Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abercrombie opening 1st November

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

anncoates wrote: »
    Great timing.

Store selling horrendously overpriced 'aspirational' clothing to retards holds off from opening during the credit boom and then decides to open up during a terrible recession.

Anyway, I thought the whole point of these brands was to proclaim that you'd been to the states?

Where do you buy your clothes?
    If you dont like the clothes, dont buy them, i would of thought that was a simple enough kind of thing, even for retards :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

kceire wrote: »
    If you dont like the clothes, dont buy them,

I don't.

You should show the same sensible acceptance of contrary opinions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

I don't.

Maybe you should take some of your own advise as opposed to calling people who like different clothes to you retards.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I'm not long back from New York and the 5th Ave store was packed, passed it one day and there was even one queue in to it and another to get your picture with the model outside. Considering the only Abercrombie store near here is the one UK store on Savile Row in London, it may even bring a few tourist shoppers over. Regardless of your opinion on the brand, this is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

People like different clothes, can people get over that. Just because somebody likes Abercrombie, doesn't make them a retard. Calling them that is just ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Proxy wrote: »
    I'm not long back from New York and the 5th Ave store was packed, passed it one day and there was even one queue in to it and another to get your picture with the model outside. Considering the only Abercrombie store near here is the one UK store on Savile Row in London, it may even bring a few tourist shoppers over. Regardless of your opinion on the brand, this is a good thing.

Proxy, you are dead right. I know people coming over from the uk with intention to go xmas shopping in Dublin, partly because of this shop. That is what i was trying to explain in my original post. It doesnt matter if you or i or anyone else we care to name thinks Abercrombie is a rip off. The fact is, there are thousands of people in ireland that love it and alot of them have the money to spend there, recession or no recession! Similarly, there is a huge international tourist market, in which Dublin is a major player. A large section of this market will also spend their money here. So its good for Dublin, and good for ireland. Simple as that. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CeluiDuDehors

Don't count too much on internationals coming to Dublin just for that shop, Abercrombie already has shops in London, Paris, Copenhagen, Madrid, Milan, Hamburg, Brussels, and very soon Amsterdam and Munich...it is aimed primarily at people in Ireland...good for the city of Dublin anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Don't count too much on internationals coming to Dublin just for that shop, Abercrombie already has shops in London, Paris, Copenhagen, Madrid, Milan, Hamburg, Brussels, and very soon Amsterdam and Munich...it is aimed primarily at people in Ireland...good for the city of Dublin anyway!

Yeah, besides, we have the international market covered with Carrolls.

Seriously though, A&F is an awful awful store. I lament its presence on one of the nicer areas of town. Why couldn't they just stick it in Dundrum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I welcome them in College Green for one particular reason. They restore buildings rather sympathetically with no garish signs. Take london as an example, if it wasn't for the semi naked models, you'd be hard pressed to realise its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Why oh why couldn't they have just dumped it in Dundrum rather than right outside the front door of my fúcking college...Swear to god I'll be gagging from the smell half way across campus!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

kceire wrote: »
    That was my original point too, i dont think we have the stomach abs for this kind of thing. Yeah its no harm as such, like the hunky dorey ad campaign that i thoughily enjoyed :D

i just cant imagine some lad outside with his top off all day, i know on 5th Ave in NYC people actually hang around and que to get in photos with the model at the door so i suppose it could generate a bit of hype around the entrance.

Fixed your post :p.

On topic, this place won't be my cup of tea (I don't have the stomach for their clothes :D), but neither is Brown Thomas and I'm not wishing closure on them. Hopefully, it brings long term employment opportunities and money into the city centre. And hey, if it results in fit half naked fellas wandering around the city centre from time to time, I'll grin and bear it :D.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Are you on gear or something? Do you not remember what you posted in your previous posts?

Let me remind you :
    Great timing.

Store selling horrendously overpriced 'aspirational' clothing to retards holds off from opening during the credit boom and then decides to open up during a terrible recession.

Anyway, I thought the whole point of these brands was to proclaim that you'd been to the states?

Im sorry, but your ignorant views will be ignored now.

Bring on the shop and all the employment it brings with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Got a glimpse of said news story on independent.ie
    Apparently they have 50 half cut men parading themselves around Dame street next week.
    I seem to remember a great rabble about a halloween ball in one of the Dublin Universities. Decide this abercrombie story a generous few hours. I note with sadness that there has not been any objection to the sexual objectification of these 50 young men.

Will this particular opening be the next Irish debacle "Hunky Dory" style.
    I somehow doubt it. But feel free to surprise me. I am sure the A & F, PR machine will thank you for your efforts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

50 half clad women would have been of more interest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

They sell hoodies get a grip you left wing loons.
    Wtf is wrong with people it's only a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Got a glimpse of said news story on independent.ie
    Apparently they have 50 half cut men parading themselves around Dame street next week.
    I seem to remember a great rabble about a halloween ball in one of the Dublin Universities. Decide this abercrombie story a generous few hours. I note with sadness that there has not been any objection to the sexual objectification of these 50 young men.

Will this particular opening be the next Irish debacle "Hunky Dory" style.
    I somehow doubt it. But feel free to surprise me. I am sure the A & F, PR machine will thank you for your efforts.
    it would only be considered sexist if it was women. i remember listening to a debate on matt cooper about the hunky dory adverts and the womens rights people openly said that if it were men in the ads it wouldn't be sexist because "they're different"....

i don't mind the store though, they have nice clothes, but i find it hard to shop there. i'm happy dublin has one now
    went by yesterday and all the lads were on the footpath getting group photos i think. they took up most of the path and i was in a rush so i stepped onto the road(there was no traffic there and i was only a foot away from the path) and 3 of their staff yelled at me to get back on the path?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Sounds about right. No interest in the brand myself to be honest. Passed by the shop earlier today. Sure enough there a few of the guys there more or less standing in a line at the entrance, with red Jackets. None of them were shirtless mind, guess they did not like the rain. Some girls still there of course, not as many as I would have thought. Just to be clear, I have no objection to either sex dressing in a sexually provocative way. Hell if I had the Abercrombie body, I would try and get away with it.

EyeSight wrote: »
    it would only be considered sexist if it was women. i remember listening to a debate on matt cooper about the hunky dory adverts and the womens rights people openly said that if it were men in the ads it wouldn't be sexist because "they're different"....

i don't mind the store though, they have nice clothes, but i find it hard to shop there. i'm happy dublin has one now
    went by yesterday and all the lads were on the footpath getting group photos i think. they took up most of the path and i was in a rush so i stepped onto the road(there was no traffic there and i was only a foot away from the path) and 3 of their staff yelled at me to get back on the path?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

Never saw the fascination with having other peoples names written on my clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Overthrow wrote: »
    Never saw the fascination with having other peoples names written on my clothes.

You make your clothes yourself then do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

cson wrote: »
    You make your clothes yourself then do you?

That's not quite the same thing. He said he never understood the fascination with having people's names on his clothes, not making his clothes. Lots of clothes out there that don't have a large corporate brand stamped across the front. And let's be honest that's what A&F customers are looking for; they're not paying €120+ for a hoodie just because it's warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

That's not quite the same thing. He said he never understood the fascination with having people's names on his clothes, not making his clothes. Lots of clothes out there that don't have a large corporate brand stamped across the front. And let's be honest that's what A&F customers are looking for; they're not paying €120+ for a hoodie just because it's warm.

Sweet Mary and Joseph! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I wouldn't wear any abercrombie gear,it's a tossers badge and I have no doubt the shop will do great business with the D4 crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

any grand opening offers??

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

sinead81 wrote: »
    any grand opening offers??

Ha ha, that would be really bad business. Not a hope this will happen. They will bleed everyone dry for what they can while it's still a novelty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Mr.S wrote: »
    To be fair, an A&F hoodie that costs ~€150 is a lot better quality then a €10 hoodie from Dunnes or Pennys!

Well there's no use comparing the discount retailers to the likes of Abercrombie - obviously there'll be a massive quality difference. There are moderately priced shops with very good quality too.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    While you are paying a portion just for the name, to say its all what people buy 'em for is silly.
    they're not paying €120+ for a hoodie just because it's warm.

I didn't mean to come off as saying quality didn't come into the equation - but I do maintain that the main reason people pay such extortionate prices is because of the brand.

And I can guarantee you that's it's not just "a portion" that you're paying for the name. These clothes are probably manufactured, packaged and shipped for a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Was in dublin two weeks ago and every second young person had hollister gear on them, Jesus it was like they were brain washed into wearing this gear and now with this other crowd A&F here there'll be a turf war between these two groups of brainwashed kids..... All in the name of so called fashion been branded like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

There was a row of (fully dressed) lads stood in a line outside the store yesterday, obviously advertising the imminent opening.

Meanwhile, the boss is in a bit of bother for being a dirty old man

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/2012/oct/18/abercrombie-fitch-boss-extraordinary-male-model-demands
    The boss of Abercrombie & Fitch requires male models who work as stewards aboard his private jet to wear boxer briefs, flip-flops and a "spritz" of the retailer's own brand aftershave, it has been claimed in a US court case.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Overthrow wrote: »

Its well accepted internationally, following different studies, that those who wear clothes with big "loud" labels are lacking in self-confidence, are less ambitous and less intelligent.

they're not paying €120+ for a hoodie just because it's warm.
    fools and their money are easily parted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Ben D Bus wrote: »

its amazing what marketing can do - he should be paying people 120 a go to waer his name in big letters on their clothing...not people paying him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Where are you getting that figure from!?You're perfectly entitled to your opinion(s) regarding the brand but stop making up your own facts.Any Hollister/Abercrombie hoodie I've ever purchased hasn't been more than $50.I'd imagine that's no more than what most people would pay for any hoodie???

Those who have such resentment towards something silly like a clothing brand really ought to build a bridge and should instead spend their energy on something a little more worthwhile.

Advertisement