Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK stakeholder pension conundrum

Options
  • 04-10-2012 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

We're moving to Ireland in January from the UK.

My wife will be taking up a job (with a pension) and will be leaving her current UK occupational pension scheme. This looks straightforward, as her new scheme will not accept transfers in, she will just freeze her current scheme and start afresh in her new one.

I have a private UK stakeholder pension plan and I currently get UK tax relief on my contributions to it. As far as I can find out I will not get tax relief on any further contributions once I move.

It seems to me I have three options.

1.Continue paying in to the UK scheme (forgoing tax relief on future contributions) and leave it in the UK until maturity.
    2. Start a new RoI based pension scheme and transfer the UK based capital into it.
    3. Start a new RoI scheme and leave the UK based capital where it is.

Am I correct and what do people think is best?

Thanks

Advertisement