Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC - Paddies Week

Options
  • 04-10-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

So have been to NY a few times but always in the fall. Anybody ever do St.Patricks weekend/week over there? I notice many of the college's in the NY area are also on spring break that week.

I am sure there are people here who have been in NY that week? So what;s it like or is it a bit too o'irish ;) - is the weather crap that time for year? Ive heard it can be quiet wet.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I did a couple of years back, but left on Paddy morning.

Tbh there were far too many drunk Irish people puking on the streets for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Went on Paddy's day just gone.

All the drunk people were American when I was there - hundreds of kids walking around pissed and screaming ... Central park was full of them the day of the Parade.
    Found the Parade a bit soulless ... just loads of guys in uniforms marching with a sprinkle of college bands. Got chatting to some of the military guys after and they were told they were not allowed to acknowledge the on-lookers!! - Maybe its just me, but I loved Philadelphia the week before when they celebrated Paddys ... the parade was full of kids clubs, irish dancers, a few fire trucks and some open top cars with old blokes waving out of them :)

Hit the pubs after the parade, they were packed but good fun, met some great people and they enjoyed the fact that they met some Irish people!!

NYC was great to do once, but think I'll stick to the madness down in Philly next year as they will be on the same weekend! Book your accommodation early!

Oh, and the weather was lovely, the sun was shinning but you still had to wear a jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I was there this year. Got lucky with the weather, record March temps.

the parade is boring IMHO. Lots of military bands marching, no floats, just marchers!

Decent atmosphere there but nowhere near the craic of the Dublin parade. If its going to cost you extra to fly/stay over that period of time i would advise picking another date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I was there 10 years ago and it was a very memorable day. To be honest if you are Irish in Manhattan on Paddy's Day and are not having a good time with the locals you need help;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i was in new york for paddys in 2004, weather for the previous few days was grand then on monday night the 15th it started snowing and continued snowing really heavy throughout the 16th so much so you could barely see a thing and couldn't make out street signs even standing directly under them

snow isn't that rare that time of year http://www.bruceslutsky.com/2009/03/history-of-new-york-city-snowstorms-in.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement