Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Card Issue!!

Options
  • 04-10-2012 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I am medical card holder and have been a recipient of Disability since 03
    Recently I was involved in a car accident and went to my local doctor for
    Medical assessment have been going there four times since August where I received medication for neck pain, I then received a letter from my local Medical Centre stating that I was in arrears of 180 EURO because I have made contact with a solicitor with a ongoing case it was only after this I got the letter,
    I have no idea of the processes I have only lately contacted legal help and I am now in a situation where I cant afford to go for check ups or have prescription refills, Being already 180 Euro in I am baffled to the point of having a medical Card. Nothing sure in the world so I don't know why I'm getting charged..
    Do I have any rights regarding this Matter and if I do where should I go to get assistance or Maybe report this..
    Thanks in Advance to any reply's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, I'd pass on the bill to the solicitor and it would be included in any settlement. The Health Board are looking to be reimbursed from any settlement that migt be made. The solicitor should be able to advise you on payment for doctors/therapists/prescriptions etc in relation to your case. Good luck.

Ephraim.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Write back to whoever sent the letter, asking for clarity.

My understanding is as follows, but it may be incorrect, so you will need to get this in writing from whoever sent you the letter.

You are entitled to medical care and drugs on the medical card. That means you can go to your doctor, get your pills, and this is free.

BUT

A medical assessment for an insurance company is not medical care, it is a legal report and is not therefore covered by the medical card. My guess is that you have been charged 180 for the assessment only, but if you go to your doctor tomorrow and just ask for a prescription this is medical care/drugs and there is no charge because you have a medical card.

However, you need to clarify this with the people who sent the letter to you.

I know that in public hospitals as a public patient you cannot be charged if you have a medical card, unless there is a compensation case pending. In this situation, you will be billed for the full economic cost, but you don't actually pay it. If you win compensation, it comes out of the compensation, but if you don't get compensation, it is covered by the medical card.

A medical assessment is different - this is not medical care, so you must pay for that, even if you get no compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yea, the bill seems to be for the Medical Assessment. As previously advised you should gave that to your solicitor for inclusion in your claim. Dont be worried about the GP getting paid. He/She will get paid from the claim, whenever that is concluded. GPs are well used to these Assessments & you will not be at any disadvantage for your normal medical needs.

Advertisement