Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merlin Woods wildlife

Options
  • 04-10-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

A week or so back, while walking through the woods (on a path) I encountered a young red squirrel having a feast in a hazel tree. Today I surprised a flock of about 10 goldfinches.

Anybody see anything else (more interesting than crows and pigeons) ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

About 3 summers ago I was having a bit of a ramble though the woods and stumbled across a couple in their late 20's giving it welly behind a big tree. Was a bit of a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Seaneh wrote: »
    About 3 summers ago I was having a bit of a ramble though the woods and stumbled across a couple in their late 20's giving it welly behind a big tree. Was a bit of a surprise.

so 2 animals obsessed with their nuts then...

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

pics-or-it-didnt-happen.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Caggles

Is there anyone here who uses that wood that could get me traces of all the paths through it. I would like to add all the paths and tracks to Openstreetmap

Its next to impossible to map it based on aerial imagery due to the trees covering the paths but I know there are more there because I can see glimpses.

You can see the current state of the mapped paths in the forest here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Get yourself a gps and go for a wander.

Thanks, I have one and have been using it for the last year to map most of Galway City and a chunk of Galway county, just looking for help from people who know the forest as I don;t so I would likely miss some paths

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I hope those paths stay as they are, just seen a poster go up on the noticeboard on the Tur Uisce side of the park in Doughiska saying that a bus corridor is planned to go through that area. i thought that idea had been dropped.
    Was being talked about on another thread on here.

It would have a pretty immediate negative effect on any wildlife in those woods, not sure what of the woods would still be remaining either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

apart from that it would be really nice to know which paths through those woods lead where. I've tried to walk into the hospital grounds to get to particular parts of the hospital a few times at longish, several month intervals and still not worked out the best way to do so. Think I thought I'd got a route worked out a couple of weeks back and then found what I think was one end obstructed by a dumping place for plant cutting/trimmings from the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stevolende wrote: »
    I hope those paths stay as they are, just seen a poster go up on the noticeboard on the Tur Uisce side of the park in Doughiska saying that a bus corridor is planned to go through that area. i thought that idea had been dropped.
    Was being talked about on another thread on here.

It would have a pretty immediate negative effect on any wildlife in those woods, not sure what of the woods would still be remaining either.

The bus-corridor is still part of the District Plan.

I don't know if there's budget to build it, but it's still officially on the table.

The school access road is another thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere already but there is a facebook group that has started up called Friends of Merlin Woods. Lots of photos and info

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

If a bus corridor goes through the woods it will ruin it,cab they just keep some things as they are.
    People use the woods to
    Let the dogs off the lead,take their kids and not have to worry about traffic and it's a bit of nature in the city.

Merlin squirrel : if you love the woods meeting in Ard Resource centre Doughiska Rd Tues 23rd 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Miseliz

Is there anyone here who uses that wood that could get me traces of all the paths through it. I would like to add all the paths and tracks to Openstreetmap

Its next to impossible to map it based on aerial imagery due to the trees covering the paths but I know there are more there because I can see glimpses.

You can see the current state of the mapped paths in the forest here
    Hi, just saw this. Did you find someone to show you round the tracks in the woods? I know most of them as I walk there every day with my dog.
    Be interested to see it on open street. Didn't know about it.

Hi Miseliz, no I didn't get anyone. You feel like volunteering?

There are a few possible ways to go about it

GPS
    If you have a smart phone with GPS on it, use that to record your route each time you walk through the forest (aiming to cover all paths at least twice or more due to interference from the trees)

Then you can either add the information and map the paths yourself on openstreetmap (I can help you with this)
    or
    You can email the GPS tracks to me and I can do it

Walking Papers
    With this option you take along an aerial image of the forest with you as you do your daily walks. (I can talk you through how to use the walking papers website if you wish) Each time you walk down a path, you literally mark it on the imagery as you are walking.

Then, you can either use that to add it to openstreetmap yourself (again, help is offered if needed)
    or
    scan or post your tracings to me and I will add it to openstreetmap for you

If you are interested in helping, let me know what way you wish to go about it.

I would love to be able to do this myself, but to be perfectly honest the best result for something like this is going to have to come from someone who knows the forest and the paths well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pmcb

bus route through merlin woods well underway, currently constructing bus stop in the middle of the woods. this is going to be a total disaster. a stand alone bus lane...a dream from night time joyriders....must be stopped...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Anyone got a link to this bus route. Can't quite get my head around why they're bringing a bus corridor through there, when there's a good road infrastructure nearby. Is there a cycle lane attached to the bus corridor?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

pmcb wrote: »
    bus route through merlin woods well underway, currently constructing bus stop in the middle of the woods. this is going to be a total disaster. a stand alone bus lane...a dream from night time joyriders....must be stopped...

Got any pics?

Are you sure that what you're seeing isn't the stand-alone bus access lane to the new school site?

AFAIK there isn't actually a road through where the plan for the bus-corridor goes as yet, so I'm puzzled that they could build a bus-stop ... but anything is possible.

As to why they're doing it: look at the aerial view on Google Maps sometime. It would cut a few minutes off the trip for coaches coming from Dublin (= tourists, which = money). But it's at the expense of ruining one of the few woodland recreational / amenity areas in the east of the city, and cutting a neighbourhood in half with a high-speed / high volume road. And as you say, the likelihood of anti-social behaviour at night.

Oh .. and because it's been in the district plan since the Celtic Tiger was strutting his stuff, and very few people objected through the planning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

pmcb wrote: »

Not a bus stop. From what I've gathered, they are putting in allotments - as in gardens for locals to sign up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I met a young fox this morning while walking through the woods

I saw a couple of red squirrels a couple of days again and loads of different butterflies .....it was such a thrill to see the red squirrels ,it's been a while since I saw them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Caggles wrote: »
    I saw a couple of red squirrels a couple of days again and loads of different butterflies .....it was such a thrill to see the red squirrels ,it's been a while since I saw them:)

Any recommendations of areas to look for them? The young lad would love to see one if I could keep him quite enough.

The one I saw around the time of the OP was near the small unofficial entrance from Sruthán Mhuirlinne
    Around here
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Merlin+Park+Regional+Hospital,+Galway+City,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=53.280576,-8.99563&spn=0.001822,0.004066&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.456673,66.621094&oq=merlin+park&t=h&hq=Merlin+Park+Regional+Hospital,&hnear=Galway,+County+Galway,+Ireland&z=18

but I'd say they move around a good bit. Now and the next few months is probably a great time to be looking, with the hazel trees fruiting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

The Red Squirrel and its habitat are protected under Irish and E.U. law so how is it that a road through Merlin Woods is being considered ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The Red Squirrel and its habitat are protected under Irish and E.U. law so how is it that a road through Merlin Woods is being considered ?.

I think the bus corridor has been "cancelled" at this point.

But for a second just wait, feck the squirrels and it's habitat - thats only one portion of reason the amenity should remain as it is. There are lots of people who use this on a regular basis and with a bit of spruce up/development would make an excellent amenity for the thousands of people living in the sprawling estates in Doughiska, Roscam and the large older estates in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

kippy wrote: »
    I think the bus corridor has been "cancelled" at this point.

But for a second just wait, feck the squirrels and it's habitat - thats only one portion of reason the amenity should remain as it is. There are lots of people who use this on a regular basis and with a bit of spruce up/development would make an excellent amenity for the thousands of people living in the sprawling estates in Doughiska, Roscam and the large older estates in the area.

The point I was making was that nobody should have been even considering putting a road through a protected area.

It's ok for you to say " feck the squirrels and its habitat" but, like it or not, they are a protected species, and unlike the greys are a native species, and a lot of people already get enjoyment out of the woods without affecting the squirrels in any way.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    There are lots of people who use this on a regular basis and with a bit of spruce up/development would make an excellent amenity for the thousands of people living in the sprawling estates in Doughiska, Roscam and the large older estates in the area.

Its fine just the way it is, no need for development. IMHO. Lets not get into a political debate though, back to the wildlife.....

Advertisement