Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak from a valve?

• 04-10-2012 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am having a little trouble with a gas central heating system. I had it put in nearly 2 years ago and unfortunately the pump above the boiler works only some of the time.

Research online suggested removing and opening the pump to examine it, clean it etc and this was supposed to be an easy enough job starting with closing the valves either side.

When I looked at my system I have what look like valves above and below the pump, which appear to rotate by way of a flat head screwdriver.

Unfortunately when I pushed on one with a flat head screwdriver it appeared to vent when pressure was applied and now I have water leaking from it.

Rotating left or right seems to have no effect on opening or closing the valve and just increased the flow of water from it.

I have turned on the heating system (lucky the pump decided to play ball) and the heating up effect of the pipes seems to have brought the leak down to a drip as opposed to a flow.

Has anyone come across this type of valve before and can offer any suggestions advice on how best to deal with it.

Many thanks in advance

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78975090@N02/8053837691/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78975090@N02/8053837033/in/photostream/lightbox/

MT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Leaks are common on these type of cheap pump valves, the only option is to replace them.
    When replacing use spindle type valves, they're a bit more expensive, but well worth the extra cost.

Advertisement