Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who would be the first name down on your EPL dream team ?

• 04-10-2012 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Ok just a bit of fun .

You have to name one player that would be the first one on your team sheet.

You can choose any player from the EPL and explain why ?

Vincent Kompany.

Why:
    The guy is a consistent high performer week-in-week out and imo is never found wanting even when City are having a bad game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Balloteli. Hes cool and has nice hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Aguero - Best forward in the league

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Fellaini. The guy is class.

And for the 'fro, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Luis Suarez- If I was a defender I'd hate playing against him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Joe Hart. Best goalkeeper in the league at the minute and can put in some truly heroic performances and is rarely at fault if City concede a goal. Witness the heroics of last night's performance against Dortmund; without him, City could have fallen by 2 or 3 goals. A class act, and he probably has another 10-15 years left in him as a top goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Robin Van fúckin' Persie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

^ what he said.

Just 'cos..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Carlos Tevez

On a football pitch he just has it. He is a match winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Gareth Bale.
    The guy has so much pace and ability on the ball. A nightmare for any right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

jason lee

cause he's got a pineapple head

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Leiva wrote: »
    Ok just a bit of fun .

Vincent Kompany.

Why:
    The guy is a consistent high performer week-in-week out and imo is never found wanting even when City are having a bad game.

Not been great so far.
    DazMarz wrote: »
    Joe Hart. Best goalkeeper in the league at the minute and can put in some truly heroic performances and is rarely at fault if City concede a goal. Witness the heroics of last night's performance against Dortmund; without him, City could have fallen by 2 or 3 goals. A class act, and he probably has another 10-15 years left in him as a top goalkeeper.

If this thread was started this time yesterday would you say this? Doubt it. Been average this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Has to be Van Persie

Yaya Toure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Robin Van Persie

Dragged Arsenal to 3rd last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Silva/ Kagawa / Mata type player. They make things happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Van Persie. I would say same if he was at Arsenal still and doing what he is doing.

Kompany not far behind.

You could pick 20 players here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

While i can see why Yaya Toure and Bale would jump out at people it has to be Van Persie. So many goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Stewart Dowing.

Because Anagram is: Twat on Reds Wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sergio Aguero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yaya - absolute beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Andy Carroll

Just to piss off pool fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Djimi Traore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ashley Cole. Simple really. One of Englands only truly world class players.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Yaya. Stick him behind a striker with explicit instructions to run at defenses.

Carnage ensues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Peter Crouch

cos he just shouldnt work, but somehow does :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Underwhelming choices compared to la liga but Yaya for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Has to be Yaya, a class above everyone in the league as a dominating midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

Luis Suarez- If I was a defender I'd hate playing against him

so would i, between the diving and the racial abuse . it would be a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Wayne Rooney. A team built around him would be immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

efb wrote: »
    Robin Van Persie

Dragged Arsenal to 3rd last season

Currently dragging United around also.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Currently dragging United around also.

He drags who he wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Nuri Sahin :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

simples Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Ok just a bit of fun .

Vincent Kompany.

Why:

First name on the teamsheet? Has to be Joe Hart really.. I don't think Kompany, Yaya, van Persie or any of the others mentioned would be much use in goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Robin van Persie currently the best striker in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Yaya would be mine (Man Utd fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Tevez. Then Aguero. On form both these players are better than RVP imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Clint Dempsey.

Because fcuk you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Thread lacks Demba Ba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Joe Hart. Best keeper in the league, top 3 in the world probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Rio Ferdinand cos Woy wont!

Genuine answer though is Vidic,what a rock when fit,Perfect model of a centre half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yaya Toure if he's interested. The guy is untouchable when he's in the mood.
    Vincent Kompany.

Why:

Have you watched City this season? We've been crap and he's been crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Wayne Rooney.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Wayne Rooney, the affect that he has on the team was plain to see against Spurs. There's very few like him that can make such an impact in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Prick! wrote: »
    Yaya Toure
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yaya - absolute beast
    Ares wrote: »
    Yaya. Stick him behind a striker with explicit instructions to run at defenses.

Carnage ensues.
    JPA wrote: »
    Has to be Yaya, a class above everyone in the league as a dominating midfielder.
    tvercetti wrote: »
    Yaya would be mine (Man Utd fan)
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yaya Toure if he's interested. The guy is untouchable when he's in the mood.

The unequivocal love in with Yaya Toure baffles me. He is an excellent player and I would have him in my team no question....but he has a fairly severe flaw as a midfielder. Why isn't everybody talking about the fact that after 60 minutes in every single game he strolls around the place and barely runs at all? In every close up shot he looks like he is about to collapse with exhaustion.

Watch for it. It's like clockwork. He stops tackling and stops tracking runs and just strolls about until he gets the ball. That's fine when he is playing off the striker.....but he usually isn't and is part of a midfield shield that is supposed to be defending his back four. And he doesn't do it. There is a reason City are shipping goals and he is part of it.

He looks a few stone overweight. It isn't all muscle before anybody wheels that old chestnut riposte out. People used to say that about Old Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, etc. It's fat.

Those barnstorming runs are amazing to watch and he scores his share of important goals but, just like Joe Hart, I feel the media just gloss over his flaws. I find it hard to fathom that anybody would pick Toure as the best player in the league. The same Toure that Barca discarded as he was surplus. That tells you something. Barca requires a certain work ethic when you don't have the ball that Toure sorely lacks.

Xavi6 talks about him "being in the mood" and "being interested". This alludes to it a little bit. He is either unfit or simply lazy. That's allowed...... no footballer is perfect. But it is a bit of a pet peeve of mine that I don't hear it said more often.

JPA mentioned him being a dominating midfielder. I would counter that a guy like Dembele fits that bill perfectly with the difference being that he does it for 90 minutes where as Toure does not.

Anyway, my pick would be RVP. Terrific goal scorer. If I couldn't have him I would take Aguero. World class strikers are a rarity and it's the most difficult position to get right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Kirby wrote: »
    He looks a few stone overweight. It isn't all muscle before anybody wheels that old chestnut riposte out. People used to say that about Old Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, etc. It's fat.

I always have a good lol at this in the media. Rooney comes back after pre-season and it was kind of glossed over, the odd pundit said he didn't look "fit". It basically took Fergie to call him a fat mess before everyone else joined in on the bandwagon even though it was clearly he was at least a stone overweight. When Tevez came back last season and was overweight, to a lesser extent than Rooney, they couldn't wait to have a go at him. Same as Andre Santos for Arsenal last year. Although I disagree with you on Toure, whilst I think he's vastly overhyped (just recently, same thing happens every year when someone gets a few very good games under their belt, and it'll die down again in a few weeks; he was shít against Dortmund), I don't think he's overweight.

I'd take Tevez over anyone. He's a mad little bastard and has motivational problems (which never seem to translate to the pitch when he's actually on it) but he's unreal. Top work rate and world class player, it's not often you get the 2 of those in one man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kirby wrote: »
    Why isn't everybody talking about the fact that after 60 minutes in every single game he strolls around the place and barely runs at all? In every close up shot he looks like he is about to collapse with exhaustion.

See this is as bad as the pro-Yaya comments you're complaining about.

Watch the last half an hour of United at home and Newcastle away from the end of last season and come back to me.
    Watch for it. It's like clockwork. He stops tackling and stops tracking runs and just strolls about until he gets the ball.

True, it does happen but you're being disingenuous by not painting the whole picture.

When that is the case it's usually once he's been pushed further forward and is basically carrying the attack, more often than not when City need a goal. He has a much bigger workload than anyone else on the park so if he doesn't track back with two other central midfielders on the park then that's fair enough. No doubt he'll be needed to run 50 or 60 yards shortly to start another attack.

What I do have a problem with is the laziness shown when he's one of the central midfielders, like against Dortmund, and that's when I said "when he's in the mood" in my post.

Don't see that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He has a much bigger workload than anyone else on the park so if he doesn't track back with two other central midfielders on the park then that's fair enough. .

I don't have a problem with the odd rest when you are a forward or playing off the front "in the hole" as they say. But as I said, he usually isn't. Especially this season as Barry hasn't featured as much as usual and De Jong is gone. He is usually part of the two holding players like he was against Dortmund. That wasn't a one off. Watch for it this weekend. It will be the same story.

I'm not bashing the guy. I still think he's terrific and a rare enough player. It just always struck me as bizarre that so few people ever mention the fact that he looks like he is going to collapse every time the camera pans to him. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

4 pages and no mention of Santi Cazorla ? I think he is an absolute gem of a player, movement, energy, creativity.

For me he will be as good as Fabregas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement