the vast amount of ****ing dimwits around the place widening the gene pool can only do us some good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Now that we have opened the flood gates to foreign immigrants, the Irish will have to emigrate to find jobs. Talk about a distorted labour market. We have have screwed up big time! I really pity the young Irish people of today as they will have to compete with all those non-Irish immigrants in an ever shrinking labour market. Talk about committing national economic suicide!

This is a tongue in cheek comment, right?

Anyway, I'm happy there's more immigrants, good to see a nice variety of people tbh.

Anyone who thinks we have a lot of immigrants though...........needs to get out more. We really don't.

This is a tongue in cheek comment, right?

Nope. He's not gone on the foreigners.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

We don't have a lot of immigrants but over the past decade it appears a lot more than previous decades. I can only recall two prior anyhow but if the most recent was a new standard, we might be seeing more types than say Cillian murphy looks for em Irish eyes are rare

Some diversity is essential but I'm the kinda guy who'd probably turn the tap off after a point even if only trickling. damn small basin, let's try and retain what we are first n foremost. Cheers

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Now that we have opened the flood gates to foreign immigrants, the Irish will have to emigrate to find jobs. Talk about a distorted labour market. We have have screwed up big time! I really pity the young Irish people of today as they will have to compete with all those non-Irish immigrants in an ever shrinking labour market. Talk about committing national economic suicide!

Thats one way to look at it. Or you could argue that the influx of more people leads to more taxes being raised and more money spent in the economy. Oh and its good for businesses because increased competition has meant better productivity.

If Irish can't compete for a job then I am glad they're leaving, if we want to get this country prosperous again we need all the deadwood gone. That includes those who think they're entitled to a job just because they're Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

jester77 wrote: »
    hmm, have we invented a few new countries?

out of date

I cant think of two nations not on that list who recently became independent - Kosovo and South Sudan. Palestine as well is recognised by most nations. Vatican and Taiwan as well arent rrepresented at the UN as well as a few other nations.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

We don't have a lot of immigrants but over the past decade it appears a lot more than previous decades. I can only recall two prior anyhow but if the most recent was a new standard, we might be seeing more types than say Cillian murphy looks for em Irish eyes are rare

Some diversity is essential but I'm the kinda guy who'd probably turn the tap off after a point even if only trickling. damn small basin, let's try and retain what we are first n foremost. Cheers
    Oh yes, the Irish have immigrated in the past but now they have to leave because the most of the jobs have been given to the non-Irish. We did not have that situation in the 80s or in the 50s.

Its funny how those opposed to diversification and foreigners usually can't even string a coherent sentence together. No wonder they're angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Now that we have opened the flood gates to foreign immigrants:
    Major exaggeration

the Irish will have to emigrate to find jobs. That will be a first. Hope we don't land in a country like Ireland where foreigners are not welcome.

!

you can't be fore real. I despair.

Higher wrote: »
    funny how those opposed to diversification and foreigners usually can't even string a coherent sentence together. No wonder they're angry.

so this is your response to my insisting some diversity is essential is it..

I'll cut you down to my size, and then some show a bit of humility you inferior degenerate. It's naive young guns like you who fess everything up, I'm not even old but fook.. me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

What would you consider essential to an Irish National Identity? What elements, or traits make someone Irish?
    (literally just wondering your opinion, as this question of identity is historically problematic, and not really an easy one to answer)

Does proximity to foriegners make you less Irish? Can you suddenly understand mandarin and develop a hankering for chickens feet, for instance...

would you consider essential to an Irish National Identity? What elements, or traits make someone Irish?
    (literally just wondering your opinion, as this question of identity is historically problematic, and not really an easy one to answer)

what, to look at? Brace yourself, then

A whiteness. and with Irish traits, is a plus tbh but are you aware of just how many dark eyed, skinned haired people there are out there? That's right... not only are Irish a serious minority, but whites n guess who is moving in with who eternally moreso

Life lesson. see the big picture, and beyond your own lifetime.

• Advertisement

The weird thing is I'm not even racist, just it occured to me when my view became more panoramic and with examples of such far going, going, gone nations all around but and I can see how that utter logic might appear utter bile to a squeamish kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Number 200 wins a FREE battered mars bar.

I don't remember Africa joining the EU.

And I don't remember anyone saying it had. Anyone outside the EU would require a visa.
    "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ASLYUM SEEKERS?"

Those seeking asylum are not allowed legally work in the country so can't be taking proper jobs away from people.

Sometimes I think I can submit to these threads in my sleep. Every time the same auld sh*te trotted out by people who don't know their arse from their elbow.

what, to look at? Brace yourself, then

A whiteness. and with Irish traits, is a plus tbh but are you aware of just how many dark eyed, skinned haired people there are out there? That's right... not only are Irish a serious minority, but whites n guess who is moving in with who eternally moreso

Life lesson. see the big picture, and beyond your own lifetime.

So you think you can't be Irish if you're not white???? :eek:

That's ludicrous. Absolutely hilariously mind-numbingly stupidly ludicrous. And I have several friends who are Irish through and through and are total proof that it's completely wrong.

As for Whites being under threat from other races?

My friend there's a certain group in the US of A that would welcome you with open arms. You might not think you're racist but all that Irish and Whites are a minority nonsense is straight out of the KKK handbook dude.

Dear oh dear.

The bigger picture?

People's skin colour might change? Holy ****! Call the cops!

Big f*cking deal. Who cares if there's some mixing of races going on. Skin colour is skin colour. It doesn't define who you are or what nationality you are. Sure it might hint at where you could be from but that's it.

Holy. ****.

I can't believe someone could say those things with a straight face.

Honestly - maybe you'd feel more comfortable over on Stormfront? Your 'logic' is what they subscribe to.

And I love the way you say how your 'logic' might appear to be bile to a squeamish kid, just to try and make out that anyone who calls you on your bullsh*t is an inexperienced kid. Well I've got news for you buddy - I'm calling you on your f*cking bullsh*t and I'm far from a kid. I've lived around the world, I've seen a lot of countries and as opposed to you, my view of the world broadening has led me to have a broader view not a "Oh **** - the darkies are coming! HELP!" view.

What a crock of sh*t.

Seriously.

You. Are. Talking. Complete. Horse. Sh*t.

And I look forward to a day when views like yours are laughed at openly.

F*cking nonsense of the highest order.

can't believe someone could say those things with a straight face.

fine, I can't believe someone would post this thing with a straight mind I said the bigger picture; don't be making it that much smaller ok - my only love interests seem to be noticably, distinctly immigrants anyhow so I have to discipline myself n not let it go to my head.

Look I was that young man, almost to the point of activism in wanting opening the floodgates to thwart all the 'racists' but you know in time, wisdom comes... and maybe even a sense of caring for your countries identity, beyond your own agendas pockets or lifetimes.

• Advertisement

fine, I can't believe someone would post this thing with a straight mind I said the bigge picture; don't be making it than much smaller ok - my only love interests seem to be noticably, distinctly immigrants anyhow so I have to discipline myself n not let it go to my head.

Look I was that young man, almost to the point of activism in wanting opening the floodgates to thwart all the 'racists' but you know in time, wisdom comes... and maybe even a sense of caring for your countries identity, beyond your own agendas pockets or lifetimes.

If you're defining Irish by "white skin", I'd say wisdom either passed you by or ran you over.

This has nothing to do with "opening the floodgates" which I think you'll find I've never advocated. I actually think that immigration should be controlled.

However you've gone far far beyond talking about the economic pros and cons of immigration.

What you're saying pretty much is:
    • Only white people are Irish
    • Race mixing is bad

That's classic racism. It just is.

What the hell could make you think that if someone has different skin colour to you they can't be Irish?

And don't imply I don't care about my country's identity. I just don't have a narrow bigoted view that because someone has a different amount of melanin in their skin they can't be Irish.

I actually think the people who founded this country would be f*cking disgusted at your views.

Nodin wrote: »
    If you're defining Irish by "white skin", I'd say wisdom either passed you by or ran you over.

not at all I'm defending the Aryan race; if people know me and they'll know all I ever wanted was a balance in this world. Beyond my own island, and beyond my own lifetime but i wouldnt go looking to enforce one...

just retain one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Slurryface wrote: »
    Good to see that in AH piss is now a compliment.:confused:
    Did someone say that? Because I for one can't see it...
    So jobs are just being "given" to foreign people despite all these Irish people longing for them. Nothing to do with the fact that they're low-paid, crappy condition jobs that Irish people would rather emigrate than do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The "pissing pot" one seems borderline to me but I don't see any racism in the other comments.

I hear Im a (borderline) racist now..fecking greeks.
    I meant we are getting pissed on by the economic situation we find ourselves in and I thought it was a rather typical AH joke.

not at all I'm defending the Aryan race; if people know me and they'll know all I ever wanted was a balance in this world. Beyond my own island, and beyond my own lifetime but i wouldnt go looking to enforce one...

just retain one.

Typing vague cryptic crap and actually saying something of merit are two very different things.

just retain one.

The Aryan race?

Oh dear lord.

So answer this question for me oh defender of the Aryan race:

Do you think race mixing is bad?
    Do you think a black person can be Irish?

Why am I being quoted insensitively, with the unsensible do i not make sense?!

any, IMO. n it's not an actual agenda or that, lads but we should probably be more conservative with the future in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The more the merrier, as long as I don't have to learn a new language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Some diversity is essential but I'm the kinda guy who'd probably turn the tap off after a point even if only trickling

Jesus, the poster isn't advocating a purge against every foreigner coming into the country. He's just airing (an unpopular) opinion that he's not into the whole vast melting pot idea.

I think threads like these are just posted so some overtly smug posters can have a song and dance of how modern and progressive they are to get a rise from posters who would be more conservative about this topic usually. Not everyone is of the same attitude toward immigration or 'race mixing' etc etc. I think it's been made quite clear in AH in the past.

• Advertisement

Why am I being quoted insensitively, with the unsensible do i not make sense?!

any, IMO. n it's not an actual agenda or that, lads but we should probably be more conservative with the future in mind.

Afraid to answer questions - talking pure nonsense - obvious that you don't have the ability to adequately defend the stupid position you've taken up.

Typical really.

You even can't answer the two straightforward questions from my last post can you?

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Jesus, the poster isn't advocating a purge against every foreigner coming into the country. He's just airing (an unpopular) opinion that he's not into the whole vast melting pot idea.

He's also said that only white people are Irish and that he's 'defending the aryan race'.

Not really that hard to see why people get annoyed when he starts saying things like that now is it?

Why is it I have to defend even my own opinion, you only want to get in on that too and depurify it do you see me traversing such borders?

Indicative, really..

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

just retain one.

I really don't want to jump on the band wagon here, I would just like to point out that since the 1550's a lot of Irish (not all) people are actually Brown skinned and Browned eyed, this is due to the Spanish Armada, (on the west coast) and due to pirates and trading with Spain and Portugal on the East Coast. Take a look at families from fishing villages and you can see this.

I have traced my family back to 1800 and I'm fully Irish, but I look like and have being confused for a Spainard, India and Arab. So I think you missed turning off that tap by about 500 years.

My own opinion is I welcome the diversity, and love socialise and experiencing the different cultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Do you think a black person can be Irish?

Of course they can, you need only look at our greatest ever footballer to see that.

Clinton Morrison, you absolute legend.

Why is it I have to defend even my own opinion, you only want to get in on that too and depurify it do you see me traversing such borders?

Indicative, really..

This is the fallback of someone who knows they're beaten in an argument.

"Why should I defend my beliefs?"

Well the thing is I'm not asking you to defend them. I just asked you two simple questions which your 'wisdom' should permit you to answer.

But you won't answer because you know what you really believe and you're afraid to say (or type it) out loud.

So tell me brother - do you think a black person can be Irish?

But I could defend it all day, and still you'll dumb it down

anyone who has gained citizenship, is Irish. And god help me if I ever witness my greatest fear, an Irish national in particular being subject to attacks or jibes I will intervene whilst remembering how I didn't want racism at home in the first place.

It's very hard to dumb an opinion like yours down even further.
    anyone who has gained citizenship, is Irish. And god help me if I ever witness my greatest fear, an Irish national in particular being subject to attacks or jibes I will intervene whilst remembering how I didn't want racism at home in the first place.

If you believe that then why did you say that whiteness is what makes someone Irish?

I know plenty of people who are not white who are Irish and they didn't even have to gain citizenship. They were born Irish and their parents were Irish. Dark skinned and Irish.

So basically what you said before you don't believe. You're just shooting your mouth off nonsensically and don't even have the logic to back up the rubbish you're spouting.

And what's all the 'defending the aryan race' nonsense about? Is that something you don't believe either and has just shot forth from your mouth like so much diarrhea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Aquila wrote: »
    199 different nationalities takin ar dole:mad::mad::mad:

:pac:

Who let you become a mod of languages? :P

• Advertisement

did you say that whiteness is what makes someone Irish?

what wrong with wanting to retain an islanders traits.. You think this is USA? France?? massive continents in emselves almost with no option but to be secular in having such influence on the world else geographical disposition? Get realistic with this, please.

:pac:

In the last 12 months, off the top of my head, I can think of three racially motivated attacks in Dublin alone that left four migrants dead. The two Polish guys stabbed outside the house in Dublin, the Polish guy murdered on his way to work in the fish factory, and the Nigerian cab driver attacked about 8 or 9 months ago. Racism is alive and well here like every other state in the world!

Get realistic with this, please.

I am realistic. You're the guy with his head in the clouds nattering on about 'defending the aryan race'. You didn't say defending the Irish now you said you were defending the aryan race.

That choice of words speaks volumes about the attitudes you hold and the underlying beliefs I'd say.

Anyway - I'm off out. I look forward to reading your attempts at replies later on. Be sure to clumsily use lots of big words as you've been doing. I know you think it adds weight to your argument and makes you look intelligent but it just makes me chuckle, it's like a baboon trying to use a typewriter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

El Weirdo wrote: »
    They really aren't racist comments.

And there my friend is the problem, too many people are to willing to jump on a comment and play the racism card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Yep it's the non nationals' fault. Not the banks', property speculators', and governments' fault, it's the fault of the likes of Ibrahim who works in Spar for minimum wage.

• Advertisement

Yes, and the problems caused by Corkonians not integrating have troubled us to this day.

I think you'll find it's everyone else who has failed. Don't even stock Tanora FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

dey tuk r jobz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I'll just say one thing...Your not Irish unless your grandparents are Irish..A piece of paper received at a event in Cork or Dublin to mark you being part of "the new Irish" does not count. That is my personal opinion.. and i am entitled to that, you do not have to agree...that's why it's called my opinion :)

I'd say more but i like AH and don't want a ban :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I'll just say one thing...Your not Irish unless your grandparents are Irish..A piece of paper received at a event in Cork or Dublin to mark you being part of "the new Irish" does not count. That is my personal opinion.. and i am entitled to that, you do not have to agree...that's why it's called my opinion :)

I'd say more but i like AH and don't want a ban :pac:

Its your opinion, but it is legally wrong and that is what is called a FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Lol, I agree.

Also the poster forgot to specify that this "whiteness" that he so loves and protects is actually...a little bit more like a be-freckled, pasty, beefy in the sun and white and wobbly in the winter marshmallow with bad dress sense and a tendency to talk A) through one's nose, B) with marbles in their cheeks or C)like they just swallowed a pat of cow sh1te :o

Us beautiful, white Irish with our surreal, magical er...whiteness... :/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement