Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

199 different nationalities now in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

but irish kids have the exact same chance of getting those min wage jobs, they choose not to take them cos they are too good to working in said min wage jobs.

Ah well that's grand so just leave it as it is.

If these jobs were available it wouldn't take to much effort from welfare to force young people to take them up, the problem is they are not available because 100k non EE nationals are filling them.

And whislt this is all dandy for our government to say on the international stage ''ain't we a grand little country'' It does not help a 22 year old looking for work in the country he was born and bread in.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    While this was true a few years back I've noted a considerable rise in Irish people working in the jobs that were once occupied solely by immigrants.

I was served by an Irish girl in the Spar near Leeson Park this morning. Likewise an Irish woman served me in that Italian coffee place in Ranelagh yesterday.

I do see changes around the city in the past year or so. I am not advocating mass deportation of non EE nationals, but what I am saying is stop issuing work permits for minimum wage jobs until we sort out the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

not yet wrote: »
    What utter sh1te......

That's all your doing, and feigning sympathy for "the poor wee Irish kids" while you're at it.

Guess what, life isn't fair and you have to compete with other people for things you want. You have no innate right to a job simply because of where you were, as you put it "born and bread".

Don't like it? Then English group Black Box Recorder have some very pertinent advice for you in their 1998 single "Child Psychology"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I do see changes around the city in the past year or so. I am not advocating mass deportation of non EE nationals, but what I am saying is stop issuing work permits for minimum wage jobs until we sort out the economy.

You'll probably be surprised to learn that I'm quite in favour of our immigration policies being tightened up somewhat. It's just that there are a lot of people who use that argument to further a more unpleasant agenda too (not saying that you yourself are doing this).

However I'm not overally familiar with the visa situations for people outside the EU. I know some people who have received them and they have specified that they can only work in a certain sector but is that a normal thing? Do people get visas that limit them to working in the service industry say?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You'll probably be surprised to learn that I'm quite in favour of our immigration policies being tightened up somewhat. It's just that there are a lot of people who use that argument to further a more unpleasant agenda too (not saying that you yourself are doing this).

However I'm not overally familiar with the visa situations for people outside the EU. I know some people who have received them and they have specified that they can only work in a certain sector but is that a normal thing - do people get visas that limit them to working in the service industry say?

I'm not sure how visas work. Why can't we have a system along the lines of Sweden or Oz where they post jobs on a site and non nationals can apply for them, when these jobs are no longer available they close the process until there are more jobs, surely that cannot be seen as anything other then fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I'm not sure how visas work. Why can't we have a system along the lines of Sweden or Oz where they post jobs on a site and non nationals can apply for them, when these jobs are no longer available they close the process until there are more jobs, surely that cannot be seen as anything other then fair.

if the visa is tied to one particular job the employer has the person over a barrel and can exploit them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

No, I rather use some other media such as the Lefty whooly gazette

So you agree that the Indo & TV3 are not exactly credible sources, or don't have an axe to grind?

old hippy wrote: »
    So you agree that the Indo & TV3 are not exactly credible sources, or don't have an axe to grind?

correct.

correct.

Then why quote them as if they are?

Then why quote them as if they are?

Just picked it out of the sky, and the fact it suited my racist agenda was bonus.

• Advertisement

Just picked it out of the sky, and the fact it suited my racist agenda was bonus.

I see. Your argument is now reduced to playing the hard done by martyr. Well done.

I see. Your argument is now reduced to playing the hard done by martyr. Well done.

You got me....

I bow to your arguement on all on all points.

You got me....

I bow to your arguement on all on all points.

Magnificent stuff. Let's try a different approach, shall we? Wipe away those crocodile tears about folk on the dole and tell us how Centra will employ all good, honest Irish people to replace your much maligned Indians, then? Should they be changing their employment criteria, do you think?

Magnificent stuff. Let's try a different approach, shall we? Wipe away those crocodile tears about folk on the dole and tell us how Centra will employ all good, honest Irish people to replace your much maligned Indians, then? Should they be changing their employment criteria, do you think?

I have no interest in continuing to massage your smug ego any further.

You believe we should have an open door employment policy I believe we should restrict it to jobs available after we have exhusted or indigenous population.

You believe we should have an open door employment policy I believe we should restrict it to jobs available after we have exhusted or indigenous population.

At last, the mask slips. Why didn't you just come out and admit it - you're part of the "keep Ireland white" brigade, aren't you?

Well, I have news for you. Ireland is changing and there's going to be more and more people coming and becoming part of it, with all their good points and bad, as well.

You can't fight the future, there will always be unemployment. If it wasn't newcomers to Ireland, you'd have a bee in your bonnet about another social grouping. I've seen your sort a million times, desperately flailing about in order to justify their "point".

If being happy to live and work in a diverse city with many positive influences and different approaches to life means smugness, then yeah - I'm as smug as hell. Wouldn't have met the missus if people like you had their way.

Which you never, ever will...btw :D

At last, the mask slips. Why didn't you just come out and admit it - you're part of the "keep Ireland white" brigade, aren't you?

Well, I have news for you. Ireland is changing and there's going to be more and more people coming and becoming part of it, with all their good points and bad, as well.

You can't fight the future, there will always be unemployment. If it wasn't newcomers to Ireland, you'd have a bee in your bonnet about another social grouping. I've seen your sort a million times, desperately flailing about in order to justify their "point".

If being happy to live and work in a diverse city with many positive influences and different approaches to life means smugness, then yeah - I'm as smug as hell. Wouldn't have met the missus if people like you had their way.

Which you never, ever will...btw :D

Yeah tell me what I am why don't you.

You do not have the first clue about ''what I want'' but as usual people like you like to tell people like me what to think..bye now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

That's not how it works in Oz at all. Australia gives out around 140k residence visas per annum, and then also the working holiday visas, employer sponsored visas etc.

You need to read up a hell of a lot more on a huge amount of things, it would seem.

Yeah tell me what I am why don't you.

You do not have the first clue about ''what I want'' but as usual people like you like to tell people like me what to think..bye now.

Bobbins. I suggest you take a long hard look at what you've been posting on this thread, telling me and others what we are and what we're in favour of.

"People like me" indeed :rolleyes:

What does it matter to you who's on the dole? You'd still have a problem with claimants, wouldn't you, regardless of their origins, I suspect.

As I said, you can cling onto notions of "indigenous" Irish all you want but you cannot prevent the ebb and flow of humanity and change in a country's make up.

Thankfully, I hasten to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

if everywhere shipped OUR immigrants home at the same time, there would be a lot more people on the dole, don't you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I fear the racist piffle on this thread may have already 'exhausted our indigenous population'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

if everywhere shipped OUR immigrants home at the same time, there would be a lot more people on the dole, don't you think?
    3 million with automatic citizenship
    This includes Irish citizens who have emigrated abroad and their children, who are Irish citizens by descent under Irish law. It also includes their grandchildren in cases where they were registered as Irish citizens in the Foreign Births Register

Up to 80 million who could probably get themselves a passport, though it would take some considerable red tape and jumping through hoops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

My oh my we are looking trough rose tinted classes....

I have not gone into a Garage,centra,cafe, or hotel in the past 4 years without being served by a Non national Indian or otherwise.

Now if you feel it's ok to bring 10s of thousands of non EE nationals in to fill minium wage jobs while 10s of thousands of Irish kids waste away on the dole so be it. I don't.

You've no idea what jobs or otherwise they're here for, how long, or anything else, which renders your nonsense null and void...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭globalwarrior

I'm white, middle class and these days middle of the road (that wasn’t always the case). I left Ireland years ago, not because I was unemployed, in fact I left a high paying “safe” job behind, because I could not stand the narrow minded, prejudice xenophobic views … I could not stand their ‘fear of all things different’, furthermore I was cautioned against leaving and going out there into the big bad world… Nonetheless, I have never looked back!

Reading this thread I am delighted to see that (for the most part) these old attitudes belong to a dying breed.
    It would seem that the Irish of today are more educated, thus embracing diversity and opening their hearts to the world :)

In fact, it might be time to move home and compete ... for that job!

...this thread is the first time we've seen Indians dragged into things though. Normally its the Africans.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...this thread is the first time we've seen Indians dragged into things though. Normally its the Africans.

It used to be Polish people, perhaps in the eyes of the 'ourselves alone' brigade, their dominant religion and skin colour gives them a free pass.
    Anyway, there's a long list of 199 countries, plenty for them to get their teeth into.

• Advertisement

9959 wrote: »
    It used to be Polish people...
    That was back in the boom, when "we" were more worried about swans than jobs.

Gurgle wrote: »
    That was back in the boom, when "we" were more worried about swans than jobs.

Was that White Swans or Black Swans?
    I suspect the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

With that may foreigners in Ireland and they'll integrate, you'll soon be as diversified as the English!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

Higher wrote: »
    Very strange way of looking at it considering the vast majority pay taxes. Evidence???

The budgets should be adjusted according to the increased influx of tax money. Where are u living? not here
    By the way, it is not in the interest of our economy to fire foreign people who were hired on the basis of being the best candidate for the job in order to hire an Irish worker who is less competent.
    So why blame Irish people for signing on and being lazy
    As I repeatedly say, competition is the best thing for our economy. If you can't deal with that then go to Australia,..:mad: I don't have any money for the fare and too old for a visa
    but don't try to blame hard working immigrants who get the job on the basis of being better qualified. ;) Oh u mean all does highly qualified taxi drivers and spar workers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I wonder how many posters have been to India,if you did you would be amazed at the shut conditions they have to endure just to survive each day.
    India has a population close on 1 billion,the ones who get here think nothing of working in a spar for 60 hrs a week because they know the reality of life in India,you do not see many of them in the dole que nor do you hear about them causing trouble,the vast majority work and live an honest life here this is what we need not some free loaders.
    It's actually unreal people complaining about working Indians or Pakistanis or Chinese where we should be focusing on the real threat to this society the ones who actually got us into this mess and they are not min wage immigrants.

• Advertisement

I imagine so. Someone else to bear the ire of the deeply unhappy and insecure amongst us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I'm suprised by the amount of people saying we have a lot of foreign people in ireland:pac: I really would have thought the opposite...Is it weird that I only know a handful of people of another religion or nationality ? As far as I know Ive never talked to a jewish person or a muslim or a hindur or buddhist..really any religion other than catholic or prodestant. I only know about 3 black people personally , I dont know of any latino/hispanic people whatsoever. And Ionly know a handful of people from asia or with asian family.
    It think its kind of boring..Id prefer live in a more ethincally diverse city..In my year in my secondary school alone, we only have one half dutch boy, 2 half english and one half italian :/ Hardly a melting pot ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

199, really? How many countries are recognised by the UN? It's around the 200 mark right?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I'm suprised by the amount of people saying we have a lot of foreign people in ireland:pac: I really would have thought the opposite...Is it weird that I only know a handful of people of another religion or nationality ? As far as I know Ive never talked to a jewish person or a muslim or a hindur or buddhist..really any religion other than catholic or prodestant. I only know about 3 black people personally , I dont know of any latino/hispanic people whatsoever. And Ionly know a handful of people from asia or with asian family.
    It think its kind of boring..Id prefer live in a more ethincally diverse city..In my year in my secondary school alone, we only have one half dutch boy, 2 half english and one half italian :/ Hardly a melting pot ?:confused:

Ye will when yer older.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Oh wow
    Which part of the country are ye from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Oh wow

Obviously close to 'under a rock'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Oh wow

South Dublin...Rathgar

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Oh wow

South Dublin...Rathgar
    That's very surprising
    But hiya :) Now you know one more

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

Nodin wrote: »
    See its odd, because I'm a life long republican, and I've been around "foreigners" and haven't been made any less Irish by the experience. And of course you can't/won't explain why having them here will affect Irish culture, so it really does look like you just object to their presence.

I am intrigued. What is your definition of republicanism? How do you define what is or isn't Irish?

Do you believe in physical borders or are you really and truly that innocent to believe that borders are ideological? or worse -that every immigrant, miraculously, thinks like you.

Do you think that managing immigration is neccessary or irrelevant in promoting your self professed, "life long" commitment to republicanism?

Would you like a million immigrants that thought that republicanism was a load of bull****? for example?

opo wrote: »
    I am intrigued. What is your definition of republicanism? How do you define what is or isn't Irish?

Do you believe in physical borders or are you really and truly that innocent to believe that borders are ideological? or worse -that every immigrant, miraculously, thinks like you.

Do you think that managing immigration is neccessary or irrelevant in promoting your self professed, "life long" commitment to republicanism?

Would you like a million immigrants that thought that republicanism was a load of bull****? for example?

Not only do I believe in borders, but theres evidence that they exist. And yes, managing immigration is nessecary. Is there some point you want to make?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Quirk_Douglas

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. My wife's grandmother was, by all accounts, not favourable towards Americans. I dread to think of what she would have made of my grandfather, who fought against the Japanese in Okinawa :(

I have experienced one or two incidents in East Asia (Japan, Korea, Taiwan) but not so much as to make me condemn the peoples of these countries. Elsewhere on boards, I'm pretty sure I mentioned they mayor of one Japanese city who has/had a habit of appealing to the lowest common denominator voters by stating that us foreigners brought in disease, crime and violence. Sounds depressingly familiar, eh?

In the meantime, let those who wish to try and denigrate someone's retirement dream continue to their hearts content. I know of plenty of people who wish to come to Ireland and retire; why would I spoil their dreams?

I will say though, I am slightly wary of posts calling for Ireland to be kept "white" and do wonder what kind of poster these threads attract. Overall, though, such posters epitomise the far right & why their vile ways will never catch on. Reading these posts confirms their all too evident achilles heel - misinformed, misanthropic and mutton headed.

It's all about education brainwashing. I can't stress that enough.

Why don't you say what you really mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Why don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Been in a Centra, a Spar or a petrol station lately?

Something is wrong when you have to repeat yourself to a deli worker with poor English.
    Front line customer service is not the job for you, not yet anyway. There are other jobs

It must be soooooooooo troublesome for poor you to have to repeat your request for a Mr Brennan's white bread sandwich with s***.

Perhaps if you spoke a bit clearer it might help. Thankfully the world we live (excluding Ireland) is multicultural, and unfortunately the whole immigration thing seems to only be a one way thing when it comes to many Irish people.

Perhaps Centra could ask some of the millions of our shining white (Irish immigrants) from all around the world to come back and man the counters for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Something is wrong when you have to repeat yourself to a deli worker with poor English.
    Front line customer service is not the job for you, not yet anyway. There are other jobs

I have the same problem when I'm down the country. I can't understand what they're saying; they can't understand me.

Yes, its completely different to repeating yourself to a deli worker with perfect English who just isn't listening.

Try saying "Chicken sandwich twice please", rather than the laborious and repetitive, "Chicken sandwich, Chicken sandwich", granted the same amount of words but at least you're not repeating yourself.

Do you encounter the same problem with Doctors who are 'non-Irish' and whose English is not as fluent and mellifluous as yours, or do you just grin and bare it hoping that he/she can fix your problem.

By the way, my wife always has to repeat herself when she's telling me to leave the bins out, it doesn't mean she wants me to leave the country, well.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You know what? All this time I've been arguing that immigration is a good thing for this country but after reading such a compelling argument, I think I may have changed my views completely.

Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.

I'm off to Stormfront.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yikes, three posters with an over-reaction

The poster from Rathgar said he never met anyone

I gave an example, local shops

Ban me so mod

Hey man, you're the poster quick to call others arrogant and smarmy when you're peeved with them.

What's upset you this time, brother?

• Advertisement

Then there are some people who chose not to listen - customer and/or employee.

Mind you, when I worked in a retail outlet there were plenty of white Irish coming in who could barely string a sentence together, so I guess it goes both ways :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement