Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for IT person for business idea

Options
  • 04-10-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I am a DCU busines graduate. I have a business idea that I have developed to a certain point. To continue I need an IT graduate or final year student to work with me. They will be a partner in the business.
    I have contacted some IT people I know and while they have said the idea is good they are presently employed. I am looking for someone with some time to work on this with me.
    I have discussed the requirements needed with an IT friend of mine and he detailed the following requirements.

"I think you basically need someone who's enthusiastic more than anything else, since college students are all going to list practically the same experience. The person will have more than that - probably worked on some programming projects of his own at home or whatever.
    But mainly you need some form of web-based programming experience, like in Microsoft ASP.Net or PHP. Also some database experience such as Microsoft SQL Server / Oracle / MySQL. That should just about cover it."

I am looking to get in touch with anyone who might be interested to discuss this further. I am preparing a business plan and all the other aspects of this will be taken care of by me. All I require is your time. If you or anyone you know is interested please send me a private message.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Not a good idea to post your personal email on a public forum if you don't like spam. If PM's aren't sufficient you can edit to: neilholohan at hotmail dot com. Even at that it still could be scraped handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

He made the same post in 2008 so it's too late for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 krusty2101

I did make the same post previously and funding got stopped. I have funding again. This is a legitimate request and a great opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Ah I see. It still not a good idea though!

I took your advice. I have removed my email. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

One of the best "I have a business idea and need an IT person" posts I've seen in a while. Unlike most, you give the impression that you've done your homework before coming here, are being up front about what you're offering, are already developing a business plan and have at least hinted at having secured funding - in other words you have more than just an 'idea'.

You may want to also look at partnering up with a freelancer or even a small development firm (< 5 people, including directors). They may not be completely free to dedicate themselves to your project, but in many cases may be able to invest significant time and will additionally have far more experience at actual development than a student.

As to negotiating equity, what it would cost to get it developed commercially is a good starting point, as this is effectively what they would be investing if translated to a monitory value. Mind you, it's only a starting point.

I would suggest you also cross post to the Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum here, as well as any IT SME mailing lists or fora out there and I've no doubt you'll get a few enquiries from interested parties.

Good luck in your venture.

Many thanks for the advice Corinthian. I have also posted in Entrepreneurial & Business Management.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Please note that job offers go in the situations vacant sticky, and job offers where equity is offered in place of salary are not permitted at all. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement