Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

199 different nationalities now in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

jugger0 wrote: »
    If you have a degree and no criminal record and in good health(no contagious diseases)

So that English lad who used to work on the sites and now works in my local chipper? GONE.
    That Aussie girl on her gap year before college who's behind the bar in the Woolshed? GONE.
    The old recently widowed American man who spent some time in prison in the 1960's for protesting the Vietnam war? GONE.
    The healthy African guy with no criminal record who drives a taxi? GONE.
    The German dude who works for Google but only has a diploma? GONE.
    The Mexican Professor who lectures in a university but caught hepatitis from a blood transfusion? GONE.

Great idea dude. That's really well thought out.

Why don't you write to your local TD and propose that idea. I'm sure they could do with a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    So that English lad who used to work on the sites and now works in my local chipper? GONE.
    That Aussie girl on her gap year before college who's behind the bar in the Woolshed? GONE.
    The old recently widowed American man who spent some time in prison in the 1960's for protesting the Vietnam war? GONE.
    The Mexican Professor who lectures in a university but caught hepatitis from a blood transfusion? GONE.

Why don't you write to your local TD and propose that idea. I'm sure they could do with a good laugh.

Americans,Australians and Europeans share similar cultures, Africans and middle eastern people do not... moving them over here in droves will end in ghettos and non integration.

Nodin wrote: »
    ......there were actually more immigrants in the 50's and 60's than there is now, so no, it won't "keep increasing".

From outside Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Clareboy wrote: »
    During the period from the late 1920s until the 1990s, here in my own county we build the then largest power station in the world... all with our own Irish labour.

Not much use without boilers, all designed and built by Americans.

http://www.esb.ie/main/about-esb/powerstations/moneypoint/technicaldata/technicaldata.jsp?sValue=boilers&submit=submit&go=Go

Or electrical generators which were assembled and constructed in Switzerland.

Or Steam turbines designed by a Swedish/Swiss company.

Or Controls designed by Siemens Teleperm, a German company.

Or Induced Draught fans each designed by Westinghouse Electric Corporation, an American corporation.

Or two 40 ton ship unloaders, designed by PWH (Germany)

Or Transformers designed by ASEA Lepper(Germany)

Will I go on?

Americans,Australians and Europeans share similar cultures, Africans and middle eastern people do not... moving them over here in droves will end in ghettos and non integration.

Oh so it's just non Westerners you don't want then? Oh ok.

You didn't detail that in your plan.

That's even better. Good luck with it.

I look forward to seeing it in operation. Since you've thought it out so well I'm sure there'll be no trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Quirk_Douglas

You really come across as an arrogant, smarmy little man. You should probably just do as the mod advised and shut your trap. This is getting you nowhere apart from being namechecked in people's minds as someone to avoid in threads in future.

When he writes to his local TD that those people should be 'GONE' as you put it, won't you please pack up your bags and hit the road as well? I'd say you'd integrate well in Lagos or somewhere. Then you wouldn't have to pain yourself looking at us Irish everyday. I'm sure there's a position for an incompetent employee who's apparently at work but spends all his time spouting nonsense on an internet forum. Maybe from Lagos you could get involved in those spam emails, send them en masse to all of our email addresses and try to swindle us out of money, as recompense for getting you deported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Africans and middle eastern people do not... moving them over here in droves will end in ghettos and non integration.
    Unless of course we make a point of integration.
    Then it's all good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Gurgle wrote: »
    Unless of course we make a point of integration.
    Then it's all good :)

Remind me again about the place of Kebabs in Irish culture...ah yes. Essential post pissup food.

Tekken aur curry chips, oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 unimpressed

:eek: did not even realise their were over 200 different nationalities :confused: learn something new every day.
    Guess this would be a good time to start a live tournament of RISK THE BOARD GAME. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 unimpressed

Well there's more immigrants in Europe now then ever before, this will keep increasing.
    Of course it will when your country is being blown out of existence where you you go:( somewhere safe like MAYBE THE COUNTRY WITH FOOD WATER AND NO BOMBS TO KILL YOUR KIDS ?

You should probably just do as the mod advised and shut your trap.

Link to any place a Mod ever said that to me please?
    This is getting you nowhere apart from being namechecked in people's minds as someone to avoid in threads in future.

Is that a promise that you're going to avoid me? :)
    When he writes to his local TD that those people should be 'GONE' as you put it, won't you please pack up your bags and hit the road as well?

Why? I'm Irish. As pale as can be. I love stew and Guinness.

I'm just your type!
    I'm sure there's a position for an incompetent employee who's apparently at work but spends all his time spouting nonsense on an internet forum.

Well I've already completed three projects today so I don't think incompetent applies to me at all. But feel free to come over and examine my work when I'm done later tonight and you'll see for yourself how good I am at what I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

During the period from the late 1920s until the 1990s, here in my own county we build the then largest power station in the world.

Eh, no you didn't.
    What power station in Ireland is the largest power station in the world!?
    We've nothing even remotely approaching largest in the world status.

I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything but your statement is just not factually accurate at all.

If you're referring to Ardnacrusha Hydro plant it is quite small by international standards (85MW vs say China's Three Gorges Dam which produces 22,500 MW Ireland's total generation capacity is only 4700MW!).
    It was an interesting project and quite ground breaking in its day. However, it was entirely built by Siemens using imported German technology and engineering expertise. Almost every high-skilled person on the site was German. There were no such skills available in Ireland at the time. In fact, it was one of the first projects to be delivered by a major engineering contractor as a 'turn-key' operation i.e. it was handed over to ESB ready to roll.

It did employ a lot of local labourers, and did result in a lot of knowledge transfer, but it just serves to underline the importance of free-flow of migrant workers rather than argue against them!

If it hadn't been for the hundreds of Germans who came here to build that plant, we could not have done it. We did not have that kind of technology.

It was ground breaking in terms of the way the Free State (as it was then) Government went with a massive infrastructural project like that. It's a shame that the momentum was lost almost immediately after it was complete. We didn't really do any ground-breaking infrastructural stuff for decades after that, probably nothing on that scale until at least the 1990s where some of the roads projects would have been similar scale civil engineering jobs.

More info here : http://www.siemens.ie/content/aboutus/shannonscheme.asp

Siemens were keen to get platform to demonstrate their technology to a global audience and the Irish Government got a good deal on it. You have to remember that at the time Germany had a lot of technology, but not many countries (with money) were willing to do business with them after WWI. There would have also been a lot of 'national champions' in the industrial countries like the UK, France, US etc, so there's no way in hell they'd have imported German gear in those days as they all saw each other as commercial enemies. The concept of global trade wasn't quite the same as it is now.

Ireland had no major heavy industrial engineering sector to protect so it was an ideal place for Siemens to sell to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

easy way to fix this...serve a notice of 3 months to those that are scabbing off benefits sitting around on the dole to find work and pay tax...if not bye bye get out of here and ban them for life !!!!!!!!!! no use to this country what so ever..its funny how the vast majority of them are driving nice cars and have never worked a day since they got here :rolleyes:

It's funny how people believe this sh1t and repeat it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

New Year's Eve.

It's a dude from Papau New Guinea and he's getting a free car, a free job, a free house, a free wife. And he's getting to p*ss on the Book of Kells and take a dump on a first edition copy of Ulysses.

It's gonna be quite the party.

Don't forget. He's going to get a new pram every week too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jfallon

Hey AnonoBoy! I'm thinking of heading over to Kenya for a while to hang out with the Maasai people, so tell me, how long will I have to stay there to become one of the 'new Maasai'? I mean, just because I'm white Irish doesn't mean I can't join a Maasai tribe right?

• Advertisement

jfallon wrote: »
    Hey AnonoBoy! I'm thinking of heading over to Kenya for a while to hang out with the Maasai people, so tell me, how long will I have to stay there to become one of the 'new Maasai'? I mean, just because I'm white Irish doesn't mean I can't join a Maasai tribe right?

Yeah cause that's what I'm talking about alright.

But here - knock yourself out:

How to get a Kenyan passport:
    http://www.immigration.go.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=42&Itemid=107

You will notice the difference between becoming a member of the Massai and becoming a Kenyan citizen I'm sure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You're comparing Ireland, a country with a constitution that states nobody should be treated unfairly due to their race/colour/gender etc. to a Kenyan tribe?
    But then again with arrogant people like yourself here..

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Why can people never have a rational informed debate on this issue?

Just to point out, for everyone commenting on the ridiculousness of some of the ignorant comments about freeloaders and 'dey tuk x, y or z' there's equally a large number of people who jump to conclusions about posts and opinions and insinuate that 'dat deyr must be racist'.

Probably the reason why the same few names are commenting on this thread, and what should be a recognised and debated issue, is largely ignored on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

From outside Europe?

Yes, from outside Europe. How and when did you think all the West Indians, Indians and rest arrived in Britain, Algerians in France, Turks in Germany....?

Would those be Afro-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Persian-Americans, Puerto-Rican Americans, Cuban-Americans, Chinese-Americans, Japanese Americans, native-Americans, Lebanese-Australians, Chinese-Australians, Vietnamese-Australians, Indonesian-Australians, Aboriginal-Australians.....

• Advertisement

Would those be Afro-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Persian-Americans, Puerto-Rican Americans, Cuban-Americans, Chinese-Americans, Japanese Americans, native-Americans, Lebanese-Australians, Chinese-Australians, Vietnamese-Australians, Indonesian-Australians, Aboriginal-Australians.....

No silly. Just the white ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You really come across as an arrogant, smarmy little man. You should probably just do as the mod advised and shut your trap. This is getting you nowhere apart from being namechecked in people's minds as someone to avoid in threads in future.

When he writes to his local TD that those people should be 'GONE' as you put it, won't you please pack up your bags and hit the road as well? I'd say you'd integrate well in Lagos or somewhere. Then you wouldn't have to pain yourself looking at us Irish everyday. I'm sure there's a position for an incompetent employee who's apparently at work but spends all his time spouting nonsense on an internet forum. Maybe from Lagos you could get involved in those spam emails, send them en masse to all of our email addresses and try to swindle us out of money, as recompense for getting you deported.

And that's enough of that after the mod warning, don't post on this thread again.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yeah cause that's what I'm talking about alright.

But here - knock yourself out:

How to get a Kenyan passport:
    http://www.immigration.go.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=42&Itemid=107

You will notice the difference between becoming a member of the Massai and becoming a Kenyan citizen I'm sure.

Excellent! That's even easier than getting an Irish passport, I'm off to join my Maasai brothers.
    Isn't multi-culturalism great!, makes me wonder why all those Tibetans are giving out about mass migration into their region.. Damn bigots should have respect for the 'new Tibetans'

diddley wrote: »
    Why can people never have a rational informed debate on this issue?

Forget about it...... It's After Hours.

Politics and Humanities are more suited to rational debates. Here it's wild accusations, unverified facts and downright silliness.

And fun it is too.

Excellent! That's even easier than getting an Irish passport, I'm off to join my Maasai brothers.
    Isn't multi-culturalism great!, makes me wonder why all those Tibetans are giving out about mass migration into their region.. Damn bigots should have respect for the 'new Tibetans'

A rather fallacious and somewhat offensive comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I think I will go Nigeria and claim off the welfare system.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    You're comparing Ireland, a country with a constitution that states nobody should be treated unfairly due to their race/colour/gender etc. to a Kenyan tribe?
    But then again with arrogant people like yourself here..

No arrogance here, was genuinely an honest question! I've always admired the Maasai from a far, heck, i'm almost tall enough.. I'm sure they'll accept me with open arms!:)

That's interesting to note that our constitution mentions both race and colour. Are fore fathers were more enlightened than I thought!

What an excellent point. Very well made.

I'll be sure to subscribe to your newsletter.

Yes, from outside Europe. How and when did you think all the West Indians, Indians and rest arrived in Britain, Algerians in France, Turks in Germany....?

I know about the former colonies, but the majority of European countries would have been homogeneous no?

A rather fallacious and somewhat offensive comparison.

How So?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

still laughing at this video of a thirty something Nigerian claiming to be only 15. the joke is he made it into the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuAtscuyy8

Of course it will when your country is being blown out of existence where you you go:( somewhere safe like MAYBE THE COUNTRY WITH FOOD WATER AND NO BOMBS TO KILL YOUR KIDS ?

Am i a bad person for not caring?

Am i a bad person for not caring?

To be honest you're a rather amazing person for understanding what that post was about. :confused:

I know about the former colonies, but the majority of European countries would have been homogeneous no?

...not sure what thats meant to mean. The British paid people to come over from the colonies and similar schemes were enacted in other European countries. Most of Western Europe had colonies.

As for being "homogeneous" - I'd suggest taking a quick look at the history of Europe, with regards to Arab rule, the Ottomans etc. Go East and theres a very strong asiatic influence.

How So?

Its a country occupied by another, with a foriegn government ruling it. You're comparing that to immigration and free movement within Europe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I think I will go Nigeria and claim off the welfare system.
    Last time I checked you can't just walk into a country to claim the dole
    I know you can in the EU and that it is abused but people on this forum doesn't seem to have a problem as long as they're white

People move aroumd the world, some people are just gonna have to accept that. Can we tell everyone in America and Australia to come yeah guys? They weren't there 500 years ago, why are they there now? And while we're at it, let's all go back to Garden of Eden

Fuinseog wrote: »
    still laughing .......

I'm sure you are. You anything to add about the topic or are you just throwing out random digs at whatever group comes to mind?

Its a country occupied by another, with a foriegn government ruling it. You're comparing that to immigration and free movement within Europe.

Hold on a second Nodin, the guys who run my local takeaway told me it's part of China! Are you trying to imply that Metel Tru and No Lyi are dishonest? Despicable! Besides, there are no negatives to Immigration, The Tibetans will just have to get used to it I suppose!

Hold on a second Nodin, the guys who run my local takeaway told me it's part of China! Are you trying to imply that Metel Tru and No Lyi are dishonest? Despicable! Besides, there are no negatives to Immigration, The Tibetans will just have to get used to it I suppose!

So you've nothing to refute what I've said whatsoever then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

The only people in this country in support of the immigrants and the ' new diversity'. are the typical middle-class, middle-aged, middle of the road, bleeding heart do-gooders. They are almost always cosetted in some nice cushy pensionable public service or semi-state job. They or their offspring will never have to compete with the immigrants for a job, a school place or a hospital bed.

typical middle-class, .

Nope.
    middle-aged,
    Guilty
    middle of the road, .

Nope.
    . They are almost always cosetted in some nice cushy pensionable public service or semi-state job. .

Nope.

Any other stupid generalisations you want to fire out there...?

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

I'm just concerned its naive youth who can't see beyond this minute, let alone their own pockets or lifetime

Ireland is unique, and in economically becoming part of Europe we have to become ethnically european as well it seems... we'll probably end up more eastern European if anything and thats not really ideal, didn't even factor in any 'dark' people there not when the ugly white couple pushing a pram in matching adidas tops are not actually irish.

I'm just concerned its naive youth who can't see beyond this minute, let alone their own pockets or lifetime

Ireland is unique, and in economically becoming part of Europe we have to become ethnically european as well it seems... we'll probably end up more eastern European if anything and thats not really ideal, didn't even factor in any 'dark' people there not when the ugly white couple pushing a pram in matching adidas tops are not actually irish.

That makes no sense. We are European for starters.

Were not european, Im telling you that now. Were about as European as turkey, and that's how we'll end up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This is good, our gene pool is too small and as a result genetic diseases like cystic fibrosis and huntingtons are more common here than most other countries. We need some foreigners to mix it up a bit. Do your bit and ride a non-irish national today!

• Advertisement

Were not european, Im telling you that now. Were about as European as turkey, and that's how we'll end up

Time for you to inform the world then.
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ei.html

If you want that kid of secular mish mash, or tinderbox for an island way out west with more in common with Iceland then keep it up.

If you want that kid of secular mish mash, or tinderbox for an island way out west with more in common with Iceland then keep it up.
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ic.html

Yep, they're in Europe too.

they're in Europe too.

of course they are 'in europe', lol far from it tbh but they know what not to bend over to

Tell us Wee Willy Harris more about your plans to defend the Aryan race.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement