Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - newbie!!

Options
  • 04-10-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

I guess I find myself here 'cause I would like to build a new PC

1. What is your budget? €??? not unlimited but lets keep it between 1 and 2 thou... (When i explain what I want, most will probably advise me to build two pc's

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Try not to get banned on first post but Ultimate aim is to convert all my DVDs and Bluray to MKV or similiar and store digitally (All discs are owned by myself)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes, W7 with XBMC

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? HDTV 1080P (pioneer kuro)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No, but open to suggestion (MCE Remote)

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes by <20%

8. How can you pay? Credit/Debit card

9. When are you purchasing? Soon

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Work North Dublin, Live North Wicklow

Am I banned? I read the forum rules but afaik it is not illegal to make 1 copy of your disc as backup under EU leg... as long as you own the disc.

Anyway if Im not banned, Ive been reading the HTPC thread on Home Entertainment section and other like Toms hardware etc. which are great but not definitive, obviously they can't include all scenarios.

My requirement is to build a system which is powerful enough to convert collection to digital format w/o taking forever to do it And then a lighter low power silent system for viewing such media and streaming capability online, all in the one box! At the same time I dont like loud tower PC boxes, Id prefer something that would not look out of place under the TV (Settop box style or probably similar size to AV Reciever)

I probably should build two seperate systems but would like the idea of having the best of both worlds. Problem is I dont know what I need for these, Ive read that an i3 would be perfectly adequate for HTPC use etc while video conversion is all about clock speed and multiple cores, of course when the collection (200 Bluray and 400 DVD approx and growing) gets converted what need for the heavy PC.

I will want DVB T and S tuner card and recording capability too, silence when viewing movie is paramount as is video quality (HDMI, optical out etc.)

Probably too much here for a first post, sorry! I am open to offers for building this jalopy, although asthetics is v important

Thanks, O

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is your PC going to serve any purpose other than viewing videos after you're done? i.e., gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ory

Thanks for your patience, Im having vodafone problems with broadband!

No, once I have collection digitized, my only requirement will be a bog standard HTPC for playing or streaming video content, photos and light MS Office use etc. viewing on my TV via HDMI

Although from time to time I may require the option of adding to my collection, though the Conversion time would not be as relevant then.

You've got me thinking now! Maybe a middle of the road solution then and just convert a few films at a time - but the silence and fanless cpu is high on agenda?

Rgds, O

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

all you need is cheap low/med HTPC build with massive storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I'd wait for some FM2 ITX motherboards to show up, so you could use a trinity build. They're pretty good for video things if the software can make use of it's powerful integrated GPU.

This is what I'd go for (sans motherboard, of course)

Item|Price
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€52.62
    AMD A10 5800K Black Edition mit AMD Radeon HD 7660D Grafikeinheit, Box, FM2|€119.00
    8GB-Kit G.Skill Ares PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-28|€45.92
    Asus BC-12B1ST Blu-Ray Combo bulk|€59.90
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€66.00
    WD Caviar Green 3000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€135.44
    Arctic Alpine 64 Plus Sockel 754/939/AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+|€8.49
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€88.90
    be quiet! SFX Power BQT SFX 300W|€43.22
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€638.48

I'm no expert on HTPC and DVD stuff, but that build should do pretty good. I added in another PSU even though the case already has one because the PSU that I picked should be much quieter. Same goes for the CPU cooler. I also threw in a 3TB Green drive as they are much quieter than WD Blues or blacks.

Hope this helps :)

Thank guys!

Is this Trinity system a high powered CPU/GPU/? I like the look of the spec and price, less than I expected thx! I especially liked the look of the Arctic heatsink fan thingy c/w PWM control (seems very advanced) would this spec be overspecced for basic htpc duty i.e. oversized compared to Atom dual core

The case though would need to look more like a sky box style i.e. wider than tall.
    Is W8 worth getting at this stage? Would it be XBMC compatible

Thanks again, O

Ps is there a service in Dublin to the conversion of discs to hdd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

ory wrote: »
    Thank guys!

Is this Trinity system a high powered CPU/GPU/? I like the look of the spec and price, less than I expected thx! I especially liked the look of the Arctic heatsink fan thingy c/w PWM control (seems very advanced) would this spec be overspecced for basic htpc duty i.e. oversized compared to Atom dual core

The case though would need to look more like a sky box style i.e. wider than tall.
    Is W8 worth getting at this stage? Would it be XBMC compatible

Thanks again, O

Ps is there a service in Dublin to the conversion of discs to hdd
    Your budget was quite high, so I took advantage of it :D. The whole point of Trinity is a mid-range CPU (Think i3) with an extremely powerful integrated graphics unit. It absolutely destroys Intel in that aspect.

The case I chose is one of the smallest you're going to be able to get, by the way.

Windows 8 might actually suit this build, yeah.

I'm not sure about putting CDs on a HDD, I presume you just copy and paste the data?

Thanks again,

Yes my budget was high as I hadnt a clue apart from building a Dell (i wonder how many people return to dell, my experience with XPS laptop was poor)

I think you might be bang on, Id read that the I3 option might be better than the Atom processor - if the Trinity is similar to i3 with kick ass graphics that might fit the bill.

The case i want is more like this:
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1597.html although It is pricey, will the components you specified fit? Would to HDDs side by side be better than one big one (not raid)

How long before an FM2 Motherboard comes to market?

Of course if Im building a regular old htpc maybe Im in the wrong thread?
    Thanks for all your help.

Rgds, O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Be aware that the cases in that line are nearly always a lot bigger than they look. Any ones that fit a few hard drives in anyway.

FM2 is ou, it's just the small ones, mini-ITX size that we're waiting for. The manufacturers have announced them a good while back so it shouldn't be long as I expect they wanted to get the main sizes out the door first.

Hi Monotype,

Yea I know what you mean hadnt thought of that, yea it says its 105mm in height which is 4" in Thats big. I would have expected probably 2U of a rack!
    Maybe full size cards would fit then? Are these cheaper?

When are the FM2 socket motherboards suitable for the AMD A10 that EBoggles mentioned coming out, if I wait am I in for a lenghty session of thumb twiddling!

Thanks, O

Sorry, I see you already answered the FM2 question! I got all flustered on the size of the Moneual case.

O

• Advertisement
Advertisement