Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Ireland treats its Asylum Seekers exposed by the Guardian

• 04-10-2012 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/03/asylum-seekers-ireland-magdalene-laundries

The above link is from The Guardian outlining the hideous way we manage the asylum seekers that end up on our shores. I find it shameful. In particular the paragraph I have extracted below.

Unable to access education, employment or frequently even to cook for themselves, asylum-seekers are accommodated and fed, and granted an adult weekly allowance of €19.10 (rates that have not changed in real terms since their introduction over a decade ago).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Guardian is gospel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Perhaps they should seek asylum in any one of the dozens of countries they passed over/through on their way here.....
    Apart from that UK Guardian readers are considered very, very xenophobic so it would seem odd that this particular paper is attempting to make a case for asylum seekers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

seems to be more about the laundrys....which all asylum seekers would be provided with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

sure are they not all havin a grand aul time down in mosney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's a rather maudlin piece but the speed at which applications are processed is very difficult to justify, particularly since it must be costing the state an absolute fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would have little pity for those that are continuously coming over here looking for opportunities when they know that the country is currently in bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Free food, somewhere to live and a bit of cash.... They get enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

They are fed and accommodated, most claim they come from hell like places so food and relatively safe accommodation must be like heaven for them, what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Apart from that UK Guardian readers are considered very, very xenophobic so it would seem odd that this particular paper is attempting to make a case for asylum seekers.

Another well informed individual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I would have little pity for those that are continuously coming over here looking for opportunities when they know that the country is currently in bits.

Someone obviously doesn't understand the asylum process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

I wonder what an Irish person would get off say the Nigerian Government if they decided to turn up in their country.

I can guarantee they wouldn't get free housing, free food, free electricity, free heating, free clothes and €19.10 p/w like they do here. They should all be shipped back to wherever they came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

who else has 20 euro left over after food light heat and rent these days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

The Guardian is gospel?

No, the Guardian is the truth.
    Everything in the Bible, gospels included, is bullsh!t :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I wonder what an Irish person would get off say the Nigerian Government if they decided to turn up in their country.

I can guarantee they wouldn't get free housing, free food, free electricity, free heating, free clothes and €19.10 p/w like they do here. They should all be shipped back to wherever they came from.

Bertie gets €40grand for a few hours work.

Chinasea wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/03/asylum-seekers-ireland-magdalene-laundries

The above link is from The Guardian outlining the hideous way we manage the asylum seekers that end up on our shores. I find it shameful. In particular the paragraph I have extracted below.

Unable to access education, employment or frequently even to cook for themselves, asylum-seekers are accommodated and fed, and granted an adult weekly allowance of €19.10 (rates that have not changed in real terms since their introduction over a decade ago).

Walk around O'Connell street at 3pm any week day and look at the amount of Africans hanging around the gpo in brand new clothes and 150 euro Nike runners, I call bull****. They must do shift work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Walk around O'Connell street at 3pm and look at the amount of Africans in brand new clothes and 150 euro Nike runners I call bull****. They must do shift work :rolleyes:

Sure all Africans are asylum seekers...... oh oh oh are us Paddy's not all alcho's too!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

afraid no point posting this in AH chinasea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

humbert wrote: »
    the speed at which applications are processed is very difficult to justify, particularly since it must be costing the state an absolute fortune.

True

It could be helped if you got your case heard and then one appeal and then that was that

That Pamela Izevbekhai from Sligo went through 4 sets of lawyers and years of appeals with her forged documents and her many lies

If you keep letting people appeal no wonder it takes years to make a decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

The article didn't mention the amount of money spent on prams, therefore I don't believe a word of it. They're all up in mosney having great craic, bad a all drogheda is it's better than being in a warzone & they make plenty of money busking on the main street:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Walk around O'Connell street at 3pm any week day and look at the amount of Africans hanging around the gpo in brand new clothes and 150 euro Nike runners, I call bull****. They must do shift work :rolleyes:

...all Africans are asylum seekers waiting to be processed now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Perhaps they should seek asylum in any one of the dozens of countries they passed over/through on their way here.....

You obviously dont read the Grauniad regularly!

I read the article last night via the Grauns iPhone app - dreadful soppy piece - and an insult to all those who endured the Magdalene laundries!

Nodin wrote: »
    ...all Africans are asylum seekers waiting to be processed now?

Not all, the others are waiting on their appeal to be heard;)

PapaQuebec wrote: »

I read the article last night via the Grauns iPhone app - dreadful soppy piece - and an insult to all those who endured the Magdalene laundries!

Well you would say that, wouldn't you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

They should all be shipped back to wherever they came from.
    No.
    The cases found not to be genuine should be sent back.. the decision process just needs to speed up. Seriously some of these people need our help, surely we're not so inward looking that we can't see that.

feelpablo wrote: »
    Sure all Africans are asylum seekers...... oh oh oh are us Paddy's not all alcho's too!!!!

I would imagine 90% enter claiming asylum regardless of what part of Africa they are from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

The Guardian is gospel?
    I have not read the piece, and to be honest have no intentions of doing so.

However, from what was stated by posters are factually true. They only get e19. But, they do get free accommodation. However, some places are utter dumps not fit for habitation, this has been proven! Some places have been closed down.some business have made loads of money providing for these places,at expense of the taxpayer, yet utterly failed in their duties. Some places are decent however, Limerick is suppose to be ok. They do get some travel expenses to see their doctors and lawyers, they get legal aid for some legal matters, they do get medical cards.

The major problem is the length of time one goes through th process, from entry, to appeals, to High Court (legitimate cases) and subsidiary protection cases. Geniune people may take 4 year to go through the process and even more.make worse, Fo those who are not in need of assistance that is 4 years o more o free living an delaying the inevitable.

However, the work proposal is utterly ridiculous! Goodbye to ever getting the. Them out of the country when they fail their cases. Asylum is for protection not for cheats.to get into the country illegally in order to work. Solve th problem by quicker processing by actual competent staff. No delays, less whinging.

While by all means their human right must be protected, it is rather funny, considering many o these precious people ha little or no comforts back in their country are complaining about food and provision of services.

Guardian, what a bunch of parasites. They would be better off focusing on their own country's system and work on stopping so many of them entering Ireland via Belfast (common route) Britain too have problems in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

ffs
    so what, black people automatically equal asylum seekers?
    even though I know to expect it, still amazes me how these threads manage to bring out the knuckledraggers

This being AH I'm not a bit surprised by this post.. It's still a seriously ignorant, arrogant and downright racist post. Something really to be ashamed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

wprathead wrote: »
    ffs
    even though I know to expect it, still amazes me how these threads manage to bring out the knuckledraggers
    I've met loads of Nigerian princes through email.

• Advertisement

Careful, they might be legal residents via our lovely Irish born child rule back in the day.( whether they are Irish, or their sibling is) They may no longer be asylum seekers.

So if they or mammy work,thus what they were is none of our business, however if Mr social welfare funds such tastes ......

XWho knows they might be fake Nike......

Careful, they might be legal residents via our lovely Irish born child rule back in the day.( whether they are Irish, or their sibling is) They may no longer be asylum seekers.

So if they or mammy work,thus what they were is none of our business, however if Mr social welfare funds such tastes ......

XWho knows they might be fake Nike......

Shouldn't they be claiming asylum in the first country they land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I've said this before, The minister for justice at the time 2008 approx said he had a confidential report on his desk saying up to 80% of asylum seekers are bougus. I tend to believe that as most travel around,over and trough at least a dozen countries to get her, African or not.

ffs

Ignorance masked as political correctness.

not yet wrote: »
    I've said this before, The minister for justice at the time 2008 approx said he had a confidential report on his desk saying up to 80% of asylum seekers are bougus.

He was probably just appealing to the knuckle-dragging portion of Irish society looking for handy votes.. similar to those that rear their filthy heads here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I would imagine 90% enter claiming asylum regardless of what part of Africa they are from.

Instead of using your imagination, why not just look up the actual figures? Asylum seekers only form a small percentage of [African] immigrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I read the guardian a lot and I have to say its got a rather strange attitude to Ireland (the Republic, the north and Henry McDonald (an ex sticky) has its own strangeness) perhaps because it looked to Ireland as an example in the boom, I mean their complaining about the 19 euro a week which I admit is very little, but if you think of the UK welfare rates that people have to feed and clothes themselves on and the recipients of which are UK citzins its a bit hypocritical

Boombastic wrote: »
    Shouldn't they be claiming asylum in the first country they land?

No. Dublin regulation.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Instead of using your imagination, why not just look up the actual figures? Asylum seekers only form a small percentage of [African] immigrants.

Link please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

bbam wrote: »
    They should all be shipped back to wherever they came from.
    No.
    The cases found not to be genuine should be sent back.. the decision process just needs to speed up. Seriously some of these people need our help, surely we're not so inward looking that we can't see that.

It is the illegitimate asylum seekers that are slowing the genuine cases up to be fair. When someone can have something in the region of 15 appeals based on proven lies the genuine people are going to suffer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Biodegradable Bellend

That's just a small percentage too many as far as I'm concerned. Send them all back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

not yet wrote: »
    I've said this before, The minister for justice at the time 2008 approx said he had a confidential report on his desk saying up to 80% of asylum seekers are bougus. I tend to believe that as most travel around,over and trough at least a dozen countries to get her, African or not.

But the mistake that many make is to equate this 80% figure with 80% of African immigrants.

As mentioned before, in this and other threads, asylum seekers form only a small percentage of total immigrants.

latenia wrote: »
    Another well informed individual

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

asylum-seekers are accommodated and fed, and granted an adult weekly allowance of €19.10 (rates that have not changed in real terms since their introduction over a decade ago).

They are better off then our own homeless as we come close to winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Meh, obviously the numbskull contingent here are barely even worth acknowledging, but this stuff about "we" Irish and what "we" should feel "shame" for etc is just yet more self loathing.
    Ireland is a pretty good place to be an immigrant/asylum-seeker, it is not a rabidly racist society - no matter how much self loathing types want it to be.

ffs

whether you like it or not, the stats from dept of justice for the past 15 years would make it on a balance of probabilities that their parents were part of that system, they themselves might b Irish citizens. Oh and before you off on one, the stats for work permits are easily accessible on the net too. Hey maybe they had eu citizenship from other countries.

Maybe engage the auld brain before running your mouth off seeking to protect them. I would not say that 90 % of Africans or their families came by asylum originally , complemented by 'marriage' or births. But I would be more than dighted to successfully prove that these so called knackers have made a valid point. You wan to live in ignorance fine but don't spread it on this site, at least have evidence to back up what you say.

Not even the refugee NGOs would dare come out an say that th perceptions raised by other posters was incorrect.

The following can be found on dept of enterprise , refugee appeal and refugee commissioner websites,

Stats as to country and year of applications when status was granted or refused for the last 15 year's ie refugee status (tells you who came from where) and work permits/green cards.

Justice website INIS.gov.ie have similar stats for visa ans student visa applications.

According to supreme court cAses of bode/dunno, over 17,000 adult availed of inc 05 scheme, (many Chinese ans other Asians too, it only refers to adults, non Irish children, naturally allowed to stay and register themselves once they turn 16). This figure would have gone up circa 2000 more after dimbo case. In light of zambrano a possible another 1000 individuals.

Justice does or at least had the stats for nationalities availing of inc and do still have stash for marriage to eu nationals, not just Africans mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

smash wrote: »
    I've met loads of Nigerian princes through email.

If you've a problem with them, stop spamming them. :pac:

Why don't you do the same too! Where is your back up for this ? I'm am sure any member of the gnib would find that rather amusing.

You taken into account other family members who come after wards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some good points raised in the article but it's ruined by its appeal to emotion and spurious comparisons to things like the Magdeline Laundries.

If things are so bad here for asylum seekers then why are the majority of people housed in Mosney so reluctant to be more incorporated into wider communities?

Things could be done a lot better here, the process is ridiculously slow, but it's nowhere near as bad for people as that article makes out. And of course since it's seen as racist now you can't make any logical argument about the fact most genuine asylum seekers could not afford to make it as far as Ireland without passing through other 'safe' countries along the way.

The reason the UK grants asylum to 4 times more people than us is because they have certain arrangements with countries that they are currently at war with. A far greater % of the UK's (compared to our own) asylum seekers are from Afghanistan and Iraq.. that's not coincidental.

Besides it's not like Chinasea to post stuff about how awful the Irish are. Living up to his own worst nightmare as usual.

PapaQuebec wrote: »

What the fcuk is the Grauniad ????
    If you are referring to The Guardian then you really should pay more attention when you are regularly reading it.

@ PapaQuebec.Apologies...a quick google shows me what you meant.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement