Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$5000AUD for WHV in Australia, Surely not!

Options
  • 04-10-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Heading to Australia in a couple of weeks on a working holiday visa. I've been granted my visa already, and while filling out my visa application form it mentioned nowhere that you needed at least $5000AUD to enter the country. I've been in contact with friends living over there and they said they were not checked...Basically, am i at risk of being deported heading over with less (€2000?) or am i fairly safe? Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

Fairly sure it's a bigger requirement for some other nationalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Don't quote me on it but I would say 'fairly safe'.

The fact that you have a sizeable sum of money (even if it is a little bit less than AUD$5000) and can speak English (makes finding work easier) means they'll look more favourably upon you. You aren't arriving with zero money, zero work prospects and no means of supporting yourself. If pushed they may ask to verify with someone back in Ireland that they can send money if required.

Basically they don't want you becoming a drain on the state, social welfare, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 patdel321

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Don't quote me on it but I would say 'fairly safe'.

The fact that you have a sizeable sum of money (even if it is a little bit less than AUD$5000) and can speak English (makes finding work easier) means they'll look more favourably upon you. You aren't arriving with zero money, zero work prospects and no means of supporting yourself. If pushed they may ask to verify with someone back in Ireland that they can send money if required.

Basically they don't want you becoming a drain on the state, social welfare, etc.

Ok, I'm definitely quoting you on that. Any backlash from my trip and you'll be held solely responsible ;) ....Ya i'm fairly optimistic. One of my friends headed over with $-400 from the states, so i'm a little bit more well to do than him.Thanks!

Advertisement