Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Ireland treats its Asylum Seekers exposed by the Guardian

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Pottler wrote: »
    So why do they come here? For the climate? I'm not getting into a big row, but this island is small, there's not that much work for the indigenous population as it is, I like it the way it is tbh, and feck anyone who disagrees with me ... but I reckon Ireland has a capacity to absorb, and it's close to that now. America is a kip to me, btw, as is the UK. Just saying like...

Hmm. What are you saying, exactly? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

People like yourself and the pc brigade will not rest happy until they go to their graves where a white man in Dublin centre is a rare sight, or so your points would infer albeit discretely.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

old hippy wrote: »
    Hmm. What are you saying, exactly? :confused:
    Well, Old Hippy(:D), I'm saying we've a capacity we can absorb without becoming a mini-UK. I quite like Ireland as is ta, happy out tbh, not really shopping for a cultural change, or a multi-cultural one either. Basically. Go figure. Not planning on lighting any crosses or donning any robes etc, can't say it's my no.1 worry, or even no.1000, but there you go. It's just my own opinion, it might well differ from other peoples, which is hardly surprising as apparently I'm Hitler incarnate - anyway, I've decided to launch a 4th Reich, it sound like a good idea. it might involve going to bed and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Nodin wrote: »
    That's nice. Presumably thats what they said when the paddies and italians arrived in America.

Seeing as you mentioned the paddies and italians who arrived in america you know that before they were allowed enter the country proper they were medically examined and many were turned away because of medical conditions.

So therefore you've no problem with refugees getting the same treatment here?
    Seeing as many of them come from sub saharan africa where aids is rife I think you've pointed the way to an excellent idea

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

On does hope they guardian have spent her as much time scrutinizing over the UK treatment as it has over Ireland

Don't worry. That's one of their favourite subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Apart from that UK Guardian readers are considered very, very xenophobic so it would seem odd that this particular paper is attempting to make a case for asylum seekers.

I'd suggest you check your sources there chief

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I hate idiots who think that any foreign person is an asylum seeker.

People should learn the difference between an asylum seeker and an immigrant before talking about all the black people they see near the GPO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Fuinseog wrote: »
    which is ireland and britain. they claim in both countries.

Many using different names and nationalities in each country according to the last link I posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'll bet they'd complain even more if the government sped up the asylum process and their cases were dealt with in a week or two and they were then returned to the last country they passed through on their way here.

If things are as bad in their own country as many of them claim then I'm sure they're more than delighted to be provided for generously here while their cases are processed.

CJC999 wrote: »
    I'll bet they'd complain even more if the government sped up the asylum process and their cases were dealt with in a week or two and they were then returned to the last country they passed through on their way here.

If things are as bad in their own country as many of them claim then I'm sure they're more than delighted to be provided for generously here while their cases are processed.

They probably find their lives here difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

They are free to leave any time they like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

The less asylum seekers in this country the better, its time we looked after our own people first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

So it would appear that many of the posters seem to think that the Bogus mainly 'non white savages' should be grateful to be living in :

cramped totally inadequate conditions
    isolated from the rest of the society
    an 'allowance' of €19.10 per week
    hated HATED by the local people outside the detention gates
    absolutely nothing to do all day
    no education, no means of integration no hope insight

I hang my head further in shame as a person, as an Irish person.....

Chinasea wrote: »
    So it would appear that many of the posters seem to think that the Bogus mainly 'non white savages' should be grateful to be living in :

cramped totally inadequate conditions
    isolated from the rest of the society
    an 'allowance' of €19.10 per week
    hated HATED by the local people outside the detention gates
    absolutely nothing to do all day
    no education, no means of integration no hope insight

I hang my head further in shame as a person, as an Irish person.....
    They are free to leave Ireland anytime they want, maybe they should take the hint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

These people are entitled to more in hand outs (im not messing) than i am.As far as im concerned they can go and ****e!

Slurryface wrote: »
    They are free to leave any time they like!

Where do they go and how do they get there?

Where do they go and how do they get there?
    The Government will happily repatriate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

These people are entitled to more in hand outs (im not messing) than i am.As far as im concerned they can go and ****e!

Are they really? Such as.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Obviously our asylum process is stupidly slow, might be quicker if there weren't so many bogus claims, but its hard to have sympathy when ALL of them chose to bypass many safe countries on their way to this rainy little rock.
    And surely if they are seeking asylum, even our meager offerings of free food, accommodation, money and schooling must be an improvement on what they've left behind?
    I do wonder how many are skipping through dozens of safe countries to seek asylum here now that the economy is in the toilet and that having a child here no longer guarantees citizenship, compared to the numbers of the early/mid 00s. Is this still the promised land?

I don't blame anyone for seeking a better life but our asylum system is clearly flawed and open to abuse and there are a lot of piss takers. If it's so awful here why not leave? 250 of our natives are doing so daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Nodin wrote: »
    Are they really? Such as.....

Everything they have i cant get,im self employed and still living at home.If i loose my job in the morning im entitled to absolutley nothing!Ive been down this route before and after a means test i was told there was nothing for me.****in sham system,someone that was born raised and who pays taxes here is entitled to less than a ****in asylum seeking freeloader

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Nothing is wrong with immigration and diversity is a good thing, to a point!
    People like yourself and the pc brigade will not rest happy until they go to their graves where a white man in Dublin centre is a rare sight, or so your points would infer albeit discretely.

I don't know why people like you get so irate when someone even mentions diversity being a bad thing or even hinting at controlling it, they are immediately labeled racist.

See, that is racist. The opinion that Ireland is not Ireland unless it's a white. Racism, pure and simple. There's a lot more to being Irish than being white. Phil Lynott, Paul McGrath, are they not Irish?

You can harp about the "PC brigade" etc but it doesn't change the fact that what you've said is racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

fearcruach wrote: »
    Nothing is wrong with immigration and diversity is a good thing, to a point!

I don't know why people like you get so irate when someone even mentions diversity being a bad thing or even hinting at controlling it, they are immediately labeled racist.

See, that is racist. The opinion that Ireland is not Ireland unless it's a white. Racism, pure and simple. There's a lot more to being Irish than being white. Phil Lynott, Paul McGrath, are they not Irish?

You can harp about the "PC brigade" etc but it doesn't change the fact that what you've said is racist.
    Oh give over,its clearly not what the poster meant.

Oh give over,its clearly not what the poster meant.

What exactly did he mean then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

the comparison with Magdalene Laundries is bogus - there is no comparison.

If conditions are so bad here, there always the possibility of returning to the country of origin - the RIA will even provide assistance (including financial) if the person is from one of the Accession States - only 416 took advantage of this provision in 2011, which might suggest that things, relatively speaking, are not too bad here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I would have little pity for those that are continuously coming over here looking for opportunities when they know that the country is currently in bits.
    They are victims of the NWO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I would have little pity for those that are continuously coming over here looking for opportunities when they know that the country is currently in bits.

As opposed to staying where they came from and facing death/rape/imprisonment?

Thats impossible to justify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

What exactly did he mean then?

If you immediately label all opposing ideas on immigration as being racist, then you're not having a proper discussion.

The point he was making was that you are closed to discussion of an alternative. He's not asking you to accept the alternative, merely to talk about it.

By labeling all opposing views as racist you're essentially going "ostrich head in sand".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

CruelCoin wrote: »
    If you immediately label all opposing ideas on immigration as being racist, then you're not having a proper discussion.

The point he was making was that you are closed to discussion of an alternative. He's not asking you to accept the alternative, merely to talk about it.

By labeling all opposing views as racist you're essentially going "ostrich head in sand".

The question is simple: Do you have to be white to be Irish?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The question is simple: Do you have to be white to be Irish?
    To be Irish, no.
    To be ethnically Irish, yes.

CruelCoin wrote: »

As Pherekydes said, my question is simple. Does Ireland/Irish people have to be white to be Irish? Is the colour of the skin of the population important to determine whether or not someone is Irish? Because it seems to Ricky Whining Fig that it is.

I'm all for having a discussion on immigration but when someone says something racist, I am perfectly entitled to say it's racist. I didn't say preventing immigration was racist, I said that the notion that "a white man in Dublin centre is a rare sight" is somehow the apocalypse, is racist.

Saying that asluym seekers = black/non-white is a racist generalisation.

• Advertisement

To be Irish, no.

I would be of the belief that your ethnicity is not important. If you're Irish, you're Irish, it's irrelevant what ethnicity you are.

I would be of the belief that your ethnicity is not important. If you're Irish, you're Irish, it's irrelevant what ethnicity you are.
    Thats nice.
    Why are black Americans called African Americans then? They havnt been near Africa in 300years.

Thats nice.
    Why are black Americans called African Americans then? They havnt been near Africa in 300years.

I don't agree with that either. It's stupid. America is the only country that does that. England doesn't refer to African-English etc. You are English regardless if you are white or black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

To be Irish, no.

The quote in question is:

He never mentioned Irish. He only mentioned white, but implied Irish.

Thats nice.

Nothing to do with the current discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I don't agree with that either. It's stupid. America is the only country that does that. England doesn't refer to African-English etc. You are English regardless if you are white or black.

Not true, their census mentions race ( including white Irish). I agree with your sentiment, though.

But you have to be Irish to be Irish.

Wait till they see how Ireland treats its citizens :eek:

Wait till they see how Ireland treats its citizens :eek:

Oh that doesn't matter you racist:eek:

only joking:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

There seem to be a few things that are making it hard for people regarding Asylum seekers..

Lots of irish people don't really know the difference beteen an Asylum Seeker, economic migrant, and illigal imigrant so its handy (particularly if you have racist tendencies) to lump them all together as non white "Asylum Seekers", there black, yellow or brown so they couldn't be Irish and therefore they must be Asylum seekers, therefore they are leeches on our Irish society.

The government are pityfully slow at processing Asylum claims, mother of god its costing a fortune so would we not be better throw more resources at the process and reduce the burden on the state.

Unfortunitely during our hard times we are more inward looking and less interested in the suffering of others.. People think that because they have less money to spend, water charges and property taxes looming that they are the hadrest done by nation there is.. No interest in understanding the genuine cases of hardship where families are systematically murdered, genocide is a way of life, women and young girls are routenily raped as a control mechanism, young men are mamed or killed to reduce their future threat.

Many people in Ireland have no idea how good they have life compared to the suffering that others must survive. Never mind that we are loosing our "Chead Mile Failte", we are loosing the humanity that the Ireish were renowned for.

I for one am embarressed and ashamed when I hear Irish people talk like this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Okay. Locking this as it's only going to go one way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement