Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could this work in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Would a broken link work in Ireland?does it work in Holland?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Page won't load but I presume it's another 'make them all sweep the streets or do other scut-work!!' load of crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What a novel idea!

I, for one, think this wonderful new idea will be welcomed by all and implemented swiftly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

Link fixed :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Noel Dempseys Den

Meanwhile, the OP at his day job..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF1B48Y85J4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

What would the Council street sweeping staff do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It would never work here, the Irish would steadfast refuse any such proposal. The Dutch seem to be taking to it though, I like how they built around the idea of serving your community and giving something in return for state assistance. Gives people a sense of self worth and purpose, especially when coupled with educational and back to work schemes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Dutch seem to be getting more money for it too.

€830 as opposed to €752 here for a single person and €1200 for someone with a family.

Pretty sure if they offered such a scheme here the majority of unemployed folks would sign up for it.But nah,we prefer if someone would work full time at no expense to a multinational company to get vital experience stacking shelves for an extra €50 on a Jobridge scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I like the theory. If you can't find or create a job, the state will create one for you, instead of giving you money to do nothing. It would make it more difficult to sponge on the dole.

In practice... it might cost more that it's worth to administer. I'm not sure how productive anyone would be, who is only in the job because it's compulsory. And it would be shot down before it ever left the ground..

Let's get prisoners working the chain gang first before we make people who've lost their jobs pick up rubbish.

Have prisoners filling in potholes during the middle of the night around the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

We already have something like this in Ireland. Just look at all the "charity shops", for instance. My brother, who never missed a day's work in decades, found himself unemployed along with thousands of others when the developer who employed him went bust.:eek:

He would immediately take a job suiting his skills if he could find one, but the dole people have now forced him to take a make-believe job in a charity shop, which employs about five others plus a couple of volunteers and probably gets about 20 customers a day. He spent last week at a course in Portlaoise learning how to lift boxes! If he hasn't figured that out by his mid-50s, I doubt if he'll learn it at a course like that.:rolleyes:

Why don't our leaders in Dublin out-Dutch the Dutch and introduce some really innovative job creation schemes?:confused:

Like, say, banning washing machines so that we can all take in each other's washing.:rolleyes:

And why stop there? They might as well go the whole hog and introduce slavery.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They'd be replaced by this scheme. I think it's better that locals take care of their own area. I think it would be good all round to start to instill some respect for your local community, if people have to clean up their own community they'd have some respect for it.

I think over all everybody should have to do some work to maintain their community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

ScumLord wrote: »
    They'd be replaced by this scheme. I think it's better that locals take care of their own area. I think it would be good all round to start to instill some respect for your local community, if people have to clean up their own community they'd have some respect for it.

I think over all everybody should have to do some work to maintain their community.
    Ok so what would the newly unemployed council staff work at ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

cloptrop wrote: »
    plenty of **** to sweep up where I live in Limerick, loads of sweeping to go around

So the headline should read 200 council jobs created but instead it says in holland the council workers would be better off on the dole .

I don't think it's necessary to have them in the first place but not all of them could be let go at any rate, you'd still need people managing and training, some machinery may require trained people to operate them.

Ok think ill give this thread a skip. Why not sack everyone and make people on the dole take their jobs . That seems to work well in the thoughts of this thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

Ok think ill give this thread a skip.
    See ya..

• Advertisement

Ok think ill give this thread a skip. Why not sack everyone and make people on the dole take their jobs . That seems to work well in the thoughts of this thread .
    Why not create a load of jobs for the sake of it so that we can sit back and complain about paying too much tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

In theory it's wonderful.
    In reality (in Ireland at least) we can tell how far the job searching advice will go: now lads, after spending a few weeks cleaning the roads and whatnot, here's what you do to get a job: leave Ireland because we have none. Now, back to doing work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

"At first I was reluctant, of course," added Maurice Hannart, 43, a former tram driver, adding: "but hey, it's better than being at home and lying in bed."
    Well fair play to them for perpetuating the false dichotomy of either being gainfully employed or lying in bed all day. And in an article about working for your dole no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

It'll never work here because we're entitled to our benefits, not like those lazy cannibas smoking dutch :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Well if my cleansing dept neighbour is anthing to go by it would be the same as usual.
    His day goes like this, starts at 8am, arrives home 12 noon sometimes earlier if the corpo truck has a load of timber for his fire, back to work 2.15,
    home again 3.15.
    The road sweeper truck has 2 guys on board, the passenger does nothing, just seems to be along for the ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Sure it could and has..was'nt that the CE schemes??
    Id say it could be implemented as an option ..so when the economy rebounds the interviewee has some positive experiences to explain what they did during the unemployment...Im sure many would rather work than be on the dole..maybe they offer a sweetner to folks that take it on.

ScumLord wrote: »

Interesting point. My initial reaction is agreement.

Advertisement