Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dubliners: Beware (might concern people in other cities too).

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Feck I better stop wearing my Blue tshirt when im out on the prowl in town,people might think im a weird scientologist when im talking to kids talk about morto.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Casillas wrote: »
    They also claim to have 8 million members in their 'Church', when independent studies puts the figure at 150,000.

Then again, their founder was a writer of fiction, so in a way they're following in his footsteps.
    Ah sure despite their famous members(and "member" is the right word) its mission impossible to get people to fall for their spaceballs these days. I'd have imagined Ireland was about their crappiest recruiting area -"Ya wha Bud? Would ya go and S****!" Anyone remember when these clowns were on Abbey Street offering their "personality tests"? I always wanted to take the test to see if they had a class of personality for "Cynical, pi55taking smart-4rse". The Hari's I actually quite like, nice food if anyones ever eaten in one of their "Govindas", but the whole religion bit about them is bonkers - but I find them harmless enough and quite good fun when you just regard them as an amusing diversion/funny dance-troupe.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Pottler wrote: »
    Ah sure despite their famous members(and "member" is the right word) its mission impossible to get people to fall for their spaceballs these days. I'd have imagined Ireland was about their crappiest recruiting area -"Ya wha Bud? Would ya go and S****!" Anyone remember when these clowns were on Abbey Street offering their "personality tests"? I always wanted to take the test to see if they had a class of personality for "Cynical, pi55taking smart-4rse". The Hari's I actually quite like, nice food if anyones ever eaten in one of their "Govindas", but the whole religion bit about them is bonkers - but I find them harmless enough and quite good fun when you just regard them as an amusing diversion/funny dance-troupe.

Hare krishnas are the least troublesome and most passive of any religion in the world, muslims/christians take note!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Hare krishnas are the least troublesome and most passive of any religion in the world, muslims/christians take note!
    I actually really like them, I have no issue with them at all, I even take my kids to Govindas if we are in London - they love the grub! I just like winding them up when they are out recruiting, I don't do it in a nasty way, I just have a giggle with them - I sort of regard them as a bit of a half-way house for the economically bewildered. I still have a sneaky, dark feeling that there might be a big fat Guru in a gold plated room somwhere eating swan, grapes and being pleasured by the latest pretty "Disciple".:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Is it just illegal drugs they are against? Surely alcohol/tobacco do far more damage to the human race than say cannabis, etc

No, they are against every drug, from Prozac to a disprine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

How did the people that are taken in by this stuff even make it to college?
    the autism service am in residential care under has a high functioning autistic supported living service user who is uni educated [college here is lower than ireland,think college in ireland is our uni sort of thing],he is a scientologist and goes all over the country on 'rallies' with them trying to spread the good word of...eh....aliens and bullsh.
    he is very clever,but have wondered if scientology appealed to him because they think ASD doesnt exist and thats how he was treated his whole life which created that belief in him.

inteligence isnt what drives religeon or a lack of,having a lower IQ/mild or borderline intelectual impairment creates accute difficulty in understanding religeon regardless of how many times it is put across to us,it is a very difficult concept to get a grip on; impossible for some of us.
    so many religeon supporters have big IQs-people are probably at a vulnerable,difficult, depressed,deeply bored, or confused point when they get into any cult or religeon and this becomes a crutch/a pacifier for them to comfort themselves with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Most of the scientologists that are out on the streets are not privy to the upper-level alien nonsense that you have to pay serious Dollars/Euros $$$$ to reach.

If you watch this youtube clip and tell the ones you meet all the spoilers in it, they will run away crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bbm1

In the student areas in Belfast after a Thurday night in the Bot (predominantly Catholic disco) there will be free Presbyterians handing out religios booklets, and on certain nights tea and bacon sandwiches! i dont think they are doing it cos they think the students are hungery but strange that a religion that doesnt believe in drinking decided to target drunk students for its new member! But they do make excellent tea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

bbm1 wrote: »
    In the student areas in Belfast after a Thurday night in the Bot (predominantly Catholic disco) there will be free Presbyterians handing out religios booklets, and on certain nights tea and bacon sandwiches! i dont think they are doing it cos they think the students are hungery but strange that a religion that doesnt believe in drinking decided to target drunk students for its new member! But they do make excellent tea

I am almost certain they aren't freebrysby's, I'd be 99% sure they are from Rock Community Church and are running a "Street Pastors" program.

There might be some freebrysby's with them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 bbm1

Seaneh wrote: »
    I am almost certain they aren't freebrysby's, I'd be 99% sure they are from Rock Community Church and are running a "Street Pastors" program.

There might be some freebrysby's with them though.

I remember chatting to 1 of them before and he said he was a freebrysby! I think the Rock Community Church is the ones who have a church in the Holylands, have the bbq on Halloween for the students! Last year they had a man to make balloons for us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

bbm1 wrote: »
    I remember chatting to 1 of them before and he said he was a freebrysby! I think the Rock Community Church is the ones who have a church in the Holylands, have the bbq on Halloween for the students! Last year they had a man to make balloons for us

The street pastors thing would be done in a few spots around the city in fairness and is actually do between a few different churches.

The lads in Rock Community are sound fella's.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

think I saw one Tom_Cruise handing out pamphlets... and beck hansen is reported to be performing a secret show with the emphasis on 'spoken word' apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Pottler wrote: »
    So they're Cruiseing around roping in new cultists? That's Travolting.

I wouldn't like to meet them down a dark Kirsty Alley :P

Advertisement