Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have all the collectors gone?

Options
  • 04-10-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Things seem to be slow around here lately, I used to come on here now and then to learn something new or see some interesting awards, or get a different point of view. It has gone awful quiet - what gives, Even the few posts made hardly get a response or discussion, that posts of new items sometimes feel like "cataloging".

Perhaps people are simply hoarding :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Personally speaking, I don't have the dosh anymore to buy stuff and it has now gone the other way. I am offloading stuff to put bread on the table. I was talking to one of the dealers and he says that most collectors collect to hedge against inflation and he would have expected that lots of collections would have appeared on the market but a strange pattern is forming. Those who have items of value are keeping them, instead of selling them at less than they paid initially. Who would have forecast that when a collector needed the money from his collection that the price of it had plummeted by around 30% instead of increasing?. He also says that there are still buyers out there but they want the items from old collections just coming on the market and not the same old stuff that has been at the fairs for a long time past.
    We have had our day and enjoyed our bits and pieces, that time, for me at least, has past and my priorities have changed. Perhaps when this 'r' word has passed it may get back to the way it was.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Yep, same here, holding on to what I got, selling off absolutely superflous items. For me, it's a bad time collecting at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I hear you both, as you will have noticed, I have not been putting up much lately either...

But that does not need to stifle discussion. Keep the interest going or learn something new perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I think there's a certain weariness involved. I know from myself, I feel too tired to contribute more to discussions after moderating. Also, my home life/work life does not permit much boards interaction anyway so when I log in it's mainly to check on some threads I have an interest in, clean up some areas in need of moderation and log off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Things seem to be slow around here lately, I used to come on here now and then to learn something new or see some interesting awards, or get a different point of view. It has gone awful quiet - what gives, Even the few posts made hardly get a response or discussion, that posts of new items sometimes feel like "cataloging".

Perhaps people are simply hoarding :pac:

you are right-it has become quiet. I have asked questions on this forum and either got no response or had to wait weeks.
    maybe the economic climate has affected things.

• Advertisement

That may be but you get weary of posting if there appears to be not much interest. Like my earlier comment, it can seem like cataloging rather than conversing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

That may be but you get weary of posting if there appears to be not much interest. Like my earlier comment, it can seem like cataloging rather than conversing.

I still get the odd medal, but they are nothing special and feel they would not be of interest. I also know some collectors who would think nothing of spending a grand on a single medal and I operate on a more modest budget..

but you are right. the forum does need more conversation. I for one have learnt an immense amount here.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

I am struggling to find any free time because I started a full time course in DIT as a mature student. This also means no income now and no funds for collection.

Hopefully back in business after 3 years time :).

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

Was the curse of emigration
    Laid you low my Collecting Bonn

It is terrible that the greatest recession since 1929 is affecting the collecting community so negatively.

Therefore I would like to offset that with the "HerrScheisse Happy Buy Out" alll antiquities catered for, the uglier the history the better!

Third Reich your way to Australia! Use your Independence to gain your Independence - contact HS for details ;)

• Advertisement

Kudos Phaeton for your study! My respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Unfortunately, I am another recent addition to the unemployed list, and as a result, my collection has had to suffer, with most of it already sold off and more than likely the small amount remaining will follow. :(
    So, my participation on the forums has been a bit lack-lustre of late, but when I can answer a question I still do make the effort. Not much EK questions here lately though!

- Dan

I am very sorry to hear that Dan. I hope things pick up soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

It is terrible that the greatest recession since 1929 is affecting the collecting community so negatively.

Therefore I would like to offset that with the "HerrScheisse Happy Buy Out" alll antiquities catered for, the uglier the history the better!

Third Reich your way to Australia! Use your Independence to gain your Independence - contact HS for details ;)

Ha ha ha!Brilliant! :D:cool:

I have been up to my eyes with one thing or another over the last year so I am guilty as well. But it is a shame that regardless of new items or not that the discussions or posting of "trivial" things has ended. What is trivial to one person is of great interest to another, or new knowledge. I will start a new thread that I have been meaning to for ages....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I'm in the same boat, no work, no money, no interest coming on here to see what other people are able to afford. It looks now like I wasent missing much in the way of new additions anyway. I'm packing the family up and moving to New Zealand in January and I am having to sell off my small collection to fund both it and pay a few bills before I go.
    I had to sell my two beautiful EK2's including your Wächtler & Lange Danpatjoe. Very sorry to see them go, they are now in Australia! I hate to sell anything else because I dont think I will get anything near what I paid for them but times are dictating that I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

What part of NZ are you in? I am moving down there in January. What is the TR militaria scene like down there? i saw a few reenactment groups online but havent looked into the collecting side of things much. I'm having to sell most of my collection to fund the move.

EDIT for MOD: You can transfer this to the "Where are the collectors gone" thread if you want, I only saw it now.

Hey,

I'm in Auckland for the moment. Honestly have no idea what the TR scene is like down here, I'm only going to be here for a year so I've put that hobby on the shelf for a while.

I only looked at one or two websites for small dealers around the Auckland area (still trying to find one nearby that I can pop into if and when I get a chance), but have found nothing special or unusual as of yet.

Good Luck with the move!

On a somewhat unrelated topic, I've heard that the likes of the Auckland War Memorial Museum are meant to be good.

Advertisement