Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP identifying this worm / insect / grub?

• 04-10-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have spotted numerous little dead 'things' in an old house that we are considering purchasing. Its an old farmhouse, renovated and extended.

Engineer says no visible sign of woodworm but upon close inspection today I found LOTS of these dead little grubs / worms. Approx 5mm to 15mm in length, all located in corners / edges of wooden window frames, in corners (all wooden floors) and near skirting boards. :eek:

They aren't all over the property and certainly we did not see them u[on first viewing, house has been empty for last few months.

ALL help identifying them would be hugely appreciated before we proceed further! As before, all of them are dead. Pics attached:

Worm7.jpg

Worm6.jpg

Worm5.jpg

Worm4.jpg

Worm1.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

look like dead centipedes :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Dont think they are centipedes - ALL are located in groups / clusters in corners of window frames, or corner of skirting and wooden floor. You would expect more random spread with centipedes??

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

Think they are millipedes, they are in alot off houses around me this year for some reason, thinks its the weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Did you say rennovated????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Thanks Massey - another person mentioned millipedes too so I'd say you're right. Relief to hear they dont damage houses and are harmless to the structure *phew* but we'll have to look at the outside and remove mulch or dark, moist vegetation close to building. Its sorrounded, on the level, by grass, trees.. great :rolleyes:

Renovated Paddy - I should have said extended! That was about 8 years ago, house pretty much empty since hence the new visitors, yuch. Hopefully all small but rectifiable jobs. What would your opinion be?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Thanks Massey - another person mentioned millipedes too so I'd say you're right. Relief to hear they dont damage houses and are harmless to the structure *phew* but we'll have to look at the outside and remove mulch or dark, moist vegetation close to building. Its sorrounded, on the level, by grass, trees.. great :rolleyes:

Renovated Paddy - I should have said extended! That was about 8 years ago, house pretty much empty since hence the new visitors, yuch. Hopefully all small but rectifiable jobs. What would your opinion be?

Id say its needs to be very very well cleaned down and maybe fumigated.

8 years more or less unoccupied and very musty would be a nice time frame for those creatures to make their new home allright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

if you think they are millipedes be very careful as they are attracted to moist areas
    and usually prefer to exist in heavy overgrown areas if indoors you could possibly have quite bad dampness problems as paddy has pointed out fumigation at the least
    but pest control companies should be able to advise the best course of action

there main source of food is wood mulch and dead leaves etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

they seem to be a spiders leftovers since they are all in same location

Advertisement