Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abercrombie opening 1st November

Options
  • 04-10-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

There you have it folks.

Confirmed today. Really good news for jobs and a makor boost for retail in Dublin, which is already performing well all things considered.

Should have a major boost for other local retailers also as the shop is arguably the biggest "magnet" retail has to offer in Europe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I can feel a headache coming on already....

I hate their stores. Theyre too loud, too dark and smell of cheap aftershave (which isn't cheap). I'm 22, but they make me feel old :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

cant wait ,and i love how it annoys people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Where are they coming to, Dundrum, city center?

nudger wrote: »
    Where are they coming to, Dundrum, city center?

College Green

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

sandwichboard.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

The old commercial BoI that was to be a Habitat store?

nudger wrote: »
    The old commercial BoI that was to be a Habitat store?

Thats the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Good news that they brought it to town and not Dundrum, even if all their staff and customers are tossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

its going to be a goldmine (and a ripoff compared to US prices) regardless of your opinion of it, can ye imagine christmas in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

df1985 wrote: »
    its going to be a goldmine (and a ripoff compared to US prices) regardless of your opinion of it, can ye imagine christmas in it!

Exactly!

It isnt my bag either. But from Dublins perspective its a win win. jobs plus tourism boost. People will come from all over the country just to go to that store.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I don't like Abercrombie, but by god their hoodies are comfy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

liffeylite wrote: »
    People will come from all over the country just to go to that store.

Sad people, aren't they? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Just a shop, bareky worth an opinion if you don't like their gear. If you are gong to give a negative opinion anyway, well then you just need to look at yourself and the average Joe Duffy listener and have a think

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

does anybody actually still wear this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Everybody entering this shop should be given a ..........

E138011D1AD84F3694E6D13677813927-0000336305-0003033807-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

At least it's one less empty building in the City Centre I suppose.

It's going where Habitat used to be isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

Thank fúck they took down that horrid eyesore of a billboard. Hopefully this outlet of the garbage mall brand doesn't hang around too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I think they've made the store too big for their potential market size. The fascination with Abercrombie has disappeared in comparison to what it was 4 years ago. I think people will shop in Hollister to a greater extent, the euro prices for Abercrombie are too high for a store of that size. The demand for it just isn't there anymore.

Thank fúck they took down that horrid eyesore of a billboard. Hopefully this outlet of the garbage mall brand doesn't hang around too long.

Why exactly, they've created 200 jobs, thats all that matters in my mind

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The grand opening will be either mega or cringe worthy depending on your point of view.
    Expect lots of topless men, maybe some well dressed women and men/women swinging on ropes from the roof top ;)

Heard of one guy seen leaving an interview tucking his shirt back into his trousers.

• Advertisement

mmcn90 wrote: »

Why exactly, they've created 200 jobs, thats all that matters in my mind

Exactly! It can only be good news for the city. Jobs and a boost for tourism. Whether you personally like the brand or not isnt the point. It does appeal to a lot of people, both in ireland and abroad. And people will come to the store from far and wide. There is only one Abercrombie store in the uk and ireland, in london. Dublin beating the other big uk cities to it is a major plus for the city. Ive no doubt that footfall around grafton st, dame st will increase and this will be a positive knock on for other businesses in the city centre. It really is a good thing for Dublin.

Mr.S wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

You could just, you know, not shop there?

They've created 200 jobs, a lot of people like the clothes, some hate it. Who cares? Jobs are a good thing.

100% correct! Its actually a minimum of 200 jobs, up to 300. Ask the bar , shop, hotel & restaurant owners in the vicinity come december if they are pleased Abercrombie has landed. They will be rubbing their hands..:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭JerseyJoe

I'd wear it if it was a gift, but aside from that it's all just too pricey!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Flukey wrote: »
    Sad people, aren't they? :)

I find it sadder that you care so much about other people's shopping habits.
    Liking something mainstream and popular is obviously so passé for the hip individuals of this world. I think it's great to have such a profitable store in Dublin that sells incredibly comfy clothes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

kceire wrote: »
    The grand opening will be either mega or cringe worthy depending on your point of view.
    Expect lots of topless men, maybe some well dressed women and men/women swinging on ropes from the roof top ;)

Heard of one guy seen leaving an interview tucking his shirt back into his trousers.

Even if that's true,which I seriously doubt it is,so what?

I actually don't doubt it, but as you said, Who cares

El_Drago wrote: »
    Even if that's true,which I seriously doubt it is,so what?

just pointing out that the store is continuing with its trend for having topless men at the door and instore :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

kceire wrote: »
    just pointing out that the store is continuing with its trend for having topless men at the door and instore :confused:

This is hilarious - I think the way Irish people operate is different to America. In America, i imagine this type of job is sought after and lads are dying to get it.

In Ireland at the bottom of Grafton Street if there is a lad topless and a girl half dressed i can see the lad getting a severe amount of stick. Can't imagine anyone will want that position after a week or two of abuse from some of the less than desirable passers by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Great timing.

Store selling horrendously overpriced 'aspirational' clothing to retards holds off from opening during the credit boom and then decides to open up during a terrible recession.

Anyway, I thought the whole point of these brands was to proclaim that you'd been to the states?

• Advertisement

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    This is hilarious - I think the way Irish people operate is different to America. In America, i imagine this type of job is sought after and lads are dying to get it.

In Ireland at the bottom of Grafton Street if there is a lad topless and a girl half dressed i can see the lad getting a severe amount of stick. Can't imagine anyone will want that position after a week or two of abuse from some of the less than desirable passers by

That was my original point too, i dont think we have the stomach for this kind of thing. Yeah its no harm as such, like the hunky dorey ad campaign that i thoughily enjoyed :D

i just cant imagine some lad outside with his top off all day, i know on 5th Ave in NYC people actually hang around and que to get in photos with the model at the door so i suppose it could generate a bit of hype around the entrance.

Advertisement