Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abercrombie opening 1st November

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

200 jobs???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    This is hilarious - I think the way Irish people operate is different to America. In America, i imagine this type of job is sought after and lads are dying to get it.

In Ireland at the bottom of Grafton Street if there is a lad topless and a girl half dressed i can see the lad getting a severe amount of stick. Can't imagine anyone will want that position after a week or two of abuse from some of the less than desirable passers by

They get paid 50 euro an hour, I doubt they're complaining...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

bigpink wrote: »
    200 jobs???

its 300 jobs i think..

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Namlub wrote: »
    They get paid 50 euro an hour, I doubt they're complaining...

I beg to differ when the scrotes around town get a glimpse of it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

liffeylite wrote: »
    its 300 jobs i think..

I think you mean jobs FOR the lads from 300 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I'm indifferent to the brand. I like their clothes but wouldn't be too pushed to pay their prices. I could see myself buying one or two things maybe.

What I do like, and think they should be given credit for, is what they have done with the building. You wouldn't even know its a clothes shop. No tacky signs, and no neon lights.

Also everytime you walk by you'll get a smell of their aftershave blowing out of the vents :pac: Beats a smell of piss :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

neil_18_ wrote: »
    Also everytime you walk by you'll get a smell of their aftershave blowing out of the vents :pac: Beats a smell of piss :P

Why would anyone buy it then, to smell like College Green? :D

I appreciate quality, but these huge logos turn me off. Yay for the jobs though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Don't know what all the fuss is about...it's only another branded store.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So did the end of the world come about today? " Remember, remember, the first of November."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Well the store opened, a nice crowd outside, the wait to get in for some was one hour +. It's a big store, but not massive, I was lucky to get into it for a preview on Tuesday. They have really done justice to the building, it's great seeing life back into College Green once again. Let's hope this brings more shoppers into the city and other retailers see the benefits of the increased footfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

What kinda price range are the clothes? Are they around the same as the US/UK or is it the old $99/£99/€99 "exchange rate" again?

Don't know what all the fuss is about...it's only another branded store.

It isnt though. It has such a large appeal that it will bring in tourists and more shoppers to the city centre. It brings 300 jobs directly, it also boosts trade for all of the surrounding shops through generating increased footfall.
    That includes pubs reseuarants and other stores as well as vistor attractions.
    it also raises Dublins image to the "trendies" both inside and outside of Ireland. In short, It brings money.
    There is only one other A+F in the UK and Ireland- the London store.
    massive coup for Dublin to get it over the other big UK cities.

Other than the opening of a major department store which has very few branches, i.e. Harrods or Maceys, There probably isnt another store that would have the same effect as this one will.

Its great news for Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Another great store mentioned in another thread is American Eagle Outfitters. Personally I think they have a better range and more affordable (H&M level) prices. Shipping from the US to Ireland is a flat rate of €50, with no shops over this side at all, not even in the UK. If we had some government backed influence (as the American's call it, lobbying) to get them over here, it would help turn Dublin around for shopping tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

College Green needed this!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

liffeylite wrote: »
    It isnt though. It has such a large appeal that it will bring in tourists and more shoppers to the city centre. It brings 300 jobs directly, it also boosts trade for all of the surrounding shops through generating increased footfall.
    That includes pubs reseuarants and other stores as well as vistor attractions.
    it also raises Dublins image to the "trendies" both inside and outside of Ireland. In short, It brings money.
    There is only one other A+F in the UK and Ireland- the London store.
    massive coup for Dublin to get it over the other big UK cities.

Other than the opening of a major department store which has very few branches, i.e. Harrods or Maceys, There probably isnt another store that would have the same effect as this one will.

Its great news for Dublin :D

Well you can be full sure that they'll pay no corporation tax through that old transfer pricing ruse. There is only a certain amount of € for the retail trade in Ireland, their revenue would have most likely been spent in other clothes stores which employed similar numbers of people. It might get the Spanish hordes to drop more money here, but that's a tenuous argument.

But it is good news for that particular part of Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

El_Drago wrote: »
    Where are you getting that figure from!?

Their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    This is hilarious - I think the way Irish people operate is different to America. In America, i imagine this type of job is sought after and lads are dying to get it.

In Ireland at the bottom of Grafton Street if there is a lad topless and a girl half dressed i can see the lad getting a severe amount of stick. Can't imagine anyone will want that position after a week or two of abuse from some of the less than desirable passers by

Given that Abercrombie's target audience is pretty much mostly women, I bet the 'guys with abs' thing will probably work just as well over there as over here ;)

They definitely don't hire for intelligence though. I remember going to an abercrombie one time with my wife and we found a sweater that was actually tolerable looking for me - turned out it was just on the mannequin because they thought it looked good and wasn't actually available for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

haha!! that is actually v funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gabby3

took a look on the new website for ireland and hoodies are down from 140 to 41, with postage of 18!!!, does anyone know are they the same price in store, couls wait till weekend to be sure of size and save on postage <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

gabby3 wrote: »
    took a look on the new website for ireland and hoodies are down from 140 to 41, with postage of 18!!!, does anyone know are they the same price in store, couls wait till weekend to be sure of size and save on postage <snip>:

Fake website I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

That site is dodgy, I've snipped the link

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Passed by it there this evening. I'm a bit long in the tooth to wear their clothes but I think it's absolutely brilliant to have a shop like this in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 guineylab

passed by it today, wouldnt have known what it was from the outside...just saw a family with a young girl walk out and a topless guy standing behind them in the doorway....would have guessed it was some sort of club if not for the little girl :o

guineylab wrote: »
    passed by it today, wouldnt have known what it was from the outside...just saw a family with a young girl walk out and a topless guy standing behind them in the doorway....would have guessed it was some sort of club if not for the little girl :o

Has anyone been in yet?

Advertisement