Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basa fish? - MOD NOTE POST #1

Options
  • 04-10-2012 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already - I had a search on the forum but found nothing relevant.

SO, I bought frozen basa fish from ALDI a few weeks ago, and I just googled it to see the best way to cook it, when low and behold, all I get is a bunch of articles telling me how dangerous it is, how terrible the conditions in vietnam are where the fish are grown, and how you can get food poisoning from eating it etc.
    I was just wondering what anyone on boards thought before I either a) Ignore the scare mongering and eat the fish anyway or b) throw it away and never look back!

###MOD NOTE###
    Do not offer Food Safety Advice in this forum.
    Advice on cooking methods are fine...

tHB
    ###MOD NOTE ENDS###

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Well, I would never buy it, never eat it, but to say you could get food poisoning from it is a far stretch.

They are reared in the Mekong river, which is one of the most poluted rivers on this blue planet. I do know of people buying and eating it, but never heard of them being down with food poisoning. It's just not a very ethical fish I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

I bought it but my son refused to cook it. He showed the stuff on youtube and that was enough. It went in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I've eaten it - once. I didn't get ill, but I wasn't impressed with the taste. There are plenty of other options (pollack etc.) so it's really not necessary to eat Basa if you don't want to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Most catfish in Ireland is Basa, I'd never touch the stuff.

Advertisement