Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 OR 8 SUBJECTS

• 04-10-2012 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

do you think doing 8 subjects is too much? do studies say that the more subjects u do the higher ur points?? i know its ur only best 6..so y do so many people do 8 or 9 ?? im doing 8 atm but seriously thinking of dropping history although ive done a year of it ( given a useless teacher this year )... would like to here any feedback pls???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

mariecxx wrote: »
    do you think doing 8 subjects is too much? do studies say that the more subjects u do the higher ur points?? i know its ur only best 6..so y do so many people do 8 or 9 ?? im doing 8 atm but seriously thinking of dropping history although ive done a year of it ( given a useless teacher this year )... would like to here any feedback pls???

Hi, I don't think that by doing more subjects will get you more points. If anything it makes it harder to balance your workload. I only did seven subjects myself but I found even that a struggle. I know some people do 8 subjects because they have an interest in the subject/ entry requirements/ doing 2 ordinary level subjects etc.

History is a very heavy learning subject as I'm sure you know by now, it seems a shame to give up now but if it's really having a negative impact on your other subjects it might be best to drop it. Without knowing how well you're doing in history it's hard to make a judgement. I personally worked very hard at hiistory and I only got a C1 in HL but that was only my ability in the subject. Perhaps talk to the career guidance teacher at your school if you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Brokk

Im, in 6th year now and i am studying 7 subjects. I did Accounting outside school for a while but found the 8 subjects too much! its really down to the person but i would suggest giving it up unless you are doing a few pass subjects, in that case keep it on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mariecxx

Nicole. wrote: »
    History is a very heavy learning subject as I'm sure you know by now, it seems a shame to give up now but if it's really having a negative impact on your other subjects it might be best to drop it. Without knowing how well you're doing in history it's hard to make a judgement. I personally worked very hard at hiistory and I only got a C1 in HL but that was only my ability in the subject. Perhaps talk to the career guidance teacher at your school if you have one?

yes history is very difficult but have a riduculously deluded teacher who seems to have the idea to get the WHOLE course covered in one year.. i get good grades in history at usually B1s and A2s however if u saw hw bad this new teacher was u would understand my decision to drop it ! i decided to take up economics outside of school and apparently its easy to get an a in (im only doing my subjects for high points).. im only doing ol maths so maybe just the 7 subjects could be beneficial as I could just focus on them? my only worry is that I will seriously regret dropping it later on...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 katierab

I did 8 subjects for my leaving cert last year (one outside school) and found it to be okay. We had three teachers who retired at the end of 5th yer so it was awkward to get used to the new teachers and their teaching methods. However, that being said I did my own studies and worked hard at each subject sometimes readin ahead or learning more than was given. I think, if you are only doing subjects for high points you might need to consider and 8th subject as a back up. I did art as my backup and found it easy enough. (the papers very predictable). Also if you do LCVP it's easy to get a distinction if you have a good portfolio. This can give you 70 points which you can use as substitute for a subject you scored low in. At the end of the day it's entirely your decision as only you know what you're able for and what you can achieve. Good luck in the exams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Unoriginal Choice3

The economics paper has a huge amount of choice on it, probably why its considered easy but you do need a good grasp of current affairs, as many of the questions can relate to them, or invole appyling the material learned as opposed to just regurgitating it like you would in history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mariecxx

katierab wrote: »
    I did 8 subjects for my leaving cert last year (one outside school) and found it to be okay. We had three teachers who retired at the end of 5th yer so it was awkward to get used to the new teachers and their teaching methods. However, that being said I did my own studies and worked hard at each subject sometimes readin ahead or learning more than was given. I think, if you are only doing subjects for high points you might need to consider and 8th subject as a back up. I did art as my backup and found it easy enough. (the papers very predictable). Also if you do LCVP it's easy to get a distinction if you have a good portfolio. This can give you 70 points which you can use as substitute for a subject you scored low in. At the end of the day it's entirely your decision as only you know what you're able for and what you can achieve. Good luck in the exams!

thank you very helpful ! :)

Advertisement