Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from VHI to Laya

Options
  • 04-10-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

For the past year I've paid for my own health insurance with VHI. Its paid by direct debit each month.

However I've now moved jobs and my employer will provide health insurance with Laya health care.

I'm just wondering if I can switch easily from VHI or will they they try to apply a penalty ? I assume I can just cancel my VHI policy and join Laya with no waiting periods ?

Cheers,
    Jack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Alan152

shouldnt be any penalties cost wise as the market is free for you to roam around. You should only have a waiting period for any new cover in the new policy as such. I.e what you have now will automatically be covered on the new plan if you compare like with like. If you move to a better policy with more hospitals and more cover, you will serve the waiting period for the extra benefits or some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭higgins_j

Thank for the help,

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would ring the vhi and tell them that you wish to cancel your policy as your employer is now paying for your insurance with Laya.
    Ask the VHI for a fax number were you can send them a letter in writing to let them know this. When you get the cover with Laya let them know that you were with the VHI and the name of the policy you had.
    Laya will contact the VHI in regards to this but once send a letter to VHI it means that any waiting period you have to date will be taken into consideration when change insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Alan152 wrote: »
    shouldnt be any penalties cost wise as the market is free for you to roam around. You should only have a waiting period for any new cover in the new policy as such. I.e what you have now will automatically be covered on the new plan if you compare like with like. If you move to a better policy with more hospitals and more cover, you will serve the waiting period for the extra benefits or some of them.

isn't there an admin penalty though for cancelling the policy mid year? maybe it doesn't apply to moving policies but I remember there was uproar at the time VHI introduced the admin fee for cancelling a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭higgins_j

Ya seems that there is an admin fee. Basically if you have claimed from them over the last 12 months of the contract they expect that you will pay the remainder of the contract once you switch. I claimed for 1 doctors visit so Im stick with VHI until the new year now. Sucks really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement