Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coopers IPA & Cascade Hops

Options
  • 04-10-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I will finally get around to making the Coopers IPA this weekend. Ended up buying 100g of Cascade Leaf Hops.

I was thinking of doing a hop tea with about 30g of Cascade and then after a week into the fermenter, dry hopping with a additional 30g of Cascade? Is that a bit overkill usage on the hops?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

If it was me I'd boil the dme(if you are using some) with 30 grams of cascade for 15 minutes & then dry hop with another 30 grams after a week. But to answer your question, No definetly not overkill...Should make for a lovely beer. Chr1st I love cascade!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

I will finally get around to making the Coopers IPA this weekend. Ended up buying 100g of Cascade Leaf Hops.

I was thinking of doing a hop tea with about 30g of Cascade and then after a week into the fermenter, dry hopping with a additional 30g of Cascade? Is that a bit overkill usage on the hops?

No such think as overkill when adding hops for aroma :) When making exract or all-grain brews wth 60min boils you have to be careful not to make it too bitter, but dry hopping or hop teas are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I am actually sipping on this exact brew atm, i dry hopped with 50g for 1 week in secondary after a forthnight in primary. Tastes amazeballs( the new word for goodness in the boards beer world)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Thanks Lads.

Just finished making this and is fermenting away now. I did a hop tea using 30g Cascade. It smells delicious. I will dry hop another 30g in weeks time.

Quick question, how should I store the remaining hops and how long can I keep them? Reckon after I dry hop next week I should have around 40g left

For now I have put them in a tuber-ware lunch box and put them in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

whack them in the freezer and they will keep perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I did a hop tea using 30g Cascade. It smells delicious.
    Did you make it on boiling water? Did you taste it? My own experience of hop teas is that they add mostly bitterness.

My own experience with dry hopping (and hopping in general) is that there is a law of diminishing returns. Adding 60g instead of 30g might only give you 10% more of what you're looking for.

Advertisement