Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Bourgionne

Options
  • 04-10-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I am having a few friends over on Saturday for supper & thinking of serving Beef Bourgionne, and I have two questions.

can any one reccommed a good red wine for cooking with, good price too:) and what would be best to serve with it, I dont think rice would go. Was thinking about garlic potatoe. or even mash, but thats hard to keep warm.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As far as I know you use a Burgundy wine for beef bourguignon. You shouldn't use plonk that you wouldn't drink for cooking.
    You could boil baby potatoes until tender early in the day, then just drizzle them with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and roast them for half an hour in a hot oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I always use garlic mashed potatoes with beef bourguignon and go with a rich burgundy wine... Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think the marginal gain from using a proper bottle of wine or specifically using a burgundy doesn't justify spending a lot on said bottle.

That said, you can get drinkable apellation controlée french wine for less than 8€. That's generally what I use and it always turns out delicious.

I often serve mine with tagliatelle and some nice bread.

Happy enough just using boiled spuds otherwise. The juice from the bourguignon is what makes the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Lidl or Aldi was doing a bottle of burgundy for €7. I've cooked with Chianti before and it's perfectly fine.
    Mash is lovely with a good hearty Bourguignon. If you worry about keeping them warm, why don't you try and make a Mash Casserole? You can make them ahead and throw them in the oven before guests arrive. I've used this recipe and it worked out fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Lidl or Aldi was doing a bottle of burgundy for €7. I've cooked with Chianti before and it's perfectly fine.
    Mash is lovely with a good hearty Bourguignon. If you worry about keeping them warm, why don't you try and make a Mash Casserole? You can make them ahead and throw them in the oven before guests arrive. I've used this recipe and it worked out fantastic.

Even the next day mash reheats quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Agreed - mash is the way forward, and it reheats perfectly in the micro!

Dont spend more than a tenner on the wine...as someone said the gain is marginal but dont use absolute cr@p either :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

Birdsong wrote: »
    I am having a few friends over on Saturday for supper & thinking of serving Beef Bourgionne, and I have two questions.

can any one reccommed a good red wine for cooking with, good price too:) and what would be best to serve with it, I dont think rice would go. Was thinking about garlic potatoe. or even mash, but thats hard to keep warm.

thanks

Whatever wine you decide to gor for you should marinate the beef overnight in the (boiled) wine with carrots, onions and celery along with bouquet garni. Then strain the wine the next day and use as a base for the sauce. Adds so much flavour to the dish.

You can keep mash warm in a covered dish in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Thanks a million for all the reply's - all so helpful, looks like mash is the way to go so. Will look at keeping it warm in the oven

Advertisement