Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying property - will I make it before the end of the year?

• 04-10-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

I have mortgage approval from bank and have just paid booking deposit on new house so everything is up and running. I am beginning to get worried that i might not make the deadline for interest relief (31st december 2012)...How long does it normally take before the process is complete and i can drawdown the mortgage???thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

PaddyCar wrote: »
    I have mortgage approval from bank and have just paid booking deposit on new house so everything is up and running. I am beginning to get worried that i might not make the deadline for interest relief (31st december 2012)...How long does it normally take before the process is complete and i can drawdown the mortgage???thanks in advance

It's a bit of an how long is a piece of string question to be honest. You have more than enough time to get everything in place from your side and ready to close before year end. How long it will actually take depends completely on the vendors plan as they control the timeframe and will depend on how organised they are to sell and how efficient the solicitors involved are. All things going to plan it's more than conceivable that you can close this side of the deadline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My advice, keep the pressure on your solicitor!! And make them keep the pressure on the other side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mactheknife19

Keep in mind its not just the day you sign the contract and draw down the mortgage. The MIR is applied against your first repayment on your mortgage. Often your first DD payment is 1 month after the drawdown, so be aware that you could drawdown mid Dec and your first DD is not until Jan......and you miss out in MIR. If this looks like its happening to you you can go into you bank and make a physical payment direct onto the mortage. Even just €1 so it show that the mortgage started in 2012.

Keep in mind its not just the day you sign the contract and draw down the mortgage. The MIR is applied against your first repayment on your mortgage. Often your first DD payment is 1 month after the drawdown, so be aware that you could drawdown mid Dec and your first DD is not until Jan......and you miss out in MIR. If this looks like its happening to you you can go into you bank and make a physical payment direct onto the mortage. Even just €1 so it show that the mortgage started in 2012.

That's incorrect. You become entitled to TRS as soon as your mortgage starts to accrue interest i.e from the date of drawdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Yes, killers1 is correct. You become entitled to TRS as soon as your mortgage starts to accrue interest, but you can't apply for TRS until you have commenced repayments on your loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

thanks for the info.. gonna have to keep the pressure on my solicitor and hope it all goes smoothly

killers1 wrote: »
    That's incorrect. You become entitled to TRS as soon as your mortgage starts to accrue interest i.e from the date of drawdown.

Ok, was just going on something the bank said when I was talking through the application with them. The other reason I would question it is the TRS form does ask Date of First Repayment, not the draw down. So if OP puts down Jan 2013, how would someone in Revenue know that the drawdown was actually 2012.

Ok, was just going on something the bank said when I was talking through the application with them. The other reason I would question it is the TRS form does ask Date of First Repayment, not the draw down. So if OP puts down Jan 2013, how would someone in Revenue know that the drawdown was actually 2012.

The Bank will confirm it to them when Revenue are instructing the bank to reduce the monthly DD accordingly. There will be cases where a client draws down in Dec, takes a 3 month deferred start and won't have a first repayment until April 2013 but will still be entitled to TRS. Although the Revenue website says to apply after the 1st repayment has gone through it is possible to apply as soon as the mortgage issues and you have the relevant details from your lender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭orlaanne

I wish they would make it a bit clearer on the revenue website, we are in a race to to beat the deadline as well. Signing contracts next week hopefully but still no sign of a closing date. Can you really do that? Pay 1 euro off? I might do it, just to be sure.

orlaanne wrote: »
    I wish they would make it a bit clearer on the revenue website, we are in a race to to beat the deadline as well. Signing contracts next week hopefully but still no sign of a closing date. Can you really do that? Pay 1 euro off? I might do it, just to be sure.

You can ring the Revenue TRS helpline number and they'll answer any queries you have...

• Advertisement

You can ring the Revenue TRS helpline number and they'll answer any queries you have...

It all depends on who answers the phone, you can get a different answer from different people I'll find. So killer1 can you answer my question. Am I entitled to TRS when I close next month.
    I'm not a FTB (had TRS for 7 years on the house I sold a few months ago), but think I will be entitled TRS at the lower rate for the years years 2012 - 2017

It all depends on who answers the phone, you can get a different answer from different people I'll find. So killer1 can you answer my question. Am I entitled to TRS when I close next month.
    I'm not a FTB (had TRS for 7 years on the house I sold a few months ago), but think I will be entitled TRS at the lower rate for the years years 2012 - 2017

Yes, you are absolutely entitled to TRS at the lower rate till 2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭orlaanne

I got an email from Revenue this morning confirming you need to draw down before this year ends and you'll qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

Here's our experience. I know no two cases are the same but might be some help.

We had our offer accepted on August 1 and we still haven't closed, despite the house being empty. I think it depends on the vendor's situation. Our solicitor was away for two weeks in August so this didn't help matters but in all it's a much slower and frustrating process than I thought it would be. We have a closing date of this Friday so we have our fingers and toes crossed it happens.

Best of luck with it :)

Solicitor just contacted me today to say they have recieved contracts from vendor. Hopefully closer to finish than start!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Solicitor just contacted me today to say they have recieved contracts from vendor. Hopefully closer to finish than start!!
    thats good news, I have heard that this can sometimes drag on for month for various reasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Perhaps the government will just extend it out another year like they've kept doing the last few years.

Just scaremongering trying to get people to buy houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Perhaps the government will just extend it out another year like they've kept doing the last few years.

Just scaremongering trying to get people to buy houses.
    true, but in fairness, they are getting virtually SFA from them in stamp duty now that its 1%...

since i am buying a new property do i have to pay vat on top of the agreed price or is it included??

Advertisement