Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Hodgson digging a hole

• 04-10-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

This fella just seems to talk himself into cul de sacs. On SSN now it's painful looking at his back tracking regarding telling people on the train Ferdinand is finished.

They then asked if John Terry hadn't retired would he have picked him for this upcoming qualifier, his response was 'that's like asking me would I have picked Bobby Charlton', oh dear Roy please stop talking, it's bad for you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

This fella just seems to talk himself into cul de sacs. On SSN now it's painful looking at his back tracking regarding telling people on the train Ferdinand is finished.

They then asked if John Terry hadn't retired would he have picked him for this upcoming qualifier, his response was 'that's like asking me would I have picked Bobby Charlton', oh dear Roy please stop talking, it's bad for you.

Don't agree with you OP he hasn't said anything thats not true there, Ferdinand has been beyond muck recently and asking about Terry is as he alluded to irrelevent as he isn't available for selection.

Roy is a football manager not a politican the english media do really make a mountain out of a molehill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ferdinands been poor and Terrys retired so got to agree with Woy.

Also, its not like England are lacking at CB anyway, they've good ready made replacements and some good prospects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Don't agree with you OP he hasn't said anything thats not true there, Ferdinand has been beyond muck recently and asking about Terry is as he alluded to irrelevent as he isn't available for selection.

Roy is a football manager not a politican the english media do really make a mountain out of a molehill.

When you're a manager of a national side there's plenty of politics involved. And a bit of diplomacy is a given. With Hodgson's experience you would think he would have realised this. Poor from him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ferdinand has been beyond muck recently

I suppose all you've seen of him recently is Bale's goal yeah? He's been fantastic for the most part and was beaten for pace by a player who would have beaten most CBs in the league, including Terry who probably would have ended up on his arse, as usual.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Haven't watched a huge amount of United his season, but thought Ferdinand's been decent enough, thought he played very well against Liverpool.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rio can be a clown and is definitely past his best but you'd think a guy with around 80 caps for his country would be afforded a little more respect by the international manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Rio was Utd's MoTM against Liverpool IMO but that perforamnce aside he hasnt done it consistently enough, same can be said for JT, not consistently good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Don't agree with you OP he hasn't said anything thats not true there, Ferdinand has been beyond muck recently and asking about Terry is as he alluded to irrelevent as he isn't available for selection

What an utter load of rubbish. Ferdinand has been solid this season and has made very few errors. Why not go and educate yourself and watch him playing before making such an inaccurate remark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Well for starters I 100% disagree he's been beyond muck as you put it, and secondly Hodgson is a football manager yes, but discussing and revealing a players prospects of playing for his country again on a public train is a total lack of respect.

I know Ferdinand can be a tool at times with is twitter crap and the likes, but he has been completely made a mug of by both Capello and Hodgson on a few occasions. It's a disgraceful way of treating a veteran international.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't think Rio's form matters. The problem is he is to injury prone and even his own manager thinks they guy shouldn't be taken to a summer football tournament where the schedule is so compact. Rio will be 36 at the Rio World cup, makes far more sense to drop him and let the young CBs gain the experience.

• Advertisement

I don't think Rio's form matters. The problem is he is to injury prone and even his own manager thinks they guy shouldn't be taken to a summer football tournament where the schedule is so compact. Rio will be 36 at the Rio World cup, makes far more sense to drop him and let the young CBs gain the experience.

I do agree with you regarding his playing days for both club and country being too much now, especially with the amount of back injuries he gets it be best for him to be done with it. My issue is just how the England managers past and present have treated him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well for starters I 100% disagree he's been beyond muck as you put it, and secondly Hodgson is a football manager yes, but discussing and revealing a players prospects of playing for his country again on a public train is a total lack of respect.

I know Ferdinand can be a tool at times with is twitter crap and the likes, but he has been completely made a mug of by both Capello and Hodgson on a few occasions. It's a disgraceful way of treating a veteran international.

Well you could argue that Ferguson showed a lack of respect by telling Rio's he cant play back to back games for england and that he should retire from international football.

I suppose all you've seen of him recently is Bale's goal yeah? He's been fantastic for the most part and was beaten for pace by a player who would have beaten most CBs in the league, including Terry who probably would have ended up on his arse, as usual.
    Haven't watched a huge amount of United his season, but thought Ferdinand's been decent enough, thought he played very well against Liverpool.
    What an utter load of rubbish. Ferdinand has been solid this season and has made very few errors. Why not go and educate yourself and watch him playing before making such an inaccurate remark.

Oh have I upset the little united fanboy section?? Right here are the facts - This season united have played 6 league games, Rio has missed 2 so were left with 4 those been Southampton, Liverpool, Totenham and Wigan.
    Rio was shocking in 2 of those, played very well in one and had nothing to do in the other (obv. not he's fault I know) SO ye think he's MOTM performance against Liverpool, which is he's sole positive influence on the season makes my statement that he has been muck invalid??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Rio will be 36 at the Rio World cup,

Never retire before your own World Cup imo.

niallo27 wrote: »

Well you could argue that Ferguson showed a lack of respect by telling Rio's he cant play back to back games for england and that he should retire from international football.

No, a manager advising a player of his capabilities while dealing with niggling injuries face to face is different to a manager discussing his inclusion with strangers on a public train. There's a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A lot of "knowledgeable" football fans never rated Rio, I hear it all over the place, ultimately Rio was superior to Vidic in the most successful United seasons a few years ago but because Vidic was the more dynamic of the two Rio didn't get the credit, same as Carvalho at Chelsea with Terry beside him. It's always seemingly been the cool thing to "not rate" Ferdinand despite the fact he was world class for about 4 years. He's not what he used to be now but still one of the better defenders in the league due to his intelligence and leadership abilities.

Oh have I upset the little united fanboy section?? Right here are the facts - This season united have played 6 league games, Rio has missed 2 so were left with 4 those been Southampton, Liverpool, Totenham and Wigan.
    Rio was shocking in 2 of those, played very well in one and had nothing to do in the other (obv. not he's fault I know) SO ye think he's MOTM performance against Liverpool, which is he's sole positive influence on the season makes my statement that he has been muck invalid??

Beyond muck? Yes I think you over reached with that statement so yea, invalid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

FFS, this is being blown out of all proportion. Hodgson should be commended for interacting with the fans in a candid way so I say well done to him. would it not be worse if he was an unapproachable insufferable príck? Not only that, he was 100% correct.

Liam O wrote: »
    A lot of "knowledgeable" football fans never rated Rio, I hear it all over the place, ultimately Rio was superior to Vidic in the most successful United seasons a few years ago but because Vidic was the more dynamic of the two Rio didn't get the credit, same as Carvalho at Chelsea with Terry beside him. It's always seemingly been the cool thing to "not rate" Ferdinand despite the fact he was world class for about 4 years. He's not what he used to be now but still one of the better defenders in the league due to his intelligence and leadership abilities.

You kind of had me up untill the bolded part, I was even going to let the ''world class'' bit slide, but this was a leap too far :pac:

Ok point taken, so replace that with 'average at best' and read my post again.

• Advertisement

Ok point taken, so replace that with 'average at best' and read my post again.

Ah that looks better, I now take your point ;-) anyway as I said I just feel he's been treated poorly by England managers. As a United fan it's in our interest for him to forget England so overall I suppose I should be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

lol. So much fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Pah! He has been magnificent in United backline since the start of the season. Don't confuse being outpaced by a bloody Olympic sprinter as a lack of quality. Any side in the Premier League would have him in a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So is this a thread about Hodgson's indiscrections, or about the abilities of Rio Ferdinand ? I thought the former, but I'm obviously mistaken :rolleyes:

Pah! He has been magnificent in United backline since the start of the season. Don't confuse being outpaced by a bloody Olympic sprinter as a lack of quality. Any side in the Premier League would have him in a shot.

My how Uniteds standards have fallen :D He's missed a third of the league fgames and been poor in two of the other 4, I may have been over harsh saying 'beyond muck', but 'magnificent'? Your having a laugh shirley??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Hodgson doesn't like ball playing CBs, for instance see his treatment of Agger at Liverpool. Rio isn't really his style whether in form or not.

greendom wrote: »
    So is this a thread about Hodgson's indiscrections, or about the abilities of Rio Ferdinand ? I thought the former, but I'm obviously mistaken :rolleyes:

Yep originally was about how his interview was painful to watch, he was bright red with embarrassment and apologising while disputing what day he had his 'train conference'. Then just descended into a Rio ability debate. A thread evolution if you will :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hodgson is and always has been a bit of a clown. If he could pronounce his rs (and I'm not having a pop at him there even though it does sound quite mean) and had an Arryesque cockney accent, he wouldn't get half the undeserved sentiment that he gets off the general sporting public.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oh have I upset the little united fanboy section??

I don't support united

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

karma_ wrote: »
    FFS, this is being blown out of all proportion. Hodgson should be commended for interacting with the fans in a candid way so I say well done to him. would it not be worse if he was an unapproachable insufferable príck? Not only that, he was 100% correct.

It doesn't have to be one or the other, you can be a class act without revealing important information about your team or players future. Roy has form with this kind of nonsense though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I read his comment about Bobby Charlton as though he was comparing Terry to Charlton in terms of stature, ie you'd have to pick him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rio Ferdinand played 30 league games last season in a team that finished level on points at the top of the league without his first choice partner at centre back for most of the season.

Judging him on a couple of games at the start of a new season is beyond stupid, although I'm guessing people are judging him on his last game because he was outpaced by possibly the fastest runner on the ball in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

[sarcasm font]
    but but but how can this be ? Roy is one of the best most experienced managers in the game today . [/sarcasm font]

Rio is ok but on the decline. Does he even want to play for England again anyway?

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Rio is ok but on the decline. Does he even want to play for England again anyway?

I think he said if wanted he's available but I reckon he know's he won't be called anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Rio Ferdinand played 30 league games last season in a team that finished level on points at the top of the league without his first choice partner at centre back for most of the season.

Judging him on a couple of games at the start of a new season is beyond stupid, although I'm guessing people are judging him on his last game because he was outpaced by possibly the fastest runner on the ball in the league.

Dont know if id agree with that, Agbonlahor and Walcott give him a race, anyways IMO Rios class have him at The Villa anyday, but as everyone knows your not cool if you like Rio, so all aboard the hate train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

astonaidan wrote: »
    Don't know if id agree with that, Agbonlahor and Walcott give him a race, anyways IMO Rios class have him at The Villa anyday, but as everyone knows your not cool if you like Rio, so all aboard the hate train
    I did say possibly ;)
    I doubt there's much between them with a ball at their feet, I reckon the other 2 might take him in a flat out sprint though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Who cares, if you want drama go watch hollyoaks or something. Roy is a world class manager who is honest and tells it as it is.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Who cares, if you want drama go watch hollyoaks or something. Roy is a world class manager who is honest and tells it as it is.

World class??? U for real?? And I dont think anyone wants drama that's kind of the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Please tell me what Roy Hodgson has on his CV after a long career that makes him world class. Mourinho, Ferguson, Guardiola, Van Gaal, Hiddink. These are world class managers. Hodgson couldn't be spoken of in the same breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Good point. He would be a good fit at Arsenal if Wenger steps down to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

World class??? U for real?? And I dont think anyone wants drama that's kind of the point.
    CSF wrote: »
    Please tell me what Roy Hodgson has on his CV after a long career that makes him world class. Mourinho, Ferguson, Guardiola, Van Gaal, Hiddink. These are world class managers. Hodgson couldn't be spoken of in the same breath.
    jaykay74 wrote: »

Im on my phone so i can't look up the facts but he's proven himself a natural winner with every club he has managed and you don't manage half the prestigious clubs he has without knowing a thing or 2 about a thing or two. He might not be in the Ferguson bracket but he is certainly not far behind, id actually rate him higher then Guardiola.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Im on my phone so i can't look up the facts but he's proven himself a natural winner with every club he has managed and you don't manage half the prestigious clubs he has without knowing a thing or 2 about a thing or two. He might not be in the Ferguson bracket but he is certainly not far behind, id actually rate him higher then Guardiola.

Ah here. Is stupidity a bannable offence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Are you having a laugh? Or you meant he might go back to finish his career at Liverpool. He cant even be employed to coach the under-21 at Arsenal I am afraid. If and when Arsene steps down, I can assure you that Henry will have a better chance at managing the team than Roy. What exactly would he offer the team?

Fulham>Liverpool> Westbrom> England> Arsenal? Sorry does not compute.

CSF wrote: »

You rate him higher than a manager with 2 CL titles and 3 La Liga titles in 4 years? Are you juiced man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

An historical tube journey by Roy. Probably the best tube journey of the year.

Advertisement